Under the pump....Ben King

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Under the pump....Ben King

From afl.com.au

UNDER THE PUMP

King had three tackles against Adelaide and two against Geelong.

In his 18 other games, he recorded four tackles total.

He is harshly judged because of his pay packet and he battled some knee soreness coming off an ACL tear.

But, for comparison, of all key forwards Mitch Owens had 87 tackles, Aaron Naughton 59, Jack Darling 51 and Anthony Caminiti 50, while brother Max and Hawthorn’s Fergus Greene were the next worst, both with 10 tackles from 11 games.

So when King isn’t clunking marks — and he can have rare days where he drops everything in sight — can he be a more physical, involved player who is a leader of the Suns forward line?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Under the pump....Ben King

saynta wrote: Sat 04 Nov 2023 11:16am From afl.com.au

UNDER THE PUMP

King had three tackles against Adelaide and two against Geelong.

In his 18 other games, he recorded four tackles total.

He is harshly judged because of his pay packet and he battled some knee soreness coming off an ACL tear.

But, for comparison, of all key forwards Mitch Owens had 87 tackles, Aaron Naughton 59, Jack Darling 51 and Anthony Caminiti 50, while brother Max and Hawthorn’s Fergus Greene were the next worst, both with 10 tackles from 11 games.

So when King isn’t clunking marks — and he can have rare days where he drops everything in sight — can he be a more physical, involved player who is a leader of the Suns forward line?
Ditto Max re tackles and being more physical and being a leader in the forward line...attitude is everything. Big year for Max, needs to kick 60+ in 2024 and create scores for the players around him.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

I notice Max King doesn’t chase down. Needs to lift that element of his game. Think, if you tackle someone in your Fwd 50 and get a holding the ball you get a chance at goal. Coming out of defence is where most teams get tunnel vision and cause high turnover. It’s stupid not to apply pressure and tackle.

Good to Mitchy Owens and Caminiti doing the work though.

King Max
Club Player

You buried the headline.
But, for comparison, of all key forwards Mitch Owens had 87 tackles,

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

IMO both Kings are currently being paid shedloads for Potential, It's time for this to change.
2024 is the year that we need our king to become a consistent 22+ A game player.
Anything less and you'd have to wonder if he's ever going to reach his potential.

In red white and black from 73
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

My view is the Kings and the McKays are over-rated, paid overs, however, because there is always a dearth of players to play in those Key positions, in order to keep them, or in order to
poach them, clubs have to pay overs.

I hope these players in particular up their ante and start providing consistent bang for buck.
Just a small ask.
That's not to say they never produce because they do but they are pendulums with very big swings.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Sat 04 Nov 2023 10:43pm My view is the Kings and the McKays are over-rated, paid overs, however, because there is always a dearth of players to play in those Key positions, in order to keep them, or in order to

I hope these players in particular up their ante and start providing consistent bang for buck.
Just a small ask.
That's not to say they never produce because they do but they are pendulums with very big swings.
Our man is the real deal. Has to put up with fierce double/triple teaming, unfair tactics and crap delivery evet time he plays. Still kicks multiple goals almost without you realising how many. Had a busted shoulder this year too, if you recall. A champ.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 05 Nov 2023 12:13am
bobmurray wrote: Sat 04 Nov 2023 10:43pm My view is the Kings and the McKays are over-rated, paid overs, however, because there is always a dearth of players to play in those Key positions, in order to keep them, or in order to

Just a small ask.
Our man is the real deal. Has to put up with fierce double/triple teaming, unfair tactics and crap delivery evet time he plays. Still kicks multiple goals almost without you realising how many. Had a busted shoulder this year too, if you recall. A champ.
Dunno if I’m rationalising…

It seems that Max has spent 80% of his battery just to get his hands to the contest, including rough-housing those scragging him.

Therefore, it doesn’t seem so shocking that his tackling and second effort stats seem weak.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Just a small ask.
Fair enough, people are allowed to believe whatever they want, Walt relied on that when he created fantasy land.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Big guys take time :wink:

He needs a huge pre-season in the gym to put on some bulk and improve his strength

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I think it shows the value of Caminiti more than anything.

If he (Caminiti) can start kicking bags of 4 or 5, he will be better than King.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

I doubt the club rates Max King on tackles per game as long as he is competing fearlessly in the air and bring the ball to ground if he doesn’t catch it.

