Saints, Sandy and injuries.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Saints, Sandy and injuries.

Was having a look at where our players might sit across both clubs come round 1.

We have a good range of depth but as we all know our absolute top end isn't as strong as some of the contending clubs.

Do we have any delayed preseasons or injuries as far as anyone here is aware?

Saints
FB Webster Howard Wilkie
CHB Sinclair Battle Milera
C Marshall Steel Crouch
Dow Wood Hill
CHF Henry Camaniti Owens
FF Higgins King Butler

Int Clark Ross Windhager Phillipou

Sandy
FB Paton Cordy Shoenmakers
CHB Bonner Van Es Stocker
C Campbell Hotton Jones
Garcia Byrnes Wilson
CHF Sharman Hayes Membrey
FF Keeler Heath Collard

Int Hastie Allison

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints, Sandy and injuries.

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sat 25 Nov 2023 7:33am Was having a look at where our players might sit across both clubs come round 1.

We have a good range of depth but as we all know our absolute top end isn't as strong as some of the contending clubs.

Saints
FB Webster Howard Wilkie
C Marshall Steel Crouch
Dow Wood Hill
CHF Henry Camaniti Owens
FF Higgins King Butler

Sandy
C Campbell Hotton Jones
Garcia Byrnes Wilson
FF Keeler Heath Collard

Int Hastie Allison
Ahhh must be the off season, another thread about how good our depth is, wasn't it you who started a similar thread in the last off season? Anyway that one didn't age too well.

But I suppose the law of averages might kick in one season.

Still a long way off it though, the current core of kids will still need a good few years of playing to determine if they are capable of competing in the last 2 weeks of a finals series and the older guys on the list probably haven't got much improvement left in them so a few more years of recruiting and building needed.

But then again it could be 1993 all over again and we could win the flag and become the baby Saints, who knows.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 25 Nov 2023 7:57am
nostalgicsaint wrote: Sat 25 Nov 2023 7:33am Was having a look at where our players might sit across both clubs come round 1.

Saints
FB Webster Howard Wilkie
C Marshall Steel Crouch
Dow Wood Hill
CHF Henry Camaniti Owens
FF Higgins King Butler

Sandy
C Campbell Hotton Jones
Garcia Byrnes Wilson
FF Keeler Heath Collard

Int Hastie Allison
Ahhh must be the off season, another thread about how good our depth is, wasn't it you who started a similar thread in the last off season? Anyway that one didn't age too well.

Still a long way off it though, the current core of kids will still need a good few years of playing to determine if they are capable of competing in the last 2 weeks of a finals series and the older guys on the list probably haven't got much improvement left in them so a few more years of recruiting and building needed.

But then again it could be 1993 all over again and we could win the flag and become the baby Saints, who knows.
Our depth didn't age well?

We had a brutal run with injuries and made finals. Not only that, when relying on our depth it was arguably when we displayed our strongest form....

I admit I'm not as smart as you think you are so please explain to me how we were exposed for lack of depth as opposed to top end talent last year.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Saintmike65
Club Player

Time will tell on the depth front but it certainly helps having 3 goods drafts in a row!
No one seems to have Liam O’Connell in their Sandy team…strange!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sat 25 Nov 2023 8:24am

Saints
FB Webster Howard Wilkie
C Marshall Steel Crouch
Dow Wood Hill
CHF Henry Camaniti Owens
FF Higgins King Butler

Sandy
C Campbell Hotton Jones
Garcia Byrnes Wilson
FF Keeler Heath Collard

Int Hastie Allison

We had a brutal run with injuries and made finals. Not only that, when relying on our depth it was arguably when we displayed our strongest form....

I admit I'm not as smart as you think you are so please explain to me how we were exposed for lack of depth as opposed to top end talent last year.
My measure of depth is how a team performs in finals, in particular the last 2 weeks, that's when depth matters.

How much depth did we have available to us in our finals match? To me it looked like boys against men and the game was over at quarter time.

And then how would our depth have held up say against one of the GF sides this year?

