How 17 clubs missed chance to snare Saints gun

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 6b94e6da6b

After a string of draft horror stories, finally it’s St Kilda’s rivals wondering about the steal that everyone missed

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: How 17 clubs missed chance to snare Saints gun

Herald Sun - so don't even click - but it has to be Owens.

Has there ever been a 2nd round draft pick that is in the running for the NAB Rising Star?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

paywall

aaron82
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 12:22pm Herald Sun - so don't even click - but it has to be Owens.

Has there ever been a 2nd round draft pick that is in the running for the NAB Rising Star?

I know there has been at least a couple of winners from later draft picks. Adam Goodes won it from a pick 43. Hannebery also won from pick 30 in the draft.

My feeling is the AFL want to give it to Ashcroft, way to promote the game in the Queensland etc. Hopefully in the coming weeks Owens can make it compelling that he should be adjudged the winner

and that's the bottom line
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

aaron82 wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 1:44pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 12:22pm Herald Sun - so don't even click - but it has to be Owens.

I know there has been at least a couple of winners from later draft picks. Adam Goodes won it from a pick 43. Hannebery also won from pick 30 in the draft.

My feeling is the AFL want to give it to Ashcroft, way to promote the game in the Queensland etc. Hopefully in the coming weeks Owens can make it compelling that he should be adjudged the winner
Yeah - it would be nice, however next to his premiership medallion(s) and his Charlie(s) I am not sure it will worry him not to have an NAB Rising Star

No pressure on the lad though

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 12:10pm How 17 clubs missed chance to snare Saints gun

After a string of draft horror stories, finally it’s St Kilda’s rivals wondering about the steal that everyone missed
Two things...
1. Hindsight drafting is the easiest game in town. There are no prizes for retrospective draft selections.
2. Whilst I appreciate the desire to share a good news story with your fellow forumites, please don't post a link that is behind a paywall. I can't speak for others, but I cancelled my HS subscription years ago because of the complete Murdoch news bias. No, I am not a lefty, but I do want a balanced view in the news that I read/watch. The people there were perplexed when I cancelled and told them why. They even offered to drop the price to $1/week. I told them that they weren't listening and it wasn't about the money.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Mitch has to be in the conversation of the most influential second year players that have played vfl/ afl footy.
He’s a unique player and we’re very fortunate to have him!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I love what Mitch brings to the table, and think he’s going to be a very good player

But I sense that we are massively overrating the young fellow - as we tend to do

He’s doing well, and I hope he keeps progressing, because we need some more A Graders

Sanctorum
Club Player

This is the full article, good to think that St Kilda have finally out-witted other clubs for a change!

OWENS ON THE MONEY - Jon Ralph Analysis

St Kilda’s recent history is filled with the players they should have drafted and the high-priced recruits they should have dodged.

From Dan Hannebery’s megabucks deal, to Billings-over-Bontempelli and McCartin-over-Petracca, it makes for grim reading.

Finally, as St Kilda’s young fleet of impressive kids take centre stage, their rivals are now wondering about the one that got away.

Mitch Owens was available to every club before Sydney finally bid on the next generation academy product, forcing St Kilda to match the No.33 selection in the 2021 national draft.

But the Saints actually had to wait until he drifted out of the top-20 selections to be eligible to recruit the player of Japanese heritage under the NGA rules of the time. Those rules disallowed Melbourne from matching a bid on their NGA kid, Mac Andrew, who was snapped up by Gold
Coast at pick 5.

A year later, in the 2022 national draft, clubs could only match bids on their NGA kids after the first 40 draft selections.

Yet, as 2021 draft day dawned, St Kilda knew of interest from clubs like Greater Western Sydney, who had mid-teens picks and strong interest in Owens.

Available to St Kilda given his mother’s Japanese heritage, the 191cm utility had surged up the draft order in 2021 with three strong games for Sandringham before Covid shut the season down. As Sandringham talent manager Mark Wheeler told the Herald Sun leading into the draft:

“He is now a genuine midfielder who can go both ways. His hands above his head are unbelievable and he is brave. He might even be silly brave.”

Yet those recruiters went elsewhere and some of those picks also look inspired:

Brisbane’s Darcy Wilmot (pick 16), and Melbourne’s Jacob Van Rooyen (pick 19).

St Kilda took the silky Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera with pick 11, Owens slipped all the way to 33 and then they matched a Geelong bid for fellow NGA
teen Marcus Windhager at pick 47.

