RTB presser.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

RTB presser.

saints.com.au

Worth listening to.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Re: RTB presser.

I loved it.

Really backed the selections in the draft.

Backed the trade pickups in Dow, Henry and Bonner.

Hinted Wilson will play most games like Phillipou.

Phillipou, Caminiti, Owens, Windhager and Naz are the nucleus that we are building around.

Backed Phillipou hard at the end and said we will reach a good deal. Everyone knows they talk contracts after halfway through next year because the kid will be playing for a massive deal.

Exciting times.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 7:09pm

Everyone knows they talk contracts after halfway through next year because the kid will be playing for a massive deal.

Will still only receive a 2 year deal and told his massive deal will come at the end of the 2 years if he's earnt it.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 8:45pm

Everyone knows they talk contracts after halfway through next year because the kid will be playing for a massive deal.

Will still only receive a 2 year deal and told his massive deal will come at the end of the 2 years if he's earnt it.
This is news to me.

I thought Vortex you try and do a Nick Daicos and take them out on a big deal so they don’t get free agency. Especially as a SA boy you don’t run the risk. Kids a future bontempelli and probably a captain.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Does any of the contract stuff have anything to do with why he was picked week in and week out (Pou) even when others may have impacted more?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 9:36pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 8:45pm

This is news to me.

I thought Vortex you try and do a Nick Daicos and take them out on a big deal so they don’t get free agency. Especially as a SA boy you don’t run the risk. Kids a future bontempelli and probably a captain.
There has been advocacy from within the industry for some time now to avoid overpaying young kids too much especially out of fear of losing them to rival clubs. Nic Daicos is an aberration.

He's a long long way from becoming Bontempelli and Daicos but maybe in the highly unlikely event he proves he is as good as those two players within his next 23 matches then he might secure a massive deal under tbe Daicos clause.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/slo ... 5ecw8.html

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl ... 5d49m.html

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 10:00pm Does any of the contract stuff have anything to do with why he was picked week in and week out (Pou) even when others may have impacted more?
Yes.

All the coaches are very familiar with the traits of champions.

This one is 190 and can do everything. He isn't 19 yet.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Baldock
Stewart
Riewoldt
Winmar
Hayes

All in our top ten greatest and all from other states.

RTB would do well to remind our interstae lads of that.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 11:12pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 10:00pm Does any of the contract stuff have anything to do with why he was picked week in and week out (Pou) even when others may have impacted more?
Yes.

All the coaches are very familiar with the traits of champions.

This one is 190 and can do everything. He isn't 19 yet.
I wonder how many points/games it costs a team each year, when their selection choices are compromised because they have to 'game the game' as it were;

1) Helping or hindering players from reaching performance targets which trigger contract obligations (even when -especially when - player carrying injury
2) Players needing to be selected partly to ward off potential predator/poaching clubs and agents
3) Player A picked or not picked, because player B was or wasn't picked, when player B's contract was on the line or under review

All of this is a tax on outright competitiveness

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I'm convinced Gresham got games to inflate his FA value this year.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I don't think so, I believe a far greater factor in Phillipou's destiny to remain with St Kilda medium/long term is how the team performs overall in the competition in 2024 and beyond.

Every player dedicated to a long career as an AFl footballer rates winning a premiership above everything else, so if St Kilda falls by the wayside blokes like 'the Pou' will be seeking to move to a more successful club.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

If you consider hard work the standard, as Ross does, then that begins on the track.

Go and ask any of the coaches about Phillipou's training standards

Ask about Owens and Windhager getting special treatment in an NGA.

Ask about Nasiah being taken so high in the draft.

Coaches probably think teams will tag Wilson out of the game. You gotta keep u first, ask Harvey. He was gifted games too.

These boys are privileged to be their and the privilege is ours.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

No good having your expectations dashed and sending of Cripps for a packet of chips.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Its a circular argument.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Then trade time comes and we pay to have Billings taken away in an Ambulance.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 14 Dec 2023 2:16pm If you consider hard work the standard, as Ross does, then that begins on the track.

Coaches probably think teams will tag Wilson out of the game. You gotta keep u first, ask Harvey. He was gifted games too.

A long way to go before we know how many of the kids recruited in the past few years are capable of being part of a team that can make it to the final 2 weeks of the finals series on a sustainable basis.

What we have now is hype around some kids we THINK have the potential, which club doesn't most years, first thing that has to happen is getting the prescribed amount of games into this core of kids, some of which haven't even debuted yet, which is around 50 to 75 games, then from there we need to see how they go in a finals game or three.

Clearly we failed in the first test against GWS final which looked like boys against men and GWS had their foot on the back of our neck by quarter time.

It's exciting we have "prospects" with potential for their current age and games of experience, but a long way to go to find out if we have the required critical mass of GF types capable going deep into September.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Vortex wrote: Thu 14 Dec 2023 3:30pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 14 Dec 2023 2:16pm If you consider hard work the standard, as Ross does, then that begins on the track.

A long way to go before we know how many of the kids recruited in the past few years are capable of being part of a team that can make it to the final 2 weeks of the finals series on a sustainable basis.