I've heard numerous AFL coaches say your depth needs to run to about 25 minimum of GF types if you are any chance of contending, on this measure I'd say we are a good few years away from having a GF capable list.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Sat 25 Nov 2023 8:35am Time will tell on the depth front but it certainly helps having 3 goods drafts in a row!
Hey Mike how is Ross travelling, I hope all is well with him.

Also Members is a notable omission and would be a massive bonus if he can get it together also.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 25 Nov 2023 9:14am

Saints
FB Webster Howard Wilkie
C Marshall Steel Crouch
Dow Wood Hill
CHF Henry Camaniti Owens
FF Higgins King Butler

Sandy
C Campbell Hotton Jones
Garcia Byrnes Wilson
FF Keeler Heath Collard

Int Hastie Allison

My measure of depth is how a team performs in finals, in particular the last 2 weeks, that's when depth matters.

How much depth did we have available to us in our finals match? To me it looked like boys against men and the game was over at quarter time.

And then how would our depth have held up say against one of the GF sides this year?

I've heard numerous AFL coaches say your depth needs to run to about 25 minimum of GF types if you are any chance of contending, on this measure I'd say we are a good few years away from having a GF capable list.
Got it.

So you want to talk to depth of grand final quality players, where I mention depth I was talking about depth of AFL standard players across the list.

Hope that clears things up for you. If not perhaps reread my first post where I state the top end isn't comparable to the contending clubs.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

All about injuries

We are always 3 or 4 injuries away from Sandy being ordinary

Every team looks deep with full list available

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 25 Nov 2023 9:47am All about injuries

We are always 3 or 4 injuries away from Sandy being ordinary

Every team looks deep with full list available
a constant gap between the top 4 to 6 teams each season, getting harder to bat deeper than that with the ever shrinking talent pool aided by the inclusion of franchise teams and the draft secretly formulated concessions and compromises despite AFL controlled media constantly selling the "even competition" propaganda.

I found it interesting that Chris Scott and Ross Lyon broke ranks and publicly commented on the death valley that is the middle of the ladder. Melbourne are the current team to be enjoying a leg up by the AFL to become a sustainable top 4 side, it's North's turn next. Can we be the team to defy history and and the system to develop a sustainable top 4 side from the middle of the ladder without bottoming out hard, only time will tell.

This years first round selection fiasco was embarrassing just as a side note.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saints
FB Webster Howard Wilkie
C Marshall Steel Crouch
Dow Wood Hill
CHF Henry Camaniti Owens
FF Higgins King Butler

Sandy
C Campbell Hotton Jones
Garcia Byrnes Wilson
FF Keeler Heath Collard

Int Hastie Allison

There is always one.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Saints
FB Webster Howard Wilkie
C Marshall Steel Crouch
Dow Wood Hill
CHF Henry Camaniti Owens
FF Higgins King Butler

Sandy
C Campbell Hotton Jones
Garcia Byrnes Wilson
FF Keeler Heath Collard

Int Hastie Allison

That was the first time GWS have beaten us anywhere for four years. Boys against men? Debatable. We beat them this year on their own dunghill despite being injury ravaged and losing Owens before half time.
We beat them easy last year in Canberra in very difficult conditions and despite losing Hayes and others during the game.
In Round 1, 2021 in Sydney's typhoon season we beat them with physical pressure in a game played in flood conditions in Mcquarie Fields again.
And going back to 2020 we beat them by ten goals at a neutral venue, in a game they had to win to play finals.

Nup, the only reason they beat us was due to the tragic circumstances leading into the morning before the final was played. Otherwise, we would have been all over them like white on rice.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Saintmike65
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 25 Nov 2023 9:18am
Saintmike65 wrote: Sat 25 Nov 2023 8:35am Time will tell on the depth front but it certainly helps having 3 goods drafts in a row!

