Dylan Shiel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dylan Shiel

Shiel is to undergo knee surgery

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Every time I think this story can’t get worse…
The floors part and a staircase drops to take you down another level

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Why has Shiel waited over 6 weeks to have his surgery?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

OMG :?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Essendon must have forgotten to tell us that Shiel required surgery

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

He’s becoming more attractive to Lethlean by the day.

If he breaks his ankle climbing the steps at his sisters BBQ we’ll hand him a 4 year deal at $800k per season.

No need for a medical or concern, he’ll lift training standards.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Dylan Hannebery, welcome to the Saints, our latest superannuant.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Fri 06 Oct 2023 10:17pm Dylan Hannebery, welcome to the Saints, our latest superannuant.
Well, at least he doesn’t come with a penchant for the nose beers, like old mate Hanners did lol

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Fri 06 Oct 2023 10:50pm
bobmurray wrote: Fri 06 Oct 2023 10:17pm Dylan Hannebery, welcome to the Saints, our latest superannuant.
Well, at least he doesn’t come with a penchant for the nose beers, like old mate Hanners did lol
Has to be an upside to this madness. :lol:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Just get the pick
If he fills a need in midfield (let’s face it Coffield even at his age was never going to and we have surplus HB) then that’s ok
Just get the pick
Sane for Haynes…who doesn’t actually fill a need….good back up I suppose …get the pick take 1 year salary hit (we gotta spend it anyway) reward sone kids next year FA year after we challenge serious by then hopefully we’ve enough young talent stockpiled before Tassie get near it

“Yeah….nah””
wally
Club Player

Essendon must be spewing the story came out before he was traded unlike the Carlisle photo the day after

King Max
Club Player

“undergone knee surgery” doesn’t mean much. He could be out for a week or a year.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 07 Oct 2023 12:54am Just get the pick
If he fills a need in midfield (let’s face it Coffield even at his age was never going to and we have surplus HB) then that’s ok
Just get the pick
Sane for Haynes…who doesn’t actually fill a need….good back up I suppose …get the pick take 1 year salary hit (we gotta spend it anyway) reward sone kids next year FA year after we challenge serious by then hopefully we’ve enough young talent stockpiled before Tassie get near it
For 800,000 a year? No thanks. No, just on principle.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Shiel is an outstanding citizen, and if I remember correctly is engaged to the daughter of Choco Williams.

If surgery is keyhole meniscus or clean up it means nothing, but who knows.

The whole story of handing back the Gresham compensation pick for Shiel seems to have died.

Whoever writes this bulls*** has no clue.
Surely it was Essendon spin.

I’d rather not get him but if Gresham is going and taking Shiel gives us a first round pick I think it’s worth the punt.

Saints58
Club Player

now we have to get him why not give a first round this year and next year for him and take his wage as well.
Gee I am sick and tired of these stupid trades we always seem to be involved in, and a push over for other teams.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 07 Oct 2023 9:10am
Shiel is an outstanding citizen, and if I remember correctly is engaged to the daughter of Choco Williams.

The whole story of handing back the Gresham compensation pick for Shiel seems to have died.

I’d rather not get him but if Gresham is going and taking Shiel gives us a first round pick I think it’s worth the punt.
The common misconception is that we are giving Essendon our compo pick for Gresham. That is not the case. We’ll be giving them a third or fourth round pick in exchange for Shiel. Jake of Saints TV explains it at around 2:00 in this video:

damienc
Club Player

Sainternist wrote: Sat 07 Oct 2023 5:03pm

The common misconception is that we are giving Essendon our compo pick for Gresham. That is not the case. We’ll be giving them a third or fourth round pick in exchange for Shiel. Jake of Saints TV explains it at around 2:00 in this video:
Not only is it not the case. It was never the case. But not understanding the negativity surrounding Dylan Shiel. He is still a very good footballer. And if his knee op is just a clean out and we get him he will be good for us.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Maybe they should pair up Shiel with Clark as gym buddies?

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

damienc wrote: Sat 07 Oct 2023 8:26pm

Not only is it not the case. It was never the case. But not understanding the negativity surrounding Dylan Shiel. He is still a very good footballer. And if his knee op is just a clean out and we get him he will be good for us.
Shiel at best offers us two-three average seasons and takes a list spot.

Taking a rookie could be the next Sinclair, Wilkie or Marshall or the next Josiah Kyle, but Shiel is not going to improve us to any large extent.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

do it, get the high pick compo. front end shiel's salary. smart list management. try and swap our two first rounders.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SinCitySainter
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Mon 09 Oct 2023 7:30am
damienc wrote: Sat 07 Oct 2023 8:26pm

Shiel at best offers us two-three average seasons and takes a list spot.

Taking a rookie could be the next Sinclair, Wilkie or Marshall or the next Josiah Kyle, but Shiel is not going to improve us to any large extent.
The problem is that what Shiel really offers us is a big chunk of our salary cap swallowed for a couple of years.
That could limit our ability to chase Free Agents next year or limit our ability to pay a youngster who has a break out year.
Is Shiel going to be a better player than a late third round pick, probably, but if we pay any more than that we should be asking questions of the decision makes at this club.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Adrian Dodoro just stated that Shiel is not on the table and is a required player at Essendon.

Although he said similar things about every Essendon player linked to another club.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 09 Oct 2023 11:54am Adrian Dodoro just stated that Shiel is not on the table and is a required player at Essendon.
Great way to start the trade period. Awesome news. :lol: :lol:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 09 Oct 2023 11:54am Adrian Dodoro just stated that Shiel is not on the table and is a required player at Essendon.
I’m just speculating, but I reckon the medical assessment probably had a fair amount of weight in Dodoro and Essendon’s decision

If you’re unsure of the durability of a player, what better way than to have the surgeons confirm that his knees are structurally sound.

Either that or Essendon and the Saints couldn’t get approval from the AFL for their shenanigans :mrgreen:

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 09 Oct 2023 4:13pm
I’m just speculating, but I reckon the medical assessment probably had a fair amount of weight in Dodoro and Essendon’s decision

If you’re unsure of the durability of a player, what better way than to have the surgeons confirm that his knees are structurally sound.

Either that or Essendon and the Saints couldn’t get approval from the AFL for their shenanigans :mrgreen:
I think the history of Dodoro in trade week is here for all to see.
He, like nearly all Essendon supporters, overvalues everyone who wears the Red Sash and undervalues everyone who doesn't.
Everyone is a required player and, therefore, if you want them, you will have to pay through the nose.

FWIW, We got Gresham with a pick that we got from Essendon.
We gave up pick 5 and 24 and got Carlisle and pick 14 (which became 18)
Essendon drafted Aaron Francis with pick 5 and Alex Morgan with pick 24 (29).
Fair to say that we won that deal quite handsomely. And if we can now turn Gresh into a mid 1st round pick again, then we win again.