3k Trial

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

3k Trial

This pre-season’s 3km time trial is in the books!

1. Darcy Wilson 🥇
2. Marcus Windhager 🥈
3. Mattaes Phillipou 🥉

Wood and Hill did not compete

saint4life
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Re: 3k Trial

Wow...impressive from the youngsters.

Go Darcy....and great to see Windy and Pou driving standards so early in their careers

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Me in another thread
skeptic wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 11:18am Well…

Wilson wins the 3km time trial (according to Saints FB page) with Windhager and Phillipou round out the top 3.

Always blows my mind that a kid outside the system can waltz in and take the honours like that…. Noting however that Windy who is an absolute beast of a runner came in at number 2 and Wilson is by all accounts a running machine and fast at that might actually point more towards this kid being something special rather than it reflecting poorly on everyone else.

Lots to like about this Wilson kid.

Also am very chuffed to see Phillipou back up as well.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 1:57pm Me in another thread

Wilson wins the 3km time trial (according to Saints FB page) with Windhager and Phillipou round out the top 3.

Always blows my mind that a kid outside the system can waltz in and take the honours like that…. Noting however that Windy who is an absolute beast of a runner came in at number 2 and Wilson is by all accounts a running machine and fast at that might actually point more towards this kid being something special rather than it reflecting poorly on everyone else.

Only just noticed you post skeptic
It was in thread about will these players be better

saint4life
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 2:11pm

Correct but I think it’s worth its own thread.

Would love to no more about how others went

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

I love seeing the new boy win the time trial. Will make him a hot contender for a round 1 debut. Seeing Phillipou and Windhager in the top 3 makes me think they will both blow up this coming season. I’m excited.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Am I correct in assuming this is 1-4 year players?

Regardless that is a serious feather in the cap of Darcy Wilson.

To beat Windhager home the young fella must have a tank.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Club Player

What a fantastic effort by Darcy Wilson.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 2:43pm
chook23 wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 2:11pm

Correct but I think it’s worth its own thread.

Would love to no more about how others went
Jack Steele, Mitch Owens, Zak Jones, Brad Crouch, Dan Butler, Bradley Hill, Mason Wood, Jack Hayes, Anthony Caminiti and Max King were among the Saints not to take part in this morning’s time trial, with majority either facing minor niggles or managing post-season surgeries that will likely have no bearing on next year’s workload.

Byrnes and Allison in top 5

saint4life
longtimesaint
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 2:57pm Am I correct in assuming this is 1-4 year players?

This is the full list time trial.
A few players not competing due to niggles or recovering from post season surgeries

One year will be our year
chook23
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 3:34pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 2:57pm Am I correct in assuming this is 1-4 year players?

This is the full list time trial.
A few players not competing due to niggles or recovering from post season surgeries
27 in the trial

More than a few missed

saint4life
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Quite a few didn't run. Garcia has hamstring tendonitis, which is a concern. Any thought of senior football in 2024 for Garcia can probably be put to bed. With that injury/condition, it might be a while before he can get the work into his legs.

Wood has a slight calf issue

Steele is coming off ankle surgery, as is Van Es

Not sure why Hotton and Higgins didn't participate. I hope Hotton's back hasn't flared up again.

Owens not participating worries me, too.

Crouch and Butler didn't run. I think both may ave had post season surgeries. I think it was an ankle for Butler.

Some of these guys will have carried injuries over from the season. Let's hope they're all back in full training really soon. With an earlier start to the 2024 season, any time lost before Christmas is going to have quite an impact.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Something that's not common knowledge is Tarkyn O'Leary, a recent Sandy signing, came second behind Wilson in today's time trial...Windhager third, Phillipou 4th.
Wilson seemed to do it on the bit, sprinting to the front in the last 50 metres.
Young O'Leary was chuffed with coming second & did his chances no harm in potentially getting picked up in the mid season draft.

In the training afterwards, Dow and Henry were very impressive, moving well and provided real energy.
Henry is a lovely mover with great lateral speed, as is Lance Collard, which, in speaking with Katrina Amon, has settled in well.
In his combine interview he said he loved to sit on guys heads, kick snags & put a smile on peoples faces...what a great attitude!
There was a kid there that caught my eye, turns out it was Hugo Hall-Kahan, just fresh from signing with Sandy.
He's a nice size, good mover & seems to use it well by hand and foot..also very assured over head.
Although getting over a hammy issue, i was told that Hugo Garcia is incredibly driven, already making a big impression at the club.
Gotta feeling Arie Shoemaker will be a crowd favourite, with his booming left peg a delight to see!...not just the depth of his kicking but how he weights his kicks to the advantage of his teammate.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 4:41pm Something that's not common knowledge is Tarkyn O'Leary, a recent Sandy signing, came second behind Wilson in today's time trial...Windhager third, Phillipou 4th.
Wilson seemed to do it on the bit, sprinting to the front in the last 50 metres.
Young O'Leary was chuffed with coming second & did his chances no harm in potentially getting picked up in the mid season draft.

