5 lowest ranked players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

5 lowest ranked players

Yes, it was the mids lack of production that killed us - we could not win a stoppage

But I have questions over the following players who are CONSTANTLY in our lowest ranked players

Ryan Byrnes - as a winger 12 possessions
Mattaus Phillipou- 8 possessions 3 marks at HF
Cooper Sharman - 11 possessions 2 Marks 0 goals 1 tackle
Anthony Caminiti - 10 possessions 2 Marks 0 goals
Zaine Cordy - 7 possessions (at least he played back)

I’m not sure any of those are up to it at the moment

Phillipou and Caminiti are clearly young

Byrnes is limited

Cordy is only just a GOP

Sharman is also very limited

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: 5 lowest ranked players

3 of your 5 are 1st or 2nd year players ….
1 just turned 19
What is your point???
Why not go a bit deeper on our “senior stars”
Aka man of Steele

5 disposals in a second half with zero touches in the last quarter
16 centre bounce attendances with one clearance

Easier to pick out kids I guess
I notice your posting goes through the roof after a loss…ole misery guts loves a good Saints pile on?

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I thought I stated they were young

And I did say - at the moment

If we look at their actual output over the year - forget the ages and names just purely their output- it’s not AFL standard
Going purely on the numbers

Key forwards that average less than 4 marks and a goal per game
Half Forwards that average 10ppg and less than a goal

The only forwards that are actually up to it are
Higgins and Butler and Owens probably when he plays there

It’s hard to win games with 3 of your 6 forwards not really contributing

Mids
Crouch - has been very good
Steele - struggling a bit
Who was the third tonight?
Owens, Clark, Gresham, Sinclair all rolled through weren’t at all effective

I think Ross is way off using Windhager at HB - stupid decision

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 10:35pm Yes, it was the mids lack of production that killed us - we could not win a stoppage

But I have questions over the following players who are CONSTANTLY in our lowest ranked players

Byrnes is limited

Cordy is only just a GOP

Obviously Pou and Cammers are 1st year players so they've got time on their hands.

Zain is clearly going to get anyone sacked still at the club who was involved in allowing him to be offered 3 years.

Sharman turns 24 next year and is not in the young category and was always was a highly speculative pick due to our issues with a talls shortage but his contract end this season and wont be renewed now Camaniti has gone past him as a like prospect, not to say Caminiti has made, just that is' clear he's got more tools to work with.

Was Byrnes offered a multi year deal? I'd be shocked and disappointed if that is the case, he is a fringe depth player

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Mason Wood.

11 turnovers!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

The sooner Hill goes the better. He is probably one of the most experienced players we have and probably the highest paid. He can't kick anymore. He gets tackled way too often and it is always holding the ball.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 11:01pm Mason Wood.

11 turnovers!
yeah his kicking has been an unusual liability the last few weeks, what's up with that because he's usually reasonably efficient.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Agree on Sharman. I was a big fan but if you can't hold the bread and butter marks, what's the point of trying to win a car?

We seriously have some duds in our team and, yet, we really don't have anyone of quality to come back in - only Billings and Membrey (who seem to be well off the pace) and Jones who is injured again.

Byrne's handballs today were f****** ridiculous, Wood's kicking was atrocious and, as I said Hill can't hit a target anymore (unless they are wearing opposition jumpers). Then the young ones like Caminiti and Sharman are not much chop. Higgins' kicking. Gresham??

And worst of all, those Carlscum "supporters" today at the ground were an absolute f****** disgrace. f*** I hate those c***s.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 10:35pm Yes, it was the mids lack of production that killed us - we could not win a stoppage

Byrnes is limited

Cordy is only just a GOP

CAN EVERYONE STOP KNOCKING ON PHILLIPOU FFS!!!!

The kid is the youngest player in the comp… IN THE COMP. hes 18 years old. He kicked a f****** goal. Like give him a break. He’s building. He’s on par with Bont and Fyfe for stats. Just let the kid develop.

