Apart from the Saints, every Victorian team has a blockbuster......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: Apart from the Saints, every Victorian team has a blockbuster......

NickyDal wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 6:52pm
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 4:19pm New Zealand, Shanghai, Timbuktu - none have been in the past nor ever in future be happy hunting grounds for St Kilda.

Emphasis must always be on getting the 4 points - sustained success brings crowds to the games and viewers to watch on Foxtel, plus headlines in the media.

That will also force the AFL to have St Kilda play more games at the MCG.

Success will make St Kilda a destination club for elite free agents to come to Moorabbin and strengthen the team's chances for premierships - so called blockbuster fixtures are just 24 hour wonders....
I hate this attitude. Look at what Hawthorn did with Tasmania. We can do the same with NZ and make it a fortress. Unfortunately when we played games in NZ we were a bottom side so we lost everywhere not just NZ.
I admire your adventurism ND but I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

Tasmania is on the cusp of entering their own team in the comp which probably spells the end of Hawthorn and North Melbourne playing 4 home games there annually as these have been financially subsidised by the Tassie government.

Are you suggesting that our team play 4 home games in NZ every year and do you believe that will be sufficient to establish 'a fortress'?

Either way, I can't believe a Saints supporter would prefer St Kilda to play 4 or more home games in New Zealand as opposed to Marvel in front of their members and supporters.

Rugby Union has for many decades been the dominant football code in New Zealand and it is fanciful to suggest Kiwis will turn up in large numbers to watch AFL games by a lower rank team like St Kilda.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 19 Dec 2023 12:10pm
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 4:19pm New Zealand, Shanghai, Timbuktu - none have been in the past nor ever in future be happy hunting grounds for St Kilda.

Emphasis must always be on getting the 4 points - sustained success brings crowds to the games and viewers to watch on Foxtel, plus headlines in the media.

Success will make St Kilda a destination club for elite free agents to come to Moorabbin and strengthen the team's chances for premierships - so called blockbuster fixtures are just 24 hour wonders....
I hate this attitude. Look at what Hawthorn did with Tasmania. We can do the same with NZ and make it a fortress. Unfortunately when we played games in NZ we were a bottom side so we lost everywhere not just NZ.

Tasmania is on the cusp of entering their own team in the comp which probably spells the end of Hawthorn and North Melbourne playing 4 home games there annually as these have been financially subsidised by the Tassie government.

Are you suggesting that our team play 4 home games in NZ every year and do you believe that will be sufficient to establish 'a fortress'?

Either way, I can't believe a Saints supporter would prefer St Kilda to play 4 or more home games in New Zealand as opposed to Marvel in front of their members and supporters.

Rugby Union has for many decades been the dominant football code in New Zealand and it is fanciful to suggest Kiwis will turn up in large numbers to watch AFL games by a lower rank team like St Kilda.
Kiwis are just not interested in our game. Most knowledgeable footy supporters are aware of that.

NickyDal
Club Player

I'm not suggesting 4 games in NZ. To start with, I would want us to play 1 pre-season game and ANZAC day in Auckland New Zealand. Down the track we can determine whether we want to play a second game there. Eventually 2 home games each year and a pre-season game in NZ would be the perfect setup IMHO.

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
NickyDal
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 19 Dec 2023 7:03pm

Kiwis are just not interested in our game. Most knowledgeable footy supporters are aware of that.
Three games in Wellington averaged 16,000, says that your above statement is wrong. Playing future games in Auckland (population 1.7Million) as opposed to playing in Wellington 10 years ago (population 190,000), this further proves your above statement wrong.

NeXus Nick
saynta
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Wed 20 Dec 2023 12:49am
saynta wrote: Tue 19 Dec 2023 7:03pm

Three games in Wellington averaged 16,000, says that your above statement is wrong. Playing future games in Auckland (population 1.7Million) as opposed to playing in Wellington 10 years ago (population 190,000), this further proves your above statement wrong.
No it doesn't. Proves SFA.

Are you a kiwi?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We'd be better off switching a couple more home games to the MCG. Good experience for the players and not disruptive to supporters.

Getting big crowds at the G would create more of a buzz, especially if we're on the rise

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Granted, the ANZAC Day match in NZ is far, far more ideal than playing in China or Cairns. I’d be fine with it, if it was to return as a regular fixture.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 20 Dec 2023 12:10pm We'd be better off switching a couple more home games to the MCG. Good experience for the players and not disruptive to supporters.

Getting big crowds at the G would create more of a buzz, especially if we're on the rise
Absolutely! Only getting 2 games per home and away season at the G is ridiculous. At least 4 /season should be on the cards!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
NickyDal
Club Player

Sainternist wrote: Wed 20 Dec 2023 12:16pm
cwrcyn wrote: Wed 20 Dec 2023 12:10pm We'd be better off switching a couple more home games to the MCG. Good experience for the players and not disruptive to supporters.

Absolutely! Only getting 2 games per home and away season at the G is ridiculous. At least 4 /season should be on the cards!
IMHO....

