Phillipou

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Phillipou

Very good debut season from a bottom age player.
Enormous potential, could be a gun of the competition.

The question is how is he retaining his place in the team right now? He is looking ineffective and his stats show that.

The kid has worked his arse off all year and looks ready to be managed.

Am I harsh or do others think maybe Billings could be a viable alternative or another option?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Phillipou

Should not be in the side ahead of Billings
Billings is a 20ppg HF

Phillipou is a 10ppg HF

BadRossco
Club Player

On today’s performance at Sandy Jack Hayes could be a better option to either. With Ross injured and Pou off the pace could be a chance for both Hayes and Billings against the Lions and then go from 5here

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I dont think the styles of play are the same.

I think the selection committee base their selections on their expected outcomes.

Billings 20 ppg haven't really been much of an edge, very often.
At times, he kept us in games, but I dont recall him being a match winner.
Phillipou may well need a rest, but I'd be attempting to get as many kids blooded in finals football as possible.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

They should play all the fringe players next week. Then they can remove themselves from selector’s minds if they don’t perform

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Selection this year has been about whats best for 2024 and beyond. At some point we need to get greedy and focus on the now.

Getting a final into Pou at his age would be huge for his development, but don't expect more than 5 touches and a sneak goal.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Would be a real kick in the teeth to drop him now though. From memory, he’s played every game this season? Fancy being dropped just before finals. Especially after that big goal.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i'll take poo over billings thanks. especially in a final. prefer someone prepared to get hurt.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

SHOULD NOT BE DROPPED. He puts more stats up than the likes of Gresham or Byrnes. Remains in the side. Get him finals experience. Develop that hunger and that experience of finals. Billings can f*** off. Wasted pick. He was lazy when I played football with him in juniors and he’s still now.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

I point people to the third quarter, Geelong have goaled to get within 3 goals and they're coming.

Pou gets it around the centre under a bit of duress, he pivots and gives off a smart handball. He then reads the play, as the ball is kicked inside 50 and runs hard to the right spot, when the mark spills at the contest, he's front and centre. He takes it cleanly, turns on a 5 cent piece and bang, executes a 40 metre snap, never in doubt, no movement needed from the Goal Umpire.

The kid is a gun and could win you a Final in a few minutes. He plays.

EDIT: Just watched the highlights.

Before winning the footy, leading to his goal, as I mentioned above. He impacted and aerial contest at half back, allowing Marshall to volley the ball into the centre towards Owens, he powered on and was there when Owens received it. Owens gave it to Sharman, Sharman a sloppy handball to Pou and the rest is as I described above. He impacted 2 contests, gut run 100-120 metres before roving the pack and kicking that goal. Deep in the third quarter. And some say he needs a rest!

Then he sets up the sealer early in the Final quarter, when he crumbs the pack and under pressure gets it out to Owens, who handballs to Higgins, game over.

He earns his spot.
Last edited by The G Train Legacy on Mon 21 Aug 2023 6:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

happy feet
Club Player

I think he should retain his spot. We have obviously made a decision to stick with the kid all year so we may as well keep going.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Billings is neither lazy or lacks courage

Perhaps look at a mark he took running back with the flight vs North last year.

Difference between being an outsider and being soft.

You DO NOT play 150 league games if you’re soft or lazy

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 6:22pm Billings is neither lazy or lacks courage

Agree with you, I rate Billings, but he doesn't replace Phillipou.

He should and probably will come in as Sub.

I see him as a better option than Gresham as a small forward, I just think he's a better and more skilled player who knows where the goals are. Howver there's been nothing wrong with Gresham's form the last 2 weeks, so he won't be getting dropped.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Billings should definitely be in the team ahead of Gresh, Higgins and Pou.

I like Pou and he’ll be a star, but he looks tired and his return isn’t high enough at this moment.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 6:22pm Billings is neither lazy or lacks courage

100% this.

Billings busts his ass and throws his body in consistently. People seem to have it in for him because he is a highly skilled outside player but hasn't proven to be elite.

Billings is still a B grade player at worst and imo a genuine a grade player.

Problem for him is we have a lot of depth in his position(s) (HFF and Wing)

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 9:43pm The question is how is he retaining his place in the team right now? He is looking ineffective and his stats show that.
Season. Of. Exploration. Literally, right in front of our eyes.

When the heat was on the last couple of weeks it was Mitch Owens into the middle. We're seeing what these kids can do, in tough moments, results be damned.

Laurie
Club Player

Definitely Pou ahead of Billings who has had his chances but at best a sub player and not in our best 22.
Stick with the young guns they are our future.

Laurie
Club Player

Definitely Pou ahead of Billings who has had his chances but at best a sub player and not in our best 22.
Stick with the young guns they are our future.

Killa
Club Player

The reputation Phillipou has, as a bottom age player in his first season, is that he is selected every week.

And, he is part of the mid-field rotations including a presence at centre bounces.

He is getting himself into position, has quick hands and a career defining break out game is very close.

Then watch this space.

We are fortunate at present in that we have the likes of Coffield, Billings, Hayes, Caminiti and Byrnes putting pressure on the Senior side.

Plus Howard to return.

Yes, some of those are too good to be playing VFL, but injuries have conspired against them and those who are occupying positions in the Senior side are performing to a level which says they can not be dropped.

Confirmation of that is that St Kilda will be playing football in September.

What a difference a win makes, hey?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Phillipou looks lost at CB

I’ve not yet seen him touch the footy at a centre clearance

He’s going to be a fine player

But really, if he wasn’t tagged as a high potential player and was rated on actual output- he’d be criticised

In other words
If Billings, Byrnes, Hill or Gresham were averaging 10ppg and half a goal we’d be calling for them to get dropped.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 7:46pm Phillipou looks lost at CB

But really, if he wasn’t tagged as a high potential player and was rated on actual output- he’d be criticised

In other words
If Billings, Byrnes, Hill or Gresham were averaging 10ppg and half a goal we’d be calling for them to get dropped.
Agree re the comparison to the other players that said if my grandma had wheels she would have been a bike.

Reality is he is a high potential young player and the others are not- at least not to the same extent.

Fwiw I've seen some pretty clever deft touches and quick hands around the stoppages.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 8:18pm

In other words
Agree re the comparison to the other players that said if my grandma had wheels she would have been a bike.

Reality is he is a high potential young player and the others are not- at least not to the same extent.

Fwiw I've seen some pretty clever deft touches and quick hands around the stoppages.
More to the point - If he was born 5 days later - HE WOULD NOT EVEN BE ON AN AFL LIST

We are lucky to have him - and to get him at pick 10.

Put him in this years draft crop and he is a standout.

He is a boy playing against men - give him a proper Pre-season as an 18 yo not a 17 yo and 4 days (at 1/1/23)

What were you guys doing at 17????

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
repta
Club Player

Billings day is done.
Has good skills and balance but has incrediably slow decision making. Eg everytime he takes a mark he goes back behind the mark. Ends uo slowing the game ti a stand still.

Phillipou needs time.to develop. The week before finals will be good as he looks sore and tired. He would benfit long term from finals action.

I would give Hayes a go this week

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Pou has been carried for a good chunk of the year to fast track his development. No better time to gain experience and enhance development than September. I do think that he shouldn't be played in the midfield during a final but keep him on as a high half forward.

We'll get a lot more value in the long run out of Pou playing a final and getting 10 touches than Billings playing and getting 18

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 9:20pm
nostalgicsaint wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 8:18pm

In other words

More to the point - If he was born 5 days later - HE WOULD NOT EVEN BE ON AN AFL LIST

We are lucky to have him - and to get him at pick 10.

Put him in this years draft crop and he is a standout.

He is a boy playing against men - give him a proper Pre-season as an 18 yo not a 17 yo and 4 days (at 1/1/23)

What were you guys doing at 17????
He was already 18 at 1/1/23 ..... born in 2004

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!