Gresham for Bergman

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Gresham for Bergman

Talk on SEN Carlton has a very strong interest in Gresham. Sam Edmunds spoke about this becoming an opportunity for StKilda to get Miles Bergman.

Thoughts on who we’d prefer.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gresham for Bergman

Gresham is a required player and loves the Saints, so a no thanks from me.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If his attitude to sticking to our club is similar to the way he plays his football, then he's probably keen to explore how much 'stupid Carlton' are willing to pay

Why would we want to recruit Bergman when we already have similar players on our list? Is he elite? Is he going to be a potential match winner?

Just because he's a local Bayside product means nought. Why do we try and recruit every kid that ever lived locally or who barracked for the Saints?

I think our focus needs to be on filling other deficiencies, like a back up tall defender and a back up ruckman and perhaps an elite midfielder

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The thing is… though the word is that Gresh is on the way out, I don’t know that he’s a player that we can easily afford to lose. Even with questionable disposal/decision making… he’s one of the few burst mids/small forwards we have that also has that x-factor.

Injury prone as he’s been… he’s actually just succumbed to big injuries and doesn’t really miss with niggles here or there. Certainly leaves Billings and Jones behind.

I’d really hate to see him go

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Sounds almost as crazy as trading a star ruckman for a second-rate half back and pick 18. So of course we wouldn’t do it.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

The problem with Gresh leaving via free agency is that it potentially neutralizes the advantage of us attracting a free agent.

Bergman is a very good player in the right age demographic, however I’m not sure he is what we need.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Bergman vs Paton.

Paton only 65% game time, note (compared to Bergman's 81%) ... and Paton has a much higher disposal efficiency (75% vs 65%)??

If Greham's (or Paton's for that matter) disposal is questionable, skeptic ... what about Bergman's?

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=S&fid2=S

Would Bergman add anything to our team?

Why would we contemplate trading Gresham for him?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 2:22pm Sounds almost as crazy as trading a star ruckman for a second-rate half back and pick 18. So of course we wouldn’t do it.
Yep. f*** you pelican s***. You were employed by the Saints but still hell bent on helping out your mates and former employer at the Dorks.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 2:28pm Bergman vs Paton.

Paton only 65% game time, note (compared to Bergman's 81%) ... and Paton has a much higher disposal efficiency (75% vs 65%)??

If Greham's (or Paton's for that matter) disposal is questionable, skeptic ... what about Bergman's?

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=S&fid2=S

Would Bergman add anything to our team?

Why would we contemplate trading Gresham for him?
Crazy idea but just more s*** from the press.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I see Bergman as a Langdon type in 2 or 3 years time. Bergman is tall, strong and quick. Having him on one wing and NWM on the other, both with nearly 100 games each would be quite formidable.

The ball is in Gresham's court, we will see if he truly loves the Club and wants to do everything to get the best out of himself. I want the best Gresh, not another 3 to 5 years of hoping for it.

I am not sure about his "X" factor attributes if I find myself asking "Y" more than marvelling at them.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I literally know nothing about Bergman.

But I wouldn't break the bank to keep Gresh, I don't think he's ever going to reach the level we all thought after he broke out young.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Anyway, why the hell should we be helping the brown paper baggers.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 1:47pm If his attitude to sticking to our club is similar to the way he plays his football, then he's probably keen to explore how much 'stupid Carlton' are willing to pay

Why would we want to recruit Bergman when we already have similar players on our list? Is he elite? Is he going to be a potential match winner?

Just because he's a local Bayside product means nought. Why do we try and recruit every kid that ever lived locally or who barracked for the Saints?

I think our focus needs to be on filling other deficiencies, like a back up tall defender and a back up ruckman and perhaps an elite midfielder
I actually like recruiting Bergman. Allows NWM to move to the wing and be that goal kicking winger that we want and need and move off Hill.

I don’t think we should let Gresham go for him though. I would happily part ways with Billings.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 2:46pm I literally know nothing about Bergman.

But I wouldn't break the bank to keep Gresh, I don't think he's ever going to reach the level we all thought after he broke out young.
Bergman is a great young player. Very good decision making, tall and physical. He’s like a mix of Mason Wood and NWM.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 1:39pm Talk on SEN Carlton has a very strong interest in Gresham. Sam Edmunds spoke about this becoming an opportunity for StKilda to get Miles Bergman.

IMO Gresham is just about to hit some form and Bergman according to the stats guru's is one of the worst kicks in the competition. It would be madness...

Sanctorum
Club Player

I haven't seen enough of Miles Bergman to know if he is going to improve St Kilda's list, guess the list managers will work that out in due course.

On the other hand, my perspective of Jade Gresham is that he has not shown anywhere near top level form in any of the games this year, has been guilty of playing for himself rather than the team, and will need to start having a real impact very soon if he is going to earn big bucks for a new contract with either St Kilda or another club.

He turns 26 in August, an age where most good players will have reached their peak. For all we know he may well prefer to ply his trade somewhere else, his manager may even have such a plan in mind right now....

So AFAIC if Gresham continues to play an ordinary game I would be happy to see him traded out and use the compensation pick (at least a 2RDP) to snare a good kid in the draft, or use that pick to bring in an experienced player from another club, be that Bergman or someone else.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 3:01pm
Scollop wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 1:47pm If his attitude to sticking to our club is similar to the way he plays his football, then he's probably keen to explore how much 'stupid Carlton' are willing to pay

I actually like recruiting Bergman. Allows NWM to move to the wing and be that goal kicking winger that we want and need and move off Hill.

I don’t think we should let Gresham go for him though. I would happily part ways with Billings.
Bergman is a similar player to Coffield cica 2020.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Where do people have him currently ranked on our list everything considered?

I'd have him easily outside the top 10 for now and moving forward.

So if he's asking for top 10 money unfortunately I'd have to pass.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 3:10pm
CURLY wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 1:39pm Talk on SEN Carlton has a very strong interest in Gresham. Sam Edmunds spoke about this becoming an opportunity for StKilda to get Miles Bergman.

IMO Gresham is just about to hit some form and Bergman according to the stats guru's is one of the worst kicks in the competition. It would be madness...
And every time in his career he reaches this point.......ping...🤞.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

We have Bergman covered
Gresham is much more difficult to replace.
Will hit his peak over next 3 years.
Don't let him go Saints

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Gresh has x factor. A keeper.

wally
Club Player

You would have to assume Gresham’s manager must be whispering in these journos ears seems like every week he’s linked to a team.
Is this to push up the price or to get StK to commit?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 7:25pm You would have to assume Gresham’s manager must be whispering in these journos ears seems like every week he’s linked to a team.
Is this to push up the price or to get StK to commit?
I dont want to lose Gresham, but I dont want the club to be held to ransom either. There is no doubt he was struggling earlier in the year and made some really selfish or dumb decisions. Contrary to others I thought he had a very good game last week and looked like he had turned the corner and was nearing his 2021 form. If that form trend can continue he should get a reasonable contract offer by the club.

Really its no different to De Goey last year, he was leaving until Collingwood stumped up the same coin. Its his managers job and in both their interest to get the best deal they can. Although we would all love these players to remain loyal to the club, sometimes its the club forcing them out?

Clubs and player managers are sweating on is the AFLPA & AFL current EBA deal. They are expecting list TPP to rise by the millions with players demanding a much larger chunk of the AFL revenue streams. After that is signed off clubs will have a much better idea of how much leeway they have in their caps.

Hack
Club Player

Bergman is a gun, so yes

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Don't want Gresham anywhere near Carlton. Can play and hugely underrated imo