First preseason training day

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmike65
Club Player

First preseason training day

Hi all

The 1-4 year players are back on deck tomorrow, scheduled to be 9.30am for those that can make it down.
For those that can’t, I’ll put up a training report!

George27
Club Player

Re: First preseason training day

Saintmike65 wrote: Sun 26 Nov 2023 11:18am Hi all

The 1-4 year players are back on deck tomorrow, scheduled to be 9.30am for those that can make it down.
For those that can’t, I’ll put up a training report!
Thanks - that would be greatly appreciated. I hope you do your study tonight so you can work out who is who between the new lads !

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Mike.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Who was the redheaded young guy training with the players today, i didn't recognise him ?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The redhead was Ollie Low, Sandringham player

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Most of he senior group was out on the track along with the year 1-4 players. Only Cordy, Howard, Caminiti, Campbell, Membrey, and Webster weren't out there.

The national draftees trained separately and mostly did laps and short handball drills. Hugo Garcia only came out late to do handball drills with Lenny Hayes. O'Connell and Garcia are physically ready for AFL. Collard and Hastie are both very thin, and will need another 8kg before being thrown into the senior cauldron. Schoenmaker is a solid unit, while Wilson is built like Paddy Dow. Schoenmaker and O'Connell's legs were quite red after their running session, so fitness wise the looked a bit behind Collard, Wilson, and Hastie.

Keeler and Van Es just did laps, as did Max King, Mason Wood, and Mich Owens

Ollie Hotton has put on some size, as has Keeler

As for the session itself, it mostly focussed on short kicking in two separate groups. There was nothing really to gauge, apart from the ability of players to handle a wet ball. Big Moose was a little bit sloppy, but everyone else was pretty clean.

Very early days. I'm sure the regulator track watchers will provide better info in the coming sessions

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 27 Nov 2023 3:12pm Most of he senior group was out on the track along with the year 1-4 players. Only Cordy, Howard, Caminiti, Campbell, Membrey, and Webster weren't out there.

The national draftees trained separately and mostly did laps and short handball drills. Hugo Garcia only came out late to do handball drills with Lenny Hayes. O'Connell and Garcia are physically ready for AFL. Collard and Hastie are both very thin, and will need another 8kg before being thrown into the senior cauldron. Schoenmaker is a solid unit, while Wilson is built like Paddy Dow. Schoenmaker and O'Connell's legs were quite red after their running session, so fitness wise the looked a bit behind Collard, Wilson, and Hastie.

As for the session itself, it mostly focussed on short kicking in two separate groups. There was nothing really to gauge, apart from the ability of players to handle a wet ball. Big Moose was a little bit sloppy, but everyone else was pretty clean.

Very early days. I'm sure the regulator track watchers will provide better info in the coming sessions
Members, Sincs, Howard and Campbell worked on their fitness before the main group came out. The only one with a bit of an injury is Jack Hayes.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

BigFooty pre season training report 27/11

By Mavefromdelburn

Crappy rainy wet day.

Seemed to be a heavy focus on running, as suppose I guess is to be expected this early.

- Was good to see some of the older players (or just not 1-4 year players) back first of all, I saw Wilkie, Steele, Marshall, Hill, Battle, Paton, Butler, Crouch, Jones, Higgins.

- Higgins, King, Jones, and Heath all pretty much ran laps the entire time. Higgins was hitting a good pace. He's not built slim but he seems pretty fit - holding the pace of his runs well and didn't look cooked. Steele and Butler were pushing a good pace running together.
King was running really hard, pushing himself. Keeled over afterward like me jogging for the train. He's moving well.

- Heath was running separately, with BJ running with him giving him advice on pacing and endurance, was interesting to see. Clearly something they need to keep working at but he was certainly giving it a crack, looked wrecked at the end.

-Van Es (I think) was ding some serious running, almost repeat sprints, in the centre of the ground. Combined with some kick and lead drills with coaches. He is really well built especially through the legs, and hope with a little more time and tank he will come on well. Best I've seen him moving so far.

-There was a short drill, 2 groups. Keepings off handball circle with defenders in the middle. Kept a close eye on Dow and Henry in these, and they've both got quick hands. Dow was probably quicker and more accurate, whereas Henry moved more creatively/unpredictably for defenders and was more evasive.

-Defenders did a drill. Boris threw a ball at them so they could 'mark', he would then push up on them quickly, forcing the defenders to back up as fast as possible before getting a kick off to a player leading at them (around Boris on the mark). First of all I know we've seen the pics, but Windy is enormous, he's in ripping condition. Pou, Nas, and a young red head player? not sure maybe from Sandy, all had beautiful kicks in the wet. Good hands from a few on the half-volley wet pick up on the run too.

-Groups of about 8 separated and did repeat 400m runs. The usuals, Windy, Byrnes, Hill were all really strong. Henry was doing well and looks quite fit which is good. They were pushing each other, hitting a solid pace repeatedly. Seb looked okay but a little slow the ol' fella, was probably 5 or so seconds behind his group at the end... which admittedly had Ronnie and Windy. Battle seems great for the group, was motivating everyone, pushing them etc.
-There were 3 or 4 players I didn't recognise - definitely not on Saints' list.

DRAFTEES:

-The draftees all stayed together mostly. They did some really light touch work in the middle, had a little kick at goals, and did some running.
-Schoey is a big boy. Was moving well but looked a bit gassed, might need to work on the tank a little.
-Hastie is bit taller than I was expecting, and ran really well with the group. Looked very fit. Looked as fresh as Wilson during their laps and he's the running machine of the group (although admittedly hard to tell considering Banga used to look absolutely cooked about 2 mins in but could run all day).
-Irish recruit is a good size and runs well, but is going to take some time skills-wise (obviously). Kicks it decently but not overly accurately. Went over Collards head a few times.
- Collard is very lightly built as we knew. He ran okay, his touch looked fine, but he didn't seem massively keen. Hard to tell I suppose, and first day nerves maybe coupled with the abysmal Melbourne dreary drizzle probably didn't help lol I'm still very keen on him but yeah I reckon he may take a bit.

There's my rambling done, let me know if there's someone you want to know about and I'll let you know if I saw them at all.

Cheers

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Where was Caminiti

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 27 Nov 2023 3:19pm Where was Caminiti
Gym. Will be running next week

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Mon 27 Nov 2023 3:17pm
cwrcyn wrote: Mon 27 Nov 2023 3:12pm Most of he senior group was out on the track along with the year 1-4 players. Only Cordy, Howard, Caminiti, Campbell, Membrey, and Webster weren't out there.

Members, Sincs, Howard and Campbell worked on their fitness before the main group came out. The only one with a bit of an injury is Jack Hayes.
What's happened to Hayes this time ?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend