Geary leadership gone to the dogs.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Geary leadership gone to the dogs.

Former Saint lands development role as Dogs' off-field overhaul continues - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1057264

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Geary leadership gone to the dogs.

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 25 Oct 2023 4:34pm Former Saint lands development role as Dogs' off-field overhaul continues - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1057264
Gone to the dogs!

Saw what you did there

Clever

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He could leak Richo’s and Ratt’s intel to Bevo.

What a disaster.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 25 Oct 2023 5:38pm He could leak Richo’s and Ratt’s intel to Bevo.

What a disaster.
one can only hope.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 25 Oct 2023 5:38pm He could leak Richo’s and Ratt’s intel to Bevo.

What a disaster.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

As long as he doesn't teach them how to kick he should be fine

Just joshin' of course. He wasn't a forward...but

Was a good set shot at goal during his time in the RWB. On the run...not so much...'do as I say not what I used to do' 😜🤣

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Good on Geary for getting a coaching gig in the AFL, hopefully his charges don't get fed up with him saying do as I say, not as I did when trying to develop them.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
66Iwasthere
Club Player

I reckon it’s a good appointment for the Dogs, Gears is a good solid citizen and a leader, even if he was only a GOP. The role he has been given just shows how far behind the Dogs are in developing a contemporary coaching team around Bevo.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Good move by him. He needs to go somewhere where he doesn't know anyone and isn't distracted by familiarity.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SaintWiki
Club Player

I am not as harsh as many Sainters, he didn't have great sills in some areas but he played tough and usually had an awareness in what was going on and even did a bit of onfield directing. Surely he has a fair bit to offer, and anyway I wish him all the best.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Good appointment.

Hard as a cats head, solid citizen, good leader and got everything out of himself as a player.

Hopefully he can turn these attributes into his off field career.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I'm always confused as to how Geary being courageous, translated into good leadership.
Looking back at the era he was captain and looking at the movements in leadership since, the football department review and the shocking player development that has gone on on the past, I'm not sure Geary was much good at all. Even hos courageous behaviour cost him dearly on the injury toll in the end.
Nothing against Jarryn, but I think he is just another player we completely overrated.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Outstanding leader!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 28 Oct 2023 9:27am Outstanding leader!
Yeah. Sure.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 26 Oct 2023 9:30pm I'm always confused as to how Geary being courageous, translated into good leadership.
Looking back at the era he was captain and looking at the movements in leadership since, the football department review and the shocking player development that has gone on on the past, I'm not sure Geary was much good at all. Even hos courageous behaviour cost him dearly on the injury toll in the end.
Nothing against Jarryn, but I think he is just another player we completely overrated.
I think courageous does translate into good leadership in general. Especially the courage to keep ploughing away when some might fall away…that kind of courage.

I didn’t follow the Saints much back then, but my impression was that it was a disaster to make him leader and to re-sign him for the final year. It was simply uncompetitive.

It smacked of StKilda being a ‘nice guy’ team. And making a stand for ‘human values’ and ‘virtues’.. Gears being an ‘honest toiler’ and that kinda stuff. Now Toby Green, on the other hand, is also courageous that way. But he looks like a nasty piece of work and I’m the footy field he is intimidating.

I think his manager did a sneaky move in his last year, deliberately not announcing captaincy plans until after the trading and delisting period. We carried him n his last year. Should have been off the list.. the whole thing was part of our ‘non-competitive’ period. No more I hope

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I recall Riewoldt being an outstanding leader.

I'm imagining that 'outstanding leadership' extends right into mediocre leadership, if Geary is to be held in the same description as Riewoldt.

Then we have Harvey and Hayes both 'outstanding leaders'.

Geary at the Bulldogs. Cool, they have a nice list. Let's see how he goes. I wonder if he will try to win the time trial or whether he will be like a skills development coach.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Depends on what your definition of what a great leader is?

A good player?

I know a few ex sainters that went back to local

Three of them all preferred Jarryn over Roo as a captain

I suppose everyone has a different pov

I also know of players who weren’t RL fans

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 28 Oct 2023 10:18pm Depends on what your definition of what a great leader is?

A good player?

Don't wanna ound tougher than I am...which is no where as tough as old Gears, but I don't really care what the players like. Matter of fact, it might be a bad sign if they say they prefer someone. Who holds them to account? That matters!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 28 Oct 2023 10:18pm Depends on what your definition of what a great leader is?

A good player?

If you know anyone that played under both, I'd say he was a fringe player around the same time as Geary and couldn't crack into the side.

Then they probably played a hundred games or so under Richo and a few games under Geary and got retired or traded by Ratten. They call that sour grapes.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I'm being unfairly harsh on Geary, I take it back. He gave his all, never backed down and gave outstanding service under incredibly difficult and perhaps unlucky times in terms of draft, trading, medical decisions and career ending injuries.

Sanctorum
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 29 Oct 2023 12:12am I'm being unfairly harsh on Geary, I take it back. He gave his all, never backed down and gave outstanding service under incredibly difficult and perhaps unlucky times in terms of draft, trading, medical decisions and career ending injuries.
All of that may be true CQS but so are the comments you posted earlier.

I always felt that Geary often kept his spot in the team solely because he was captain, because his form and skill levels certainly didn't warrant his selection.

Courage is but one element of good leadership, but that is about the only peg Geary could hang his hat on....

All of the successful premiership teams have had skippers who were clearly among the best players in the team which enabled them to lead by example. Geary on the other hand was not able to lead by example, he was just another average player.

But I understand your retraction, you don't want to known as the supporter who killed Bambi :lol:

In regard to the practice of players voting who should captain the team, maybe I'm wrong but I suspect AFL is about the only elite team sport that does this.

In principle I disagree with that concept because I have long considered that coaches are far better placed to make such objective decisions based on their knowledge of every individual's strengths, whereas players are likely to be more subjective.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 26 Oct 2023 9:30pm I'm always confused as to how Geary being courageous, translated into good leadership.
Personally, I'll take on board statements from Hayes, Hamill, Reiwoldt, Jones, Ray, Ratten, and the board & football departments that endorsed his elevation to captaincy as an indication of Geary's leadership qualities over a supporter on an anonymous internet forum. Regardless of the lack of success in that era, the honor of leading a professional sporting organisation is not awarded to a player who does not display high level leadership skills.

I have not played sport above local level, but have been exposed to international level sport, and can state that anyone who has witnessed the inner workings of an elite environment would not question the leadership of a professional sportsman such as Jarryn Geary on the basis of their opinion of his football ability.

Players and coaches could state he is courageous, he's a great bloke etc and leave it at that, but they all mention he is a leader, and Hayes says he saw it early in Geary's career. Now the Bulldog's have appointed him and good luck to him.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/from-r ... f79b1b16ba

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/fro ... 56141.html

https://www.theinnersanctum.com.au/jarr ... -st-kilda/

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1057264/for ... -continues

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

A good player?

As a young buck I was starting my first year as captain/coach of a cricket club when the president took me aside over a beer and told me the following:

5 of the blokes in the 5ths think they should be in the 4ths,
5 blokes in the 4ths think they should be in the 3rds, etc, etc, etc you get the picture.

We have about 70 senior players in the club.
If you can get through the season with only 10% of them pissed off, you have done a great job!

It was f****** great and true advice!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 29 Oct 2023 12:47pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 29 Oct 2023 12:12am I'm being unfairly harsh on Geary, I take it back. He gave his all, never backed down and gave outstanding service under incredibly difficult and perhaps unlucky times in terms of draft, trading, medical decisions and career ending injuries.
All of that may be true CQS but so are the comments you posted earlier.

I always felt that Geary often kept his spot in the team solely because he was captain, because his form and skill levels certainly didn't warrant his selection.

Courage is but one element of good leadership, but that is about the only peg Geary could hang his hat on....

All of the successful premiership teams have had skippers who were clearly among the best players in the team which enabled them to lead by example. Geary on the other hand was not able to lead by example, he was just another average player.

But I understand your retraction, you don't want to known as the supporter who killed Bambi :lol:

In regard to the practice of players voting who should captain the team, maybe I'm wrong but I suspect AFL is about the only elite team sport that does this.

In principle I disagree with that concept because I have long considered that coaches are far better placed to make such objective decisions based on their knowledge of every individual's strengths, whereas players are likely to be more subjective.
I hammered Geary during his career. I'd prefer to hunt Bambi's mum or dad but on reflection, a number of players looked like they were just going through the motions of trying to match their output to their inflated salaries.

That's wasnt Geary's fault. Roberton was the clear choice for me and in 2017, he played like one.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

David Armitage and Sam Gilbert

Also fringe players
Sam Dunnell and TDL