Break out smokeys

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Break out smokeys

Could any of the below players break into the side in 2024 and play 10+ games?

James Van Es
Doesn't get spoken about much but will now be completing his 2nd preseason. 196cm 100kg defender who tested well from an athletic perspective.

Suspect he'd only play bulk games in the event of injuries to our tall defenders.

Ollie Hotton
Gets a lot of love on here. Draft profile reads as though his clean pick ups could see him play a role as a half forward/midfielder. Hopefully he gets through the full preseason uninterrupted to ensure he has the fitness base to make the most of that trait.

Isaac Keeler/Max Heath
Could either be the player to support Roma by playing majority forward and chopping him out?

Not considered smokeys: Dow, Henry and Wilson as all have been spoken about as players likely to play in 24.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Break out smokeys

No way 10+ for the youngsters however I think we’ll see these guys make their debut throughout 2024.

I think Dow will have his best year to date and feature strongly in the Trevor Barker.

I’m not confident but will stick my neck out and say that Liam O’Connell will also make his debut in 2024.

Saintmike65
Club Player

At his press conference, the boss indicated Wilson, Collard & Shoenmaker will play senior footy this coming season…no mention of the second year players!

Saintmike65
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 15 Dec 2023 1:26am No way 10+ for the youngsters however I think we’ll see these guys make their debut throughout 2024.

I think Dow will have his best year to date and feature strongly in the Trevor Barker.

I’m not confident but will stick my neck out and say that Liam O’Connell will also make his debut in 2024.

So glad someone has mentioned young O’Connell, really like the look of him and if he’s a fast learner could really come into prominence, particularly with Hastie needing a lot of physical development.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Fri 15 Dec 2023 5:42am At his press conference, the boss indicated Wilson, Collard & Shoenmaker will play senior footy this coming season…no mention of the second year players!
If the smokeys can go one on one with the grown ups in serious match simulation and consistently get clearances bring it on. I'm doubtful the boys are up to it this coming year. Maybe 25/26 when they are stronger and experienced and can deal with being sat on their bottoms a few times.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 15 Dec 2023 9:36am
Saintmike65 wrote: Fri 15 Dec 2023 5:42am At his press conference, the boss indicated Wilson, Collard & Shoenmaker will play senior footy this coming season…no mention of the second year players!
If the smokeys can go one on one with the grown ups in serious match simulation and consistently get clearances bring it on. I'm doubtful the boys are up to it this coming year. Maybe 25/26 when they are stronger and experienced and can deal with being sat on their bottoms a few times.
He sort of said he did the same thing last year. If they step up with skills and pace, they get to hone there craft at the top level, that's how attributes get developed to successful levels.

Your salary cap can't get sustained at the other end for loner than 3 years.

Big Max
Club Player

I'm hoping it's Keeler, because we desperately need a backup ruck/forward.

NickyDal
Club Player

nostalgicsaint wrote: Thu 14 Dec 2023 10:22pm Could any of the below players break into the side in 2024 and play 10+ games?

James Van Es
Doesn't get spoken about much but will now be completing his 2nd preseason. 196cm 100kg defender who tested well from an athletic perspective.

Suspect he'd only play bulk games in the event of injuries to our tall defenders.

Ollie Hotton
Gets a lot of love on here. Draft profile reads as though his clean pick ups could see him play a role as a half forward/midfielder. Hopefully he gets through the full preseason uninterrupted to ensure he has the fitness base to make the most of that trait.

Isaac Keeler/Max Heath
Could either be the player to support Roma by playing majority forward and chopping him out?

Not considered smokeys: Dow, Henry and Wilson as all have been spoken about as players likely to play in 24.
Out of the smokeys I suspect and hope that Keeler gets a run as our forward/ruck. He has all the tools to be a star so we have to give him a good crack. If Hayes, Heath or Campbell play before him I will really be pissed off with RTB.

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Psychological warfare.

Pump up the young players. Keep everyone else on edge.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I think if they play 10 games between them it will be a bonus!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If they play - we have injuries

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 15 Dec 2023 3:46pm If they play - we have injuries
We just got rid of the blokes with injuries.

Have a little faith.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Fri 15 Dec 2023 2:05pm If Hayes, Heath or Campbell play before him I will really be pissed off with RTB.
A tad harsh on Hayes and Heath. Hayes, seems popular and will continue a remarkable story if he makes a welcome comeback from injuries.
Heath's debut, in my opinion, will be just as welcome, deserved and exciting as Keeler's will be.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Barring injuries, the only space that has opened up is Grehsam's small forward role.
Gresh averaged a goal a game, and Butler's form fluctuates quite a bit throughout a season, so I reckon if Hotton stays fit and can snag a goal a game at Sandy, he will be a chance to get selected at some stage.
I guess the same opportunity opens up for Collard, and possibly even Hugo.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Fri 15 Dec 2023 4:40pm Barring injuries, the only space that has opened up is Grehsam's small forward role.
Gresh averaged a goal a game, and Butler's form fluctuates quite a bit throughout a season, so I reckon if Hotton stays fit and can snag a goal a game at Sandy, he will be a chance to get selected at some stage.
I guess the same opportunity opens up for Collard, and possibly even Hugo.
Can I suggest all spots should be open if we are to genuinely improve on a winless finals series. I understand what you are saying regarding Gresham's spot but the incumbents also need to improve or else others deserve the opportunity to take us further Hopefully they are / become good enough to remove the incumbents.