There’s more important people to get shitty over like Gresham - couldn’t bail a set shot to save his life, Byrnes getting towelled up on the wing by a 19 year old, Sharman couldn’t even clunk a mark, Steele disappeared like Houdini in the second half.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Byrnes is the most overrated player on the list at the moment.

Has way too many games where he can’t get near it.

It’s why I’d rather try harder with a guy like Bytel. Sure Bytel is not a winger but can he do any worse going into the Centre here and there vs a winger than can’t get near it

sks023
Club Player

Phillipou is developing right before our eyes and needs to play every week regardless of his stats

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 9:00am Byrnes is the most overrated player on the list at the moment.

It’s why I’d rather try harder with a guy like Bytel. Sure Bytel is not a winger but can he do any worse going into the Centre here and there vs a winger than can’t get near it
I know you’re a Bytel fan Skeptic but Bytel is way off the pace and not going to make it either, he’s really good at VFL level but just a step off it when at AFL.

Agree on Byrnes though, I heard that he was given a multi year dear a few weeks which if true concerns me greatly and not a good start for Lyon and what he values.

Bytel probably gets a chance this week but he probably needs Bytel to get dropped which is highly likely but they aren’t like for like. If he gets a shot he needs to have a breakout game because he’s running out of time to change minds.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Byrnes is limited

Cordy is only just a GOP

Mostly agree with you there. Cordy and Byrnes are not AFL standard. The others are kids. Be nice if a couple of them could snag some of those attempted marks though.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 11:08pm Agree on Sharman. I was a big fan but if you can't hold the bread and butter marks, what's the point of trying to win a car?

We seriously have some duds in our team and, yet, we really don't have anyone of quality to come back in - only Billings and Membrey (who seem to be well off the pace) and Jones who is injured again.

Byrne's handballs today were f****** ridiculous, Wood's kicking was atrocious and, as I said Hill can't hit a target anymore (unless they are wearing opposition jumpers). Then the young ones like Caminiti and Sharman are not much chop. Higgins' kicking. Gresham??

And worst of all, those Carlscum "supporters" today at the ground were an absolute f****** disgrace. f*** I hate those c***s.
I hear you brother.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 9:30am
skeptic wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 9:00am Byrnes is the most overrated player on the list at the moment.

I know you’re a Bytel fan Skeptic but Bytel is way off the pace and not going to make it either, he’s really good at VFL level but just a step off it when at AFL.

Agree on Byrnes though, I heard that he was given a multi year dear a few weeks which if true concerns me greatly and not a good start for Lyon and what he values.

Bytel probably gets a chance this week but he probably needs Bytel to get dropped which is highly likely but they aren’t like for like. If he gets a shot he needs to have a breakout game because he’s running out of time to change minds.
This was less about Bytel making it but rather a commentary on the role inflexibility that can be an RTB staple. In the end, it may all be as effective as shuffling deck chairs on the titanic… but the approach that sees one player get ample opportunities and another get very limited has always really bothered me.
Say what you will RE Bytel, he could only have contributed at least what Byrnes has with the same opportunity. I’d always take the gamble with the player earning opportunity vs the one squandering it

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 9:48am

This was less about Bytel making it but rather a commentary on the role inflexibility that can be an RTB staple. In the end, it may all be as effective as shuffling deck chairs on the titanic… but the approach that sees one player get ample opportunities and another get very limited has always really bothered me.
Say what you will RE Bytel, he could only have contributed at least what Byrnes has with the same opportunity. I’d always take the gamble with the player earning opportunity vs the one squandering it
Should get a call up this week, if he doesn’t I think you’ll know what RTB is thinking with regards to his future at the Saints. As I say he’s fast running out of time to change minds so let’s hope he gets selected and can have a breakout game.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

B.M wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 10:49pm I thought I stated they were young

If we look at their actual output over the year - forget the ages and names just purely their output- it’s not AFL standard

Mids

Are you able to think just a little deeper than mere disposals are fvckig ranking points?

There's a reason Windhager is at half back. It's so that Sinclair can play more midfield because Ross knows how diabolically sh1tful our midfield group (see Q4 last week) is and he's trying to get some class in there. Sinclair is wasted at half back when we're so poor at stoppages.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Jacks Back wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 11:08pm Agree on Sharman. I was a big fan but if you can't hold the bread and butter marks, what's the point of trying to win a car?

Plus 1 for the Carlscum supporters today. In the Members Social Club areas there were whole rows of them. Vile fvcking cvnts they were. Massive rant letter going to the club's membership department today - why pay $600 a year to be surrounded by that sh1t at your home game. I might as well just buy a L3 GA ticket

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 10:40am

Should get a call up this week, if he doesn’t I think you’ll know what RTB is thinking with regards to his future at the Saints. As I say he’s fast running out of time to change minds so let’s hope he gets selected and can have a breakout game.
Bytel is miles away from being an AFL midfielder. Clean but slow and doesn't cover the ground at all.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Byrnes is limited

Cordy is only just a GOP

Sharman had a really good game I thought, so I don't know where you're coming from there. Phillipou doesn't waste the footy when he gets it, is dangerous and is having to play as a tall forward at the moment. You keep playing Phillipou, he will be a star. The quicker we get him to 50-70 games the better. Caminiti is playing out of necessity, with King available and Sharman's form, if Membrey were fully fit and firing, then Caminiti would probably get a spell at Sandy. Nonetheless the kid is a 19 yo big forward who hasn't yet had a full pre-season. He will be a quality big forward for us. As with Phillipou, the quicker we get 50-70 games into him, Owens, Windhager and NWM the better. Cordy is covering for Howard.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 11:01pm Mason Wood.

11 turnovers!
Most of them lace up and between the nipples. He had a dirty day.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 10:38pm 3 of your 5 are 1st or 2nd year players ….
1 just turned 19
What is your point???
Aka man of Steele

I notice your posting goes through the roof after a loss…ole misery guts loves a good Saints pile on?
None of the players BM listed played in the midfield, with the exception of Phillipou for about 2 minutes and Byrnes on a wing. The game was lost in the midfield where we were obliterated from about midway through the 3rd quarter, after having dominated there in the first half. All senior players.

As Rossy said in his Presser. We're fine behind the ball, we;re fine ahead of the ball, it's in the middle where we have problems.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 11:37am
Vortex wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 10:40am

Bytel is miles away from being an AFL midfielder. Clean but slow and doesn't cover the ground at all.
Totally agree, was just suggesting he might get one last chance this week if Lyon applies selection integrity and drops a midfielder based on yesterdays disappointing performance by our midfielders.

So I’m saying if Bytel gets a game this week it’s because of team rules more than it is about Bytels future because I’m very confident his papers were stamped much earlier in the season.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 11:58am
Teflon wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 10:38pm 3 of your 5 are 1st or 2nd year players ….
1 just turned 19
What is your point???
Aka man of Steele

None of the players BM listed played in the midfield, with the exception of Phillipou for about 2 minutes and Byrnes on a wing. The game was lost in the midfield where we were obliterated from about midway through the 3rd quarter, after having dominated there in the first half. All senior players.

As Rossy said in his Presser. We're fine behind the ball, we;re fine ahead of the ball, it's in the middle where we have problems.
Good post agree
Marty just loves a pile on …kids easy prey
Real issues in midfield with senior leaders
He doesn’t go near that tho
It’s like Vort - let’s blame Shane a 24 year old baby in year 2 AFL footy terms 🤔

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 11:29am
B.M wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 10:49pm I thought I stated they were young

Mids

Are you able to think just a little deeper than mere disposals are fvckig ranking points?

There's a reason Windhager is at half back. It's so that Sinclair can play more midfield because Ross knows how diabolically sh1tful our midfield group (see Q4 last week) is and he's trying to get some class in there. Sinclair is wasted at half back when we're so poor at stoppages.
Great post
It’s like people saying
“Should play Bytel get rid of Byrnes…”
They ain’t even like for like FMD

“Yeah….nah””