What we have now is hype around some kids we THINK have the potential, which club doesn't most years, first thing that has to happen is getting the prescribed amount of games into this core of kids, some of which haven't even debuted yet, which is around 50 to 75 games, then from there we need to see how they go in a finals game or three.

Clearly we failed in the first test against GWS final which looked like boys against men and GWS had their foot on the back of our neck by quarter time.

It's exciting we have "prospects" with potential for their current age and games of experience, but a long way to go to find out if we have the required critical mass of GF types capable going deep into September.
Gee you spout some drivel at times. If you cannot see the class, ability and drive to succeed in our best kids then I don't know why you watch the game. King, Owens, Windhager, Wanganeen-Milera and Philipou are the nucleus of a VERY good team. Those young men are the ones driving standards at training, doing the extras and elevating our future. Attitude is what separates those that get a shot at a flag from the also rans.

Did we look like boys against men with GWS? Yes we did, because the nucleus of our next flag challenge basically ARE still boys....... but in 12 months from now there is a strong chance they will be amongst our best players. Within 2 seasons they WILL be our best players.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Dis Believer wrote: Thu 14 Dec 2023 3:46pm
Did we look like boys against men with GWS? Yes we did,

...basically ARE still boys......

It would appear we agree on the same drivel, however I'm waiting for the boys to produce some results before I announce the boys as being capable of being a sustainable top 4 side. There is a long long way to go with so many things to go right and where so many things can go wrong. This is St Kilda after all.

As lways though I'll enjoy the ride.

NickyDal
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 14 Dec 2023 4:12pm

It would appear we agree on the same drivel, however I'm waiting for the boys to produce some results before I announce the boys as being capable of being a sustainable top 4 side. There is a long long way to go with so many things to go right and where so many things can go wrong. This is St Kilda after all.

Agreed. Some of the talk about our youth on this forum is hilarious. Such and such will be the new Bont and future captain. Seriously over the top. Lets get these promising kids to at least 50 games before we go anointing them as future champions and the Saints winning the flag FFS

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I get your position on this.

If you could alter it slightly lets explore the six individuals, instead of a mathematical formula.

The exponential benefits of picking all the players we have since Clark is not a coincidence. I'm expecting your math is out.

We will hit the top 4 in 3 years.

There was a 6 man core before that but the best ones were ring ins.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

There will be no time wasted pleasing the coach.
The expectations will be clear.
The rules will be final.
The players will have the ability to execute the plan.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 14 Dec 2023 6:59pm

I get your position on this.

If you could alter it slightly lets explore the six individuals, instead of a mathematical formula.

The exponential benefits of picking all the players we have since Clark is not a coincidence. I'm expecting your math is out.

We will hit the top 4 in 3 years.

There was a 6 man core before that but the best ones were ring ins.
I get so excited when you talk dirty.

3 years is about my mathematical guess too for when we can expect this current list-build to start delivering on top four finishes.

I think.we will dip a little in 2024 then possibly return to finals in 2025 and by then the pressure will be on for fans to frank their expectation chips.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

When we speak we are irrational fans - there is no point in being reasonable..

Like ..duh…which teams will fall around us?

We have momentum now like we are turbo charged Iggy Pop singing ‘Search and Destroy!’

“Look out honey ‘cos I’m using technology”
“‘Ain’t got time to make no apology”

The great Shane Grambeau agrees,

“Sweet dreams are made of these”
“Who am I to disagree”

The Vort is doing the Dr. Smith villain role ..
All good and all in love

But there is that point,

We were in a stall aerodynamic stall after a ridiculously high angle of attack in April.

We were pretty bad from May to July

A bottom four team and it was other fixtures that kept us afloat

And the n in that final, yes, it looked like a good team against young battlers.

I have a feeling if Tim Membrey played , we would have lost just as badly if not worse - ly

But I’m on the bandwagon

And loving it

And feeling it

Like a fan

I’m so impressed I wanna but a third guernsey - the indigenous one from 2023.

It’s exciting

Im totally riding the high at the moment

Heaven knows it won’t last

If Max King even makes it on the park in March I’d be surprised

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ross on Mattaes: "we are the last bastion of great cups. there's cups and then there's cups. there's no greater cup to be won than here. Mattaes has said he wanted to get out of Adelaide. He doesn't want to be in Adelaide and wants to win a great cup"

Ross Lyon

Love it! You get the feeling (as some insiders alluded to when he was approached by the club) he’s desperate for a flag cause he knows winning at St Kilda puts him into footy mortality (I think he genuinely also loves the joint).
Thank god we are no longer on the previous “beige” path
Exciting times.
Back youth.

“Yeah….nah””
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

NickyDal wrote: Thu 14 Dec 2023 4:48pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 14 Dec 2023 4:12pm

Agreed. Some of the talk about our youth on this forum is hilarious. Such and such will be the new Bont and future captain. Seriously over the top. Lets get these promising kids to at least 50 games before we go anointing them as future champions and the Saints winning the flag FFS
You do realise that barring injury issues Pou, Windy, Owens, NWM, King, Henry, Dow, should all be past 50 games by the end of this next season. Actually Pou will probably be a couple of games short, but he also won't even be 20 years old at that point......

The future is coming quicker than you realise.....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!