Erin Phillips retired!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Erin Phillips retired!

Omg :shock:
First Daisy whatshername now Erin Phillips!
Is this AFLW thing for real!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
King Max
Club Player

Re: Erin Phillips retired!

Not Saints related and what point are you trying to make?

outside66
Club Player

King Max wrote: Tue 31 Oct 2023 12:48pm Not Saints related and what point are you trying to make?
+ 1

amusingname
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote: Tue 31 Oct 2023 12:42pm Omg :shock:
First Daisy whatshername now Erin Phillips!
Is this AFLW thing for real!
Imagine 38 and 35 year old's deciding to retire! would never happen in the mens game!

Seriously though, I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

The point is that the women's game is non newsworthy. I'm flabbergasted this stuff gets press coverage.

outside66
Club Player

Ok. I guess the only point your point made is that you're a moron.

amusingname
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote: Tue 31 Oct 2023 1:51pm The point is that the women's game is non newsworthy. I'm flabbergasted this stuff gets press coverage.
You are flabbergasted that it gets coverage, so you decide to make a thread solely to say that it shouldn't get coverage? Isn't that just giving it more coverage and enraging yourself further?

Way to stick it to Erin and Daisy! (I am certain you know her last name as well)

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote: Tue 31 Oct 2023 2:20pm
magnifisaint wrote: Tue 31 Oct 2023 1:51pm The point is that the women's game is non newsworthy. I'm flabbergasted this stuff gets press coverage.
You are flabbergasted that it gets coverage, so you decide to make a thread solely to say that it shouldn't get coverage? Isn't that just giving it more coverage and enraging yourself further?

Way to stick it to Erin and Daisy! (I am certain you know her last name as well)
I thought you might be interested.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

You have to acknowledge that Erin Phillips is a champion, whether or not you like AFLW.

She has played 2 sports at the highest level.
Commonwealth gold medallist, Olympic silver medallist, Gold and Bronze at the World championships.
2 x WNBA champion
3 x WNBA All Star
Then she turned to footy.
3 premierships
2 x club champion
3 x All Australian
2 x MVP
2 x league B&F
and more....

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

She is a great sportswoman.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Then your original post is astonishingly disrespectful

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Nah. I just reckon AFLW is crap.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

No surprises there
She only played for Port this year so she could follow in the footsteps of her father .

In red white and black from 73
diddley
Club Player

Imagine being so offended that something happened in the world that you just didn’t like, so you go online to boast to everyone that it is non-newsworthy.
That is just a lie.
The afl alone puts out puff pieces every day that are non-newsworthy. Every single day. Worse in the off-season. Not once did you come on here and mention the credibility of that news.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Hmmm. Not sure what you mean.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Tue 31 Oct 2023 7:04pm Hmmm. Not sure what you mean.
You obviously feel that something inferior like women's footy and the inferior athletes who are part of AFLW shouldn't get ANY media or promotion.

I think you have issues

You somehow...in your own mind...feel somewhat threatened...or you cannot comprehend why society accepts girls and women playing a man's game
magnifisaint wrote: Tue 31 Oct 2023 12:42pm Is this AFLW thing for real!
It's ok mate. You'll be fine. Take a deep breath next time...but most of all, get used to it because YES. IT IS FKN REAL :mrgreen:

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

ahhh... the offseason.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think the AFLW is a long term prospect and those in charge are not blind to the enormity of the task at hand. The competition in its first year or so was a joke.

Remember when there’d be like 4 goal games and matches that resembled U11s standard.

The view however was to promote it, support it, drive participation and improve.

Look… it’s not my cup of tea either but one can’t argue that the standard hasn’t improved out of sight in a short period. Seems pretty comfortable to say that comp will survive and flourish in years to come. It’ll never be comparable to the men’s game noting the 120 year head start but it will be its own thing

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Its certainly not comparable to AFL.

But I enjoy every sport level, just as I have watched the special olympics & marvelled at the professionalism and often courage of the athletes...I dont compare them to Usain Bolt.

We need to be able to enjoy sport competitions for the level at which they play. I like watching kids, country seniors, vfl play afl...I dont compare them to Men's AFL because they aren't...but they can be entertaining...especially some country footy...its gets crazy!

