Billings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

amusingname
Club Player

Re: Billings

No, I would have liked to keep him, as I am a fan of his skills. Once the decision was made on both sides I don’t know what other options there was though.

Again, what would you have done?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 18 Oct 2023 8:45pm You’re happy with the deal?

Happy to be paying JBs wage next year whilst he plays in a better team?

Apologist pure and simple
I’m f king WRAPT he’s gone
Hallelujah!!!
You’re happy overpaying for gop s so you can say
“Oh but he had that 1 top 5 BnF finish in 10 years…he’s a gun”
Luke Ball??? He wanted out too ….you were gonna tie him up in basement too????
See ya Jack
He’s a Dees player I couldn’t give a shyte what he does
I do know in 3 years (just like Dunstan) he’s either retired or playing Ammo’s with his private school buddies again

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn’t do a deal detrimental to the StK FC

Melbourne only gives us chicken feed for him - they pay his salary

If the overpay with DP then I’d be happy to pay part of his salary - it’d be like pick purchasing

As it was we were bent over

SOS was more worried about getting to the airport to catch a plane to his sons wedding obviously

Because this deal is the worst in my living memory as a stk supporter
And that’s saying something because Brad Hill was embarrassing

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What did we GET out of the deal?

lewdogs
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 18 Oct 2023 8:50pm I wouldn’t do a deal detrimental to the StK FC

If the overpay with DP then I’d be happy to pay part of his salary - it’d be like pick purchasing

SOS was more worried about getting to the airport to catch a plane to his sons wedding obviously

They did overpay for him.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We are paying him to play at a BETTER team

If he makes them better - why wouldn’t he make us better

Oh that’s right
Lyon is rebuilding 😂

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Don’t be ridiculous.

Hill was much worse.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 18 Oct 2023 8:50pm I wouldn’t do a deal detrimental to the StK FC

LMAO
“Worst deal living memory”
Hysterical much ?????
For a gop fringe player we got a F3 fir in a stronger draft ???
To free up a list spot (hopefully Mannagh from what I’ve read) for a player who actually wants to be there ???
Batshyte crazy stuff
You w@no on about winning deals
Let the club play the long game
This one’s over your head buddy

“Yeah….nah””
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

While I’m not hysterical enough to say this is one of worst ever trades, we are the losers in this trade, make no mistake.

We traded Billings for chump change and we’re still paying a portion of his salary. He was contracted, we didn’t have to do squat, but we’re now paying him to play for the competition and we get? A crap pick.
Last edited by SydneySainter on Wed 18 Oct 2023 10:15pm, edited 2 times in total.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Yes

The Hill deal was shocking!!!

But at least he’s playing for us!!!

We are paying for Billings to help a club have a premiership tilt. It’s embarrassing which ever way you try and spin it!

I could cop it, if we got something out of the deal, like a pick worth using.

SOS is a proven dud when it comes to list management - this deal was typically terrible

How does this deal improve StKs list?

amusingname
Club Player

There you go then, so you would have kept him as Melbourne had all the leverage, don’t really need him and know that we don’t want him.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

We paid Billings a $1.1million dollars for his previous 11 matches.

I reckon we just paid only $200k for his last 10 for Melbourne.

He will be in surgery before Melbourne can welcome him, he will of course be due to resume training in the new year and should be ready to join the main group, expecting a game, in round 1. Lol

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

He did get 14 brownlow votes and kicked 5 in a 25 disposal game 7 years ago. He will come good in round 23, 2025, just before he retires.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Making the assumption that this was the absolute best deal on the table…
Then yeah I’m struggling to see what we get out of the deal. We’re pbly paying half his salary and the money we’ve freed up doesn’t get us anything for 12months as it was down at the end of the trade period.

Whilst I’m not super sore to lose him…

A better deal is to keep him for depth for 12months, make him work and see if you can up his value and get someone else to pick up the last year of his contract or a better pick.

If you could pull it off it would cost us the same $$$ but we’d have him as opposed an extra spot and pick #45+ next year.

Not a disaster but o don’t think it’s a particularly good deal

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Yes

The Hill deal was shocking!!!

But at least he’s playing for us!!!

We are paying for Billings to help a club have a premiership tilt. It’s embarrassing which ever way you try and spin it!