Killa
Club Player

Where we have a gap in my opinion is the small defender on the mercurial small forwards across the competition

Can Paton lock that down - also putting pressure on on the rebound?

If not, who else?

Webster is honest with deficiencies, also over 30 years of age so wrong profile for mine

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Fri 15 Dec 2023 4:40pm Barring injuries, the only space that has opened up is Grehsam's small forward role.
We finished 6th, and lost our first final. That team isn't going to improve in 2024 without some serious change of cavalry.

The "possession is 9/10 of the law" matters in season, but pre-season it's all open.

Expect some players who played every game this year to miss round 1.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Fri 15 Dec 2023 5:17pm
We finished 6th, and lost our first final. That team isn't going to improve in 2024 without some serious change of cavalry.

The "possession is 9/10 of the law" matters in season, but pre-season it's all open.

I totally agree with you...but will the selection committee see it that way? Will they have the courage to take that risk? Ross Lyon likes to be conservative and is usually loyal to his regulars, especially the senior players.

Membrey will be first choice as will Higgins and Butler, unless they have a total form slump.

Unless we have a terrible start to the season, I think the changes will be gradual and he'll give guys like Seb Ross and Brad Crouch preference over the youngsters.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Fri 15 Dec 2023 4:59pm Where we have a gap in my opinion is the small defender on the mercurial small forwards across the competition

Can Paton lock that down - also putting pressure on on the rebound?

If not, who else?

Webster is honest with deficiencies, also over 30 years of age so wrong profile for mine
There a kid from the NGA, Angus McLennan playing at Sandy last year, who touted as solid defending both ways. Strong focus, not sure what the execution of skills is like.

SaintWiki
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Fri 15 Dec 2023 2:12pm
Psychological warfare.

Pump up the young players. Keep everyone else on edge.
Yeah that, plus just the one's that he comes up with on the trot, after all it's a long way off selection time.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Very underrated Webster

Rarely beaten

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 15 Dec 2023 9:27pm Very underrated Webster

Rarely beaten
Tough as old army boots as well.
Cops plenty and just gets on with it.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Rarely beaten
Totally agree on Jimmy...but

I've been vehemently defending him whenever people criticise his selection in the team, but the concern is the fact that he's nearing the end. How long can he keep up with the likes of Brent Daniels and Toby Bedford types?

In the EF game against GWS we didn't have a winner in that backline. Even Batts probably broke even with his opponent for the whole day.

Admittedly, most backlines would have struggled with the supply that was coming in. It wasn't just the quantity (inside 50's were roughly even) but the quality. GWS had 15 marks inside 50. We only had 9

GWS got first hands on the ball out of the centre. Crouch had a stinker. Roma's opponent was influential. Briggs was significant at centre stoppages and he dominated hitouts for the day.

Some of our mids like Steele, and halfbacks including Nas and Sincs were prolific but so were theirs. Their midfield group were better.

We need Dow, Windy, Owens, and Pou to step up as mids if we expect to advance on 2023.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 16 Dec 2023 12:32am

Rarely beaten
Totally agree on Jimmy...but

I've been vehemently defending him whenever people criticise his selection in the team, but the concern is the fact that he's nearing the end. How long can he keep up with the likes of Brent Daniels and Toby Bedford types?

In the EF game against GWS we didn't have a winner in that backline. Even Batts probably broke even with his opponent for the whole day.

Admittedly, most backlines would have struggled with the supply that was coming in. It wasn't just the quantity (inside 50's were roughly even) but the quality. GWS had 15 marks inside 50. We only had 9

GWS got first hands on the ball out of the centre. Crouch had a stinker. Roma's opponent was influential. Briggs was significant at centre stoppages and he dominated hitouts for the day.

Some of our mids like Steele, and halfbacks including Nas and Sincs were prolific but so were theirs. Their midfield group were better.

We need Dow, Windy, Owens, and Pou to step up as mids if we expect to advance on 2023.
Thought J. Battle and N. Wanganeen-Milera were pretty good in that final?

Big Max
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Fri 15 Dec 2023 5:17pm

We finished 6th, and we've lost Gresham, but picked up Dow & Henry, we should see continued development from our 2nd and 3rd year players. Hopefully we enter the season with a full, fit and healthy squad.

In my mind, we should be better next season. If that means we win a couple of extra games, then top 4 is not unrealistic.