Less vulgar commentator review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Less vulgar commentator review

Last night was painful to listen to. Channel AFL continue to use ex players on games of their sides, Bolton was probably better than most but him, Hodge, Darcey( worst for bias) cant be impartial. Richo is probably the least bias - BT wears a collingwood scarf i am sure.

Daisy may have been a great player and tactically very smart but professor obvious - out ranks captain, and her fascination/bias to certain players make your ears bleed. Talks for the sake of talking at times and flipped 3 times on the butler thing before condeming him as Blakey was concussed- which he wasn't!
How about a 1 minute quick discussion and let the Chook lotto man work it out.
Was nice with a minute to go when it was clear we would win they actually started giving us some complementary comments. Bolton was actually trying to be impartial talking about structures and effort.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Less vulgar commentator review

Perhaps it only exists on my remote, but there's this little button that I can push called "mute" which turns off the sound but still allows me to watch the picture. Watching Saints players kick to a group of three opposition players, or trip over the ball is bad enough. Listening to someone's description of it only makes it worse, accurate or not.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Criticism of the commentary has been around on this forum and likely most others for as long as I can remember.

My sense is that it’s almost universally hated… every channel, every station, 90% of the broadcasters, year after year.

I’ve never really gotten it.

The format is pretty simple.
You have a play by play commentator and then you have people there to provide colour commentary (match analysis, opinions, details on incidents/talking points etc). The idea is that that stuff is supposed to keep it interesting during the slow parts of play with play by play less important on TV because you have the too.

It all seems relatively inoffensive to me. Don’t really understand why it bothers people so much. With regards to the commentary last night… people seem incensed with the discussion of the Dan Butler tackle with Daisy being singled out as the main culprit but it seems to me, at least while they thought it was a concussion, that it was identified as something that would be a big talking point.
And all of them engaged in the conversation and the replay showed it over and over.

And let’s be honest… games like last night aren’t exactly filled with exciting play by play moments. There was one goal in the first quarter.
They lean in to colour to keep the audience.

I don’t get what the big deal is. Perhaps, as I pointed out elsewhere… my expectations are just sooooo low that it can’t bother me

bergsone
SS Life Member

Had to hit the mute button AGAIN

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Foxtel, on Sundays, used to offer a "Press Red" option.
One of the options, allowed yo to watch the game without the commentators but still hear the crowd and game noise.
The commentators in those games were Clinton Grybas, Wayne Carey, and Tiff Cherry (on the boundary). They were the at their peak at the time and were the best commentary team in the caper.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Fri 09 Jun 2023 10:59am Perhaps it only exists on my remote, but there's this little button that I can push called "mute" which turns off the sound but still allows me to watch the picture. Watching Saints players kick to a group of three opposition players, or trip over the ball is bad enough. Listening to someone's description of it only makes it worse, accurate or not.
Happened more than once too.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I have to agree with older saint but I never really listen to the fuckwits.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

At least it was no “Orange Team”

happy feet
Club Player

older saint wrote: Fri 09 Jun 2023 10:19am Last night was painful to listen to. Channel AFL continue to use ex players on games of their sides, Bolton was probably better than most but him, Hodge, Darcey( worst for bias) cant be impartial. Richo is probably the least bias - BT wears a collingwood scarf i am sure.

Daisy may have been a great player and tactically very smart but professor obvious - out ranks captain, and her fascination/bias to certain players make your ears bleed. Talks for the sake of talking at times and flipped 3 times on the butler thing before condeming him as Blakey was concussed- which he wasn't!
Was nice with a minute to go when it was clear we would win they actually started giving us some complementary comments. Bolton was actually trying to be impartial talking about structures and effort.
i had a little run in with Darcy a few years ago. I live in near Sydney and had to get to Melbourne fast - my Dad died very early that morning and needed to be with Mum and my sisters. Anyhow when i borded the plane i accidentally sat in the wrong seat and it was Luke Darcy's seat. Well didn't he carry on like a prat. I said i was sorry and moved but he still kept at it, in the end i said look, i'm not thinking so straight, my Dad has just passed away - eventually he shut up after the lady sitting next to him said - who do you think you are, give it a rest .....

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Fri 09 Jun 2023 11:51am
older saint wrote: Fri 09 Jun 2023 10:19am Last night was painful to listen to. Channel AFL continue to use ex players on games of their sides, Bolton was probably better than most but him, Hodge, Darcey( worst for bias) cant be impartial. Richo is probably the least bias - BT wears a collingwood scarf i am sure.

i had a little run in with Darcy a few years ago. I live in near Sydney and had to get to Melbourne fast - my Dad died very early that morning and needed to be with Mum and my sisters. Anyhow when i borded the plane i accidentally sat in the wrong seat and it was Luke Darcy's seat. Well didn't he carry on like a prat. I said i was sorry and moved but he still kept at it, in the end i said look, i'm not thinking so straight, my Dad has just passed away - eventually he shut up after the lady sitting next to him said - who do you think you are, give it a rest .....
Former bulldogs player from the western suburbs. 'nough said.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Channel 7 does not encourage commentating, it encourages barracking. It has never been more obvious than last night. It was supposed to be all about superman Buddy (30 AFL fantasy Points, great game Buddy) and St Kilda did not fit the narrative. The Saints were scripted as the sideshow. The hoo-ha about Buddy kicking just won goal to take him past Doug Wade on the all-time goal kickers list was completely OTT. There was no mention of the fact that it has taken Super Bud 83 more career games to pass Doug, we are just meant to believe he is the greatest living footballer.

Then, Dan Butler's superbly executed tackle. The commentators were n raptures until they realized the umpire deemed it dangerous. Cue the pile-on! Daisy nagged away about it for 10 minutes while whole passages of play went without commentary. It was a case of toe the AFL line, don't criticize a poor umpiring decision and, while they were at it, conduct a kangaroo court. None of the muppets recalled Blake was limping in discomfort in the first quarter so they assumed when he was subbed out it was through concussion. He had a sore tootsie, FFS! Even the boundary rider got it wrong.

It was the worst and most biased commentary I have ever listed to on TV (ABC radio broadcasts from Adelaide and Perth stoop lower. And that was without the brainless babbling of Brian Taylor.

Saint supporter since '62
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

My answer? MUTE the *merchants!

*"Merchant Banker"...rhymes with..................

of all the commentaries I opt for ABC Grandstand.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Geeez… what a grub.

Blows my mind why someone would carry on after an apology over a mistake.

Must have been a terrible experience

falka
Club Player

We need mute commentator button but keep the crowd noise

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Fri 09 Jun 2023 12:00pm
Then, Dan Butler's superbly executed tackle. The commentators were n raptures until they realized the umpire deemed it dangerous. Cue the pile-on! Daisy nagged away about it for 10 minutes while whole passages of play went without commentary. It was a case of toe the AFL line, don't criticize a poor umpiring decision and, while they were at it, conduct a kangaroo court. None of the muppets recalled Blake was limping in discomfort in the first quarter so they assumed when he was subbed out it was through concussion. He had a sore tootsie, FFS! Even the boundary rider got it wrong.
I don't think one thing you said here about the commentators here is accurate.

- Daisy specifically said Blakey came into the game with an injury and that could be the reason he was subbed out
- They all spoke about it (and the way the AFL is heading regarding concussions) over 2-3 minutes once Blakey was subbed off
- All of them seemed to be saying the same thing; perfect tackle BUT in todays AFL IF there is a concussion then the precedent seems to be a suspension

Why so many have their knickers and a knot about this after a great win is beyond me!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I don't like listening to Daisy Pearce. She is a try hard that has an unpleasant voice. She should take a leaf out of Richie Benauds book. If it's obvious don't say anything. People are more interested in the game than the commentary.
I prefer to listen to Wayne Carey. He's a tosser but I respect his football intellect.
Last edited by magnifisaint on Fri 09 Jun 2023 12:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 09 Jun 2023 12:20pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Fri 09 Jun 2023 12:00pm
I don't think one thing you said here about the commentators here is accurate.

