Jack Bytel training with Collingwood

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Re: Jack Bytel training with Collingwood

saynta wrote: Wed 29 Nov 2023 4:46pm Good chance Jack will join a select group.

Former Saints players to win a premiership with another AFL club.
Maybe a little premature to suggest that.

Firstly he needs to be selected onto the list, then he needs to break into the team.

IMO there is little possibility Bytel could play in the same team as Mitchell, I doubt they play two guys who can’t run in the midfield together.

Therefore if he does get picked up I’d say he is insurance for Mitchell at best.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 29 Nov 2023 8:30pm
Scollop wrote: Wed 29 Nov 2023 6:06pm
Yorkeys wrote: Wed 29 Nov 2023 5:21pm Early in Ross mk2 era, in a game poised, the ball was switched to Jack well clear on the half back line, the players ahead spread and gave him good options, regulation goal 90% probable. Jack dropped the no pressure mark, fumbled the ground ball, chance gone, Jack card noted. It was a poor effort in the heat of battle. Good luck to him if he can get another chance.
Wow! You plucked out one moment and somehow in your mind that defines a player does it?

Have a look at the clanger column next time we play. You'll find some of our best players have 4 or more of these against their name.

Who can forget when Higgins dropped a simple chest mark 10 minutes into the last quarter in Round 11. We were 20 points up if I recall and Higgins was on his own 15 metres out and... he forget to mark the footy ...Plus he forgot to defend when they played on from the resultant behind

Obviously Snags was still thinking about how he would have celebrated after playing on and kicking the sealer. IF he'd marked it! :? :oops:

We lost the game with the Hawks kicking the last 5 goals.

There are thousands of similar incidents where players stuff up or fumble or drop their heads when marking. It happened to Jack Sinclair in the final.

As BM and others have outlined he unfortunately got injured a couple of times and it derailed his opportunities. The cut and infection to his knee was just as much the club's negligence as it was his own personal bad luck.

Jack was never going to replace Hill or Wood or Mich Owens, but I guarantee you Bytel could have easily replaced Crouch or Sebby or Gresham for a dozen games in 2023
You guys need to fix the hair triggers. I am ambivalent about Jack being cut. It was just a telling moment for him. I imagine it registered with the coaches. Conversely you may be spot on, it was an inconsequential aberration and otherwise Jack was largely very good and so harshly treated. But if you shine when the spotlight is on you do your chances no harm.

My conclusion was that he just wasn't good enough on some key point, so that was that.
I think Yorkey's has a point because some players are just one mistake from the cut, while others, can play and play because they are deemed to have the attributes. I was concerned about Pou being picked week in, week out when I thought his contribution didn't justify it. BUt I assume he has the chops and will be given every chance, everytime.

Of course, circumstances mean beggars can't be choosers. I think Caminiti played half of his games on account of Membrey being out.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 30 Nov 2023 10:08am
Yorkeys wrote: Wed 29 Nov 2023 8:30pm
Scollop wrote: Wed 29 Nov 2023 6:06pm
Yorkeys wrote: Wed 29 Nov 2023 5:21pm Early in Ross mk2 era, in a game poised, the ball was switched to Jack well clear on the half back line, the players ahead spread and gave him good options, regulation goal 90% probable. Jack dropped the no pressure mark, fumbled the ground ball, chance gone, Jack card noted. It was a poor effort in the heat of battle. Good luck to him if he can get another chance.
Wow! You plucked out one moment and somehow in your mind that defines a player does it?

Have a look at the clanger column next time we play. You'll find some of our best players have 4 or more of these against their name.

Who can forget when Higgins dropped a simple chest mark 10 minutes into the last quarter in Round 11. We were 20 points up if I recall and Higgins was on his own 15 metres out and... he forget to mark the footy ...Plus he forgot to defend when they played on from the resultant behind

Obviously Snags was still thinking about how he would have celebrated after playing on and kicking the sealer. IF he'd marked it! :? :oops:

We lost the game with the Hawks kicking the last 5 goals.