2 home games at MCG - Alternating between Collingfilth, Druggies, Tiggers, Bluescum and Hawthorn
2 home games in NZ (1 on ANZAC day) - Alternating between Gold Coast, GWS, Crowlice, Port, WC and Freo
7 home games at Docklanda - the rest

NeXus Nick
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

f*** the NZ experiment. It's a waste of time and will never work. NZ has had plenty of opportunity to embrace AFL and they never have. Union is so engrained over there. They don't even take to League. Why would AFL be any different. Look after your own backyard. Look after the local supporters. They are the fabric of the club.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The same supply chains who supply us for domestic imported products, supply NZ.

The TV people and the two tourism entities, would have funding.

The cruise ships can deliver passengers.

Same with Tassie and the Spirit of AFL, I mean Tasmania

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Our results in Wellington were appalling and some of the efforts were plain embarrassing. The club and team failed to prepare adequately for any of those matches.

And the single Shanghai game we played against Port was an absolute debacle. Oh, yeah, eating from street vendors in an unfamiliar country when you are an athlete and in the country for less than two days the day before an official match against an opponent was such a good idea. Who knew?!?

NO, and no.

Let's wait and see if we turn up for Gather 'Round and our game in Launceston next season first.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 4:23pm Was it not possible to get the points in those games

Maybe, just maybe we should change our mentality not our situations

We look for excuses not answers

All of those games were winnable- other teams were able to win them!
I certainly agree - but we are one of several sides, Richmond and Melbourne are two others, who fail to turn up when we are given these types of fixtures. I mean that Carlton game in Wellington and the Port match in Shanghai were deplorable 'efforts'. If the reports of what the team were eating in Shanghai are even remotely accurate, it really does reflect extremely poorly on the entire club at the time.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Have we not ‘failed to turn up’ at Marvel before?

Because I can remember leaving there pretty disgusted a number of times!

It not the losing that really bothers me, it the blaming of the venue for the loss that is ridiculous

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Any team, anywhere.

SaintWiki
Club Player

Well, we all hate any loss, but the beginning of next season will certainly give us (and the coaching staff) a chance to see any possible weaknesses early in the season, and whether we like it or not, there is a better chance of getting a game at the G earlier in the year with the smaller crowd we bring.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

But not in

China, NZ, TAS, or any interstate venue

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

I am hoping out 'BlockBuster' is in the last week of September.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 21 Dec 2023 5:04pm But not in

In fairness we have won in Qld (Brisbane,Gold Coast and Townsville) consistently, in NSW/ACT recently (Canberra, Sydney and Macquarie Fields) and WA (Perth) regularly since 2020, so it isn't interstate that's the issue, it is those home games we sell for money in weird ass venues that we fail to turn up and prepare professionally for (the most recent example is the Cairns debacle).

I would like us to begin next season by beating the Cats in Geelong and Richmond in Adelaide, then account for the Hawks in Launceston. Win those three and we set ourselves up for a successful season.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 23 Dec 2023 1:36pm
B.M wrote: Thu 21 Dec 2023 5:04pm But not in

In fairness we have won in Qld (Brisbane,Gold Coast and Townsville) consistently, in NSW/ACT recently (Canberra, Sydney and Macquarie Fields) and WA (Perth) regularly since 2020, so it isn't interstate that's the issue, it is those home games we sell for money in weird ass venues that we fail to turn up and prepare professionally for (the most recent example is the Cairns debacle).

I would like us to begin next season by beating the Cats in Geelong and Richmond in Adelaide, then account for the Hawks in Launceston. Win those three and we set ourselves up for a successful season.
All three are on their knees, we just raised one and braced on it, so I love your analogy.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

(the most recent example is the Cairns debacle).
Put almost $1 million in our bank, that's a fair leg up for the footy department that it otherwise doesn't have access to this season, and for what? to appease a small section of the supporter base.

Was used as a Sweatner by Bassett for damage control when he sacked Ratts and bought in Ross but I think he'll regret that decision sooner than later and agree to the AFL in sending us back to playing a regional game somewhere in Australia. Especially in light of our stubbornly high debt that we can't seem to reduce.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 23 Dec 2023 4:23pm

Put almost $1 million in our bank, that's a fair leg up for the footy department that it otherwise doesn't have access to this season, and for what? to appease a small section of the supporter base.

Was used as a Sweatner by Bassett for damage control when he sacked Ratts and bought in Ross but I think he'll regret that decision sooner than later and agree to the AFL in sending us back to playing a regional game somewhere in Australia. Especially in light of our stubbornly high debt that we can't seem to reduce.
Cost us top 8 position too. The slump was horrendous.

We fixed both those issues last year.

Howd Port go?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Rather sell home games against Collingwood (or even Hawthorn, Melbourne or Richmond) to be played at the G to be honest.

If it means that much to the club then the players should be told - win, or else. And not eat food from street vendors which will make you have gastro the day before a big game. Bush league!

I want us to win a Flag not to play matches with half the players sick or withdrawn with Bali belly.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Every opposition is a blockbuster for me, I hate them all

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 23 Dec 2023 5:57pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 23 Dec 2023 4:23pm

Cost us top 8 position too. The slump was horrendous.

We fixed both those issues last year.

Howd Port go?
Having money to invest in the footy department not so much.