The Worst Place To Be

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Worst Place To Be

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 27 Sep 2023 10:07pm AFL negotiate like its playing with a lot of other people's money. So North get a great package for free, no strings attached. That’s the way to get them to lift. Apparently you can't legislate smarts. But the package is paid for by other clubs. Champion data could do a progressive analysis to identify whose losses are to subsidise North. It's no free lunch, even though the AFL presents it as no cost charity. It might be more transparent if just a sum of money was given. People can relate that to opportunity cost and it would be more obvious it's a rort.
Because the AFL know that North will be completely uncompetitive next year, and probably 2025 as well due to losing Goldstein, McKay, Ziebell and Cunnington all in the same year. It may also lead to players who are already there asking to be traded as well (pure conjecture on my behalf).

I reckon North will be a five goal a game worse off next year and may well struggle to match some of their better efforts they managed in matches this season. No experienced senior bodies to protect their young players. They will bear the full blowtorch of opposition attention.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Tue 26 Sep 2023 2:11pm Chris Scott said…

“The worst place to be clearly in today’s competition is the middle of the road because you get nothing.“

Ironically I actually would rather be in Norths position over the next few years than as ours as they will leap frog us now with the AFL assistance.

I have felt for some time now that the only way poor clubs have any chance of contending is to bottom out hard. And history is our evidence.

We are going to need a hell of a lot of luck, even some magic over these next few years at the trading table if we are any chance of rising above middle of the ladder.
The only time to bottom out hard was at the start of the 2000's when Hawthorn did it (& us to a lesser extent). We - on the otherhand - chose to bottom out hard in 2011 ... just as GWS/GCS were about to receive 90% of first round picks for the next 3 years.

The next worse time to bottom out will be in 2-3 years' time when Tassie will be afforded a truckload of draft assistance.

If North didn't get anything this year - they'd really be in the poop. I fear for WCE - they haven't even reached the bottom yet and will be re-building just as Tassie gets the cream.

We have to nail the next 2 drafts (as we have the last 2) to build enough drafted talent to then top off with recruits and FA's

Go you red, black & white warriors
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 02 Oct 2023 10:44am
Vortex wrote: Tue 26 Sep 2023 2:11pm Chris Scott said…

“The worst place to be clearly in today’s competition is the middle of the road because you get nothing.“

Ironically I actually would rather be in Norths position over the next few years than as ours as they will leap frog us now with the AFL assistance.

I have felt for some time now that the only way poor clubs have any chance of contending is to bottom out hard. And history is our evidence.

We are going to need a hell of a lot of luck, even some magic over these next few years at the trading table if we are any chance of rising above middle of the ladder.
The only time to bottom out hard was at the start of the 2000's when Hawthorn did it (& us to a lesser extent). We - on the otherhand - chose to bottom out hard in 2011 ... just as GWS/GCS were about to receive 90% of first round picks for the next 3 years.

The next worse time to bottom out will be in 2-3 years' time when Tassie will be afforded a truckload of draft assistance.

If North didn't get anything this year - they'd really be in the poop. I fear for WCE - they haven't even reached the bottom yet and will be re-building just as Tassie gets the cream.

We have to nail the next 2 drafts (as we have the last 2) to build enough drafted talent to then top off with recruits and FA's
If we can nail the next 2 it will go a long way to launching this list build.

WCE are the last club to have any fear for with regards to their ability to build a list, they are one of the richest clubs in the comp with massive resources so they will never have the issues us poorer clubs have.