I could cop it, if we got something out of the deal, like a pick worth using.

SOS is a proven dud when it comes to list management - this deal was typically terrible

How does this deal improve StKs list?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Can only imagine how some of you would have been on the pies board when treloar and Stephenson were traded for nothing picks and treloars salary was being paid, let alone giving away an AA ruck man and paying 300k a year…..

Billings deal is nothing compared to this.
Clearly you guys have no idea how a tpp needs to be managed and how goodwill amongst player managers and other clubs needs to be created, particularly when players can’t crack it for a regular game.

Overall we reset a significant part of our cap and replaced two reserves players and a surplus senior player with a talented youngster with much needed speed and a mid that offers something different to what we have and will play seniors.

We also added a first round pick.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Crap deal.

What is wrong with the club wrapping their arms around a player at their exit interview and assuring them there is place for them in our best 22 if they can get fully fit and playing well with some continuity? These players just want to be wanted. You never know when a depth player will get their chance - Caminiti anyone ?

This trade period has been a disaster for the development of our young players. They will now play every week at a Sandy team that gets regularly spanked by 10 goals.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 18 Oct 2023 10:23pm Making the assumption that this was the absolute best deal on the table…
Then yeah I’m struggling to see what we get out of the deal. We’re pbly paying half his salary and the money we’ve freed up doesn’t get us anything for 12months as it was down at the end of the trade period.

Whilst I’m not super sore to lose him…

A better deal is to keep him for depth for 12months, make him work and see if you can up his value and get someone else to pick up the last year of his contract or a better pick.

If you could pull it off it would cost us the same $$$ but we’d have him as opposed an extra spot and pick #45+ next year.

Not a disaster but o don’t think it’s a particularly good deal
Have you ever played in a team with a guy that didn't want to be part of the team? And desperately wanted to be anywhere but playing along side you? And didn't have any belief in the teams direction and chance or success?

Completely missing the point.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Anyone that says it's a crap deal has never played team sport before.

Club Player

Getting a player off our list who didn’t want to be there is a good result. No other club wanted him so that was best offer available. Get rid of list cloggers especially overpaid players. No loss at all for us as he wasn’t going to play next year anyway. Prefer to have a draft pick with some potential than a 10 year flop.

saintkid
Club Player

All that's needed to be asked is why Lyon was so keen to let him go, regardless of having 2 years left on his contract.
The reality is Billings showed very little upside to his game for a number of years now. Lyon and his new coaching staff didn't take long to see through him.
A very overrated player that was a bust for the club. Personally, I'm happy to see the back of him.
Arguably, his best season was in 2017 playing as a half forward but even then it was nothing special, kicking 26 goals and 37 behinds.
He was and continued to be a poor set shot at goal.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Wed 18 Oct 2023 10:39pm Crap deal.

What is wrong with the club wrapping their arms around a player at their exit interview and assuring them there is place for them in our best 22 if they can get fully fit and playing well with some continuity? These players just want to be wanted. You never know when a depth player will get their chance - Caminiti anyone ?

This trade period has been a disaster for the development of our young players. They will now play every week at a Sandy team that gets regularly spanked by 10 goals.
Billings manager did a presser asking for interest the moment he wasn't selected for finals. Did you miss that?

He was selected in round 17- hamstring awareness, missed round 18, back round 19, hammy again in round 20. This is after 2 previous injuries this year and no pre-season.

He decided then that he was out. We payed him $100k a game for his last 11 matches and months of time in rehab for several injuries, including back surgery.

He needs to find fitness and manage his injuries and prove himself AGAIN.

He clearly knows there is a big chance heneeds surgery again and he mightn't play again next year. Otherwise, his medical records would be better and at least 4 clubs in the 8 would be chasing him.

Make of it what you will.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We got zero return for a player who is best 22 when fit. I'd be okay with it if we shipped him out to clear space for a big signing but that didn't happen. I'm not thrilled with this decision

damienc
Club Player

This thread is much ado about nothing. He desperately wanted to go. Now he’s gone. The end.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

The Boss has obviously told them to get rid of JB, he's not in any of his plans.
It's a terrible deal on paper, I can only assume they are clearing cap space for a crack at someone good next year.
We've turned 3 FRDPs into picks 21, 40 and F3R
Pretty awful era of (non) development

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi