I think RTB has a test on front of him!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think RTB has a test on front of him!

Byrnes started the season well and has gone up a level from struggling to be competitive to he can play at the level but consistency is an issue.

Right now he’s stagnated. 10 touches and little influence last night was a very poor effort on a recent background of really struggling to impact games.
From what I can see… his game is all about getting numbers and moving the ball forward but
a) his disposal isn’t the least bit dangerous to an outright liability at times
b) he doesn’t have a second string to his bow. Not a great tagger, doesn’t kick many goals,

Kid really needs a spell IMO. For sure I’d go back to Bytel when fit and even Paton would be worth another go as a tagger

Caminati also hasn’t been close to the same player since returning from suspension/sharing with King. Expectations have never been overly high but at the moment he’s not getting to anywhere near enough contests. Has had a couple of weeks of being close to invisible.
IMO I’d drop him below Sharman for a bit.

But then you had the added problem…
Gresh, Ross and Higgins are fading in and out of games too much.

Ross was absolutely invisible when Richmond got on too yesterday… then he spearheaded the comeback in the third quarter and almost single handily got us back in before slowing down again

Gresh was decent in the first 1/2 then vanished

Higgins had a miserable 2 goal game albeit it was tough conditions for his style. Kid needs to find a way to stay involved like Butler does even when not kicking goals.

Then you have Steele and Wood who have been ok’ish and have reasonable numbers but are well on what they’re capable of

Personally… rather than persevere through this stretch of ineffectiveness, I’d like to see RTB swing the axe a bit. Doesn’t need to be wholesale changes but I reckon at least 2-3 changes to keep players on their toes is in order.

Saint2
Club Player

Re: I think RTB has a test on front of him!

The fairy dust has worn off

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yep

Fair to say out coached last night?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Bloody oath he does.

I think we’re in danger of losing at least 3 of the next 4. Even WCE isn’t a cert, as we’ll likely be playing them when they’re due for a win.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

I have us losing the next 4 but still making finals.

Agree re Bytel in particular.

My changes this week.

Out: Byrne's, Cammaniti, Steele (injured)
In: Paton, Sharman, Bytel

Butler, King, Gresh
Pou, Owens, Higgins
Wood, Windy, Hill
Sinclair, Battle, Milera
Webster. Howard, Wilkie

Marshall
Crouch
Bytel

Paton, Sharman, Stocker, Ross

Highmore (Sub)

If Steele plays then Bytel becomes sub.

Stocker only just holding out Highmore.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I would drop Gresham for Peris, I think Peris would excel in the quicker more expansive games at Marvel. Bring in Paton to play bp and give Stocker a run in the midfield. Move Sinclair to a full time mid role also and Ross to his hbf. Howard gets to reprieve himself simply because he is the best match up for Daniher. Sharman to start and Bytel as sub. Rest Steele & Caminiti.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Being outcoached by McQualter would have to sting. But RTB isn't renowned for his flexibility.

On a couple of occasions RTB has claimed that the squad is giving maximum effort. He's effectively patting himself on the back because he coaches effort.

So if it's not effort, what accounts for the lapse in form? Players who lack skill. Players who are plain dumb. That, I think, is what he and SOS have decided ois the problem.

Caminiti definitely needs a spell in the rezzies, probably Byrnes too, and Howard's only saving grace is his size.

Sanctorum
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 18 Jun 2023 2:01pm
Personally… rather than persevere through this stretch of ineffectiveness, I’d like to see RTB swing the axe a bit. Doesn’t need to be wholesale changes but I reckon at least 2-3 changes to keep players on their toes is in order.
Well might they swing the axe skeptic, but I can't think of anyone playing in the seconds who are likely to improve the side, the cupboard is pretty bare :(

By and large the current team that has achieved 8 wins from 13 matches has done reasonably well, it's been deplorable execution with the ball that has let them down and that has bugged them all year.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 18 Jun 2023 4:53pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 18 Jun 2023 2:01pm
Well might they swing the axe skeptic, but I can't think of anyone playing in the seconds who are likely to improve the side, the cupboard is pretty bare :(

By and large the current team that has achieved 8 wins from 13 matches has done reasonably well, it's been deplorable execution with the ball that has let them down and that has bugged them all year.
I don’t disagree. But… sometimes the value in such things is in the message they send to the squad.
For Sharman, Bytel, Peris, Highmore etc it could be look how hard you’ve had to work to get in, do everything you can to stay in because they’ll fight back

For the guys that get dropped… it’s a real clear elevate your performance… it’s not enough just to try

For the guys way off… it’s the opportunity is there if you’re prepared to keep doing the work. Breads a good culture.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Tony74. discretely, how's the harmony in the coaches' box.
Are there any non negotiables that get a player dropped regardless of their theoretical value to the "structure".
Seems we are being consistently out coached and letting same bad habits go unchecked. And in denial about the form of a few.
How are things in paradise?

Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

I hate seeing Owens in the ruck as others have pointed out. Is RTB just hanging out for Hayes to get right? Can he fill the back up role and add a dimension to make the forward line look more potent with more grunt?

Saints Footy - Let all others follow.
Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

I hate seeing Owens in the ruck as others have pointed out. Is RTB just hanging out for Hayes to get right? Can he fill the back up role and add a dimension to make the forward line look more potent with more grunt?

Saints Footy - Let all others follow.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Round 14 2022 St.KFC 8th on the ladder same points as 6th placed, 1082 points for 955 points against 113.3%. 32 points.
Round 14 2023 St.KFC 5th on the ladder same points as 6th placed, 1039 points for 919 points against 113.1%. 32 points.
2023 = 4% worse offence 4% better defence. All square.
What was all the fuss about a new coach/panel and the heartbreak for Ratts all about. Worth it? Too early to judge?
Is there going to be a second half surge. Please.
President drafting you can't build Rome in a day letter ........have to go back to go forward. At the time appeared a good thing, urgers you know, GT et al.
Waiting, not so patient, but. Certainly having doubts.
Comforting that its all part of the plan that is going to script, forget results, look to the future, the draft. OK, fair enough.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 18 Jun 2023 2:58pm I have us losing the next 4 but still making finals.
If we lose to West Coast, we are not making finals.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

You want to see how players react to pressure and form. I can see how playing out of form players gives you a better idea as to their level. Better to know early than have someone in and out of the side on form for the next 4+ years.

The coaches box might be a case of too many chiefs not enough indians.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

We’d almost beat Richmond - remember that. 4 chances went begging 🙏 at the final stanza.

We stayed in the game, remained competitive. It’s a good sign.

That said, how can we win again in the next month.

There could be a hiding in store for us and there could be a remarkable rear guard action. If we can follow instructions and execute.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

RTB- "they're so coachable"

Why did he say that.
If that's true, then they follow instructions but are hopeless in disposal

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 20 Jun 2023 6:10pm RTB- "they're so coachable"

Why did he say that.
Maybe you just can’t make chocolates out of boiled lollies?
I guess you just have to try. I’m happy that we have RTB as the alchemist

Sanctorum
Club Player

He's said that quite a few times WS, I think because he has enormous respect from the players, having taken the team to two grand finals in his previous stint. It's also very likely that the past players from that era, like BJ, Dal and others who are at the club regularly have sung his praises.

Your comment that they follow the coaches' instructions but let themselves down with poor disposal skills is totally correct and that can't be fixed in the short term. It was a major problem last year and again this one.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Why did he say that.
He's actually saying they have limited initiative in a polite, positive way.

It wasn't until the second half, after no doubt been told by the Coaches, that we started playing 'wet weather' football. It didn't appear to occur to many of our players, that they should adapt when the rain hit.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 20 Jun 2023 10:44am Round 14 2022 St.KFC 8th on the ladder same points as 6th placed, 1082 points for 955 points against 113.3%. 32 points.
Round 14 2023 St.KFC 5th on the ladder same points as 6th placed, 1039 points for 919 points against 113.1%. 32 points.
2023 = 4% worse offence 4% better defence. All square.

What was all the fuss about a new coach/panel and the heartbreak for Ratts all about. Worth it? Too early to judge?
Is there going to be a second half surge. Please.
President drafting you can't build Rome in a day letter ........have to go back to go forward. At the time appeared a good thing, urgers you know, GT et al.
Waiting, not so patient, but. Certainly having doubts.
Comforting that its all part of the plan that is going to script, forget results, look to the future, the draft. OK, fair enough.
That's one of your best posts ever...but I'm rating it really high ...ONLY based on the first half.

