Geoff Walsh

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Geoff Walsh

Something fishy going on. Interesting he used personal reasons to resign from the Saints but now is well enough to join the AFL. I don't buy his reasons.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1059883/vet ... department

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Geoff Walsh

magnifisaint wrote: Thu 02 Nov 2023 5:23pm Something fishy going on. Interesting he used personal reasons to resign from the Saints but now is well enough to join the AFL. I don't buy his reasons.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1059883/vet ... department
He stated family reasons...
It's now 10 months later, it is a very real possibility that those family issues have either resolved or are no longer an issue.
There are a myriad of reasons that could be the cause. None of which are anyone's business other than Geoff and his family.
I'm prepared to take that at face value and not look for an anti-St Kilda angle.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm not into conspiracy theories but based on previous stories it sounds too convenient.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Cushy number, far easier than a managerial role at a club. Will be like shelling peas for Geoff.
Working for the AFL you can't go wrong unless you KO someone on a footy field and its videoed or sleep with staff, or express sympathy for Palestinians. Even then you land on your feet.
Hopefully he can be Our Man in Marvel, panama hat and all. Probably only has to come to the office Friday's for a lunch and drop off his tips.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

couldn't work with Ross is what I heard

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 02 Nov 2023 7:32pm couldn't work with Ross is what I heard
Poor rumour

saint4life
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Hilariously inaccurate

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

"The part-time role"

There is your answer.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
66Iwasthere
Club Player

New role more suited to his semi retirement lifestyle. Can use his biggest assets, experience and knowledge, without the day to day pressures of a very results driven and demanding environment.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Fri 03 Nov 2023 4:47am "The part-time role"

There is your answer.
Yep, Ross has a firm belief the 4 pillars must be full timers and submit themselves to the cause. Walsh was an appointment prior to Ross coming onboard.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Geoff who ?

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Sanctorum
Club Player

Nothing to see here, fact is that Geoff Walsh is one of the highest regarded AFL officials in the business. He did what he was required to do in the massive overhaul of St Kilda football operations last October which resulted in the termination of Brett Ratten and return of Ross Lyon to the love of his life....

His role at AFL House is part-time so it's far less demanding or stressful than bei gg involved with a club.

The only thought I had when I heard the news is to wonder how he'll get along with his new boss Laura Kane as he's a very driven individual and she's a relatuve new chum as the supremo of AFL's football operations.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 03 Nov 2023 1:05pm Nothing to see here, fact is that Geoff Walsh is one of the highest regarded AFL officials in the business. He did what he was required to do in the massive overhaul of St Kilda football operations last October which resulted in the termination of Brett Ratten and return of Ross Lyon to the love of his life....

His role at AFL House is part-time so it's far less demanding or stressful than bei gg involved with a club.

The only thought I had when I heard the news is to wonder how he'll get along with his new boss Laura Kane as he's a very driven individual and she's a relatuve new chum as the supremo of AFL's football operations.
Not so sure about that, “family reasons” was the the reason given for departing our club in a very swift manner.

Less than 12 months later, takes on another role higher up the chain almost directly after the club announced Misson was taking over his old role on a permanent basis.

Lyon moved him on.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

What project will he be working on at HQ?

More handouts and charity for Norf?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Fri 03 Nov 2023 4:05pm
Sanctorum wrote: Fri 03 Nov 2023 1:05pm Nothing to see here, fact is that Geoff Walsh is one of the highest regarded AFL officials in the business. He did what he was required to do in the massive overhaul of St Kilda football operations last October which resulted in the termination of Brett Ratten and return of Ross Lyon to the love of his life....

Not so sure about that, “family reasons” was the the reason given for departing our club in a very swift manner.

Less than 12 months later, takes on another role higher up the chain almost directly after the club announced Misson was taking over his old role on a permanent basis.

Lyon moved him on.
Yourself and BM have a terrible habit of stating (incorrect) opinion as fact.

Then using repetition to try and convince people.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sat 04 Nov 2023 2:16am

Lyon moved him on.

They say you should never go into battle with an unarmed man, so I'll go gently. But before we kick off can you put something down that attempts to demonstrate your persuasive argument skills?

Sanctorum
Club Player

Lyon moved him on.

Am I the only one who's sometimes wondered if the two are in fact the same individual?

People play mind games and in the era of online social media that's not unusual - 'good cop' - 'bad cop', split personalities.:lol:

I'd be surprised if this hasn't happened before on this forum.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Fri 03 Nov 2023 4:47am "The part-time role"

There is your answer.

Yes is only back as a "Consultant".

Vastly different than the full-time high pressure gig he was hired for at St Kilda.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Less than 12 months later,
So for example his wife was ill and recovered?

Or one of his parents needed help but no longer does. etc

Or his wife just could not handle him still be fulltime employed which she perhaps wanted to enjoy her "golden years" more?
Vortex wrote: Fri 03 Nov 2023 4:05pm takes on another role higher up the chain
The role is only part time and is actually a "lesser/lower" role than his gig at the Saints was.

So he is lower down the chain now.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 04 Nov 2023 7:34am

Lyon moved him on.

They say you should never go into battle with an unarmed man, so I'll go gently. But before we kick off can you put something down that attempts to demonstrate your persuasive argument skills?
The sort of humour my year 6 math teacher led with.

There is no argument needed from my end. Your conspiracy on the other hand....

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

If Geoff Walsh's thoughtless and insensitive comments about the club when he first started are any indication, he comes across as an overrated administrator with a big ego and someone who has poor media and communication skills. His comments, although potentially true, showed a lack of humility and respect for the hardworking staff who bust a gut to improve the club. It is likely that these negative and poorly articulated remarks didn’t go down well with the staff. Perhaps Tony can provide further insight and confirmation on this.
Last edited by SaintPav on Sat 04 Nov 2023 9:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

You just made that up

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

i think the key thing people are missing, is that his new role at the AFL is part time. His job with us was full time.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ross couldn’t work with the ‘strategy’ guy who left before beginning of the year.

Forget his name and too lazy to look it up.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sat 04 Nov 2023 4:58pm i think the key thing people are missing, is that his new role at the AFL is part time. His job with us was full time.
Jobs for mates..