Apart from the Saints, every Victorian team has a blockbuster......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

NickyDal
Club Player

Apart from the Saints, every Victorian team has a blockbuster......

.....What are we doing to rectify this? The AFL are A-Holes but we have also shot ourselves in the foot multiple times on this front. We have stuffed every venture we have tried. NZ is still available but I don't believe Western Springs has been rebuilt yet. We should still try and get that over the line and play there on ANZAC day.

I know I will be howled down by some but I firmly believe in this venture. Firstly we would get national and international exposure, more money and a whole lot of new supporters.

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Apart from the Saints, every Victorian team has a blockbuster......

Next year, you won't mention NZ again for a while.

But until then. Why not!

AuckSaint
Club Player

Still a long way from sorting out an "oval" facility in Auckland. The new government now has canned the Western Springs option due to flood issues and a blowout in the redevelopment costs. Now preferred option for test cricket in Colin Maiden Park. Looking to develop like Hagley oval in Christchurch (and most other NZ test venues) with a 5,000-7,000 capacity. Don't think 7,000 capacity is going to cut it for an AFL match.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/sports/other/ ... r-AA1lpCMN

1 of the 10,000 NZ Saints members
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Get Baz Lehrman or Steven Spielberg to design our pregame shenanigans not the well intentioned but diabolical Snooze McDeflating.

Arrangements for Danny Frawley and Maddie's matches lack vitality, focus and commitment to player performance as well as fan participation.

And you don't need a "blockbuster " just play well, contest and win more than you lose, the rest follows.

Does anyone besides Collingwood supporters and AFL hacks ooh and aah over the Sheedy thought bubble Anzac Day match . It's just a match that is now an anachronism. The soldiers that served deserve more. Those 2 clubs don't represent society. And war is appalling, not a blockbuster thing for goodness sake.

How many themed rounds does it take to kill the "special " vibe. Seems a constant drip of byes, splits, gatherings, indigenous, pride, respect, special causes. Desensitised City.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 17 Dec 2023 11:09pm Next year, you won't mention NZ again for a while.

Hopefully.

NickyDal
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 17 Dec 2023 11:09pm Next year, you won't mention NZ again for a while.

But until then. Why not!
Yes I will. It is another unfair advantage that other teams have. Their crowds and revenue don't depend as much on being a top side. Look at Collinfilth and the Druggies. No matter where they are on the ladder the ANZAC day game is always sold out because of the occasion which equals dollars for them. Us on the other hand have to be a top side to make money and when we are a bottom team we lose money. I don't understand why people cannot see this. We need a couple of matches that are guaranteed to bring in large crowds or at the very least prevent a dollars loss. Alternating between WC, Freo, Port, Crows, GWS and GC (not South Melbourne and Fitzroy), on ANZAC day in Auckland will turn a loss into profit...
Last edited by NickyDal on Mon 18 Dec 2023 11:13am, edited 1 time in total.

NeXus Nick
amusingname
Club Player

NickyDal wrote: Sun 17 Dec 2023 10:01pm .....What are we doing to rectify this? The AFL are A-Holes but we have also shot ourselves in the foot multiple times on this front. We have stuffed every venture we have tried. NZ is still available but I don't believe Western Springs has been rebuilt yet. We should still try and get that over the line and play there on ANZAC day.

I know I will be howled down by some but I firmly believe in this venture. Firstly we would get national and international exposure, more money and a whole lot of new supporters.
What is the bulldog's blockbuster game?

NickyDal
Club Player

amusingname wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 11:12am
NickyDal wrote: Sun 17 Dec 2023 10:01pm .....What are we doing to rectify this? The AFL are A-Holes but we have also shot ourselves in the foot multiple times on this front. We have stuffed every venture we have tried. NZ is still available but I don't believe Western Springs has been rebuilt yet. We should still try and get that over the line and play there on ANZAC day.

Easter

NeXus Nick
NickyDal
Club Player

Plus they play 3 games in Ballarat against non victorian teams so they make a profit instead of losing money

NeXus Nick
amusingname
Club Player

NickyDal wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 11:14am

Easter
They are playing West Coast at marvel on easter sunday this year, not what i would call a blockbuster matchup

NickyDal
Club Player

amusingname wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 11:18am

Easter
They are playing West Coast at marvel on easter sunday this year, not what i would call a blockbuster matchup
Well the 3 games at Ballarat will make up for it

NeXus Nick
amusingname
Club Player

NickyDal wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 11:39am

Easter
They are playing 2 games in ballarat next year, as they did this year. The deal makes them around $400k a year from the ballarat council, hardly turning them into a powerhouse.

I think our best chance of a blockbuster was to lock in an annual fixture with Geelong during the 08-10 peak of our rivalry, something like Anzac eve before Melbourne and Richmond got that in 2015. Need to get proactive when we rise up the ladder again to set things in place with the AFL

NickyDal
Club Player

amusingname wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 12:31pm

Easter
They are playing 2 games in ballarat next year, as they did this year. The deal makes them around $400k a year from the ballarat council, hardly turning them into a powerhouse.

I think our best chance of a blockbuster was to lock in an annual fixture with Geelong during the 08-10 peak of our rivalry, something like Anzac eve before Melbourne and Richmond got that in 2015. Need to get proactive when we rise up the ladder again to set things in place with the AFL
By all means lets get proactive but surely we need to get NZ up and going

NeXus Nick
Sanctorum
Club Player

New Zealand, Shanghai, Timbuktu - none have been in the past nor ever in future be happy hunting grounds for St Kilda.

