Training Fri 8/12

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Training Fri 8/12

Mitchito Owens running laps in speed dealers.

Backline transition work today with Wilkie and McLennan doing kick outs and setting up plays. McLennan really showing it up.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Training Fri 8/12

My take outs: -

- Rehab group of Wood, Crouch, King, Steele, Higgins, Butler, Hotton et al mainly did short, sharp alternate handball drills with Damien Carroll for half an hour. A few of them then ran laps or pool. Higgins on a bike.
- Darcy is going to be immense once his core gets stronger and he's not moved off the footy;
- Michito & Pou have clearly spent 6 weeks on arms and shoulders - freakin' hell
- Jones moved and kicked as well as I've ever seen him;
- Hastie was the draftee I was most impressed with - just looked like he had that extra half a second to make a decision;
- It looks like NWM7 has got taller - quite possibly an optical illusion given his calf size .. Sincs could lend him some
- Dow's speed from a standing start and quick hands will make a difference
- Just like when Tiger hits a golf ball; the footy just makes a different sound when Arie kicks it - it's a thing of brutal beauty. He's already got the frame but seriously needs a tank.
- The most ready-to-go of the new additions is Bonner. Shouldn't be surprised though - he did have 32 touches and 814 metres gained in a prelim 2 years ago.
- RtB waddled out on the ground after 45 mins ... any more relaxed and he'd be in a coma.

- Of the fully fit group - three groups going simultaneously - the inside to outside by hand then hit-up a lead drill was excellent to watch. We're a MUCH better kicking team already inside 12 months.
- Hunter still has spaghetti arms but looks more athletic
- Hill has always been the elite runner who gets back and forward as an outlet - Henry was doing much the same in emulating that overlap.
- Agree with Zacsby - the backline transition stuff over 3/4 of the South Road end of the ground was great. I can't see McLennan getting a game anytime soon but, he was very good at executing his part of the drill
- Loved how the coaches pull up a drill if they c**k it up and explain what went wrong and they go again. Standards, standards, standards ...

Go you red, black & white warriors
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Fri 08 Dec 2023 11:54am Mitchito Owens running laps in speed dealers.

Backline transition work today with Wilkie and McLennan doing kick outs and setting up plays. McLennan really showing it up.
I must be old, I had to google the above references to understand your post.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Unsettling that Owens isn't seamlessly part of the main group ?

Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

Training Friday 8/12

Rehab group: Crouch, Steele, King, Hotton, Owens Van Ess, Wood, O’Connell

Drills focused on ball movement, both offensive (ie, moving the ball from halfway line of the ground into the forward line) as well as out of defence. Lots of quick, short, sharp kicks, with most kicks hitting a leading forward target.

Really impressed with Pou & Windy. Very keen and diligent trainers and seemed like they were the first back and ready to go after each drink break.

Zac Jones trained really well, and his pace is a real feature. I know he has his knocks, but his pace is a real point of difference for us. He looks fit again after a year interrupted by injury.

Liam Henry looked really sharp. Great defensive efforts during the drills and intercepted many forward thrusts. He’s been really impressive all week. Looks to have fit in really well with the group.

Howard also moving really well and looks to be back in full fitness. I know he has a lot of critics, but structurally he is really important.

Hunter Clarke trained really well and is so clean below his knees. His kicking skills are sublime and even in today’s windy conditions, his kicks hit the target more often than not.

NAS looks like he’s filled out a bit more. Not massive by any stretch but looks more mature. He is deceptively tall. With him, Sincs & Boner we have some elite kickers off the half back line. It will be interesting to see what this means for Jimmy as I think he’ll be competing for a spot with Stocker & Bonner.

I overheard a supporter ask Jimmy Van Ess how his injury was going to which he replied, going well, should be back in full training post-Christmas.

Allison has also trained really well this week. He’s an amazing athlete who will be a hard match up as for his size, he’s an elite runner and there wouldn’t be too many his size that could keep up with him. Probably only his kicking lets him down at times.

Those not training included Collard, Garcia, Butler, Hayes, Higgins & Caminiti, although Caminiti came out at the very end (in the red rehab group shirt) and ran a couple of laps. He had a brace on his finger so I assume he’s had some sort of finger surgery, but really struggled with his running (perhaps a fitness issue??).

Owens once again ran laps – doesn't appear to be injured and like others have stated, perhaps he is being managed?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 08 Dec 2023 1:18pm Unsettling that Owens isn't seamlessly part of the main group ?
A fair amount of reports suggesting he went too hard while away from the club and needs to dial it back a little.

Not much of an excuse to be missed from the skills drills.

outside66
Club Player

Thanks for the reports guys

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Kick-it-lace-out wrote: Fri 08 Dec 2023 1:36pm Training Friday 8/12

Drills focused on ball movement, both offensive (ie, moving the ball from halfway line of the ground into the forward line) as well as out of defence. Lots of quick, short, sharp kicks, with most kicks hitting a leading forward target.

Really impressed with Pou & Windy. Very keen and diligent trainers and seemed like they were the first back and ready to go after each drink break.

Zac Jones trained really well, and his pace is a real feature. I know he has his knocks, but his pace is a real point of difference for us. He looks fit again after a year interrupted by injury.

Liam Henry looked really sharp. Great defensive efforts during the drills and intercepted many forward thrusts. He’s been really impressive all week. Looks to have fit in really well with the group.

Howard also moving really well and looks to be back in full fitness. I know he has a lot of critics, but structurally he is really important.

Hunter Clarke trained really well and is so clean below his knees. His kicking skills are sublime and even in today’s windy conditions, his kicks hit the target more often than not.

NAS looks like he’s filled out a bit more. Not massive by any stretch but looks more mature. He is deceptively tall. With him, Sincs & Boner we have some elite kickers off the half back line. It will be interesting to see what this means for Jimmy as I think he’ll be competing for a spot with Stocker & Bonner.

I overheard a supporter ask Jimmy Van Ess how his injury was going to which he replied, going well, should be back in full training post-Christmas.

Allison has also trained really well this week. He’s an amazing athlete who will be a hard match up as for his size, he’s an elite runner and there wouldn’t be too many his size that could keep up with him. Probably only his kicking lets him down at times.

Those not training included Collard, Garcia, Butler, Hayes, Higgins & Caminiti, although Caminiti came out at the very end (in the red rehab group shirt) and ran a couple of laps. He had a brace on his finger so I assume he’s had some sort of finger surgery, but really struggled with his running (perhaps a fitness issue??).

Owens once again ran laps – doesn't appear to be injured and like others have stated, perhaps he is being managed?
Lace Out, thanks for all that you do mate. I always read your reports here and on Big Footy. I’m going to get down to the club before Xmas.

happy feet
Club Player

Thanks for the reports.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Kick-it-lace-out wrote: Fri 08 Dec 2023 1:36pm Training Friday 8/12

That was me who asked Van Es that question. :lol: :lol:

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

White a few players not resuming full training until after Christmas

Hayes
Steele
Higgins
Owens
Van Es
King
Butler
Hotton
Webster
Crouch
Caminiti

Club Player

Thanks very much 🙏 for the training updates.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

What stood out for me at training today was, at the DF center end of the ground Lenny took charge of the drill and BJ stood back and watched.
It was like there was some mentoring happening.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Thanks for the training updates

I'm in Melbourne for the next week and I'm keen to get along and have a look at training.

Can anyone tell me which days and what time the sessions start?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

RTB watching the whole thing from the balcony sipping an almond latte.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I think they're on a break now until the new year.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

saintbob wrote: Sat 09 Dec 2023 5:48am Thanks for the training updates

I'm in Melbourne for the next week and I'm keen to get along and have a look at training.

This week they trained on Mon, Wed & Friday, starting at about 9.30 although the first 30 minutes is usually a warm up so if you get there around 10am you should be ok. I usually ring the club in the morning to find out if they're training.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Monday,Wednesday,Friday 9.30. Last session before Xmas is Monday 18

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Tony, article suggested we had already reached the break.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Owens has foot soreness. Hopefully that doesn’t turn out to be something more sinister.

He has obviously been training very hard, perhaps over training. He should take it easy for 2-3 weeks so it recovers in time for post Christmas training.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 09 Dec 2023 8:47pm Owens has foot soreness. Hopefully that doesn’t turn out to be something more sinister.

He has obviously been training very hard, perhaps over training. He should take it easy for 2-3 weeks so it recovers in time for post Christmas training.
That’s a bummer… foot injuries are the worst.

I’ve got some issues with my right foot and I’ve been managing them for 6 months at least… sometimes it’s fine for weeks at a time and I think it’s completely healed then it’s like the worst it’s ever been.

Hopefully it’s not an overuse thing.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sat 09 Dec 2023 9:32am I think they're on a break now until the new year.
Friday the 15th December is the last session.

I could have gone in a draw to win a Saints 2024 jumper, BUT, i had to commit to attending training on the 15th, so i declined.

Not a good look for an an old fart to be wandering around town in a Saints jumper.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 09 Dec 2023 9:13pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 09 Dec 2023 8:47pm Owens has foot soreness. Hopefully that doesn’t turn out to be something more sinister.

That’s a bummer… foot injuries are the worst.

I’ve got some issues with my right foot and I’ve been managing them for 6 months at least… sometimes it’s fine for weeks at a time and I think it’s completely healed then it’s like the worst it’s ever been.

Hopefully it’s not an overuse thing.
If it was anyone else, gout might be unfairly whispered.

No C2-H6-O during preseason.
Obviously essential during the actual season.
Anyway that's my experience.

Yours in comfy slippers
Y

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

For the extra special sessions: https://www.saints.com.au/news/1475054? ... d=16652273

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!