Spewing we need to celebrate

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rubyjo
Club Player

Spewing we need to celebrate

Spud killing himself and leaving behind 3 daughters and a wife ....what is wrong with this club...blows my mind we even go there ..there is no benefit to this .does not raise awareness just brings everyone down because of a selfish f****** act on spuds behalf

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Spewing we need to celebrate

Harsh, even offensive, but I don't disagree that the Male Depression/Kumbayai Game has been a demonstrable disaster for us.

saintkev
Club Player

Just like the lack of pride game.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Rubyjo wrote: Fri 23 Jun 2023 9:35pm Spud killing himself and leaving behind 3 daughters and a wife ....what is wrong with this club...blows my mind we even go there ..there is no benefit to this .does not raise awareness just brings everyone down because of a selfish f****** act on spuds behalf
I thought this place couldn’t get any lower, but I was wrong.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Rubyjo wrote: Fri 23 Jun 2023 9:35pm Spud killing himself and leaving behind 3 daughters and a wife ....what is wrong with this club...blows my mind we even go there ..there is no benefit to this .does not raise awareness just brings everyone down because of a selfish f****** act on spuds behalf
I have no words.

I can’t believe this post.

This is the lowest point of this site. Sad

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ridiculous and idiotic proposition.

The result of the game has nothing to do with why the club is trying to do.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
amusingname
Club Player

Sorry you were ‘brought down’ by recognizing a legend of the clubs tragic struggle with mental health. I presume you refuse to attend any memorials or funerals because you don’t want to feel a bit crap for the afternoon.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Rubyjo is entitled to her opinion.

You don't agree with her, but can you name another club- AFL, NRL, A-League soccer, or any league around the world, that has done something similar.

There was an English soccer team in the 60s that lost half their team in a plane crash.

There was that horrible fire at an English soccer ground in the 70s where hundreds of fans were crushed to death or burned.
Not sure how they remember that one or whether they dedicate any games in memory of that tragedy.

Look at Port Adelaide with their player's wife that's got cancer. They highlight that a bit but not OTT.

One last one- Jim Stynes. The Demons don't make a massive fuss over him, do they?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

My only problem with the night is in the first two games we honoured spuds memory by playing like spuds.
This year with RtB in charge I thought we'd play differently but no , once again we played like spuds.
I'm sure next year teams will be lining up to play us in Spuds Game as they'll know they can pencil in a win .

In red white and black from 73
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

You've won the trophy. You have 2 options for the engraving. Fwit fan of the Year or Number 1 d**khead ticket holder

Come to the DFC on Monday to collect your prize and a few of Danny's mates will be waiting for you...

Borat
Club Player

My good friend please drive car off cliff so then we have special game for you. NOT :mrgreen:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

If only rubyjo was around a few years ago to tell Spud to “cheer up” and cure his mental health issues!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
amusingname
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 24 Jun 2023 2:12am Rubyjo is entitled to her opinion.

You don't agree with her, but can you name another club- AFL, NRL, A-League soccer, or any league around the world, that has done something similar.

There was an English soccer team in the 60s that lost half their team in a plane crash.

There was that horrible fire at an English soccer ground in the 70s where hundreds of fans were crushed to death or burned.
Not sure how they remember that one or whether they dedicate any games in memory of that tragedy.

Look at Port Adelaide with their player's wife that's got cancer. They highlight that a bit but not OTT.

One last one- Jim Stynes. The Demons don't make a massive fuss over him, do they?
The demons apparently have a round for reach in memory of Jim Stynes: https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/129 ... art-change

I don’t think port would be doing something for Jeremy Finlaysons wife, especially as she is still alive and fighting cancer, and is apparently adamant that Jeremy keep playing and keep things as normal as possible for the family.

The hillsborough disaster and Munich air disaster have regular memorial ceremonies and are very much a big deal for Liverpool and Man U respectively.

Spuds death is a somewhat unique one, someone who had been open about some struggles with mental health, was still very much in the public eye and synonymous with the club and his family have spearheaded discussions about mental health and has a new wellness centre in his name which needs funding.

The closest thing I could think of was NFL great Junior Seau, who took his own life and was suffering from depression thought to be from CTE, but not sure if that was known until after his death.

Club Player

The way that Rubyjo worded the posting was poor but so are some of the responses. It's curious the indignation shown to Rubyjo because of some disrespect (through the wording) shown to a club favourite. Yet, when I posted that the club away jumper should not be called the Crusader jumper I was told my post was woke bulls***. Look at the similarity between the jumper and the Knights Templars. Around 1.7 million people died as a result of the Crusades and yet our club is dumb enough to market the jumper accordingly.

Finna
Club Player

I wonder if this actually helps people with mental health...placing a focus on the problem? Do men and women with mental health issues actually benefit from this?

How is it that it is always our club in a theme round.
Maddie match
Spud game
Pride round
Blue ribbon
China... I probably missed some.
They even painted a German flag on our jumper under the guise of indigenous round....

Why can't we just play football...

I am beginning to wonder if Lethlean is part of this...working to use our club for AFL agenda's.

That's what happens when you have large debts... You become the creditors bitch...

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
amusingname
Club Player

Finna wrote: Sat 24 Jun 2023 12:32pm I wonder if this actually helps people with mental health...placing a focus on the problem? Do men and women with mental health issues actually benefit from this?

Maddie match
Spud game
Pride round
Blue ribbon
They even painted a German flag on our jumper under the guise of indigenous round....

I am beginning to wonder if Lethlean is part of this...working to use our club for AFL agenda's.

