The recent shift in age demographic

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The recent shift in age demographic

As of round one next year, at least half of our list will be aged 23 or younger. It's been awhile since it's been that way.

Currently, in the 24 to 26 age bracket we only have three players who came via the national draft. Clark, Battle, and Paton.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Re: The recent shift in age demographic

Creates competition. Everyone is going to push each other and fight for spots. I like this.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

There could be some weeks where we are fielding the youngest side in the AFL

Make no mistake. We have cut right back on experienced and senior players. Retirements and delistings from 2020-2023 along with guys traded out in this period means this is a proper rebuild.

There is no way we should be expecting to play finals next year. If we do, it will be absolutely fantastic but that shouldn’t be the expectation …or the priority

Extra money and staffing is required. In other words, the focus of The Strength through Loyalty Program should be on the long term development of young players imo

I think we need to be successful at VFL level (Sandy Zebs) before we expect to be a top 4 team with our senior side.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 22 Nov 2023 3:01pm As of round one next year, at least half of our list will be aged 23 or younger.
The most probable outcome when you have such a young list is that you will not be winning too many finals, even if you happen to scrape in ….as we did this year. That’s what history tell us

I’d like to see Ross Lyon and the selection committee having the courage to risk losses by continuing a policy of development of the youth.

If we are playing a few extra youngsters in the seniors and a few more experienced players in the magoos, I won’t be unhappy.

If Sandringham are winning games and the St Kilda seniors are losing games in 2024, that’s not such a bad thing.

The other positive if we have a strong VFL squad each week (with a good mix of senior players and we end up playing VFL finals) is that it builds a winning culture from the ground up

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 23 Nov 2023 2:08am
cwrcyn wrote: Wed 22 Nov 2023 3:01pm As of round one next year, at least half of our list will be aged 23 or younger.
The most probable outcome when you have such a young list is that you will not be winning too many finals, even if you happen to scrape in ….as we did this year. That’s what history tell us

I’d like to see Ross Lyon and the selection committee having the courage to risk losses by continuing a policy of development of the youth.

If we are playing a few extra youngsters in the seniors and a few more experienced players in the magoos, I won’t be unhappy.

If Sandringham are winning games and the St Kilda seniors are losing games in 2024, that’s not such a bad thing.

The other positive if we have a strong VFL squad each week (with a good mix of senior players and we end up playing VFL finals) is that it builds a winning culture from the ground up

I agree with this with one small caveat and I think it is what RTB does.

Reward the behaviours regardless of age, talent or contract status.

I.e. if Seb Ross is doing all the right things at training and on game day- he gets picked ahead of anyone younger than him who is not.

The beauty of the list profile is- even whilst doing the above by default you are going to have plenty of youth in the side and you are not only developing their skills but also their standards.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
older saint
SS Life Member

Really like what we have done this off season and the overall change in the demographic and clearing out of some stale players, however to me the greatest rubbish to come from fans mouths is the comment "Play the kids" .
Its the catch cry of all who support the teams at the bottom like there is some magic formula that by playing a whole lot of 18-22 year olds is a secret formula to future success. It provides nothing more than a built in excuse before you even start.
Players need to be picked on merit regardless of birth certificate- this should only come into it on line ball calls and team balance.
Melbourne, North last 2 years, GC ,Carlton all examples this century where they stacked sides with kids and only achieved success once they put senior players around those kids and in the mean time those kids got smashed and many had shortened careers because of it.

And the concept of sacrificing wins by playing kids - what message does that send to Senior players, players you are trying to recruit, supporters and sponsors. Sorry Jack Steele we expect you to give 100% effort but we aren't going to give you a chance to be successful ?

There is no reason IMO this team should not play finals next year and at the same time develop players such as Poo, Windy, Owens, NWM, King as well as those drafted this year. These players are good enough for best 22 they are picked, if they are not so be it. This worked in 2023, yes Poo got a couple games when he shouldnt have on form but there was no obvious person below pushing up to take this spot ( IMO Billings papers were stamped once his leg broke) We shouldn't hide away from driving success and expectations

Not trying to upset anyone just my thoughts.

saint6709
Club Player

At a bare minimum you would expect this will be good for Sandringham - the last few years we have carried so many injured middle tier,middle age players that it's been a joke - Sandy were needing to rely on players bringing their friends down to fill the gaps to field a team - hopefully next year we (Sandy and the saints for that matter) have a team full of keen fit young blokes of AFL list quality turning up to play

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Australia just won the World Cup. Youngest player was iglis the new keeper who is 28. Head is about to be thirty next month and every other player 30+

I know it’s a different sport but the message I get is have a winning mindset so Josh Hazelwood, at 32 and injury prone, is still deemed a wise choice. And the choice was validated.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Sanctorum
Club Player

I'm not sure you can draw parallels between Test cricket and AFL football in terms of youth v age Shane, one is a relatively gentle game, the other an extremely physical contest. However there is no question that in footy having too many young players will not win many games, it certainly requires a strong blend of highly skilled experienced mature age players with promising young talent.

In the last 3 years St Kilda has drastically overhauled the list, I suspect like rarely before, with the following changes:

Of the players on the St Kilda list in 2021, 21 players have either retired or been delisted:

Coffield, Carlisle, Gresham, Dunstan, Hannebery, Lonie, Geary, Billings, Roberton, Ryder, Long, Bytel, Frawley, Kent, McKernan, Highmore, McKenzie, Connolly, Clavarino, Joyce, Hunter, Alabakis

Coming in since then:

2022: Wanganeen Milera, Windhager, Owens, Campbell, plus recruited and since delisted: Adams, Lienert, Peris, Kyle

2023: Hayes, Stocker, Cordy, Phillipou, Van Es, Hotton, Keeler, McLennan, Caminiti.

2024: O'Connell, Henry, Dow, Wilson, Collard, Hastie, Garcia, Schoenmaker, Bonney

I expect this strategy was developed by the Board and senior management, initially under Brett Ratten and consolidated with Ross Lyon's reappointment as senior coach.

So the Saints now have a list that consists of 21 experienced players and 22 newcomers, of whom just 12 have played senior football.

That imho is quite a good balance and augurs well for future success.

I remain streadfast in my belief that St Kilda will consolidate its place in the top 6 next year because none of the changes to the playing personnel detract from the quality of the 2023 list, and natural progression of the 2022 and 2023 intake, combined with the likelihood that Max King will play many more games, Tim Membrey injury free and detrmined to regain top form.

It's really exciting, but we'll have to wait and see.....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It's been the right kind of list overhaul since 2021. We can already see that Windhager, Owens, Caminiti, Wanganeen-Milera, Stocker have given us something worthwhile, and I expect Hotton, Keeler, and McLennan improve a lot in 2024, with one or two of those three getting at least some senior exposure. Henry and Dow will come into the team. Bonner will be thereabouts, and Wilson might play some senior footy. From a depth perspective, we won't be relying on older guys who are just plodders who merely fill a hole. Instead, we will bring in talented youngsters to fill those holes when injuries force our hand.