Goals

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goals

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 20 Dec 2023 1:10am
skeptic wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 10:53pm ...

There was a level of dysfunction there in movement and maybe forward structure once we had the ball north of centre.
It's a tempting thesis isn't it...

Between the 17th June and the 6th of August, Max played in five games.

We lost four, dismally.

And we won one, by 8 points, against a diabolically broken down West Coast.

At that point, (remember we had already dropped the Hawthorn game earlier without Max and been absolutely clobbered by Adelaide, again without Max) I thought, 'here we go' , our little fairy tale is over. THose late season wins against Richmond and Geelong, plastered over a few cracks and restored some faith. And we were having a crack for sure, even in the dismal mid-season slump patch.

I am still a tad flummoxed by the final.
I thought the forward line was a mess and I worried about Caminiti etc. King looked strong, for sure but was covered. Sharman tried and Cam was pretty much a disaster area, , if a talented one. Butler's misses were shocking, but the mind had already passed into a state of alarm by then. We went into half time at 6.6 and they were 10.5. Tsunami. But shouldn't we have then clobbered them? We couldn't.

We kept cracking and lost the second half by just a point.
In the final, I thought Sharman showed his potential, but I thought the forwards didn't do enough to own the contest, King could have moved around lot more and kept the GWS backs thinking, but just stayed put- not sure if that was a coaching thing, or just how he played the position. I also thought the Caminiti selection was pretty ordinary- we didn't need another slow tall. We did well to get there, but maybe Lyon, if he had his time again, might have set up the play a bit differently.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

It’s a lack of cattle imho .
How many of our forward line would get a starting gig at a top 4 team ? King , and perhaps Mitchito ?
We desperately need a 2nd tall. Jack Hayes is all heart and will keep presenting but he is a short term solution at best.
Membrey our 3rd tall who plays as the 2nd tall is imho on his last contract. His best is behind him and still unproven if he fits RL’s game plan. I’m not putting a lot of faith into him this year.
Sharman a good 3rd tall option but
Mitchito and Pou the x-factor 3rd talls that will eventually rotate into middle and also likely be more potent threats that may keep Sharman on the fringes
Butler and Higgins are consistently inconsistent. Collard and Hotton still a long way behind these 2.
Caminiti as the 2nd tall ? Logically yes he has the build and the marking capability- but will he ever learn to play as part of a forward unit or will he forever be that player that spoils his teammates and costs us as many goals as he scores .

Mitch and Pou really are the keys

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
NickyDal
Club Player

Zed wrote: Thu 21 Dec 2023 10:45pm It’s a lack of cattle imho .
How many of our forward line would get a starting gig at a top 4 team ? King , and perhaps Mitchito ?
We desperately need a 2nd tall. Jack Hayes is all heart and will keep presenting but he is a short term solution at best.
Membrey our 3rd tall who plays as the 2nd tall is imho on his last contract. His best is behind him and still unproven if he fits RL’s game plan. I’m not putting a lot of faith into him this year.
Mitchito and Pou the x-factor 3rd talls that will eventually rotate into middle and also likely be more potent threats that may keep Sharman on the fringes
Butler and Higgins are consistently inconsistent. Collard and Hotton still a long way behind these 2.
Caminiti as the 2nd tall ? Logically yes he has the build and the marking capability- but will he ever learn to play as part of a forward unit or will he forever be that player that spoils his teammates and costs us as many goals as he scores .

Give Sharman 2 more years and he will be the perfect second tall. The double punch of King and Sharman will be the best in the comp within 2 years.

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

NickyDal wrote: Thu 21 Dec 2023 11:53pm

Give Sharman 2 more years and he will be the perfect second tall. The double punch of King and Sharman will be the best in the comp within 2 years.
Hammer will be the second tall. Assuming no one leaves in 2025 our forward line could look like this.

Phillipou/Owens (rotating on ball), Hammer, Henry
Higgins, King, Sharman

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 31 Dec 2023 10:12am

Hammer will be the second tall. Assuming no one leaves in 2025 our forward line could look like this.

Higgins, King, Sharman
With Butler off the bench bringing additional pressure.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Caminiti in defence

Why?