Lets celebrate our AFLW and 110% the Sainters in that league!

I do hear the argument the AFLW could have a separate website just as the VFL does...but the AFLW is heavily invested by the AFL for big $$$ returns and needs guaranteed exposure...its sad they didnt think it could start as its own entity & build.

We may eventually see a separation and maybe even rebranding as the womens english league has...they're Barclays Women's Super League, men are English Premier League...but both under the governing body. I like what they've done to really give the women their own identity.

SaintWiki
Club Player

To imply that AFL and AFLW should not be on the same website is really trite. AFLW already sits in the background and only highlighted when AFL is at it's lowest regarding news stories and indeed when AFLW is at it's peak and very few AFL players are even training. If it wasn't for Trade, Draft and gossip there wouldn't be any men's footy related stories at all. One day there will more than likely be a valid reasons to change the footy information systems with everything advancing anyway.

I guess when some men evolve over the years they'll be gratified as the women's game keeps evolving and demands as many headlines as the men's game currently does. I have noticed a marked improvement in AFLW game in the very short time it has existed.

God help the men who find it hard to keep up for whatever reasons, especially if AFLW moves past AFL in any way whatsoever in the not too distant future.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The skill levels Erin Phillips displayed after a career in BBall looked pretty good to me.

The last quarter effort by the girls on the weekend was strong all bar 1 cheaper at the end. The one before, they deserved but our girls were convincing. There will be concerns for other teams, if we sneak in the 8. But the top 3 or 4 are a class above.
If Essendon can't win at Carrara, and we can at Optus then we are in, I think.
The skills are improving and the girls are starting to move the ball well.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

SaintWiki wrote: Wed 01 Nov 2023 7:54pm To imply that AFL and AFLW should not be on the same website is really trite. AFLW already sits in the background and only highlighted when AFL is at it's lowest regarding news stories and indeed when AFLW is at it's peak and very few AFL players are even training. If it wasn't for Trade, Draft and gossip there wouldn't be any men's footy related stories at all. One day there will more than likely be a valid reasons to change the footy information systems with everything advancing anyway.

I guess when some men evolve over the years they'll be gratified as the women's game keeps evolving and demands as many headlines as the men's game currently does. I have noticed a marked improvement in AFLW game in the very short time it has existed.

God help the men who find it hard to keep up for whatever reasons, especially if AFLW moves past AFL in any way whatsoever in the not too distant future.
Sorry mate, you misunderstood my comment...it wasn't an implication, it was based on facts...unlike your apparent ideology espoused in your comment where cave men spew misogny over all in sight.

Facts. You know those pesky things?
Read.

Global codes "care" deeply ( note sarcasm) about womens sport. What business cares about is the bottom line. Money.

Significant research was carried out to "support womens sport". In doing so it was discovered that it was much more beneficial for several reasons for womens codes to start & continue as separate entities with established separate identity. Many codes accepted this and saw the bottom line. Build the sport and earn more....

Research showed when womens sport shared platforms with mens sport that it did not facilitate significant growth. Men who were interested would actually seek out the womens code separate platform driving traffic, advert $ and forming a new base. Men who weren't interested would actually resent the enmeshed platform....note this COULD be some misgonistic beliefs by some... but research found the same level of resentment for lower tiers in same code being given space on the same platform.
So... example...men will resent & resist having vfl, womens afl etc on the same platform as AFL. But if they did have interest they would seek the various stand alone platforms. If the money says womens sport grows more rapidly via stand alone platforms...money dont lie ( as they say).

The value for womens sport is tremendous if they would follow the proven global model. I support the AFLW. We are members and love our Saints, men & women.

Think for yourself instead of what you've been told, sold, and behold.

I have changed my thinking so many times by seeking knowledge with a truly open mind.
Maybe when you evolve you will speak from knowledge not ideology?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Let's play "spot the fragile male ego"!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
markp
Saintsational Legend

Also Erin Patterson has just been arrested.

There's a much room/mushoom, salary cap/death cap joke in there somewhere, and something about Erin's not being wanted on the footy field or in the kitchen... but it's probably too soon.

66Iwasthere
Club Player

Totally dumb and unnecessary.