- Daisy specifically said Blakey came into the game with an injury and that could be the reason he was subbed out
- They all spoke about it (and the way the AFL is heading regarding concussions) over 2-3 minutes once Blakey was subbed off
- All of them seemed to be saying the same thing; perfect tackle BUT in todays AFL IF there is a concussion then the precedent seems to be a suspension

Why so many have their knickers and a knot about this after a great win is beyond me!
Yeah I’m kind of with you on this one. It’s not like reflecting on a key moment or event that’s happened in the game is a new thing either. How many times do you see a bad injury or blunder get replayed over and over again + discussed adnauseum

I still don’t get what the issue is

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I can't watch St Kilda games with commentary on. It's music for me.

A bunch of records gets me through in a far more serene manner. I recommend it.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I don’t watch any footy at all - even free to air - I just check the score on the fantasy app.

One of the great memories of Darsehole’s career was when he missed out on playing in a GF in 97/98 along with his other Bullfrog buddies. Loved seeing them wallow in misery.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Fri 09 Jun 2023 12:00pm Channel 7 does not encourage commentating, it encourages barracking. It has never been more obvious than last night. It was supposed to be all about superman Buddy (30 AFL fantasy Points, great game Buddy) and St Kilda did not fit the narrative. The Saints were scripted as the sideshow. The hoo-ha about Buddy kicking just won goal to take him past Doug Wade on the all-time goal kickers list was completely OTT. There was no mention of the fact that it has taken Super Bud 83 more career games to pass Doug, we are just meant to believe he is the greatest living footballer.

It was the worst and most biased commentary I have ever listed to on TV (ABC radio broadcasts from Adelaide and Perth stoop lower. And that was without the brainless babbling of Brian Taylor.
Yep good post
I have to say even Lewis on Fox (I know he’s Buddy bum chum) telling us that Franklin was Ablett and Dunstall and someone else rolled into 1 WTF - the guys a champion….but don’t go near those legends please …ffs Franklin can’t and has never been able to take a mark over his friggin head!!
I noted he at least had the sense to not try any comparison with Lockett ….that would just be other level stupid
The hype was just way over top

“Yeah….nah””
Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

I had the TV muted and assumed that the constant replaying of the Butler tackle was about a debate over whether it was worth a free kick!

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Phil Davis offered some good insight last night, but he is a bit rough around the edges for a commentator.

Daisy usually offers excellent special comments, and does her best work as a boundary rider.

I didn't notice the rest of the commentary team, which is a good thing.

At least it wasn't BT.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Fri 09 Jun 2023 8:44pm Phil Davis offered some good insight last night, but he is a bit rough around the edges for a commentator.

Daisy usually offers excellent special comments, and does her best work as a boundary rider.

I didn't notice the rest of the commentary team, which is a good thing.

At least it wasn't BT.
I didn't even know who the commentators were and cared even less.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

The buddy love continued on the ch7 news tonight .
They said that he was in his sick bed all week and was in doubt right up until the game started .
Obviously just to hide the fact the buddy was terrible . He got one goal from a juggling mark where our defenders went to ground and the other goal looked like his foot was over the line . Would love to know why it was checked by the umpires .
Buddy is a champion of the game , but his last 5 years have been hampered by injury and average at best .
He played slightly better last year ( as many do in the final year of their contract when they're looking to go round again ) but has been a liability this year .
I'd reckon if the Horse could have that time again , he would have tapped him on the shoulder last year and said it's time !

In red white and black from 73
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

'Say that again' :shock: You told him your dad passed away and he kept at it...What a prick of a human!

Can't stand it when Darcy and Ling are working together. Two of the most biased commentators when their teams are playing. They both also hate St Kilda so will always crucify our blokes at every opportunity

Darcy was also one of the most staunch defenders of Essendon during the ASADA drugs investigation. He pushed their agenda (that it was only 'supplements' ) through his media profile and tried to hoodwink the public

I remember how filthy Darcehole was during the Melbourne Covid lockdowns. He is part owner of quite a few pubs and bars and he and Eddie would have arguments on air regarding the Covid policies at the time. Eddie was supporting ALP policies and Darcehole was supporting his mates ScoMo and Frydenburg

I think it was Jason Dunstall who nicknamed him Darcehole. Quite appropriate really