After his latest brilliant performance against Sydney – two goals, 21 touches, 116 ranking points and 12 contested possessions – he is now into $7 for the Rising Star award.

AFL great Dermott Brereton cannot help but rave about Owens’ potential.

“He is that perfect hybrid pseudo third key tall. He is that Jack Gunston-style hybrid marking option, ” Brereton said.

“If someone like Patrick Dangerfield is a 70-30 onballer-midfielder, he is the reverse – 70 per cent forward, 30 per cent midfielder. A really good body-onbody player who can take an overhead mark with a great leap. His opponents can’t get him in one-on-one in the forward line. He is good at ground level and has the ability to chase, tackle and harass.

“He is as close to the prototype of the hybrid tall forward as you would want. I just think he’s a super player. If there was one player you would want to prise out of a team and pay him way overs, he would be my No.1.

“This kid can take pack marks. He can hold his own against absolute true backmen and he can play as a groundlevel forward. He is the quintessential hybrid.”

Luckily for St Kilda, Owens is locked away until 2025, with Wanganeen-Milera registering a career-high 30 possessions against Sydney as Windhager also returned to the senior team. St Kilda will still have its share of misses in coming years but that trio – along with this year’s No.10 selection Mattaes Phillipou – are the nucleus of the rebuild that will sustain Saints fans for a decade.

2021 AFL DRAFT ORDER
1. Jason Horne-Francis (NM)
2. Sam Darcy (WB)
3. Finn Callaghan (GWS)
4. Nick Daicos (Coll)
5. Mac Andrew (GC)
6. Josh Rachele (Adel)
7. Josh Ward (Haw)
8. Jye Amiss (Frem)
9. Josh Gibcus (Rich)
10. Neil Erasmsus (Frem)
11. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (St K)
12. Josh Sinn (PA)
13. Ben Hobbs (Ess)
14. Campbell Chesser (WC)
15. Leek Aleer (GWS)
16. Darcy Wilmot (BL)
17. Tom Brown (Rich)
18. Angus Sheldrick (Syd)
19. Jacob Van Rooyen (Melb)
20. Kai Lohmann (BL)
21. Matt Johnson (Frem)
22. Josh Goater (NM)
23. Sam Butler (Haw)
24. Toby Conway (Geel)
25. Mitch Knevitt (Geel)
26. Connor Macdonald (Haw)
27. Jesse Motlop (Carl)
28. Tyler Sonsie (Rich)
29. Sam Banks (Rich)
30. Judson Clarke (Rich)
31. Brady Hough (WC)
32. James Willis (Geel)
33. Mitch Owens (St K)

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I've mentioned it a few times on here. After watching him a couple of times early last year I said to my son "This guy is the strongest 18 year old I've ever seen at AFL level", and that includes Tony Lockett.

He is one of the most influential 19 year olds I have seen

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 3:44pm I've mentioned it a few times on here. After watching him a couple of times early last year I said to my son "This guy is the strongest 18 year old I've ever seen at AFL level", and that includes Tony Lockett.

He is one of the most influential 19 year olds I have seen
Yep, special player

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

John Ralph wrote: From Dan Hannebery’s megabucks deal, to Billings-over-Bontempelli and McCartin-over-Petracca, it makes for grim reading.
FFS, can the Billings/Bontempelli choice be killed once and for all?

Nobody...I repeat Nobody would have taken Bont at pick 3.
Rather than continually bagging the Saints for taking the obvious player at pick three, why not praise the Bulldogs for the big risk in taking a player at overs?

Uninformed, sloppy journalism trying to pick the low hanging fruit!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 1:54pm
bigcarl wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 12:10pm How 17 clubs missed chance to snare Saints gun

Two things...
1. Hindsight drafting is the easiest game in town. There are no prizes for retrospective draft selections.
2. Whilst I appreciate the desire to share a good news story with your fellow forumites, please don't post a link that is behind a paywall. I can't speak for others, but I cancelled my HS subscription years ago because of the complete Murdoch news bias. No, I am not a lefty, but I do want a balanced view in the news that I read/watch. The people there were perplexed when I cancelled and told them why. They even offered to drop the price to $1/week. I told them that they weren't listening and it wasn't about the money.
I put it up because I’m aware that some forumites have a HS subscription or otherwise read the paper. Since you won’t read it, why would it bother you?

