We’re just making opposition look better than they are

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

We’re just making opposition look better than they are

Adelaide were be talk of the town after their apparent big win over a quality opponent. The following week, thrashed by the Dogs and kept to 40 points.

Now, Hawthorn were staring at the bright light at the end of the tunnel after their come for on behind last week and now got royally belted by Port.

We’re staring out the barrel of a disastrous second half unless the playing group can reset both physically and mentally.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: We’re just making opposition look better than they are

Same as us at the start of the year.

Freo, Dogs, Essendon - all touted as favourites and we beat them.

saintkid
Club Player

If you compare Port's performance today against the Hawks to our side's effort last week vs Hawks, we are miles away from being a genuine quality side.

Against Port at our home ground we looked very ordinary after quarter time, quite disappointing in fact, were woeful against North and pathetic against the Hawks. No wonder Adelaide thumped us over there and it was fortunate we didn't play Port in Adelaide too, as we would have been thrashed by them also.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

saintkid wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 7:41pm If you compare Port's performance today against the Hawks to our side's effort last week vs Hawks, we are miles away from being a genuine quality side.

Against Port at our home ground we looked very ordinary after quarter time, quite disappointing in fact, were woeful against North and pathetic against the Hawks. No wonder Adelaide thumped us over there and it was fortunate we didn't play Port in Adelaide too, as we would have been thrashed by them also.
My point exactly. 12 years of football wilderness and not only are we not a contender, we’re barely even a top 8 team. We’re now in rebuild no. 3 and it’s only going to get harder with the comp expanding to 19 teams.

We’ve tried being an AFL golden child and that has failed miserably. The club needs to start breaking a few eggs.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
lewdogs
Club Player

Don't forget the Giants. We scraped over the line against them, the next week a pretty average victory for them down at the Cattery

Honestly it doesn't take a genius to see we are out of form, but the incessant whinging about how bad we are is fairly tiresome. 7-4 and fifth at the bye in a year many experts had us bottom four.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 8:07pm Don't forget the Giants. We scraped over the line against them, the next week a pretty average victory for them down at the Cattery
Any victory in Geelong is pretty special.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

lewdogs wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 8:07pm Don't forget the Giants. We scraped over the line against them, the next week a pretty average victory for them down at the Cattery

Honestly it doesn't take a genius to see we are out of form, but the incessant whinging about how bad we are is fairly tiresome. 7-4 and fifth at the bye in a year many experts had us bottom four.
We’ve been out of form since 2017. If we hadn’t have had last year’s second half train wreck, I would agree with you.

It doesn’t change the fact that other teams have have been able to regroup from the bottom and get back into finals contention. We, on the other hand, just keep maintaining our position in the lower tier with an odd tease in top eight within the first half of a season.

saintkid
Club Player

Yep let's cling at straws and find any excuse to justify our form over the past 5 weeks. How about focusing on OUR games and not what happens with other teams' games.

Fact and not a 'whinge' as you put it: Our last 5 weeks have been hardly inspiring and our wins against North and GWS far from convincing.

saintkid
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 8:21pm
Any victory in Geelong is pretty special.
Exactly, until we start winning well and handsomely away from home, we're not going anywhere with this group of players.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I fear the style in which we lost that game against the Hawks has once again exposed the vulnerabilities of our list, the crack could also get much wider and the demons of our second half of 2022 could get into the heads of the players and allow opposition clubs to exploit our clear weakness which is to wave the white flag when a team gets a run-on against us.

The pressure now comes for Lyon in the second half.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

**** this thread makes me want to end it all…
We are 5th
7-4
Massive injuries first half year
If I said no King Membrey Steele DMac Jones Billing’s and we’ll have to rely on Pou Caminiti Owens to kick a score you’d say we are stuffed
Our game plan stacks up when executed
Our ability to execute against pressure is our problem
Last year we had zero system
We are 2 in AFL for restrictions on opponent scoring that’s a massive step forward
We need more talent now

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 9:25pm

this thread makes me want to end it all

At least wait until October, you could miss our second flag. I know Firey has already booked flights and accommodation.

saintkid
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 9:46pm

At least wait until October, you could miss our second flag. I know Firey has already booked flights and accommodation.
....and if that does happen with the stellar season we are having, wait also till October 2024, just in case we go back-to-back and triple our flag tally after 151 years. :lol:

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 9:06pm I fear the style in which we lost that game against the Hawks has once again exposed the vulnerabilities of our list, the crack could also get much wider and the demons of our second half of 2022 could get into the heads of the players and allow opposition clubs to exploit our clear weakness which is to wave the white flag when a team gets a run-on against us.

We've lost 2 last quarters in the last seven weeks. We outscored Collingwood and drew with Port in the last. Adelaide outscored us by 5 points in the last and Hawthorn exposed a weakness. Sure

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

All will be revealed throughout June, but we’re finishing between 6-12.

🤫

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

It’s either that or your next upbeat post after the fact telling us all how shyte we are??
See Coopers not delisted yet…you must be bleeding…

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 10:23pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 9:06pm I fear the style in which we lost that game against the Hawks has once again exposed the vulnerabilities of our list, the crack could also get much wider and the demons of our second half of 2022 could get into the heads of the players and allow opposition clubs to exploit our clear weakness which is to wave the white flag when a team gets a run-on against us.

We've lost 2 last quarters in the last seven weeks. We outscored Collingwood and drew with Port in the last. Adelaide outscored us by 5 points in the last and Hawthorn exposed a weakness. Sure
Yes it’s always harder to peddle the BS when presented with facts
Good post CQ

“Yeah….nah””
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

It has come unstuck since the Port game. Other teams cottoned on on to using man-to-man defence and trying to force us to go through the corridor.

Imo, Lyon needs to get the team to be more attacking in mindset. The ultra defensive strategies have taken its toll on the players. Notice how the level of intensity has suddenly dropped off? I can only hope Lyon has gone back to the drawing board over the bye and recalibrated the strategies, because it’ll simply be a repeat of last year’s second half of the season, if there isn’t a new game plan implemented.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

The GWS game was better than it looked. A high pressure game against a very hungry team back on its home deck after a long break. A team that the following team beat Geelong in Geelong.

Othwerwise, intensity certainly seems to have dropped off.

We all predicted it ... bodies tiring, game plan worked out, etc ... but it's disappointing anyway.

Would like to see RTB applying uncompromising standards rather than giving the team Mulligans, etc.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Collectively there is no pride in performance from the senior players. They just go through the motions, reactive. Coaches were able to get them to extract fingers early but bad habits are hard to break. I fear we need to cull all those that jog when heats on regardless of physical ability and name.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yeah and we beat the Pies by one point in the 1966 GF, if you keep regurgitating history lessons I might have find a nic name for you that sounds like "rear vision mirror".

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 10:58pm

It’s either that or your next upbeat post after the fact telling us all how shyte we are??
See Coopers not delisted yet…you must be bleeding…
Why is it that I can't seem to remember who this Cooper fella is you keep spruicking, has he played in any of our more recent memorable wins?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 04 Jun 2023 6:10am

Yeah and we beat the Pies by one point in the 1966 GF, if you keep regurgitating history lessons I might have find a nic name for you that sounds like "rear vision mirror".
While history lessons are important, I'm more interested in your irrational fears.
Hawthorn is not the boogey man. We don't need to know how to beat them atm, they won't be playing finals for a while. They just crashed our 2 week break but we needed it.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 04 Jun 2023 7:16am

While history lessons are important, I'm more interested in your irrational fears.
Hawthorn is not the boogey man. We don't need to know how to beat them atm, they won't be playing finals for a while. They just crashed our 2 week break but we needed it.
Thanks for your rationale, it makes complete sense, almost as much sense as an "exploration year". What is an "exploration year" btw?

And how does an "exploration year" differ to the previous 150 years? Were they all "exploration years" too?

lewdogs
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 04 Jun 2023 7:50am
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 04 Jun 2023 7:16am

Thanks for your rationale, it makes complete sense, almost as much sense as an "exploration year". What is an "exploration year" btw?

And how does an "exploration year" differ to the previous 150 years? Were they all "exploration years" too?
Fifth at the bye. Surely you'd have taken that before the season started?