Strength & Loyalty Program thoughts?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Strength & Loyalty Program thoughts?

I see the club is reaching out again with the launch of this program to boost funds to put directly into the football program.

My initial reaction I must say as a long term member of over 40 years was "Again?". Granted details haven't yet been provided to what the levels of donation will provide by the way of benefits so in a way i will hold my judgement somewhat.

It got me thinking though all members already have so much skin in the game. 40 years + I hate to add up what I have actually spent/given but year after year we do it with no more thought than we would to buying a $5 coffee, but for something which can be 100 + more times the investment. I want to see those at the coal face have skin in the game also.

The 2022 Financials shows wages of around $29m. If each employee/player/coach/executive donated 1% of their wage to this fund that represents $290,000. Not a bad start to a campaign I would think. What would this provide:
- Skin in the game
- Great statement to members and I actually think more would donate if they were aware of this
- Great PR and morale and shows a financial commitment.

Benefits for them to do it:
- A premiership provides millions to the club which obviously in part flows to the player
- Premiership players also make good coin off memorabilia both now and moving forward .
- For staff a premiership win could see them receive a bonus equivalent to what they have put in plus

Especially for a club with 1 flag IF / WHEN there is a second those guys will be held in the same stature as those from 66.

Do I think it will happen - not a chance. PA probably wouldn't allow it to start with, but gee it would be a huge statement and probably see then make much more on this campaign than they otherwise would.

The concern is there is only so many times you can go to the well before the well is dry.

Thoughts

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Re: Strength & Loyalty Program thoughts?

Would love some detail on coterie programs etc.

Went looking last night and couldn't find much.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I would love to see the club produce a supporters/sponsors name collage with everyones names who donated more than a certain sum added to the board. I remember reading West Ham did something similar with pavers layed with their financial supporters names engraved in them. Something that wouldn't cost the club a lot but would give something back in recognition to the supporting donors.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Are they looking to build up their cash reserves to fund huge payouts to Rod Owen and others with shared experience ?
The bulldogs are facing a $6 million payout for historic abuse to players.
We've all heard of what happened to Rod and others . The fact that Finnis apologised a couple of years ago and offered on going support , does make me wonder that in light of last week's court decision will any / all of them suddenly be wanting a big payout !

In red white and black from 73
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

For me, it’s hard to bother with any of it TBH.

Every few years the club launches this program that promises something to members that sign up then forever.

Remember the foundation membership?
Once you’re a foundation member you get a guaranteed GF ticket for life and the recognition of being in that exclusive club. That lasted 5 years.
Programs always change with the admin

older saint
SS Life Member

mr six o'clock wrote: Thu 16 Nov 2023 11:25am Are they looking to build up their cash reserves to fund huge payouts to Rod Owen and others with shared experience ?
The bulldogs are facing a $6 million payout for historic abuse to players.
We've all heard of what happened to Rod and others . The fact that Finnis apologised a couple of years ago and offered on going support , does make me wonder that in light of last week's court decision will any / all of them suddenly be wanting a big payout !
Key legal point with this was that WB were made aware of this at the time and did nothing, so for StkIlda to face a similar position they would need to show StKilda knew what was going on and did nothing.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

f*** the Dullbogs. I don't care whether that club is brought to their knees.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I doubt i'll be giving any extra, i've been a member for over 40 consecutive years and i've bought raffle tickets most years and what has the club given me in return.

Failure.

I'm not giving anymore than i normally do, especially now that i've retired from the workforce, however, i do want the club to show me a flag before i pop my clogs, if they can ever stumble onto the
magic formula for premiership success.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Thu 16 Nov 2023 8:34pm I doubt i'll be giving any extra, i've been a member for over 40 consecutive years and i've bought raffle tickets most years and what has the club given me in return.

Failure.

I'm not giving anymore than i normally do, especially now that i've retired from the workforce, however, i do want the club to show me a flag before i pop my clogs, if they can ever stumble onto the
magic formula for premiership success.
Yep
Haven't been a member as long but on a fixed income with the cost of living through the effing roof , it's almost time to sell a kidney ! Last power bill was $190 more than the same time last year .
The players will have be be good little boys and girls over summer and not get caught blowing their moolah on illicit substances whilst the club is going cap in hand asking members for donations.

In red white and black from 73
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

It's like the Sunday service collection plate. The collector is infinitely wealthier than those asked to give but, you know, one more sacrifice might be the one that gets you through the pearly gates ( premiership).But I am not sure I believe that unprovable self serving line, or that a donation this year is going to lead to a premiership. If that's how it works the large membership clubs have far more worshippers so their gods must be greater and ours has been AWOL since 66.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Another initiative that is so indicative of a poor bottom feeding club culture. At what point do we get some self respect.

I mean good on the kids that work at the front desk for putting some ideas forward but at what point does someone grab the admin staff and shuffle them into the board room and show them a power point presentation of the investment and property portfolio's of the rich clubs to jolt them into reality.

Driving business and revenue is the job of Basset and the boards...is Bassett asleep at the wheel again?

He's got one job....

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 16 Nov 2023 10:25pm Another initiative that is so indicative of a poor bottom feeding club culture. At what point do we get some self respect.

I mean good on the kids that work at the front desk for putting some ideas forward but at what point does someone grab the admin staff and shuffle them into the board room and show them a power point presentation of the investment and property portfolio's of the rich clubs to jolt them into reality.

Driving business and revenue is the job of Basset and the boards...is Bassett asleep at the wheel again?

He's got one job....

Not an unusual initiative, we certainly aren't Pat Malone on this one.