That's what happens when you have large debts... You become the creditors bitch...
I have worked around the edges of these campaigns for government and other organizations and the research all says yes, it does help. Bringing awareness to a stigmatized issue such as depression or mental illness does help those who struggle with that, as it gives an opening to discuss with their close circle more than anything, which otherwise may not come up.

Also, do you really think the players are distracted by these games? A few do media or photo shoots during the week, 2 minutes at the start of the game (which the opposition also take part in, why don’t they get distracted).

If we had these games during the time we were making grand finals, we probably would have won them and it wouldn’t be an issue.

Finna
Club Player

amusingname wrote: Sat 24 Jun 2023 12:48pm
Finna wrote: Sat 24 Jun 2023 12:32pm I wonder if this actually helps people with mental health...placing a focus on the problem? Do men and women with mental health issues actually benefit from this?

Maddie match
Spud game
Pride round
Blue ribbon

I have worked around the edges of these campaigns for government and other organizations and the research all says yes, it does help. Bringing awareness to a stigmatized issue such as depression or mental illness does help those who struggle with that, as it gives an opening to discuss with their close circle more than anything, which otherwise may not come up.

Also, do you really think the players are distracted by these games? A few do media or photo shoots during the week, 2 minutes at the start of the game (which the opposition also take part in, why don’t they get distracted).

If we had these games during the time we were making grand finals, we probably would have won them and it wouldn’t be an issue.
Tell me...how does it help? What does the research say? I know many who suffer from mental health and this game or 'public awareness' has not helped them at all. Please... Enlighten me...

Your comment about grand final years just validates the point I am making....we were successful, not in debt and we weren't playing 'themed' matches or involving our FOOTBALL CLUB in social and political agenda's...and we made grand finals.
Last edited by Finna on Sat 24 Jun 2023 12:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Maddie match
Spud game
Pride round
Blue ribbon

Don’t wonder. That’s exactly what’s going on and has been for a long long time. Whether it’s Lethlean or any other muppet (see Finnis), when you get the masses of dipshits focusing on the circus events, it takes the spotlight off the real issues. See Australia & the world, same results.

Finna
Club Player

Annoyedsaint wrote: Sat 24 Jun 2023 12:58pm

Maddie match
Spud game
Pride round
Blue ribbon

Don’t wonder. That’s exactly what’s going on and has been for a long long time. Whether it’s Lethlean or any other muppet (see Finnis), when you get the masses of dipshits focusing on the circus events, it takes the spotlight off the real issues. See Australia & the world, same results.
Yes, our club and the AFL is just like any corporation... a tool for people with power to use to control many minds

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Finna wrote: Sat 24 Jun 2023 1:06pm

Maddie match
Spud game
Pride round
Blue ribbon

Yes, our club and the AFL is just like any corporation... a tool for people with power to use to control many minds
*control the weak minded that can’t think for themselves.

Saints supporters in general are happy to lose, but feel warm and fuzzy about all the irrelevant things a football club shouldn’t be involved in. The best part is, they wouldn’t have anything to do with any of these things in everyday life.

Extend that to Carlton & Essendon of the traditional clubs that have gone down this path, look at their results as well over a long period.

How about we just fkn win for once. A hard concept for a football club I know….

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

1971 wrote: Sat 24 Jun 2023 11:44am The way that Rubyjo worded the posting was poor but so are some of the responses. It's curious the indignation shown to Rubyjo because of some disrespect (through the wording) shown to a club favourite. Yet, when I posted that the club away jumper should not be called the Crusader jumper I was told my post was woke bulls***. Look at the similarity between the jumper and the Knights Templars. Around 1.7 million people died as a result of the Crusades and yet our club is dumb enough to market the jumper accordingly.
Yeah nah not getting that link
Crusade jumpers a rippa
Bombs in wars kills lots people
I don’t think Bombers should change

“Yeah….nah””
amusingname
Club Player

Finna wrote: Sat 24 Jun 2023 12:57pm
amusingname wrote: Sat 24 Jun 2023 12:48pm

Maddie match
Spud game
Pride round
Blue ribbon

Tell me...how does it help? What does the research say? I know many who suffer from mental health and this game or 'public awareness' has not helped them at all. Please... Enlighten me...

Your comment about grand final years just validates the point I am making....we were successful, not in debt and we weren't playing 'themed' matches or involving our FOOTBALL CLUB in social and political agenda's...and we made grand finals.
I was not involved in the research, only briefed on the main takeaways. Basically it was that public discussion of mental illness makes someone who has not reached out for help or discussed with their loved ones/close circle more likely to do so and can have an early intervention impact which stops things escalating in comparison to someone not discussing their issues.

To your last point, we didn’t have an ex club captain pass away from suicide and the sister of the longest serving die during that time, so you can’t really say we wouldn’t have done similar in that time.

Finna
Club Player

Annoyedsaint wrote: Sat 24 Jun 2023 1:18pm
Finna wrote: Sat 24 Jun 2023 1:06pm

Maddie match
Spud game
Pride round
Blue ribbon

*control the weak minded that can’t think for themselves.

Saints supporters in general are happy to lose, but feel warm and fuzzy about all the irrelevant things a football club shouldn’t be involved in. The best part is, they wouldn’t have anything to do with any of these things in everyday life.

Extend that to Carlton & Essendon of the traditional clubs that have gone down this path, look at their results as well over a long period.

How about we just fkn win for once. A hard concept for a football club I know….
Or course...its more important to appear politically correct than win games of AFL....