Discussion on moderation of the forum

The place to discuss issues with administrators and moderators. Suggestions welcome. All bans will be posted here and the banning appeals process will be held in this forum.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Discussion on moderation of the forum

Hi everyone,

I’ve created this thread as a place where people can raise and we can openly discuss any hot topics regarding questions, comments, concerns regarding how the forum is being run/moderated etc.

I’d like to direct these types of discussions here where possible and not detract from the topics on the main page. Happy to debate that point and whether or not this could/should be a sticky on the main page… but I figure you gotta start somewhere.

The goal here is to maintain transparency and have a consistent point of reference to what’s happening without shoving it down people’s throats. I considered the idea of a thread on the main page where I could list any mod actions but my gut says that’s a bad vibe!?

If you don’t feel comfortable raising an issue in an open forum (so to speak), please use the report function and I’ll follow up accordingly.

Just as a starting point…
I’ve read all of the outstanding reports (there were about 70). The majority I’ve closed as they are/were quite dated but I’ve left few open with the goal over the coming days, to follow up with particular forumites that have raised recurring issues.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: Discussion on moderation of the forum

how dare you delete my posts

Goodbye.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Sun 03 Sep 2023 1:17am how dare you delete my posts

Goodbye.
Some of the posts in that thread (not yours) were less than good natured and I felt like if I removed some that were off topic, i needed to remove all of them.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

gee I hope this doesn't accelerate the moral crusade...has a sniff of Saintsational for all ages 2.0 about it

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 03 Sep 2023 8:44pm gee I hope this doesn't accelerate the moral crusade...has a sniff of Saintsational for all ages 2.0 about it
Hi Vortex, thanks for the post.

Just for some context. I didn’t approach anything with a view of pushing morality. Having read all of the outstanding reports, I felt there at were a few reoccurring themes that would lead to more reports. I thought trying to adopt a preventative approach with the posts that were off topic would result in getting ahead of it but that was an erroneous decision and as stated in the thread, I both regret it and apologise to the forumites involved, yourself included. I don’t intend to utilise that approach moving forward.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 04 Sep 2023 12:08am
Vortex wrote: Sun 03 Sep 2023 8:44pm gee I hope this doesn't accelerate the moral crusade...has a sniff of Saintsational for all ages 2.0 about it
Hi Vortex, thanks for the post.

Just for some context. I didn’t approach anything with a view of pushing morality. Having read all of the outstanding reports, I felt there at were a few reoccurring themes that would lead to more reports. I thought trying to adopt a preventative approach with the posts that were off topic would result in getting ahead of it but that was an erroneous decision and as stated in the thread, I both regret it and apologise to the forumites involved, yourself included. I don’t intend to utilise that approach moving forward.
All good sceptic, the "preventative" and "proactive" comments seemed to indicate a certain mindset.

Simon killed this site with his "For All Ages" crusade and with his censoring and cancelling approach.

What Simon failed to realise, and I fear N1ck is Simon 2.0, is that the content of this site is generated by the posters, it is a town square and any attempt to control the content beyond obvious hate speech will further dilute the site to an even smaller group of ageing and intolerant men. This has been one of the issues keeping membership low and subsequently not attracting anyone new under the age of 50, arguably even older.

If you dont already, do yourself a favour and occasionally visit other footy AND sports forums to get a feel for how vibrant they are compared to ours. As desertsaint put it, conversation should be able to wander, ultimately it's the Saints that we coagulate around but even my match day experience includes non Saints banter and I'm certain that is the case for nearly all footy lovers.

In passing I think you are a good choice for a moderator.