There are thousands of similar incidents where players stuff up or fumble or drop their heads when marking. It happened to Jack Sinclair in the final.

As BM and others have outlined he unfortunately got injured a couple of times and it derailed his opportunities. The cut and infection to his knee was just as much the club's negligence as it was his own personal bad luck.

Jack was never going to replace Hill or Wood or Mich Owens, but I guarantee you Bytel could have easily replaced Crouch or Sebby or Gresham for a dozen games in 2023
You guys need to fix the hair triggers. I am ambivalent about Jack being cut. It was just a telling moment for him. I imagine it registered with the coaches. Conversely you may be spot on, it was an inconsequential aberration and otherwise Jack was largely very good and so harshly treated. But if you shine when the spotlight is on you do your chances no harm.

My conclusion was that he just wasn't good enough on some key point, so that was that.
I think Yorkey's has a point because some players are just one mistake from the cut, while others, can play and play because they are deemed to have the attributes. I was concerned about Pou being picked week in, week out when I thought his contribution didn't justify it. BUt I assume he has the chops and will be given every chance, everytime.

Of course, circumstances mean beggars can't be choosers. I think Caminiti played half of his games on account of Membrey being out.
I think Yorkey's nick name says it all. No real feel for the Aussie game and its players.

Well that's my view anyway.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

If your job is to get clearance with strength and agility under pressure and your clear and can't execute simple skills, it means you don't have that mental switch from effort to execution. It's not a deficiency of time, Bytels hands are quick and he can absorb pressure, it's a psychological thing.

He just wasn't effective on the spread, his kicks balloned or went over heads and was unreliable with disposal, similar to Ross in his earlier, high volume games and Ross is still better.

Hugo Garcia looks like the real deal and is working the attacking game out and those wheels. Good luck Jack.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 30 Nov 2023 10:34am
I think Yorkey's nick name says it all. No real feel for the Aussie game and its players.

Look at least you didn't call me racist so that's something. What do you think of the officials that cut players this year: compassionless uncaring foreigners?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 30 Nov 2023 1:13pm

Look at least you didn't call me racist so that's something. What do you think of the officials that cut players this year: compassionless uncaring foreigners?
Racism just doesn't come into it. No idea where you are going with your last sentence but obviously the filth selectors are more switched on than ours where Jack is concerned.

ps, Aussies aren't foreigners ffs. :roll: :roll:

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 30 Nov 2023 2:28pm

Racism just doesn't come into it. No idea where you are going with your last sentence but obviously the filth selectors are more switched on than ours where Jack is concerned.

Exactly.

FYI, Yorkeys Knob is a Northern beach suburb of Cairns.
I don't mind if you call me a knob but a Yorkshireman, really!
I wish JB all the best like the other JB, but they are not Saints players anymore.
And our selectors seem pretty switched on to me.
Might have thought Jack for all his talent was just surplus to requirements. Its an industry full of value judgements and risk taking.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 30 Nov 2023 2:38pm
saynta wrote: Thu 30 Nov 2023 2:28pm

Exactly.

FYI, Yorkeys Knob is a Northern beach suburb of Cairns.
I don't mind if you call me a knob but a Yorkshireman, really!
I wish JB all the best like the other JB, but they are not Saints players anymore.
And our selectors seem pretty switched on to me.
Might have thought Jack for all his talent was just surplus to requirements. Its an industry full of value judgements and risk taking.
Just as some banana benders are ignorant when it comes to aussie rules, I am ignorant about banana land. Never heard of Yorkey's knob and don't feel the poorer for it.

And yeah I have a thing about the poms. They used us as cannon fodder in two world wars than had nothing to do with us, refused to let our troops come home to defend us when the Japs threatened to overrun us then left us in the lurch again when they joined the common market.

My poor dear dead grandfather was wounded as a 17 year old in Turkey and again later in France. The best of the best were killed in those foreign lands and Australia took decades to recover.