Also Members is a notable omission and would be a massive bonus if he can get it together also.
Last time I saw Ross Lyon was a few weeks ago…he’d just recently had his hip replacement done but was walking with the aid of a cane.
Tim Membrey is definitely playing…I’ll do a comprehensive training report on Monday.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Saints
FB Webster Howard Wilkie
C Marshall Steel Crouch
Dow Wood Hill
CHF Henry Camaniti Owens
FF Higgins King Butler

Sandy
C Campbell Hotton Jones
Garcia Byrnes Wilson
FF Keeler Heath Collard

Int Hastie Allison

As the boss would say, the GWS game was a good audit.
We came up short but there were some lessons learned.
He fixed several things in 2008 when we were spanked by Hawthorn…quick learner is Ross!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 25 Nov 2023 11:59am

Saints
FB Webster Howard Wilkie
C Marshall Steel Crouch
Dow Wood Hill
CHF Henry Camaniti Owens
FF Higgins King Butler

Sandy
C Campbell Hotton Jones
Garcia Byrnes Wilson
FF Keeler Heath Collard

Int Hastie Allison

That was the first time GWS have beaten us anywhere for four years. Boys against men? Debatable. We beat them this year on their own dunghill despite being injury ravaged and losing Owens before half time.
We beat them easy last year in Canberra in very difficult conditions and despite losing Hayes and others during the game.
In Round 1, 2021 in Sydney's typhoon season we beat them with physical pressure in a game played in flood conditions in Mcquarie Fields again.
And going back to 2020 we beat them by ten goals at a neutral venue, in a game they had to win to play finals.

Nup, the only reason they beat us was due to the tragic circumstances leading into the morning before the final was played. Otherwise, we would have been all over them like white on rice.
I don't think even our full strength team would have been able to compete with the version of GWS we met in the final who are now a completely different beast to the one we met in previous games which are always irrelevant when you get to the finals. Using that logic we would have won the flag this year because we had a close game with the Pies in round 6. GWS will become a sustainable top 4 from here as Kingsley has adopted a highly talented list that has quickly picked up his new game plan.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Sat 25 Nov 2023 12:42pm

Saints
FB Webster Howard Wilkie
C Marshall Steel Crouch
Dow Wood Hill
CHF Henry Camaniti Owens
FF Higgins King Butler

Sandy
C Campbell Hotton Jones
Garcia Byrnes Wilson
FF Keeler Heath Collard

Int Hastie Allison

As the boss would say, the GWS game was a good audit.
We came up short but there were some lessons learned.
He fixed several things in 2008 when we were spanked by Hawthorn…quick learner is Ross!
Can't disagree with Ross being a quick learner, he's the best in the business however there is a significant difference to lessons he learnt in 2008, he inherited a highly talented list with an age and game profile that was in the premiership sweet spot.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Sat 25 Nov 2023 12:30pm

Last time I saw Ross Lyon was a few weeks ago…he’d just recently had his hip replacement done but was walking with the aid of a cane.
Tim Membrey is definitely playing…I’ll do a comprehensive training report on Monday.
Yeah I was more thinking how things were on the home front, hopefully all that's going on isn't too much of a distraction for him in 2024.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Saintmike65 wrote: Sat 25 Nov 2023 12:30pm

Good news on Tim Membrey.
Hips are a pretty quick recovery these days.
Look forward to your report.

Keen to read how Henry & Dow look, the physical development in Pou, NWM & Owens, and if Wilson looks likely to challenge for a game early in the season.

# Don’t expect the answers from one session on Monday 😉

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
NickyDal
Club Player

Saints
FB Webster Howard Wilkie
C Marshall Steel Crouch
Dow Wood Hill
CHF Henry Camaniti Owens
FF Higgins King Butler

Sandy
C Campbell Hotton Jones
Garcia Byrnes Wilson
FF Keeler Heath Collard

Int Hastie Allison
That will definitely not be the Sandy side because you can't just pick all the St Kilda listed players. I think there has to be at least 14 Sandy listed players selected first then the remaining can be St Kilda listed players.

Plus, no way Caminiti plays in the seniors before Sharman!!

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: