Saints draft rated

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saints draft rated

From the heraldsun.com.au

"IN: Liam Henry (Fremantle), Paddy Dow (Carlton)

OUT: Jade Gresham (Essendon), Nick Coffield (Western Bulldogs), Jack Billings (Melbourne)

PICKS: 13, 21, 40

It felt like a garage sale that was short on customers. The Saints finally found a buyer for Billings – but will pay part of his salary to play for Melbourne. When players such as Dougal Howard are on $700,000 it makes it hard to get overly creative. Still, close to $2 million was taken off the books through Gresham ($800,000), Coffield and Billings. Some of the club’s exorbitant salaries shocked coach Ross Lyon when he joined and might explain talk of tension between Lyon and club boss Simon Lethlean. The Saints hold two first-round picks for the first time in six years although they are likely to get pushed out to about No.16 and 25 (meanwhile North Melbourne holds five of the first 18 picks). Zeroed in on Henry and Dow to fill their need for speed but interest in Dylan Shiel was swiftly shutdown.

Last edited by saynta on Fri 20 Oct 2023 6:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saints58
Club Player

Re: Saints draft rated

we also gained 2 more 3 round picks for next year so we have 3 third round picks.
with pick 40 and 2 of our 3 rounders next year we should try and get a late 1st or early second round pick for this year

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

From The Roar
Rating: C+
Ranking: 13th best out of 18 clubs

OUT: Jack Billings (St Kilda), Nick Coffield (Western Bulldogs), Jade Gresham (Essendon)

2023 Draft Picks: 13, 21, 40, 92

Here is where we start to see teams who either lost more than they gained, or earned a zero sum.

Top of the group is the Saints, primarily because they safely secured Henry, who should lock in a spot on a wing and thrive with mentor Bradley Hill there to look after him; adding Dow to the midfield ranks and securing a first-rounder as compensation for Gresham also saw the Saints come out in the green.

I actually had them as high as sixth in the rankings before sending them plummeting thanks to a disappointing last day: I’m shocked they accepted a future third-rounder for Billings, while also agreeing to pay part of his wage. Surely the Saints’ salary cap isn’t sufficiently bursting that the two years to run on his contract were going to break the bank, and like my Bulldogs did in offloading Lachie Hunter to the Demons last year for a similar price, this seems to me like nothing more than strengthening a rival for no personal gain.

The risk/reward on Billings made it a no-win for the Saints: if he succeeds at the Dees, they’ll look stupid, and even if he fails, it’s not like they got anything worth getting for him anyway.

Grade: C+

https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/10/19/a ... s-history/

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The amateur raters don't appreciate the benefits that flow from the players delisted and moved on no longer being on the list. Its like taking heavy lead weights out of the saddle bags. Or ifs its analogous to a garage sale, completely freeing up space in the garage for a mint condition V8 previously parked in the street.
They take a very narrow simplistic view.
Also
I am confident the raters have very little appreciation of the yet untapped abilities of Henry and Dow.
You would have to rate our performance during the trade period (not the draft) as an A, B+ minimum.
Far better than the F for FU achieved in chasing De Goey.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Don't agree with the negative opinion about Jack Billings being traded to Melbourne.

For a start, JB is entering the twilight zone of his career, one that has never achieved his #3 draft pick promise while playing for St Kilda.

His form in the 11 games he was selected since 2021 were nothing to write home about and it's highly unlikely he would have played many games for the Saints in 2024.

At Melbourne he will probably be like his former team mate Luke Dunstan and find it very hard to break into their best 23, paying part of his salary for the next 2 years is 'samting nating' (pidgin English, soft "a").

Losing Jade Gresham to Essendon is not a big deal, he was on big money and rarely failed to pay a good return on investment, regularly ignored players in a better position to score in preference to running a victory lap on the insufficient times he actually kicked a goal...gaining a 1st round compensation pick is a good reward.