We are actually lighter on up forward

Howard
Wilkie
Battle
Cordy
Van Es
Schoenmaker

NickyDal
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 31 Dec 2023 11:52am Caminiti in defence

Why?

Howard
Wilkie
Battle
Cordy
Van Es
Schoenmaker
Howard, Wilkie and Battle I will give a tick.
Cordy is not good enough.
Van Es and Schoenmaker haven't even played 1 game of VFL let alone AFL so we have no idea whether they are good enough.

NeXus Nick
NickyDal
Club Player

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 31 Dec 2023 10:12am

Higgins, King, Sharman
Sharman has proven that he will be a good player. Hammer has not even cemented a place in our best 22 yet and I am not convinced he will make it.

NeXus Nick
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

My goals for 2024 are firstly to stay fit and healthy ...and secondly, to have the most prosperous and productive year I've ever had in my life.

Hoping my Saints team follow a similar path 8-)

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Sun 31 Dec 2023 12:00pm Van Es and Schoenmaker haven't even played 1 game of VFL let alone AFL so we have no idea whether they are good enough.
Van Es played 14 games for Sandy last year.

Showed plenty of promise but you don't get a ready made KPD the first year out of the draft unless they're a top 10 pick.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Why?

Howard
Wilkie
Battle
Cordy
Van Es
Schoenmaker
Why…we don’t have a TALL defender of any real quality!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Wed 03 Jan 2024 9:16am

Why?

Howard
Wilkie
Battle
Cordy
Van Es
Schoenmaker
Why…we don’t have a TALL defender of any real quality!
It's a case of why not Caminiti or Keeler for mine, and probably both at times.

One could end up CHB the other Ruck/Forward. They will both need to
intercept and King Heath, Keeler, Membrey, Sharman and Hammer can't fit in the one forward line.

I hear Keeler did some training in defence too.

Why not just develop great, all-round, tall, mobile, footballers.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 03 Jan 2024 9:22am Why not just develop great, all-round, tall, mobile, footballers.
Battle spent 3 years in limbo going back, forward, and sideways before he found his home.

That said, developing a 2nd year player a key back for 2 years then assessing a move forward (or not) depending on skills and needs is a good idea.

IMO Keeler as a modern ruckman with Marshall still in the side needs to be able to play both ends of the ground, and a year down back mostly in the VFL would help that significantly.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We don’t have any defenders of real quality???

- We have the current AA full back

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 03 Jan 2024 9:58am We don’t have any defenders of real quality???

- We have the current AA full back
The key word was TALL.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Doesn’t Wilkie play tall?

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen him on the oppos best key forward

191cm

Plays like a 197cm

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

And how did our talls do?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Obviously, I'm guessing again.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, there is a post missing.

Who did Wilkie play on in the final, how did our tall defenders do?

Wilkie is our best defender, he plays on the most dangerous forward. Other teams have really tall ones too.

We better send Marshall back or make Membrey runs lanes.

Hang on. Maybe we can try some kids.

Why?

Lol

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I can’t make hide nor hair of some of your posts?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 03 Jan 2024 12:07pm I can’t make hide nor hair of some of your posts?
I understand that perfectly well. I find it comical and really enjoy the exchange.

I hope you get something from it too.

Clearly, you don't want to be insulted and fair enough, why should I.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Maybe you try the quotation button, so you can keep up or don't.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I don’t quote

If someone is too dumb to work out what I’m referring to, that’s their problem.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 03 Jan 2024 12:46pm I don’t quote

If someone is too dumb to work out what I’m referring to, that’s their problem.
Obviously, one of us is too dumb. You learning and getting something out of it too.

Now, Billings kicking for goal, please explain, and do it as simply as you like, or just keep not answering questions.

Then you ask them, don't like the answer and change the subject with the same flawed process in another thread.

You're a Saintsational legend. Who am I to argue.

Lol

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Again,

You are all over the place

Billings??

Wilkie??

Wtf are we discussing

Maybe you need to quote?!

So I can understand wtf you are going on about???

Because I can’t make any sense out of your comments