HS article 3/11 The List Manager - StK

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Re: HS article 3/11 The List Manager - StK

B.M wrote: Fri 03 Nov 2023 8:04am Since when has John Ralph become an ‘expert’?

Gone are the days when columnists reported news and reporters reported!

Let experts write opinion pieces

Guys like him and Barrett think they are in the AFL and their opinion matters!

Most of that is outside perception crap and has no insight. Could have be Len written by most posters on this site.
Yes those two are AFL lackeys.
If they ever wrote articles critical of head office they'd quickly find themselves as independent reporters.

In red white and black from 73
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Saintmike65 wrote: Fri 03 Nov 2023 1:57pm Surprised Ralph made no mention of Windhager when promoting our young potential stars.
I’m hoping he’ll get more run with roles next season.
Agree.
I was surprised Windhager didn’t get used in run with roles after shutting down some of the best in his debut season. Perhaps run with roles not needed in every game but would like to see him deployed against star studded midfielders

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Sat 04 Nov 2023 7:45am I think he's far too inclined to leave Lyon's impact out of the equation. I'm not a total Lyon groupie like Teffers, but I recognise what he can do.

If we look at Lyon's coaching record: the first season is a bit of a struggle as the players get used to his style, and the team only goes reasonably well (our 2023 performance was better than he managed at the Saints in 2007 or Freo in 2012), The second season delivers a much better performance that takes a team to the PF (or in Freo's case, a GF). Then the high level of performance becomes even more consistent for the next two seasons (in terms of where teams finish in the regular season: finals are a slightly different matter). Then, in season 5, performance levels begin to fall away seemingly due to most players (other than freaks like Riewoldt and Hill) being unable to sustain the high intensity play that Lyon demands from them.

I known most media experts and possibly most Saints supporters would tell me I'm dreaming, but 'm expecting our performances to take a similar trajectory over the next few years. Getting teams with a bunch of ordinary players and a sprinkling of stars deep into finals series is what Lyon does. He's extremely good at it. He's an incredible force during the regular season: not so much in finals, where his inflexibility has been a continuing problem for him (as we saw again againt GWS with his continued use of Philippou - who should have been sub IMO - and his failure to put Cody forward and bring Howard into the backline, which might just about have won us the game). But he is a genuine super coach, and idiots like Ralph shouldn't write him off.  
I am a Lyon groupie, but even parking that to one side, I think the reason we fell away so badly after 2012 was because we no longer had leadership driving standards. Now that we have Goddard, Hayes and Rob Harvey in the coaching group, and Corey Enright from the Cats, players have to look them in the eye if they fail to live up to expectations.

And that doesn't just mean at quarter time or half time in the huddle, but when reviewing games on Tuesday morning and in the main training session for the week on Thursdays.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

We fell away because Pelchen butchered the list

And Elshaug stuffed up the DPs

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

markp wrote: Fri 03 Nov 2023 2:37pm That giants' game had been dropped down my St Kilda bad memory hole.

Nas and Sharman were bright points on a dark day.

Needless to say, players who can turn up for finals are gold.
Battle was more than handy in his 100th as well I thought.

In any case, I get that 'bad memory hole' thing but to be fair .. I hope in time that our players that ran out that day get the kudos for at least playing. Given what transpired over the early hours of the game day morning with Tim and the confusion and alarm it caused his teammates - it's a bit of a miracle we didn't get wiped off the G. It's not too far away from the Phil Walsh situation. Given the nature of Tim's circumstances - not nearly enough has able to be mentioned about that day and how it transpired for the remaining players from 2pm onwards. Ross and his coaches did an amazing job of getting them to the line.

I know of one player in particular who reckons he played the game in a complete haze and has barely any recollection of the game itself.

Go you red, black & white warriors
SaintWiki
Club Player

I want what the club wants and I don't see any value into arguing any other position at this time. Although those with plenty of time on their hands are welcome to have their two-bob's worth ...