Mitch Owens

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jackal
Club Player

Mitch Owens

posting for sh!T's and giggles.

And also to confirm that I'm mad.
But Mitch Owens tonight (and has previously) reminds me of a young Wayne Carey. Obviously plays up and over the ground more which is the way footy is played now. But he is huge in the air and keeps in the game as he comes to ground. From my memories this is how I remember how Carey dominated.
Either way. Great game tonight

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mitch Owens

Just needs to get his kicking in order. Few ordinary kicks that led to turnovers and missed the sticks all together..which I actually tipped….
But he is a gun and our future

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Brisbane watched him closely tonight. Which is a pretty big compliment for a player in his 29th game.

We have two fabulous young stars in NWM and Owens. And I have strong expectations for Phillipou, Windhager and Caminiti. The future looks more promising than it has done since 2003-04, although I fear that our window might close within 3-4 years given that a lot of our first team players are 27 or older.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Killa
Club Player

Thought he was absolutely stiff to be pinged holding the ball, taking it overhead and immediately tackled

Where was the prior opportunity?

But it was against Brisbane in Brisbane

King Max
Club Player

I think he's got a bit of Toby Greene about him. He just wants to be in every contest and never gives up.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Let’s hope these young stars are managed properly, I have faith that RTB will do that

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 8:59pm Thought he was absolutely stiff to be pinged holding the ball, taking it overhead and immediately tackled

Is prior opportunity actually mentioned in the rules? If so, do they mention an amount of time they are allowed?

I think this should be a very easy rule to make black & white.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

King Max wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 9:00pm I think he's got a bit of Toby Greene about him. He just wants to be in every contest and never gives up.
Good observation and a great compliment.

Saint supporter since '62
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 9:12pm
Killa wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 8:59pm Thought he was absolutely stiff to be pinged holding the ball, taking it overhead and immediately tackled

Is prior opportunity actually mentioned in the rules? If so, do they mention an amount of time they are allowed?

Under the 2021 release of the Laws of Australian Football, holding the football is covered by Law 18.6.[2] Four specific clauses apply, mostly depending upon how the player came to be in possession of the ball. The wording of these variations in the laws is as follows:

18.6.2 Holding the ball: Prior Opportunity – Where a Player in Possession of the Football has had Prior Opportunity, a field Umpire shall award a Free Kick if that Player does not Correctly Dispose of the football immediately when they are Legally Tackled.

A Prior Opportunity is defined in Law 1.1 (Definitions and Interpretation) as a player who has possession of the ball and:

(a) is balanced and steady; or
(b) attempts to evade or fend an opponent; or
(c) has taken a mark or been awarded a free kick; or
(d) has driven their head into a stationary or near stationary opponent

My 2 cents - swinging an arm to chop the tacklers arm should be considered a fend - ie if the player has enough time to take an action - they have enough time to dispose of the ball.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 10:06pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 9:12pm

Under the 2021 release of the Laws of Australian Football, holding the football is covered by Law 18.6.[2] Four specific clauses apply, mostly depending upon how the player came to be in possession of the ball. The wording of these variations in the laws is as follows:

18.6.2 Holding the ball: Prior Opportunity – Where a Player in Possession of the Football has had Prior Opportunity, a field Umpire shall award a Free Kick if that Player does not Correctly Dispose of the football immediately when they are Legally Tackled.

A Prior Opportunity is defined in Law 1.1 (Definitions and Interpretation) as a player who has possession of the ball and:

(a) is balanced and steady; or
(b) attempts to evade or fend an opponent; or
(c) has taken a mark or been awarded a free kick; or
(d) has driven their head into a stationary or near stationary opponent

My 2 cents - swinging an arm to chop the tacklers arm should be considered a fend - ie if the player has enough time to take an action - they have enough time to dispose of the ball.
Thanks, proves it's another wishy washy, subjective interpretation within our rules. A little like what counts as disposing of the ball correctly & judging "insufficient intent".

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I called during the game if he kicked the goal he gets the Rising Star award. He missed it.

seano1
Club Player

At times he looked a little sluggish..slow but he’s still young and another pre season into him and the other youngsters will be the making of them

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’ll shoot bambi again

Can he kick?

It’s never been discussed, but it looked mechanical and awkward imo
Windhager not great either.

Nothing on Higgins though
It’s a lottery when he gets a kick as to what happens

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 11:03pm I called during the game if he kicked the goal he gets the Rising Star award. He missed it.
Rising Star Awards are "nice to have"s at the end of the day - Premiership medallions are what they chase.

Also - Rising Stars get a heap of additional pressure.

I am happy with where Mitch is at.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 27 Aug 2023 12:34pm
Otiman wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 11:03pm I called during the game if he kicked the goal he gets the Rising Star award. He missed it.
Rising Star Awards are "nice to have"s at the end of the day - Premiership medallions are what they chase.

Also - Rising Stars get a heap of additional pressure.

I am happy with where Mitch is at.
I think Cheezel will win it, but Owens ultimately will be the better player.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Sheezel may win the Rising Star - but Owens is the only AFL player whose surname begins the Club Song.

Owens - The Saint - Go Marching In
Owens - The Saint - Go Marching In
Oh how I want to be with St Kilda.
When the Saints go marching in!

― Aristophanes

Saint_Singapore
Club Player

Wayne Carey / Adam Goodes / Toby Greene hybrid at a young age

Saint_Singapore
Club Player

Wayne Carey / Adam Goodes / Toby Greene hybrid at a young age

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Has talent, has a good tank, he's a bull when it comes to contested ball in the air and on the ground too...

But most importantly, the kid has heart and oodles of courage. Betya Lenny and his other coaches love him

Munga
Saintsational Legend

jackal wrote: Sat 26 Aug 2023 8:24pm But Mitch Owens tonight (and has previously) reminds me of a young Wayne Carey. Obviously plays up and over the ground more which is the way footy is played now. But he is huge in the air and keeps in the game as he comes to ground. From my memories this is how I remember how Carey dominated.
Yep. I said a similar thing back in April:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/ ... t-78936535
Not sure if anyone has made this comparison yet, but Carey? Not saying he's the next Carey, but just playing styles. Booming goals, clever goals, crashing pack marks and species, ground work, probably tackles better than Carey though. Can ruck.
Carey probably a more consistent kick at this stage.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"