I'd just like to see us better target/put together packages for our higher disposal income members. Rather than looking to get an extra few dollars out of everyone.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Fri 17 Nov 2023 9:00am
Vortex wrote: Thu 16 Nov 2023 10:25pm Another initiative that is so indicative of a poor bottom feeding club culture. At what point do we get some self respect.

He's got one job....

I'd just like to see us better target/put together packages for our higher disposal income members. Rather than looking to get an extra few dollars out of everyone.
I'd like to see us break our assisted club agreement with the AFL and develop an independent business model to gain access to cash and resources that allows us to become a sustainable top 4 club. You can't join the arms race the big boys compete in unless you have their cash and resources.

Continuing to pass the hat around as a fund raising measure is only going to keep us in a perpetual state of debt repair.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 17 Nov 2023 10:02pm

He's got one job....

I'd like to see us break our assisted club agreement with the AFL and develop an independent business model to gain access to cash and resources that allows us to become a sustainable top 4 club. You can't join the arms race the big boys compete in unless you have their cash and resources.

Continuing to pass the hat around as a fund raising measure is only going to keep us in a perpetual state of debt repair.
Perhaps old Director Matthews could come down with his Brisbane director mates and tell us how Brisbane has the AFL's biggest club debt, gets more money that we do and just played in the last few finals series and has Brisbane to itself?

3 Victorian Clubs don't get more than the minimum handout. Thats $7m less than us. Our membership revenue is about $8.5m.

Collingwood and Richmond double our membership revenue. Hawthorn sold their pokies.

Our assets have tripled since McLachlan cut our funding by $6m and lent us the money to operate through Covid. Our debt was $14m. Nine months ago it was recorded as $6.1m. Our membership has increased year after year and as a result, the revenue is increasing in turn.

Ross the boss is back, Harvey Hayes and Goddard, back.

I think I read somewhere once that you or one of your other names don't have a membership?

Do you come here just for the education?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I would also be interested to know if vortex is a St Kilda club member

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Nailed it again CQ

But what’s the old adage ? You can’t put brains into monuments

You might be wasting your time 😉

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 18 Nov 2023 3:41pm

He's got one job....

Perhaps old Director Matthews could come down with his Brisbane director mates and tell us how Brisbane has the AFL's biggest club debt, gets more money that we do and just played in the last few finals series and has Brisbane to itself?

3 Victorian Clubs don't get more than the minimum handout. Thats $7m less than us. Our membership revenue is about $8.5m.

Collingwood and Richmond double our membership revenue. Hawthorn sold their pokies.

Our assets have tripled since McLachlan cut our funding by $6m and lent us the money to operate through Covid. Our debt was $14m. Nine months ago it was recorded as $6.1m. Our membership has increased year after year and as a result, the revenue is increasing in turn.

I think I read somewhere once that you or one of your other names don't have a membership?

Careful Bennny Boy your head doesn't explode, but yeah you got me good...walk tall from this point forward.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 18 Nov 2023 8:41pm

He's got one job....

Careful Bennny Boy your head doesn't explode, but yeah you got me good...walk tall from this point forward.
Well put ya cash where ya gash is Tex. Get on board brother. Yours might just be the donation that tips the $uture in our favour.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 18 Nov 2023 9:33pm

He's got one job....

Well put ya cash where ya gash is Tex. Get on board brother. Yours might just be the donation that tips the $uture in our favour.
How much cash are we talking big spender if I need to compete with your rivers of gold, can't we just keep engaging in a slonk swinging peeing biatch scrap to determine our alpha credentials?

Maybe if you give me a figure I'll see if my pension fund can cover it and raise it by one dollar to be the winner...hit me?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Nov 2023 8:35am

He's got one job....

How much cash are we talking big spender if I need to compete with your rivers of gold, can't we just keep engaging in a slonk swinging peeing biatch scrap to determine our alpha credentials?

Maybe if you give me a figure I'll see if my pension fund can cover it and raise it by one dollar to be the winner...hit me?
Like the 10 grand you promised to put on the bar. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

He's got one job....

Just a membership will do.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 19 Nov 2023 10:22am

He's got one job....

Just a membership will do.
Perhaps next time we play Port in Cairns.....hehehe.....we could hang out.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 19 Nov 2023 10:24am
Totally Ben, it's too bad you didn't reach out last time we played at Cazaly's, maybe I could have introduced you to the influential members of Advance Cairns that lobbied to have the game held in Cairns and direct $1 million into the club coffers, would have also been a good idea to chat about how to get some more traffic directed towards that truck stop of yours.

My question is, do you think one membership is doing enough?, at least Saynta brags at any opportunity about how he buys memberships for every level of his clan, even right down to the great, great grandchildren and their pet budgies...that's a real supporter, I feel you are falling short by his lofty standards.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Nov 2023 1:37pm
Totally Ben, it's too bad you didn't reach out last time we played at Cazaly's, maybe I could have introduced you to the influential members of Advance Cairns that lobbied to have the game held in Cairns and direct $1 million into the club coffers, would have also been a good idea to chat about how to get some more traffic directed towards that truck stop of yours.

My question is, do you think one membership is doing enough?, at least Saynta brags at any opportunity about how he buys memberships for every level of his clan, even right down to the great, great grandchildren and their pet budgies...that's a real supporter, I feel you are falling short by his lofty standards.
Geez , your feeble attempts to denigrate a fellow poster are f****** pathetic.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Nov 2023 1:37pm

I think 1 membership will be enough for you.

I did contact you, you recommended your mates Cruiser for a fresh seafood meal. No talk of Advance Cairns unfortunately.

You Intel is a little off too mate. I don't own any truck stops.