In the training afterwards, Dow and Henry were very impressive, moving well and provided real energy.
Henry is a lovely mover with great lateral speed, as is Lance Collard, which, in speaking with Katrina Amon, has settled in well.
In his combine interview he said he loved to sit on guys heads, kick snags & put a smile on peoples faces...what a great attitude!
There was a kid there that caught my eye, turns out it was Hugo Hall-Kahan, just fresh from signing with Sandy.
He's a nice size, good mover & seems to use it well by hand and foot..also very assured over head.
Although getting over a hammy issue, i was told that Hugo Garcia is incredibly driven, already making a big impression at the club.
Gotta feeling Arie Shoemaker will be a crowd favourite, with his booming left peg a delight to see!...not just the depth of his kicking but how he weights his kicks to the advantage of his teammate.
Thanks Mike, terrific info.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 4:41pm Something that's not common knowledge is Tarkyn O'Leary, a recent Sandy signing, came second behind Wilson in today's time trial...Windhager third, Phillipou 4th.

Hello Mike, are they training on Friday (8/12/2023) and do you know what time, i plan on going.
Thanks.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 3:58pm Quite a few didn't run. Garcia has hamstring tendonitis, which is a concern. Any thought of senior football in 2024 for Garcia can probably be put to bed. With that injury/condition, it might be a while before he can get the work into his legs.

Not sure why Hotton and Higgins didn't participate. I hope Hotton's back hasn't flared up again.

Crouch and Butler didn't run. I think both may ave had post season surgeries. I think it was an ankle for Butler.

Some of these guys will have carried injuries over from the season. Let's hope they're all back in full training really soon. With an earlier start to the 2024 season, any time lost before Christmas is going to have quite an impact.
Van Es is fine- ankle is good, just a very slight quad strain
Owens- cutting back a bit of his load as he did TOO much during the off season
Hotton- Again just managing his load ….theyve learnt a lot from last year where basically everyone was on the same program

Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

tony74 wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 7:31pm
cwrcyn wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 3:58pm Quite a few didn't run. Garcia has hamstring tendonitis, which is a concern. Any thought of senior football in 2024 for Garcia can probably be put to bed. With that injury/condition, it might be a while before he can get the work into his legs.

Van Es is fine- ankle is good, just a very slight quad strain
Owens- cutting back a bit of his load as he did TOO much during the off season
Hotton- Again just managing his load ….theyve learnt a lot from last year where basically everyone was on the same program

Owens looked like he's put on size. He is a BIG unit. Good luck tackling him next year. :D

Saintmike65
Club Player

bobmurray wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 7:10pm

Hello Mike, are they training on Friday (8/12/2023) and do you know what time, i plan on going.
Thanks.
Training 9.30 Friday…enjoy!!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 8:20pm
bobmurray wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 7:10pm

Thanks.
Training 9.30 Friday…enjoy!!
Thanks Mike.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

My read between the lines, based on all the training reports:

Some genuine enthusiasm and excitement around preseason (social media and forums). Last year was all about Ross, we heard Windy won the time trial but nothing more
The focus on the development of the 1st and 2nd year kids is much more important than how the old crew are going. This will take a huge burden off the likes of Hill, Clark, Steele and King, who need some time under the radar
There is some genuine competitiveness amongst the group
There's a good balance of elite preparation and fun
Windy and Pou are primed for breakout seasons.
No injuries that will affect players beyond the end of year

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Windy, Pou and Wilson (and Michito) will be driving the standards for the next 10 years.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

Has the club released the times for the 3KTT? Does anyone know what the times were? Please post if you know.

While I appreciate the coverage of the session and the reports of our forumites, it seems peculiar that times have not been posted by the club. Without the times, some of the relevance is lost.

Did anyone post a PB? How did the groups' performance compare to last year's players at the same stage of pre-season?

I know the 3KTT wasn't part of it last year, but meaningful conclusions can still be drawn. Wilson was the winner, but what was his time? What if he ran a slowish time and the rest of the group was worse?

Someone out there knows particularly the coaching and high-performance staff. If they published the times, we would have a better idea of where the group is at. If they have been published somewhere, please direct me to it, and ignore this post. Cheers.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Nick DalSanto Claus wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 11:20pm Has the club released the times for the 3KTT? Does anyone know what the times were? Please post if you know.

While I appreciate the coverage of the session and the reports of our forumites, it seems peculiar that times have not been posted by the club. Without the times, some of the relevance is lost.

Did anyone post a PB? How did the groups' performance compare to last year's players at the same stage of pre-season?

I know the 3KTT wasn't part of it last year, but meaningful conclusions can still be drawn. Wilson was the winner, but what was his time? What if he ran a slowish time and the rest of the group was worse?

Someone out there knows particularly the coaching and high-performance staff. If they published the times, we would have a better idea of where the group is at. If they have been published somewhere, please direct me to it, and ignore this post. Cheers.
Ran on grass this year so times will likely be beaten by most clubs. Hence may not be posted as they will not stack up well. Never understood why clubs mostly do time trials on athletics tracks.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Impressive from Wilson. Reckon he plays round 1 ala Phillipou

Saintmike65
Club Player

Brunswicksainter wrote: Tue 05 Dec 2023 1:01am
Nick DalSanto Claus wrote: Mon 04 Dec 2023 11:20pm Has the club released the times for the 3KTT? Does anyone know what the times were? Please post if you know.

Ran on grass this year so times will likely be beaten by most clubs. Hence may not be posted as they will not stack up well. Never understood why clubs mostly do time trials on athletics tracks.
Yes times are around 20 seconds slower on grass