Arie Schoenmaker

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: Arie Schoenmaker

SAINT-LEE wrote: Wed 22 Nov 2023 11:59am
ace wrote: Tue 21 Nov 2023 9:32pm Me suspects they did not intend to take 5 picks but when they realised that Schoenmaker was still on the board they pounced.

In German the "E" immediately after the "O" indicates there should be an umlaut on the O converting the sound to "ur" as in Danke Schoen, the Sch sound like "sh"
so in German sounds like Shurnmarker but usually anglicized as Showenmaker
I had a friend pronounced his name:

Sk-on-mocker. It was odd. He was a german immigrant, only here a few weeks when we first met. I wondered if it was his accent trying to say english? Or my ears?
Schoenmaker is also a common Dutch name, unless of course it's mentioned Arie has a German background. In Dutch it simply means 'shoe maker', with the 'sch' sound peculiar to Dutch speakers:

A bit of trivia: in WW II when Germany occupied Holland the Dutch resistance movement had sentries ask stangerss seeking to enter their lairs to pronounce the name of a seaside town, "Scheveningen", which Germans pronounced as 'Sk'.....

Harry Schoenmakers played 121 games for Hawthorn from 2009 to 2018, and he came from s Dutch family.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Saintmike65
Club Player

ace wrote: Tue 21 Nov 2023 9:23pm What did St Kilda give up to get hold of pick 62
We gave up a future 3rd to get Garcia…Arie fell into our lap, pretty sure we’d have passed but he was too tempting!!

Saints58
Club Player

Really pumped about getting shooy he is not only a big kick he is also a great mark and has endurance.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 22 Nov 2023 1:31pm
ace wrote: Tue 21 Nov 2023 9:32pm Me suspects they did not intend to take 5 picks but when they realised that Schoenmaker was still on the board they pounced.

In German the "E" immediately after the "O" indicates there should be an umlaut on the O converting the sound to "ur" as in Danke Schoen, the Sch sound like "sh"

Sk-on-mocker. It was odd. He was a german immigrant, only here a few weeks when we first met. I wondered if it was his accent trying to say english? Or my ears?
Schoenmaker is also a common Dutch name, unless of course it's mentioned Arie has a German background. In Dutch it simply means 'shoe maker', with the 'sch' sound peculiar to Dutch speakers:

A bit of trivia: in WW II when Germany occupied Holland the Dutch resistance movement had sentries ask stangerss seeking to enter their lairs to pronounce the name of a seaside town, "Scheveningen", which Germans pronounced as 'Sk'.....

Harry Schoenmakers played 121 games for Hawthorn from 2009 to 2018, and he came from s Dutch family.
He also was a booming kick.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 22 Nov 2023 2:41pm
Sanctorum wrote: Wed 22 Nov 2023 1:31pm

He also was a booming kick.
Harry or Ryan?

Schoenmaker in Latin is:
Schoen = cannon
Maker = maker

So it makes senses the cannon makers boot the ball a long way 😉

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

If he throws a crutch at a reporter, let's hope he is a better shot than Plugger.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Otiman wrote: Tue 21 Nov 2023 9:40pm
shrodes wrote: Tue 21 Nov 2023 9:32pm What’s the rumour here? All I can find is he bought alcohol for underage teammates which seems much ado about nothing.
That's all I could find, and his response was humbling enough to chalk it down to a teenager making a mistake. A second indiscretion becomes a problem.
He also had to face up to his indiscretion to the other 15 clubs that interviewed him. That is obviously a very difficult scenario. He owned his actions.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

as far as i'm aware it's a dutch name. the german equivalent is schumacher or schuhmacher. shoe maker.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Thu 23 Nov 2023 5:45pm
shrodes wrote: Tue 21 Nov 2023 9:32pm What’s the rumour here? All I can find is he bought alcohol for underage teammates which seems much ado about nothing.
That's all I could find, and his response was humbling enough to chalk it down to a teenager making a mistake. A second indiscretion becomes a problem.
He also had to face up to his indiscretion to the other 15 clubs that interviewed him. That is obviously a very difficult scenario. He owned his actions.
I agree, the reported issue was handled very well. The second rumored incident didn't seem too alarming for footballer behavior.

I back the Saints in to provide a good environment for the kid.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Don't be surprised if he plays forward . The flying Dutchman.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Thu 23 Nov 2023 7:10pm
tony74 wrote: Thu 23 Nov 2023 5:45pm
I agree, the reported issue was handled very well. The second rumored incident didn't seem too alarming for footballer behavior.

I back the Saints in to provide a good environment for the kid.
I do too, the club nowadays has a much better culture than in days gone by, I don't recall any serving St Kilda player in recent years who has committed an offence of note.

Schoenmaker is a really exciting prospect, his highlight reel shows him taking strong marks in defence and booting the ball to team mates in the centre.

Could well become a very good fullback one day...

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Thu 23 Nov 2023 7:10pm The second rumored incident didn't seem too alarming for footballer behavior.
So, hypothetically, it's OK for someone to bully a mentally disabled kid because they are a footballer?
I have no idea if the rumour is true, but to excuse that behaviour because the perpertator plays footy is ordinary.
Is it only footballers that get a free pass? Or is it any kind of "blokey" sport?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 4:11pm
Otiman wrote: Thu 23 Nov 2023 7:10pm The second rumored incident didn't seem too alarming for footballer behavior.
So, hypothetically, it's OK for someone to bully a mentally disabled kid because they are a footballer?
I have no idea if the rumour is true, but to excuse that behaviour because the perpertator plays footy is ordinary.
Is it only footballers that get a free pass? Or is it any kind of "blokey" sport?
I thought he was referring to buying the beers. My first was at a football club.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 7:21pm
I thought he was referring to buying the beers. My first was at a football club.
Didn't appear to be...
Otiman wrote: Thu 23 Nov 2023 7:10pmI agree, the reported issue was handled very well. The second rumored incident didn't seem too alarming for footballer behavior.
Looks to me like the sentiment was the first issue (alcohol) was handled well. I agree. A ten week ban seems overkill but needed to be taught a lesson on behaviour expectations at a professional environment.
The second rumoured incident is the one about the bullying. It's only talked about on Reddit, so I'm not even sure of the accuracy.
My issue was the excuse that it was OK because he's a footballer.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 8:11pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 7:21pm
Didn't appear to be...
Otiman wrote: Thu 23 Nov 2023 7:10pmI agree, the reported issue was handled very well. The second rumored incident didn't seem too alarming for footballer behavior.
Looks to me like the sentiment was the first issue (alcohol) was handled well. I agree. A ten week ban seems overkill but needed to be taught a lesson on behaviour expectations at a professional environment.
The second rumoured incident is the one about the bullying. It's only talked about on Reddit, so I'm not even sure of the accuracy.
My issue was the excuse that it was OK because he's a footballer.
Ok. Are we talking about elite young men at school, doing heaps of extras, making the grades, headed for Uni and the AFL?

Or Bob the gun plumber who won the best and fairest at a VFL club.

Is picking on disabled kids really what you think.these kids get up to in their spare time?

Tall poppy syndrome maybe We can pick a multitude of narratives.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 8:20pm Ok. Are we talking about elite young men at school, doing heaps of extras, making the grades, headed for Uni and the AFL?

Is picking on disabled kids really what you think.these kids get up to in their spare time?

I have no idea if the rumour is true.
I have the issue that the behaviour is condoned or laughed off becuase it was perpertrated by a footballer.
I'm not trying to knock the kid at all. My concern was the poster thinks that behaviour is OK. I'd hoped that we had moved past that kind of attitude.

On Arie, he's clearly worked hard since the 10 week ban and I hope our gamble pays off because he clearly has talent.
If a mistake is made, it should be owned and learned from. Remember that Jack Steven was suspended for an alcohol related incident on a training camp. He took the punishment and won 4 B&Fs.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 8:26pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 24 Nov 2023 8:20pm Ok. Are we talking about elite young men at school, doing heaps of extras, making the grades, headed for Uni and the AFL?

I have no idea if the rumour is true.
I have the issue that the behaviour is condoned or laughed off becuase it was perpertrated by a footballer.
I'm not trying to knock the kid at all. My concern was the poster thinks that behaviour is OK. I'd hoped that we had moved past that kind of attitude.

On Arie, he's clearly worked hard since the 10 week ban and I hope our gamble pays off because he clearly has talent.
If a mistake is made, it should be owned and learned from. Remember that Jack Steven was suspended for an alcohol related incident on a training camp. He took the punishment and won 4 B&Fs.
He handled one really well and brushed the other one off, like most footballers would. Character assassination, and in the modern world which kids aren't on a spectrum rectum.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The more we assume, the worse it gets. Welcome Arie. Just play 200 games son. No one will care about Reddit then.

Rubyjo
Club Player

It's a clean slate and a new beginning..so you Nancy virtue signalling types go away.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Not worth discussing scuttlebutt, no idea whether true or what the details are, so let's drop it for now.

He's welcome to the club and hope he really grasps his opportunity

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Yeah, I looked as hard as I could for truth, info,evidence of the alledged sustained bullying of a disabled person.
Most Big Footy posts have been deleted.

From reading insta, big footy, facebook and reddit I believe:

Will had several years of schooling with another young man with a mild austism diagnosis. They had a history of both being friends & being arses towards one another.

Claims that at times Will went to far, name calling, baiting, sharing videos on snapchat of person raging, etc exist.

Claims the person was tormented, quit school, Will was given a soft expel ( asked to leave) all exist.

But in between it all theres no doubt some truth but no where has any who has 1st hand witnessed any of this made a comment. Every comment from using wayback machine and ai phantom search provides all 2nd hand or more distant comments pretty equally blaming each party.

Can I imagine Will as an immature kid being a little $hit and egging on, bullying another kid?
Yep

Does it mean he purposed to bully a disabled person...highly doubtful, just no evidence at all. But enough exists to suggest he was a turd.

However, he has not been at that school in that community for 2 yrs. So I hope as he has matured he has seen how his friendship turned sour was less than what he wants to be as a man going forward.

Best of luck mate! Enjoy the journey to adulthood.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

who the fk is Will?!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

If he’s any good, this kid could have some currency in a few years with new team in his home state. They’ll have plenty of early draft picks to throw our way if that is the case.

Winning.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 25 Nov 2023 3:33pm Yeah, I looked as hard as I could for truth, info,evidence of the alledged sustained bullying of a disabled person.

Will had several years of schooling with another young man with a mild austism diagnosis. They had a history of both being friends & being arses towards one another.

Claims that at times Will went to far, name calling, baiting, sharing videos on snapchat of person raging, etc exist.

Claims the person was tormented, quit school, Will was given a soft expel ( asked to leave) all exist.

But in between it all theres no doubt some truth but no where has any who has 1st hand witnessed any of this made a comment. Every comment from using wayback machine and ai phantom search provides all 2nd hand or more distant comments pretty equally blaming each party.

Can I imagine Will as an immature kid being a little $hit and egging on, bullying another kid?
Yep

Does it mean he purposed to bully a disabled person...highly doubtful, just no evidence at all. But enough exists to suggest he was a turd.

However, he has not been at that school in that community for 2 yrs. So I hope as he has matured he has seen how his friendship turned sour was less than what he wants to be as a man going forward.

Who actually gives a f***....not I.

Give the kid a break.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 26 Nov 2023 10:36am
SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 25 Nov 2023 3:33pm Yeah, I looked as hard as I could for truth, info,evidence of the alledged sustained bullying of a disabled person.

Arie had several years of schooling with another young man with a mild austism diagnosis. They had a history of both being friends & being arses towards one another.

Claims that at times Arie went to far, name calling, baiting, sharing videos on snapchat of person raging, etc exist.

Claims the person was tormented, quit school, Arie was given a soft expel ( asked to leave) all exist.

Can I imagine Arie as an immature kid being a little $hit and egging on, bullying another kid?
Yep

Who actually gives a f***....not I.

Give the kid a break.
Well I guess it doesn't matter too much...wait, isn't it a crime to bully, including the multiple accusations he had of cyber bullying which carry strong custodial sentences? Could this be important to discuss on a....I don't know...footy forum for discussing footy players, teams, etc????,

Has it been brushed under the rug to further career, was $$$ involved to make the school look away ( as was accused by 4 people)? Is any of it true?

Add to this the accussation it was a disabled youth being bullied...and you dont give a feck if it was true or not...

Geez, you're a swell human...just look away and "give HIM a break".

People on Reddit give their own names, stating they were classmates & that he acted at least somewhat of bully & at best a twat.

But...as I said its also important to note there's no legal info, lawsuits, school records that are searchable, etc to confirm any of it.

6 further people claim 1st hand viewing of a snapchat Will sent on a school trip of him physically pushing the person down a hill and then laughing at this person as he cried. Some state Arie thought he was "fake crying". Can we view this video? No. It was alledgedly on snapchat (designed to disappear once viewed)

If that doesn't matter, which it clearly doesn't for the club or you...fantastic.

If he did this in any degree and would address publically his past behaviour & apologise it'd be monumental...we could abhor his mistakes, applaud his honesty and hope for his future...but you know the show...say nothing...until you're undeniably caught then crack a tear on camera.

OR if its not accurate...publically deny it all and say its completely untrue & refute any and all accounts of bullying.

Bullying a disabled person most often points to significant mental health issues from the abuser. That will scare off clubs like crazy. If you'll push around a disabled person...what won't you do?

The uncertainty of this being true or not plus the factual misstep of buying alcohol for minors likely turned clubs right off.

Im 100% glad he has an opportunity to show he's changing, growing, maturing. As I've said, everyone deserves not a 2nd chance, but bucket loads of chances to right wrongs...couple a new attitude with his talent and he can prove all the other clubs that walked away wrong.

I'm just hoping we dont hear a news report of a public accussation down the road so we can endure another St Shart Storm.

P.s. I am/was giving him the benefit of the doubt..if you can read?