Sid Draper... How?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

footynut
Club Player

Sid Draper... How?

The 2024 list management is now finalised, and with the start of f pre-season the chase for ultimate glory has begun once again.

However it's now time for SOS & Gubby to s*** to their focus to the 2024 draft. Ive noticed that once again there are quite a few academy kids available for the northern clubs and several highly touted F/S picks.

So my y question is how do we manouevour our draft hand to enable us to secure Sid Draper? From his under are highlights he looks like the player we need to complete our midfield moving forward.

A midfield of Pou, Owned & Draper on the inside, and Nas & Wilson on the outside sounds devastating. How do we achieve this??

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sid Draper... How?

No idea how good the kid is, but finishing last gets you first pick.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Cool! So, the plan is to bottom out in ‘24 and get Sid!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
footynut
Club Player

Really all you could think of is bottoming out. Disappointing! I would of thought people here and SOS & Gumby could be more creative. Such as use the mechanism currently in place to our advantage. ie trading a selection of lower pick with greater points value for higher picks, or bringing 2025 picks forward.

SaintWiki
Club Player

Sainternist wrote: Wed 06 Dec 2023 12:59pm Cool! So, the plan is to bottom out in ‘24 and get Sid!
:D :D :D :mrgreen: Thanks. Gave me a good laugh whilst wading through the "ins and outs of a ducks R sole".

diddley
Club Player

footynut wrote: Wed 06 Dec 2023 2:30pm Really all you could think of is bottoming out. Disappointing! I would of thought people here and SOS & Gumby could be more creative. Such as use the mechanism currently in place to our advantage. ie trading a selection of lower pick with greater points value for higher picks, or bringing 2025 picks forward.
This year proved it is not that simple.
Melbourne offered 3 first round picks plus more to get pick 1 off West Coast. They said no.
Sometimes plays like that work. Sometimes it isn’t simple.

King Max
Club Player

Our strategy should be that if he is the best player available at our pick, we take him.

outside66
Club Player

Would rather us throw everything at Port for Rozee

spert
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Wed 06 Dec 2023 12:59pm Cool! So, the plan is to bottom out in ‘24 and get Sid!

Bloody hard to play bass with the guitar down under your nuts

NickyDal
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Fri 08 Dec 2023 1:32pm Would rather us throw everything at Port for Rozee
I would rather use every pick we have at the draft. Throwing multiple picks at a single player seldom works. eg. Brad Hill. Nothing against the guy it's not his fault but we wasted 2 high picks and Acres to get him. Lets just keep doing what we have done in the last couple of drafts for another 3 years and then reassess.

NeXus.

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote:eg. Brad Hill. Nothing against the guy it's not his fault but we wasted 2 high picks and Acres to get him.
Hmmm....Yet you never miss an opportunity to bring him up and sink the boots into him.
Since he arrived, he has played in all but two games and we've made the finals twice.
His run and carry is something we've not had for a long time.

FWIW, we are 0-2 when he doesn't play.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He wasn’t worth two first rounders and Acres

I think one of ghose selections was Serong?

Nope
The picks we traded ended up elsewhere
Kossy Pickett
Miles Bergman

NickyDal
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 08 Dec 2023 4:04pm
NickyDal wrote:eg. Brad Hill. Nothing against the guy it's not his fault but we wasted 2 high picks and Acres to get him.
Hmmm....Yet you never miss an opportunity to bring him up and sink the boots into him.
Since he arrived, he has played in all but two games and we've made the finals twice.

You must be confusing me with someone else. I have never sunk the boots into him at all. Completely false statement by you.

Please show me my post where I supposedly sunk the boots into Hill....

NeXus Nick
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

3 step strategy.
- Forget/go into denial that even the sog Gary Ablett Jr couldn't get Suns success (focus on one player is self defeating and completely wrong focus but put that aside);
- Make North our BFF and say: as we took Mason Wood off its hands and often make them look good during our matches and its got a lot of pull with the AFL could it pretty please ask for us to be given a priority pick just like the Roos (but only one, not like greedy North's several) and we promise to use it on Sid even if a better prospect comes along;
- Show him the 1966 VFL premiership Cup; South Adelaide's SANFL last was 1964 so young Sid will be impressed. Throw in a promise to play his favourite Ultra instinct popping remix pregames so he will nominate the Saints.

King Max
Club Player

Ryan Byrnes also played his first game in 2020. He has a better win loss record at St Kilda. Correlation doesn’t necessarily mean causation.

Hill also missed the win against Hawthorn this year. We are 1-2 without him.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Fri 08 Dec 2023 3:41pm

Bloody hard to play bass with the guitar down under your nuts
It’s not uncommon for bassists to have their basses that low slung.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Fri 08 Dec 2023 6:35pm

You must be confusing me with someone else. I have never sunk the boots into him at all. Completely false statement by you.

You started a thread naming him as someone we should trade out. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Fri 08 Dec 2023 8:32pm

Ryan Byrnes also played his first game in 2020. He has a better win loss record at St Kilda. Correlation doesn’t necessarily mean causation.

Hill also missed the win against Hawthorn this year. We are 1-2 without him.
I know that correlation doesn't mean causation...I was being deliberately flippant with the comment. Hence the FWIW at the start...drawing no conclusions.
I must have missed that Hawthorn game.

NickyDal
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote: Sat 09 Dec 2023 11:20am

You started a thread naming him as someone we should trade out. Like shooting fish in a barrel.
This is not sinking the boots in. This is trying to convert another pick in the 20's so we can add to our young guns. If Hill was 5 years younger then I would not suggest trading him but unfortunately he is not 5 years younger. Nothing against the kid.

NeXus Nick
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’m not even sure some team would even use a list spot on Hill next year at 32yo - even if he was free

saynta
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Sat 09 Dec 2023 4:55pm

This is not sinking the boots in. This is trying to convert another pick in the 20's so we can add to our young guns. If Hill was 5 years younger then I would not suggest trading him but unfortunately he is not 5 years younger. Nothing against the kid.
Hill is definitely not a "kid" FFS and the experts say he is fit enough to play for another 5 years....at least.

Hopefully with the Saints.

NickyDal
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 09 Dec 2023 7:01pm

Hill is definitely not a "kid" FFS and the experts say he is fit enough to play for another 5 years....at least.

Compared to you and me he is a kid. :lol:

NeXus Nick
saynta
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Sat 09 Dec 2023 7:46pm
saynta wrote: Sat 09 Dec 2023 7:01pm

Compared to you and me he is a kid. :lol:
:wink: