Dow officially nominates Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Re: Dow officially nominates Saints

SaintPav wrote: Sun 08 Oct 2023 6:38pm Dow has only played 65 games. Hopefully he is about to hit a sweet spot.
Yeah, that is the point of maturity for an AFL player, a few preseasons and about the 70 game mark. Could turn out to be the bargain of the century.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I don’t mind us getting Dow. He is locked behind some out-and-out guns at Carlton and played some better-than-useful games for them when given the chance this season.

Often, good players take 60-odd games to really hit their straps.

On the subject of which, I’m p*ssed off with us potentially losing Coffield. I have him as potentially elite and couldn’t say the same for Stocker, for example. It won’t look good if Coff goes on to star at another club.

Dow could potentially lift our midfield, which is short of top notch.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

According to Kane "i know everything" Cornes adding Dow to our midfield gives us another player with poor kicking skills, he doesn't add a point of difference.

Proof will be there for all to see next season, if we get him.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Caminiti was invitedby SOS to come to training on the recommendation of his son.
The club was in a tight position with key forwards and Caminiti came and impressed and was signed on.

So, he was recruited, by the CLUB, under unique conditions, and did extremely well.

SOS just did his job, as did Caminiti.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Mon 09 Oct 2023 12:50pm According to Kane "i know everything" Cornes adding Dow to our midfield gives us another player with poor kicking skills, he doesn't add a point of difference.

I get where he’s coming from but looking at the best 22, Dow is essentially competing for spots with Steele, Crouch and Ross…

Ross is 30, Crouch 29 and the trio missed a bunch of games between in 2023 with Crouch perhaps the most durable.

You’d have to imagine that Dow is largely competing with Ross who may well be in his last season depending on how his form holds up. Was great in 2022 and the early part of 2023 but he had a tough second half of the year.

I would say at best… he pushes in front of Seb for 2024 and at worst is upgraded depth to the list noting that it seems pretty like that one of more of the trio will at least miss a few games at some point.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 08 Oct 2023 7:57pm
CURLY wrote: Sun 08 Oct 2023 5:44pm
Far better footballer than Byrnes who got a heap of games.
They play different positions.

We're recruiting Henry to play on the wing and Dow to play as a stoppage mid and centre bounce mid.
Correct.

Henry would be the upgrade on Byrnes.

Dow would be an upgrade on Clarke.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Mon 09 Oct 2023 2:31pm

We're recruiting Henry to play on the wing and Dow to play as a stoppage mid and centre bounce mid.
Correct.

I’m not 100% either are ‘upgrades’. Proof will be in the pudding.

Clark (N.B* spelling) just needs to keep improving his tank and I think he could be A grade. Dow is a good pick up for us and he’s learnt from some of the best people like Voss and Diesel Williams as well as working on field with Cripps, Walsh and others.

Ronnie played some good games for us and he is resilient. Could be a player who shows improvement year on year and when he’s 26 could be one of our fittest and best contributors. Remember DMac when he was 22-23 years of age?

We better not be paying overs for Henry! And…I’m talking about draft pick we hand over to Freo.

Ronnie is the same age as Henry.

Byrnes stats are the equal of Liam Henry so if we are saying that Henry has upside…well so does Ronnie.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=C&fid2=C

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 09 Oct 2023 3:21pm

Correct.

I’m not 100% either are ‘upgrades’. Proof will be in the pudding.

Clark (N.B* spelling) just needs to keep improving his tank and I think he could be A grade. Dow is a good pick up for us and he’s learnt from some of the best people like Voss and Diesel Williams as well as working on field with Cripps, Walsh and others.

Ronnie played some good games for us and he is resilient. Could be a player who shows improvement year on year and when he’s 26 could be one of our fittest and best contributors. Remember DMac when he was 22-23 years of age?

We better not be paying overs for Henry! And…I’m talking about draft pick we hand over to Freo.

Ronnie is the same age as Henry.

Byrnes stats are the equal of Liam Henry so if we are saying that Henry has upside…well so does Ronnie.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=C&fid2=C
If Freo insist on a first round pick then i hope the club walks away, can't let them shaft us every time we try to trade with them. The boat anchors.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Mon 09 Oct 2023 3:36pm
If Freo insist on a first round pick then i hope the club walks away, can't let them shaft us every time we try to trade with them. The boat anchors.
After Bobby Hill’s finals series and especially the Grand Final, the WA clubs would be thinking they have talent like Bobby in their backyard and they need to hang onto them.

All of a sudden his value has gone up based on him having speed and being agile and perhaps being indigenous.

Bobby Hill and others will only showcase their talent if they are part of premiership winning teams or teams who play an attacking game plan and are fast from getting the footy from their defence to their forwards.

We saw it as well with Willie Rioli in 2018, and Tyson Stengle in 2022. Neither are as good as Kosi Pickett or Cyril Rioli.

Are we ready to challenge the top 4 teams in 2024/2025?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 09 Oct 2023 1:23pm

at worst is upgraded depth to the list
That's all it is really, just adding depth to the band between the B and C grade players and that's a good thing because of the low base we are building from in terms of depth across that band.

From there hopefully some in that band push up above B grade.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Dow will do well in this list. He looks pretty fit and mentally resilient.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 09 Oct 2023 3:52pm
After Bobby Hill’s finals series and especially the Grand Final, the WA clubs would be thinking they have talent like Bobby in their backyard and they need to hang onto them.

All of a sudden his value has gone up based on him having speed and being agile and perhaps being indigenous.

Bobby Hill and others will only showcase their talent if they are part of premiership winning teams or teams who play an attacking game plan and are fast from getting the footy from their defence to their forwards.

We saw it as well with Willie Rioli in 2018, and Tyson Stengle in 2022. Neither are as good as Kosi Pickett or Cyril Rioli.

Not your greatest post old mate.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

If he gets done

Will be a nice pick up

Can play

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Mon 09 Oct 2023 6:56pm
Scollop wrote: Mon 09 Oct 2023 3:52pm

Not your greatest post old mate.
Sorry. Perhaps I didn't communicate properly

I meant that Freo are over valuing Liam Henry if they think he's anywhere near the quality that demands a first round pick

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Spot on!

Assumed it wasn't intentional 👍

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I think we can all agree on one thing.

Kane Cornes is a negative headline seeking f***wit.

His prediction all bodes well for the recruitment of Dow.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Mon 09 Oct 2023 12:50pm According to Kane "i know everything" Cornes adding Dow to our midfield gives us another player with poor kicking skills, he doesn't add a point of difference.

Kane is a bit of a headline whore let’s face it
Dow averages 6.5 CC a game - that’s better than all our existing mids who sit mi 5s
He can also run
IF he’s dishing off by hand to an outside player like Carlton used him this year he’ll add plenty
And we need centre clearance help!
For 4th rounder smart trading

“Yeah….nah””
damienc
Club Player

Dow has great hand and foot skills plus he's really good at exiting heavy traffic at stoppages.

Check his highlights reel. Dow can play. This is a good get.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Tue 10 Oct 2023 10:24am

Dow has great hand and foot skills plus he's really good at exiting heavy traffic at stoppages.

Check his highlights reel. Dow can play. This is a good get.
If we get him i'll watch him play for the Saints and see if you're correct, the opinions on him are mixed.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Dow averaged 16 possessions with only 53% Game Time, this year !

He should get around 80% game time with us ... so around 25 possessions plus.

His disposal efficiency is running around 65%, not great - but he has around 10 kicks per 6 handballs, and in the midfield, you are under a lot of pressure.
You'd expect a few of those kicks to go astray.

A 360 metres gained average is excellent given the 53% game time.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

damienc wrote: Sun 08 Oct 2023 5:49pm
cwrcyn wrote: Sun 08 Oct 2023 5:18pm Dow has been good at clearance work and has a better clearance average per game than any of our midfielders this year. Initially, I wasn't sure this was such a good move, but I have warmed to it. Any help we can get at the stoppages is greatly welcomed at this stage. We were destroyed there in 2023, so adding someone who has some clearance smarts is a good move.
Thank you. Finally, something sensible in an ocean of absurdity. Dow had a great back half to the year when he played. He's been starved of opportunity at Carlton. He will thrive at the Saints.
Agree - on all fronts. Dow is a good footballer who got drafted to a team with a good midfield that then recruited Cerra. He's not playing midfield ahead of them. But - he's 23 (so fits the list profile); gives us clearance power which we were poor/average at in 2023 and is an age-appropriate replacement for Ross / Crouch.

Two of my Carlton mate really rate him and are annoyed he's walking. And for a late pick too. That 2017 draft is a bit of a bust for Carlton now with Dow (pick 3) going and O'Brien (pick 10) deslisted today. Good.

Go you red, black & white warriors
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The commentary I’ve heard RE Dow is that his disposal has been iffy at times and maybe for a period of time he was considered as one that wasn’t working as hard as he could.

From around the time he was mentioned as someone that would come to us 3-4 months ago… it wasn’t as a trade but as a player that was destined to be delisted.

This kind of has a Mason Wood vibe about it in that when the writing was seemingly on the wall… he might have had an “oh $#!€ this could be over” moment and pulled the finger out.

He finished the year strongly tearing it apart in the VFL and looking decent in the opportunities that he’s gotten.

Personally I’m kind of stocked about this. Reckon he’ll be a really good recruit, primed to step up. Could just be Stocker all over again

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Correct.

No he wouldn’t.

Dow is similar in many ways

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote: Tue 10 Oct 2023 4:10pm

Correct.

No he wouldn’t.

Dow is similar in many ways
What? Dow is similar to Clark? Really? How so? Hunter is smarts with some vision and has a nice step. But he's slow as treacle and possesses the turning circle of the Queen Mary. Dow is an inside mid who has a quick go-forward first step or two. Dow is much more like a younger version of Seb Ross than Clark.

Go you red, black & white warriors
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

The thing about Dow is with only 53% game time compared to over 80% game time for Gresham, he still averaged 100 more metres gained.

That really surprised me.

... we will be gaining from this trade.

With equal game time, he'd go close to tripling Gresham's metres gained.