The acquisition of Liam Henry, an excitement machine in the mould of Kysaiah Pickett and Bobby Hill, plus Paddy Dow who can be expected to train his arse off to prove Carlton they were mistaken to let him go, are both set to add more youth and real potency to next year's list.

Was disappointed to lose Coffield but he obviously preferred the better contract offered by Footscray. Hope he makes a name for himself but that's not at all certain, time will tell...

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Got rid of some players that were not value for money, lost an injury prone potential young gun and I think some future period points. Gained some salary space and two yet to be proven players. Both have shown glimpses but at this stage both are fringe or depth players.

If being honest it is a pretty average trade period which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Got rid of some players cheaper than we would have like but got in some young players who may shine under a new coach. What we really need now is to nail our draft picks

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 19 Oct 2023 8:50am From the heraldsun.com.au

"IN: Liam Henry (Fremantle), Paddy Dow (Carlton)

OUT: Jade Gresham (Essendon), Nick Coffield (Western Bulldogs), Jack Billings (Melbourne)

PICKS: 13, 21, 40

It felt like a garage sale that was short on customers. The Saints finally found a buyer for Billings – but will pay part of his salary to play for Melbourne. When players such as Dougal Howard are on $700,000 it makes it hard to get overly creative. Still, close to $2 million was taken off the books through Gresham ($800,000), Coffield and Billings. Some of the club’s exorbitant salaries shocked coach Ross Lyon when he joined and might explain talk of tension between Lyon and club boss Simon Lethlean. The Saints hold two first-round picks for the first time in six years although they are likely to get pushed out to about No.16 and 25 (meanwhile North Melbourne holds five of the first 18 picks). Zeroed in on Henry and Dow to fill their need for speed but interest in Dylan Shiel was swiftly shutdown.
Good old Laura “ Norf staffer Kane".🤦‍♂️

Good on ya, Lozza! 👍

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Killa
Club Player

The Draft hand gifted to NM, a serial underperforming Club over the recent past but which has more premierships than St Kilda (over 150 years) is one thing

The question apart from that is what positions were the players departing competing against and against who?

So where did they see themselves in the pecking order?

Then, in regard the Clubs they have moved to, the same question can be asked

So will they receive greater opportunity elsewhere, because players do move for that reason - including some on our List?

In regards those we have added it appears we have added (much needed) pace - and skills

The Club which would be aggrieved would be Fremantle with Henry, so a good get for St Kilda

Then we get to the Draft

Killa
Club Player

And just on that subject, I put that in my opinion Acres had ability so why let go when it was not necessary

The response was that it was thought that a move home to WA would be beneficial to his football and career

It is not all dog eat dog and “winning” the deal

The old story was that if you did not leave something on the plate there was no deal

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Haven’t improved the list - which is what the trade period is for

Hopefully SOS made the plane.

lewdogs
Club Player

Hey B.M. just wondering what you thought of the Billings trade? Would be interested to hear your thoughts as you haven't commented on the matter yet (more than 100 times).

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

B.M wrote: Thu 19 Oct 2023 10:15pm Haven’t improved the list - which is what the trade period is for

If you're a simpleton this is correct.

Reality is players out were as good If not better than the players in.

That said.

We improved our list by.

1. Shifting our age demographic
2. Reducing the TPP
3. Positional depth
4. Improving our draft hand

Knowing that trades typically need to be win-win I think we did well. We had too many small forwards and a very solid backline. Players left that position and we brought in speed and mids- two things we lacked.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

B.M wrote: Thu 19 Oct 2023 10:15pm Haven’t improved the list - which is what the trade period is for

If you're a simpleton this is correct.

Reality is players out were as good If not better than the players in.

That said.

We improved our list by.

1. Shifting our age demographic
2. Reducing the TPP
3. Positional depth
4. Improving our draft hand

Knowing that trades typically need to be win-win I think we did well. We had too many small forwards and a very solid backline. Players left that position and we brought in speed and mids- two things we lacked.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

No

If you’re a realist- it’s correct

Why do we need to reduce TPP next season - are we adding more talent? Was we over the cap

Technically, you should go into every season spending 100% of the cap. If you want to be on a level playing field

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

B.M wrote: Fri 20 Oct 2023 4:48pm No

Why do we need to reduce TPP next season - are we adding more talent? Was we over the cap

Technically, you should go into every season spending 100% of the cap. If you want to be on a level playing field
We've lost 3 players. 2 which weren't in our starting side.

Added 2 players who are expected to start in our side.

And have 2 1st round draft picks.

= improved.

Is it the most exciting improvement of all time no. But it is improvement.

And if we have reduced our salary expenditure not only have we improved but we're doing it whilst spending less.

Which provides positioning and future optionality.

Another tick.

You're not a realist, you're caviling.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Fri 20 Oct 2023 5:35pm

We've lost 3 players. 2 which weren't in our starting side.

Added 2 players who are expected to start in our side.

And have 2 1st round draft picks.

= improved.

Is it the most exciting improvement of all time no. But it is improvement.

And if we have reduced our salary expenditure not only have we improved but we're doing it whilst spending less.

Which provides positioning and future optionality.

Another tick.

You're not a realist, you're caviling.
Mate it’s seriously pointless
The points you make are lost on Marty ….cause he woulda tied Billing’s up in the basement to keep him from leaving…

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Getting rid of a player who:

Hasn't played a decent game in 2 years @ $550K,

Whose manager begged for interest the moment he was picked and had 2 'HAMSTRING AWARENESS' injuries in three weeks

Who has had a free ride through pre-seasons for 3 years and declared himself fit to play, when he clearly wasn't and just got more and more injured.

IS improving the list.

Billings is cooked.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Slight correction.

Draft hasn’t happened yet.

I think we did ok in the trade period given the limited hand we have.

We picked up two players who will contribute immediately and appear to have some upside. We kept our early pick which showed great restraint.

Again, the football media has unsurprisingly underrated us. I think that suits us.

Hopefully we can pickup a gem or two in the draft.

Darcy Wilson looks very lively.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Thu 19 Oct 2023 10:29am we also gained 2 more 3 round picks for next year so we have 3 third round picks.
with pick 40 and 2 of our 3 rounders next year we should try and get a late 1st or early second round pick for this year
The banks must love you.
Unable to live within your means.
Mortgaging your future.

St Kilda gave away their 2nd round pick for 2025 and in all the trading got 2 extra 2025 3rd round picks.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s funny - Melbourne seemed to think he can add to their list

A list that is easily better than ours

And we are paying him

We are not clearing his wage - we are paying him 250k to play in an opposing team

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

B.M wrote: Fri 20 Oct 2023 11:22pm It’s funny - Melbourne seemed to think he can add to their list

And we are paying him

We are not clearing his wage - we are paying him 250k to play in an opposing team
Yes but we have to pay the minimum of the salary cap.

This way we can keep that money to allocate in the future.

Also even if we are paying $250- that is still 250k off the books (assuming 500k wage) and the draftee that replaces him won't be getting that much.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Loading up over the next year or so.

Welcome home, Christian. 🫂

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 20 Oct 2023 11:22pm It’s funny - Melbourne seemed to think he can add to their list

And we are paying him

Dee's pick up a guy for $250k minimum wage who adds depth. JB is not close to playing regular firsts.
We shed $250k of wasted salary cap.
If the benefits to all parties are not obvious to you don't even think about having a smsf, and check what financial advice you are getting.
You seem to be making the mistake of thinking JB was an asset when he was a liability.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It's funny that the same bloke who convinced Melbourne to take Dunstan, might have now convinced them to take Billings

Maybe Cho and Goodwin don't have a clue

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

And we are paying him

B.M I feel for your wife and family, you are such a misery guts. Get over Billings. He isn’t that good same as Gresham. Not team players at all. Rather they are out of the team and make way for the younger boys to have more opportunities and improve.

That $250k is speculation. We don’t know how much we are paying exactly.