But I must apologise for mistaking you for one of them.. truly sorry mate.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Now that Dan McStay is Dan McGone for 2024 with an ACL injury (happened today at training) Collingwood may well be trying to find a Caminiti type player to
play as a Key Forward in 2024. I wonder if there is another one out there.

That scenario would probably made it harder for Bytel to get a list spot at the Pies.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he could be a real handy player in the AFL if he gets a decent chance.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Fri 01 Dec 2023 3:57pm Now that Dan McStay is Dan McGone for 2024 with an ACL injury (happened today at training) Collingwood may well be trying to find a Caminiti type player to
play as a Key Forward in 2024. I wonder if there is another one out there.

That scenario would probably made it harder for Bytel to get a list spot at the Pies.
Preseason or mid season trades would be interesting.

Would trade Demattia for Caminiti.

SaintWiki
Club Player

Good luck for the future of all the players who have become excess of needs in the current tilt for a flag.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintWiki wrote: Sat 02 Dec 2023 8:24am Good luck for the future of all the players who have become excess of needs in the current tilt for a flag.
They've all been gotten n rid off.

35 of our players are ready, 10 or so are developing.
Currently, development is preferred over the restructure of the players who are ready, into a game plan they can't execute.

It will be the measure of the draft selections and trades that determine how many play and how many don't.

Then they will reassess again and try to improve the skill set of the collective to eliminate the impact of injuries, suspensions and mental break downs.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Looks like Collingwood have preferred a VFL player over Bytel.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1076431/col ... od-signing

spert
Saintsational Legend

From what I saw of Jack, he had the skills and could dominate at VFL level, but didn't have a big enough tank at senior level- good for a quarter or two then faded in the games I saw.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

VFL STAR Lachie Sullivan, former Essendon tall Josh Eyre and delisted St Kilda midfielder Jack Bytel have secured spots on Collingwood's rookie list after
impressive trials across the pre-season supplemental period (SSP).

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1076431/col ... od-signing

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Thanks, maybe I should have read the article properly!! I'm sure it didn't mention Bytel when I read it though.

King Max
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Thu 15 Feb 2024 4:56pm Thanks, maybe I should have read the article properly!! I'm sure it didn't mention Bytel when I read it though.
The article has “updated” written at the top. Looking at Twitter, the initial announcement only mentioned the VFL guy.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

I liked Bytel though admittedly I don't monitor energy levels and capacity to spread -- things RTB obvioulsy prioritises.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I suspect he'll serve Collingwood better than their offering did do for us, a.k.a. Nathan Freeman. I am also quite confident Jack would do infinitely better in Survivor-Australia than Naffen did.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Typical saints. Bytel not good enough to get a game or a fair go with us but gets signed by the premiership team.

I hope you star with them Jack and go on and have a good career which was denied to you at Moorabbin.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

The reason he didn't make it here was that he is a one position player as an in and under coal face midfielder.
It is a role we have no shortage of with Ross, Steele, Crouch and have just added another in Paddy Dow.
The Pies have most areas covered on their list but one area they are short, with the loss of Taylor Adams, is that midfield grunt player.

Our big weakness is players who can spread and create run Bytel did not help in that area at all meaning for us he was surplus to requirements.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Fri 16 Feb 2024 10:20am Typical saints. Bytel not good enough to get a game or a fair go with us but gets signed by the premiership team.

I hope you star with them Jack and go on and have a good career which was denied to you at Moorabbin.
How'd that work out for Luke Dunstan?

If he's good enough, he'll make it. To this point, he hasn't been good enough.

outside66
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Fri 16 Feb 2024 12:05pm
saynta wrote: Fri 16 Feb 2024 10:20am Typical saints. Bytel not good enough to get a game or a fair go with us but gets signed by the premiership team.

How'd that work out for Luke Dunstan?

If he's good enough, he'll make it. To this point, he hasn't been good enough.
Good point. Matty Parker says g'day as well.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I will be interested to see how he goes. We won't be able to judge this for a couple of years. Though he does seem to be injury prone.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!