Emphasis must always be on getting the 4 points - sustained success brings crowds to the games and viewers to watch on Foxtel, plus headlines in the media.

That will also force the AFL to have St Kilda play more games at the MCG.

Success will make St Kilda a destination club for elite free agents to come to Moorabbin and strengthen the team's chances for premierships - so called blockbuster fixtures are just 24 hour wonders....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Was it not possible to get the points in those games

Maybe, just maybe we should change our mentality not our situations

We look for excuses not answers

All of those games were winnable- other teams were able to win them!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 12:50pm
amusingname wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 12:31pm

Easter

By all means lets get proactive but surely we need to get NZ up and going
No we don't.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 4:23pm Was it not possible to get the points in those games

Maybe, just maybe we should change our mentality not our situations

We look for excuses not answers

All of those games were winnable- other teams were able to win them!
hail, head and hammer.

It's what makes St Kilda...well, St Kilda.

Saints58
Club Player

NickyDal wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 11:15am

Plus they play 3 games in Ballarat against non Victorian teams so they make a profit instead of losing money

We were the first to play in South Africa, Tasmania, NZ and one of the first in China we need to find a place to play that will bring in dollars and support.
What about places like Mildura a population of over 100 thousand in the area and a big AFL community. Or Albury Wodonga would attract a lot of locals keen on AFL from NSW could be a big winner. Play 2 games a year and see if it works.
Or a game at Moorabbin it would get a better crowd then NZ and with portable stands this would allow us to get about 10-15k with standing room.
We need to do something to bring in a profit.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We would lose one game there, blame the venue

And supporters would be screaming blue murder that we shouldn’t be selling games we can’t possibly win… because I S not at Marvel!!!

Maybe if we ever play another GF we should ask if it can be played at Marvel - because god forbid we can win at other venues!!!

Maybe that’s why we lost 71, 97, 09, 10

The bloody venue!!!

NickyDal
Club Player

Saints58 wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 5:45pm
NickyDal wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 11:15am

Plus they play 3 games in Ballarat against non Victorian teams so they make a profit instead of losing money

We were the first to play in South Africa, Tasmania, NZ and one of the first in China we need to find a place to play that will bring in dollars and support.
What about places like Mildura a population of over 100 thousand in the area and a big AFL community. Or Albury Wodonga would attract a lot of locals keen on AFL from NSW could be a big winner. Play 2 games a year and see if it works.
Or a game at Moorabbin it would get a better crowd then NZ and with portable stands this would allow us to get about 10-15k with standing room.
We need to do something to bring in a profit.
The capacity of Moorabbin is 10,000. We averaged 16,000 in NZ and the first game got over 22,000.

NeXus Nick
NickyDal
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 4:19pm New Zealand, Shanghai, Timbuktu - none have been in the past nor ever in future be happy hunting grounds for St Kilda.

Emphasis must always be on getting the 4 points - sustained success brings crowds to the games and viewers to watch on Foxtel, plus headlines in the media.

That will also force the AFL to have St Kilda play more games at the MCG.

Success will make St Kilda a destination club for elite free agents to come to Moorabbin and strengthen the team's chances for premierships - so called blockbuster fixtures are just 24 hour wonders....
I hate this attitude. Look at what Hawthorn did with Tasmania. We can do the same with NZ and make it a fortress. Unfortunately when we played games in NZ we were a bottom side so we lost everywhere not just NZ.

NeXus Nick
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Let's play Hawthorn at Seaford.

We will pack the joint out!!!!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Can’t play at Seaford

Heck, we couldn’t even train there!!!!

Cough, Casey… cough, Waverley/Dingley… cough Tullamarine

Spiritual homes
Hawthorn - Glenferrie- no longer there
Essendon - Windy Hill - no longer there
Melbourne- MCG - no longer there

Playing home games away
Melbourne, Port, Hawthorn, Bulldogs
They seem to be able to win???

All we do is blame extraneous reasons for failure rather than the fact!!!!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 8:46pm Can’t play at Seaford

Heck, we couldn’t even train there!!!!

Cough, Casey… cough, Waverley/Dingley… cough Tullamarine

Spiritual homes
Hawthorn - Glenferrie- no longer there
Essendon - Windy Hill - no longer there
Melbourne- MCG - no longer there

Playing home games away
Melbourne, Port, Hawthorn, Bulldogs
They seem to be able to win???

All we do is blame extraneous reasons for failure rather than the fact!!!!
One of the most disastrous games in club history was Saints v Power in Tassie on 04.
We lost a game that we could never really get in to… I don’t really remember it other than Matty Ferguson debuted and missed a sitter early.

GT was furious at the loss.

Season’s end, the 8 point turnaround was the difference between a home final for us instead of a home final for Portl

That was the beginning of the end for our time in Tassie.

In addition to being a huge financial set back during a period where the stadium deal was a real problem for us… I always wondered about the more subtle implications of walking out on Tassie. Had we experienced and mastered the conditions at Tassie, perhaps the result of a wet, windy day in September 09 might have gone differently.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Easter
Easter is an absolutely sh1tful time for a 'blockbuster' - even one against the mighty drawing power of West Coast. It's generally the last family holiday period of the year and if the weather is warm - people leave Melbourne in droves.

Go you red, black & white warriors