I don’t think RTB would be happy if his key forward is outmarked and didn’t apply pressure on the way out.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Sun 05 Nov 2023 12:40am

Just a small ask.
Fair enough, people are allowed to believe whatever they want, Walt relied on that when he created fantasy land.
Made Walt rich, but. He wasn't deterred by gratuitous snideness, Bob.
And maybe don't dismiss fantasy, it can be quite a good coping mechanism and sometimes fun; plus more and more of what was once considered fantasy comes to pass. Not Marvel superheros of course, but I fantasise that soon we will have a forward area enforcer or alternate big target to stop the wholesale scragging of Max which even 4 umpires apparently consider within the rules as applied to big men.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 05 Nov 2023 7:53am I think it shows the value of Caminiti more than anything.

Caminiti needs Max's skills with the ball, and Max needs a bit more Caminiti aggression in the contest instead of complaining when he doesn't get the ball on a platter.

St Plugger
Club Player

The real "bag" man in the future forward line up is the "Titanic" Sharman!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 05 Nov 2023 5:00am Big guys take time :wink:
Yep and he's used every bit of the runway for his takeoff, he is now entering his prime age and game phase for a player that is meant to be our franchise player.

Needs to kick 60+ in 2024 and announce his credentials to meet that expectation.

Sanctorum
Club Player

My good mate Silvio keeps assuring doubtful me that Max King has been tracking Charlie Curnow's career so far in terms of number of goals scored. The latter didn't hit his straps until he was 25 two seasons ago when he kicked 64.42, this year at age 26 he kicked 81.44 from 26 games.....

If Silvio's right then Max should be on target for a similar number next year.

There is of course a massive difference between the King twins and Charlie Curnow, which is why I remain sceptical, because Charlie has learnt to position and lead well, chases the ball and attacks it with ferocity, all aspects of the key forward role that we have yet to see from the Kings who, for reasons best known to themselves, have a somewhat arrogant 'born to rule', 'deliver the ball to me on a plate or I'm going to sulk' manner about the way they play.

I sincerely hope and pray Max proves me wrong!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 05 Nov 2023 3:07pm
Yep and he's used every bit of the runway for his takeoff, he is now entering his prime age and game phase for a player that is meant to be our franchise player.

Needs to kick 60+ in 2024 and announce his credentials to meet that expectation.
So if he takes off on a runway to announce his credentials to meet sample sizes and expectations and nose dives of the tarmac do we do a refit, maintenance overhaul or simply trade him out ?
Maybe we could franchise him ?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Averaged 2.8 goals a game in 2023, which would be 64 in an uninterrupted season, which would have been 4th in the Coleman this season.

Also haven’t seen you mention Sharman’s name since the Elimination Final Sectet_Vortex, funny that, as you’re such a good judge of players 😁

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 05 Nov 2023 6:02pm

So if he takes off on a runway to announce his credentials to meet sample sizes and expectations and nose dives of the tarmac do we do a refit, maintenance overhaul or simply trade him out ?
you seem confused Firey, maybe get to bed early and start again in the morning, don't forget to plug-in your mobility scooter before beddy byes though.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 05 Nov 2023 7:53am I think it shows the value of Caminiti more than anything.

Really?

I thought Caminiti was a bit of a disaster zone TBH. Running into teammates, spoiling teammates, messing up an otherwise good forward entries …just clumsy. Not a conscious effort to be selfish etc., just the radar set was not in the ON position and a lack of awareness.

On the other hand, Max does seem to know the how and why of what is going on and is trying to get set up nicely. Just that he can’t execute sometimes and looks like he gets the sulks a bit, which I think is just his physical statue and his gait rather than a conscious thing.

Max kicked 50 odd in 2022, and I think Ben might have hit 60? the previous year. Seem to go alright.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 05 Nov 2023 7:58pm
The Fireman wrote: Sun 05 Nov 2023 6:02pm

you seem confused Firey, maybe get to bed early and start again in the morning, don't forget to plug-in your mobility scooter before beddy byes though.
Fair enough but does his game phase allow for a successful takeoff if he is franchised .

Your chatbot is smoking 😊

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 05 Nov 2023 7:53am

Well you probably can that about any player.

If he (INSERT NAME) can start kicking bags of 4 or 5, he will be better than King.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

While Max and Ben should both probably land some more tackles, I think that in the main key forwards who are your key targets are not going to land high tackle counts.

Often the defenders on them will be seeking to take them out as they tray and mark. So harder for them to then chase players.

There is also not much point comparing them to a contested ball player like Owens, who is a lot more than just a marking target.

Max when not taken out has proven to be pretty nimble at crumbing the ball.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintWiki
Club Player

When Max beefs up some more he'll be able bully his opponents out of the way - he's had bad luck with injuries during his off seasons which hasn't helped. He could concentrate on tackling more but surely it's much easier for him to get pinged by the umps for neck and head infringements, but I would have thought his key job is leading out of the goal square, competing with multiple opposition players and getting a few marks up the ground a bit.