Pre season training - Monday November 27

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmike65
Club Player

Pre season training - Monday November 27

The first day of preseason training was a gloomy, drizzly day but saw the players come back in very good nick.
It was only supposed to be for 1-4 year players, however there were a lot of senior players that came back early.
They had a very light session, with some ball movement work plus a bit of goal kicking.
Of the players traded in, both Paddy Dow and Liam Henry trained today, as did Riley Bonner, who kicks effortlessly 55 metres and also drills the ball low and quick through the air with his foot passing.
Of the players drafted from last year, Phillipou & Van Es look leaner, Hotton and Keeler look a bit stronger, Caminiti was in the gym & recovering from a broken little finger.
The new draftees just ran laps, then had a bit of a kick around later.
Hastie and Collard are very light, Wilson a bit more developed but still needs work in the gym and Garcia looks the most advanced at 185cm and 85kgs, he seems very diligent, doing extra work one on one with Lenny after training finished.
Arie Shoenmaker is a fairly solid kid but just needs to build muscle.
I was impressed with the size of Liam O'Connell, looks a very likely type & could be a surprise packet.
Pleasingly, Zac Jones looks to have regained his conditioning after losing a fair bit of weight in season 2022.
For all those Hunter Clark critics, he looks stronger in the upper body & moved well today.
Max King had his knee iced post training but assured us he is fine!
The players will be doing a 3km time trial next Monday at RSEA Park, which will include ALL players.
We spoke to our fitness guy, who seemed happy with the players so early in the preseason.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pre season training - Monday November 27

Scroll left to see all the photos

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Great stuff! Thanks for getting down and providing the update! Who of the senior players was down? I’m tipping Mason Wood and Brad Hill?

Saintmike65
Club Player

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Mon 27 Nov 2023 4:59pm Great stuff! Thanks for getting down and providing the update! Who of the senior players was down? I’m tipping Mason Wood and Brad Hill?
Jones
Crouch
Ross
Hill
Clark
King
Byrnes
Stocker
Butler
Marshall
Higgins
Battle
Paton
Wilkie
** There may have been other senior players in the gym the I didn’t see

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Mike - hopefully we have a better run with injuries this preseason.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Fantastic report, thank you

Exciting to hear about Bonner

Club Player

Thanks Saintmike.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

shrodes
SS Life Member

With credit to Mavefromdelburn
BigFooty pre season training report 27/11

By Mavefromdelburn

Crappy rainy wet day.

Seemed to be a heavy focus on running, as suppose I guess is to be expected this early.

- Was good to see some of the older players (or just not 1-4 year players) back first of all, I saw Wilkie, Steele, Marshall, Hill, Battle, Paton, Butler, Crouch, Jones, Higgins.

- Higgins, King, Jones, and Heath all pretty much ran laps the entire time. Higgins was hitting a good pace. He's not built slim but he seems pretty fit - holding the pace of his runs well and didn't look cooked. Steele and Butler were pushing a good pace running together.
King was running really hard, pushing himself. Keeled over afterward like me jogging for the train. He's moving well.

- Heath was running separately, with BJ running with him giving him advice on pacing and endurance, was interesting to see. Clearly something they need to keep working at but he was certainly giving it a crack, looked wrecked at the end.

-Van Es (I think) was ding some serious running, almost repeat sprints, in the centre of the ground. Combined with some kick and lead drills with coaches. He is really well built especially through the legs, and hope with a little more time and tank he will come on well. Best I've seen him moving so far.

-There was a short drill, 2 groups. Keepings off handball circle with defenders in the middle. Kept a close eye on Dow and Henry in these, and they've both got quick hands. Dow was probably quicker and more accurate, whereas Henry moved more creatively/unpredictably for defenders and was more evasive.

-Defenders did a drill. Boris threw a ball at them so they could 'mark', he would then push up on them quickly, forcing the defenders to back up as fast as possible before getting a kick off to a player leading at them (around Boris on the mark). First of all I know we've seen the pics, but Windy is enormous, he's in ripping condition. Pou, Nas, and a young red head player? not sure maybe from Sandy, all had beautiful kicks in the wet. Good hands from a few on the half-volley wet pick up on the run too.

-Groups of about 8 separated and did repeat 400m runs. The usuals, Windy, Byrnes, Hill were all really strong. Henry was doing well and looks quite fit which is good. They were pushing each other, hitting a solid pace repeatedly. Seb looked okay but a little slow the ol' fella, was probably 5 or so seconds behind his group at the end... which admittedly had Ronnie and Windy. Battle seems great for the group, was motivating everyone, pushing them etc.
-There were 3 or 4 players I didn't recognise - definitely not on Saints' list.

DRAFTEES:

-The draftees all stayed together mostly. They did some really light touch work in the middle, had a little kick at goals, and did some running.
-Schoey is a big boy. Was moving well but looked a bit gassed, might need to work on the tank a little.
-Hastie is bit taller than I was expecting, and ran really well with the group. Looked very fit. Looked as fresh as Wilson during their laps and he's the running machine of the group (although admittedly hard to tell considering Banga used to look absolutely cooked about 2 mins in but could run all day).
-Irish recruit is a good size and runs well, but is going to take some time skills-wise (obviously). Kicks it decently but not overly accurately. Went over Collards head a few times.
- Collard is very lightly built as we knew. He ran okay, his touch looked fine, but he didn't seem massively keen. Hard to tell I suppose, and first day nerves maybe coupled with the abysmal Melbourne dreary drizzle probably didn't help lol I'm still very keen on him but yeah I reckon he may take a bit.

There's my rambling done, let me know if there's someone you want to know about and I'll let you know if I saw them at all.

Cheers

shrodes
SS Life Member

Another training report from Mave
Bigfooty training watch
01/12/23

By MavefromDelburn

Some observations from training:

-Brad Hill was there early, did about 45 mins of running a long time before anyone else was out there.

-King, Owens, Jones, Van Es all doing laps together. They stuck together for most of the day doing runs for about 45 mins and then some light kicking drills while the rest of the group did proper higher intensity drills. I guess load management for these guys.

2 groups in a tackling/agility exercise:
-Ball handballed to a player who has to try and step around oppo.
-Dow was good with his footwork and hands, Battle was the strongest tackler, let nobody past him, and Henry had a really nice step.

Longer Kicking Drill:
-25m or so to each other on the run.
-Some ripping stab kicks from Stocker and Nas.
-Some...not great kicks from a couple going 10m over teammates head.

Small 5v5 green vs plain:
-Ball was thrown into congestion, plain team to link up through the congestion one way to the cones about 10m away, then back through the 'corridor' where the defending team was blocking and pressing.
-Plain team goes through congested corridor using running and hands, then gets it to an outside runner who kicks i50 at a leading player.
-Stocker was very good defensively in this drill, he corralled and pressured the best out of those that I saw, but was not particularly good offensively. He missed 2/3 handballs, was frustrated with himself. Side note: he is very vocal, does a lot of directing. Asks players to get in receiving oppo's eyeline to make it harder, explains to teammates why their positioning was causing a turnover due to lack of outlets after being forced to the sideline. Was good to see.
-Windhager was the best here offensively for mine, he is creative and accurate by hand in traffic.
-Red head sandy lad, Ollie Lowe, has a great kick on him. I said it last week, too. Hit a 40m bullet running out of traffic, inside 50 to a leading up Nas.

Half field 10v10:
-Simple move the ball one end to the other, like a mini half field match sim.
-I noticed Keeler was involved a fair bit which surprised me, even through the guts. Has some leap on him.
-Henry wasn't being used a whole lot in this drill, was calling a lot but wasn't getting used. He did run up and down the 'wings' repeatedly though and kept working.
-Windhanger standout again, looks so fit. Others were tiring as the drill was repeated several times, and he looked fresh. Clean and accurate by hand and foot, is a very well rounded player.

Another 10v10 in a... 50m square?
-Pou's decision making was quite poor in this, and his execution was too. He missed multiple handballs, and couldn't decide where to kick a few times, ending in him being caught. Ross yelled from the boundary to use his first outlet option. Pou looked a bit frustrated but continued to go hard. Sharman must've said something to him because when Pou pressured Sharmo into dropping an easy mark, he let him know about it lol bit of a competitor the lad. Worked back into it okay eventually.
-Seb Ross was quite good, had a really nice creative kick to break defensive zone.
-Allison surprisingly was quite good and noticeable, had quick feet under pressure... not something I've said before.
-Dow was nice in the middle, created 2 turnovers and intercepted another through his pressure and positioning.
-Windy, Nas, and Stocker created the most defensive rebound drive.

Draftees:
-Initially did a mock defensive pressure drill.
-Ground ball thrown at them, had to gather and step around incoming corralling defensive player, and get a kick off.
-Wilson is so agile, turned Irish lad O'Connell inside out on the boundary.
-Collard had good awareness of where his teammates where, allowed him to get kicks off, and hit a nice one 30m-40mish.
-Schoey is a pretty big kid, but was moving pretty well
-They then did timed runs as a group. Wilson set the pace, doing it so so easily compared to the other lads. O'connell generally ran 2nd behind him.
-Collard is going to need some work on his tank, sat last in the pack, but after a few repeated, hard-run, 200m's he ended up about 100m behind Wilson (fresh as a daisy still lol).
-Schoey did well to hold pace just behind lead. They were pushing the pace too.
-Looking at Wilson's running, he could near on win our time trial... is an unreal runner. Had plenty in the tank when others were on their haunches. Even chatted to the coaches as they ran past. He really got around the others at the end of each 200m too, especially Collard.

Many of the other players were doing repeat 200's as well, at a serious pace. They were really pushing each other. Some really exhausted looking players.
-Pou looked cooked but was holding pace with Ronnie the whole time, a really good sign for his fitness.
-Coops sagging a bit behind, and Dow at the back of the pack but going okay.

Cheers.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Wilson sounds like he’s going to be a gun.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
shrodes
SS Life Member

Another training report
Bigfooty training wrap 04/12/2023

By kick it lace out

Popped in to this morning's session. Here are my observations/thoughts:

Session started with some dynamic stretching before the 3km time trial.

Small group trained away from the main group and did not take part in the TT. (Owens, Steele, King, Crouch, Hill, Jones & a couple of others I think). Steele looks bigger than last season, and seems to have regained his bulk from 2022. Owens is an absolute beast and looks to have put on some more size (good luck tackling him next year!). King also looking in great shape and continues to build an AFL body (he's going to be unstopable one day - and hopefully that day comes around soon).
Byrnes, Allison, Pou, Wilson, Windy started the TT really strongly before Allison dropped back (understandable given how much of last year he missed). As the trial went on the front group got stronger and opened up a pretty significant gap to the second bunch with another gap to the third bunch who seemed to be struggling (NAS, Hunter & Dow were in this group). Max Heath & Zane Cordy were stone motherless last and were lapped by the end. I can understand Heath not having much of a tank given his size and the fact that this is only his second pre-season but Cordy is embarrassing. Of the newbies, Angus Hastie & Lance Collard were at the back of the pack with Collard in particular struggling.

It was good to see Skunk out there looking as fit as ever and participating in full training (TT as well as drills). Another observation is that Hunter Clarke finally looks AFL fit. He seems to have trimmed down and I noticed some definition in his arms. Hopefully this is his breakout season, and the penny has finally dropped.

Collard came third last and only beat home Cordy & Heath, but the boy has some serious tricks (more on about him later!).

On the final 200 metres of the 3km TT, Windy, Pou & Wilson stepped it up a gear and just exploded home. Seriously impressed with Pou's running ability. He really surprised me given his size (190cm +).

In terms of drills, a lot of focus on moving the ball out of congestion with quick handballs, and another moving it by foot. I have to say that at times, the skills were a bit scratchy although it is only pre-season so understandable.

Of the new recruits, Wilson is a very smooth mover and his skills are excellent. (We've got another good one in him). Angus Hastie is also a very smooth mover and his skills are excellent (trained like his highlight reel). He will need time as he's very skinny and just doesn't have an AFL body yet. Lance Collard excites me. He reads and anticipates the ball brilliantly and his skills are sublime, but like Hastie he is miles away as he needs to build a tank and put on some size. Arie Schoenmaker has great skills but seemed cooked after the 3km TT, and was receiving plenty of instruction from some of senior players in terms of positioning.

Of the others here are some quick thoughts:
* Max Heath - his kicking skills are terrible - I'm not sure he'll make it. I hope he does but right now he is miles behind, Marshall, Campbell & even Keeler.
* Stocker - very vocal and providing lot's of encouragement. Seems like a natural leader.
* Battle ran very well in the time trial (as expected).
* I was surprised at how tall Bonner is (190cm)

Players that didn't train: Higgins, Butler, Hotton, Wood, Garcia (I think), Van Ess.

Overall I was impressed with the skill set of this years draftees although I think all of them will need time. Of all of them I think Wilson might sneak a few senior games next season.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone know if there is training on tomorrow (Wed 6th) or Thursday .... and what time?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Devilhead wrote: Tue 05 Dec 2023 5:51pm Does anyone know if there is training on tomorrow (Wed 6th) or Thursday .... and what time?
Wednesday and Friday at around 9.30mmate

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Tony!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!