There's some undisputable facts there in that first half of your post. People (especially the RTB fanboys) can't argue with MATHS can they?

As far as the second part goes, there's some prose and conjecture and some confusion and there's hope. That happens! Words can be interpreted differently. That's how LITERATURE works

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Tue 20 Jun 2023 7:23pm

Why did he say that.

It wasn't until the second half, after no doubt been told by the Coaches, that we started playing 'wet weather' football. It didn't appear to occur to many of our players, that they should adapt when the rain hit.
Bingo!
He also mentioned how great teams problem solve while on the field how he watched Tigers do this during the game
How coaches nowadays have restrictions on the numbers of messages they can get out to players
I think he’s saying we are light on for on field leadership tbh..
You should’nt need coaches to come out abs tell you …”lads it’s wet….indicating rain….might be an idea to play wet weather footy??”

“Yeah….nah””
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Byrnes has dropped off massively. Cracked 20 disposals in 6 of the first 8 games and has not managed it once in the past 5. Maybe he's tired or maybe he's gotten comfortable. Same goes with Seb, who had 24 or more in his first 6 games and only cracked 20 once in his last 6. That one time was against the Tigers but he also had 1 tackle and 1 one-percenter which is pathetic for a full time mid.

I think that the team mix was stale 4-5 weeks ago and we should've started rotating players through back then. This is supposed to be a year of exploration and I believe that we have used the fewest players of any team in the comp. Partly because several have been unavailable all year, but we've got more fit options to select and find out what they can offer. Better to start doing it late than never.

Let Steele rest until he's ready to get back to his best. Howard deserves to be dropped but unfortunately we need his height against Brisbane. Heath had 17 disposals, 5 tackles, kicked 1.2 and 11 hitouts as a forward/ruck on the weekend so let's give him a crack supporting Marshall. Connolly has been in solid form and brings run and class - let's see if he can rise to the level. Bytel has been killing it in the VFL so give him an extended chance. Hammer looks like he needs a rest and Sharman has looked good with limited opportunities. I'd love to see what Peris could do coming on late in the 3rd quarter with fresh legs and explosive pace just as the opposition is starting to slow down.

Out: Byrnes, Ross, Caminiti, Steele (inj)
In: Bytel, Connolly, Sharman, Heath

B: Stocker, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Sinclair, Battle, NWM
C: Wood, Crouch, Phillipou
HF: Higgins, Sharman, Hill
F: Butler, King, Owens

Foll: Marshall, Gresham, Windhager
Int: Bytel, Connolly, Webster, Heath
Sub: Peris

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Wed 21 Jun 2023 2:45am Byrnes has dropped off massively. Cracked 20 disposals in 6 of the first 8 games and has not managed it once in the past 5. Maybe he's tired or maybe he's gotten comfortable. Same goes with Seb, who had 24 or more in his first 6 games and only cracked 20 once in his last 6. That one time was against the Tigers but he also had 1 tackle and 1 one-percenter which is pathetic for a full time mid.
Byrnes dropped off when Mason did, could just be a coincidence but I think it's linked.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 21 Jun 2023 12:34am
The G Train Legacy wrote: Tue 20 Jun 2023 7:23pm

Why did he say that.

Bingo!
He also mentioned how great teams problem solve while on the field....
I never thought of it that way. It seems far-fetched analysis, but I like it.

I remember reading that German army greatly valued initiative taken by local commanders in local actions and not getting trapped in the inertia of the great machine above. (I guess it didn't work out for them in the end, but they got a long way with less)

In that game, what is wet-weather football in a tactical sense? Well, we know it is , a) not being cute, b) soccer the ball forward, c) don't wait for numbers to be just right, d) Take a shhot when running towards or inside f50 rather than passing to a King,
but what about general game pattern doctrine?

What about space? Positioning? Running off man? I can see with a new coach of such gratis as Llyon, not to mentione Banga Harvey and co. , If i were a new player, I wouldn't dare to deviate from the doctrine. but then Richmond! Completely opposite. Stand-in coach. Experienced, multiple flag veterams..they can take matters into their own hands.

This is a good sign.

We almost beat them!

Oddly enough, the players lack of respect for Ratts and co. last year , might have got them over the line! Just a thought.