Phillipou

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Phillipou

B.M wrote: Mon 25 Dec 2023 8:18pm Honestly

Does your wage matter?

Because I can tell you, I do not work for free or some award - I work to get paid

Work to live not live to work imo

AFL footy is not a hobby for players, it’s a career.
I haven't earned wages in while.

When I stopped I had to focus on output.

The income is never enough

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

When I first pulled on a pair of boots the last thing I thought about was money

As time went on nothing changed……for good reason :wink:

SaintWiki
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Mon 25 Dec 2023 11:05pm When I first pulled on a pair of boots the last thing I thought about was money

Some of the kids who just want to play AFL know there's money in it and if their not chasing the big bucks, their manager will be. :wink:

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintWiki wrote: Tue 26 Dec 2023 9:56am
The Fireman wrote: Mon 25 Dec 2023 11:05pm When I first pulled on a pair of boots the last thing I thought about was money

Some of the kids who just want to play AFL know there's money in it and if their not chasing the big bucks, their manager will be. :wink:
Some of them let their dads do the talking. Especially the ones who grew up in a champion footballers house.

There dads made a pittance and their grandfather probably weren't paid much, if anything at all.

AFL is thriving.

Saints58
Club Player

Big Max wrote: Fri 22 Dec 2023 9:24am
NickyDal wrote: Thu 21 Dec 2023 6:58pm The kid hasn't even cemented his spot in the best 22 and you guys are acting like he is a God
He did play every game last season, so he's obviously quite cemented in the eyes of the selectors. Although to be fair, I may have personally rested him a few times in favor of Billings.

Phillipou reminds me of George Young, who was a superstar in my opinion. We didn't see Young's early career, he came to St Kilda as an established WA champion.

There are very few 1st season rookie 18 year old's who manage to play every game in the season. Off the cuff, I can't think of any. It's a real accomplishment for any player to have the physical resilience to play every game, especially the youngest in the entire competition. We witnessed patches of class, even brilliance. The coaches obviously rate him, my guess is that he does what he's told and does the small team things. By all accounts he's driven to succeed, a natural leader and a professional.

If we could sign him for 3 years at $750k I'd say we're getting a very equitable arrangement.

Georgy was a great player playing as a undersize FF and doing well