Crows Chairman wants compensation

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mickey
Club Player

Crows Chairman wants compensation

Should I remind John Olsen and Mark Ricciuoto about a certain goal not given in the '97 preliminary final ? I'm sure Tony Liberatore would like a goal review ! Adelaide shouldn't have even been playing the Saints the following week. Cry me a river Crows. Also, talk about disrespecting the Eagles... they still had to beat them at home to make finals and we all know how good their away record is. Compensation ? Let's talk about the Hawkins goal in 2009 ..... seriously.

happy feet
Club Player

Re: Crows Chairman wants compensation

+1

Suck it up Crows, that’s sport and stuff like this happens. Move on.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
SaintWiki
Club Player

Couldn't of happened to a more deserving team but the decision should never have happened. If it's bad enough for the Goalie to be sacked* and the AFL openly admitting it happened - how in the hell wasn't it turned around, unless it was another AFL free gift to the Swans which has popped up at the pointy end of the season before ... I still remember the AFL Match Review Panel's free gift to the Swans when Goose McGuire** was seriously injured by nothing less than thuggery a long distance from the play.

* going by hearsay)

** edit
Last edited by SaintWiki on Tue 22 Aug 2023 4:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I think you’re talking about Barry Hall’s Iove tap to Goose in the prelim that was classified as “in the play” and not “behind play”?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Heard a good one just before on SEN.

They have fixture compensation from being 13th
They also have draft compensation from being 13th

So really he got what he asked for.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I will probably only receive brickbats for saying this, but I reckon the Crows bloody well should receive compensation, and so should any other team that misses out on the 8 because of the inexcusable conduct of the AFL that has put them in this situation: which might have been us, and still might be either the Giants or the Dogs.

Parallels with the 2009 GF are not relevant. Back then, everything depended on the judgement of the goal umpire. He got that one unbelievably wrong, but there wasn't really anything that could have been done to prevent that: he was an experienced umpire with a good record.

But on Saturday night, there was a review system in place which was apparently routinely used after every goal, but where the people operating it did not have the discretion to use it in other circumstances: apparently because the AFL believed that might slow down the game and make it less attractive to fans and viewers. The result has been seriously adverse consequences for a number of businesses: in particular, the affected clubs that will miss out on revenue and the opportunity to give finals experience their younger players.

it seems to me perfectly reasonable that the AFL should compensate those clubs for their losses. And more heads than that of the goal ump should roll.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Who did the bookies pay out on? Perhaps the winners could sling the Crows a few bucks.

Maybe make the Keays kick vision a major part of the promotion for the 2024 season. The goal post could become a tourist spot. Charge a fee.

Ah Adelaide, boring one day, stiff the next.
It's just not fair.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

We missed a certain home final due to that decision...

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
saynta
Saintsational Legend

f*** 'im.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Well seeing he can confidently say / predict what would have happened in the ensuing minute once the ball returned to the centre. I am sure the 13 to 1, he put his house on, for the Eagles to beat the Dogs, makes up for it.

Afterall, the game of AFL is so predictable.

Rubyjo
Club Player

If it was us ..what would we do...nothing probably ..

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Adelaide got gather round, that should compensate them nicely.

its bad enough that Port are playing finals.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 11:32am Adelaide got gather round, that should compensate them nicely.

its bad enough that Port are playing finals.
:lol: 8-)

ctqs
Club Player

I'll never forgive Crows supporters for the way they mocked us and rubbed our nose in it after the 97 GF, so this is a big dose of karma as far as I'm concerned. As for the Hawkins "goal" in the 09 GF, people forget Rooey soccered one through from the goalsquare late in the prelim that year, which the super slow-mo replay showed brushed the fingers of a Bulldogs player. The Hawkins goal was swings and roundabouts as far as I'm concerned. Plus had we kicked straight, it wouldn't have been an issue.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Didn’t we warrant a hard time from the Crows supporters back in 97? The way we disintegrated in the second half was a bit of a mockery. I’m sure we’d have given the Crows supporters quite a serve had the shoe been on the other foot.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Oh, and the Hawkins goal was a total farce. I can forgive officials for missing a fingertip touch on the ball. But the Hawkins kick slammed into the post and didn’t even cross the line. There’s no excuse for that. The umpire wasn’t paying proper attention. Shame on him.

- Jonathan Swift
saynta
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 12:57pm I'll never forgive Crows supporters for the way they mocked us and rubbed our nose in it after the 97 GF, so this is a big dose of karma as far as I'm concerned. As for the Hawkins "goal" in the 09 GF, people forget Rooey soccered one through from the goalsquare late in the prelim that year, which the super slow-mo replay showed brushed the fingers of a Bulldogs player. The Hawkins goal was swings and roundabouts as far as I'm concerned. Plus had we kicked straight, it wouldn't have been an issue.
I had a flight to catch immediately after that grannie loss in 1997. As fate would have it I ended up sitting next to a crows supporter who had a big grin on his face until I told him that one word from him and I would put his head through the plane window.

mickey
Club Player

My wife and I caught the overland over from Adelaide in '97. We went to family day the following day and it was great, highlight being Steven Sziller's haka and a photo with Banger. When we went to Spencer St to go back that night the train was full of Crows Supporters who decorated the carriages. Our worst nightmare !!! The good news was our carriage was full of Steven Sziller's mates so we drank with them and not one Crows supporter dared to say anything.

saintfreddy
Club Player

That poor decision could also cost us. Had Sydney lost, there would have been a small chance we lost 6th spot (home final) even if we lose against the Lions.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

If you pay Adelaide compensation because of an umpiring mistake, then we should ask for compensation for when they beat us by 52 points earlier in the season.
I am sure I could find an umpiring mistake at some point early in the game and can easily argue that I can predict the rest of the game just as well as the Adelaide chairman and by my reckoning we would have won.
He is arguing for an alternate timeline for compensation so I don't see why anyone else can't.