As you said, it’s a good news St Kilda story. What is not to like about that?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 3:59pm I put it up because I’m aware that some forumites have a HS subscription or otherwise read the paper. Since you won’t read it, why would it bother you?
If you're going to post it for sharing, why not post the article like Sanctorum did?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Luke Dunstan ahead of Zach Merrett in 2013, Hugh Goddard ahead of Touk Miller in 2014, Ben Long over Shai Bolton in 2016, Nick Coffield over Aaron Naughton in 2017. On and on it goes

We're not the only ones who have made mistakes, but it just shows how important your recruiters are. Tony Elshaug and Chris Pelchen....what an absolute disaster those two guys were. They set us back 10 years.

We're back on track in that area now, thank goodness, and it will pay dividends in a couple of year from now.

King Max
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 4:05pm
bigcarl wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 3:59pm I put it up because I’m aware that some forumites have a HS subscription or otherwise read the paper. Since you won’t read it, why would it bother you?
If you're going to post it for sharing, why not post the article like Sanctorum did?
It infringes copyright laws and it’s a pain in the ass.

Thanks bigcarl.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 3:59pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 1:54pm

Two things...
I put it up because I’m aware that some forumites have a HS subscription or otherwise read the paper. Since you won’t read it, why would it bother you?

Exactly.

Thanks for posting, Carl.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 4:26pm

Thanks bigcarl.
Copyright is not infringed if you credit the author of the work...Which was done.
It robs Murdoch of some revenue! Reason enough to post it here!

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 4:12pm Luke Dunstan ahead of Zach Merrett in 2013, Hugh Goddard ahead of Touk Miller in 2014, Ben Long over Shai Bolton in 2016, Nick Coffield over Aaron Naughton in 2017. On and on it goes

We're not the only ones who have made mistakes, but it just shows how important your recruiters are. Tony Elshaug and Chris Pelchen....what an absolute disaster those two guys were. They set us back 10 years.

We're back on track in that area now, thank goodness, and it will pay dividends in a couple of year from now.
Tamblin over Franklin

― Aristophanes

King Max
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 4:47pm

Thanks bigcarl.
Copyright is not infringed if you credit the author of the work...Which was done.
I’m not a lawyer but I doubt that’s true.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

12ft.io

For those wanting to deal with paywalls

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 4:58pm

Thanks bigcarl.
The points to consider are:
- circumventing a mechanism that controls access to digital material
- selling, importing or manufacturing circumvention devices
- removing or altering rights management information in digital files
- failing to attribute (or falsely attributing) the creator of a work
- changing or doing something else with a work that damages the creator’s reputation or is offensive to the creator

The only point that is in question is the first point. But you've provided a link to the article, so you haven't circumvented the process.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

So watching Pies V Dees
Couple things stand out
1. We are nowhere near these 2 - their midfields just win stoppage after stoppage on the move
2. I think it could be the GF and Dees look the goods
3. N Daicos - one of the best youngsters I’ve seen cone into the game BUT …for all his possessions….1 score involvement???
4. I think I’d rather 23 from Owens 12 contested and 2 goals thanks

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 6:44pm So watching Pies V Dees
Couple things stand out
1. We are nowhere near these 2 - their midfields just win stoppage after stoppage on the move
2. I think it could be the GF and Dees look the goods
3. N Daicos - one of the best youngsters I’ve seen cone into the game BUT …for all his possessions….1 score involvement???
4. I think I’d rather 23 from Owens 12 contested and 2 goals thanks
I fear Melbourne more than Collingwood but I’m not convinced that either’s best is so much better than ours.

What really grinds my gears is the issue of timing. RTB’s 2009 team would not lose a game by under 30 points this season and to be honest… the GT led team in 04 would pbly win this season as well.

Really seems like a weak season to me and I reckon it’s open up to any of the better teams if they turn up at the right time

King Max
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 6:44pm
King Max wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 4:58pm

Thanks bigcarl.
The points to consider are:
- circumventing a mechanism that controls access to digital material
- selling, importing or manufacturing circumvention devices
- removing or altering rights management information in digital files
- failing to attribute (or falsely attributing) the creator of a work
- changing or doing something else with a work that damages the creator’s reputation or is offensive to the creator

The only point that is in question is the first point. But you've provided a link to the article, so you haven't circumvented the process.
Where’s that from?
I still don’t believe you can copy articles in full without the permission of the author.

And there’s also this from the forum rules.
COPYRIGHT

Due to copyright laws, when posting articles from any other website, please only post the URL (the link to the original article) - and no more a selected small portion no longer than one paragraph.

Any copyright claims will be forwarded to the poster as the author of the offending post.