Our midfield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nobhead
Club Player

Our midfield

Imo a real problem atm.
Crouch,ross,steele,clark isn't cutting the mustard.
Does sinclair have to be in there full time?
Do we bite the bullet and put windy in there now ?
Mid rotations gresh,owens,phillipou?
Not sure but something has to change ,cos we are getting badly beaten in clearences aganst the better midfields . If we can improve in there i think we can match it against most sides.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our midfield

Out. Owens, Seb and Crouch

IN. Billings, Bytel and Windy.

Sorry Seb and Crouch, but you two had shockers.

ps. Members for the Pou a distict possibility.
Last edited by saynta on Sun 21 May 2023 9:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Crouch has gone completely off the boil since Steele came back

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ross has taken a huge step back the last 3 weeks as well.

In all actuality, IMO he’s pbly the barometer. We’ve looked average since he went off the boil. A measly 12 touches and a few bad passes forward along with one great one.

Personally, I’d rest him before the bye and give Bytel a full game

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Said it before
You get your best players around the footy
That’s Sinclair
37 disposals 2 goals 6 inside 50
Star
Get him in the midfield permanently
Get another HBF
Ross on way out
I’d prime Windhager and Bytel now

“Yeah….nah””
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

It may simply be that opposition coaches have identified our key movers and have closed them down?
Wood and Hill haven’t been anywhere near as effective either.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Crouch out

lewdogs
Club Player

I would think that Sincs could well be in there permanently after this game.

Ross had a great start to the year but has had three poor games in a row, has to be under pressure now with Windy and Bytel playing well.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 21 May 2023 9:53pm Ross has taken a huge step back the last 3 weeks as well...

To be fair, he's playing with three broken legs.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote: Sun 21 May 2023 10:13pm I would think that Sincs could well be in there permanently after this game.

Ross had a great start to the year but has had three poor games in a row, has to be under pressure now with Windy and Bytel playing well.
Our reserves got pumped! I don't really know how effective they were - efficient maybe, effective ...?

I mean sure, bring Bytel into the starting 22 and play Windhager. Hell, I've been saying that too (as can be easily proven by checking my previous posts on this very site), but the situation with Sandringham is absolutely appalling.

The boys out there today got the job done and the Giants were fair dinkum today - some of their players were amazing today - especially Greene and Daniels. Hogan and Coniglio as well. I would be loathe to drop players from the side today who put their heads over the ball and buckled down.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Out: Owens, Pou, Ross
In: Bytel, Billings, Paton
Sub: Ross

Webster. Howard. Wilkie.
Paton. Battle. Wang

Wood. Steele. Byrnes

Billings. Hammer. Hill.
Gresham. King. Higgins.

Marshall
Crouch
Sincs

Int
Butler, Bytel, Stocker, Clark

Sub: Ross

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Bytel and Sincs to get considerably more midfield minutes.

Clark and Stocker half back rotations.
Butler the forward rotation.
Hill to spend time on the wing as required.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
lewdogs
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 21 May 2023 10:25pm
lewdogs wrote: Sun 21 May 2023 10:13pm I would think that Sincs could well be in there permanently after this game.

Our reserves got pumped! I don't really know how effective they were - efficient maybe, effective ...?

I mean sure, bring Bytel into the starting 22 and play Windhager. Hell, I've been saying that too (as can be easily proven by checking my previous posts on this very site), but the situation with Sandringham is absolutely appalling.

The boys out there today got the job done and the Giants were fair dinkum today - some of their players were amazing today - especially Greene and Daniels. Hogan and Coniglio as well. I would be loathe to drop players from the side today who put their heads over the ball and buckled down.
Yeah and I just listened to Ross's press conference and he mentioned Seb. So I don't think he'll be going anywhere.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

lewdogs wrote: Sun 21 May 2023 10:39pm

Yeah and I just listened to Ross's press conference and he mentioned Seb. So I don't think he'll be going anywhere.
Ross had 12 touches. I must be missing something.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I thought Seb tried really hard tonight and made a reasonable contribution. Crouch was off his game but certainly worked hard.

I’m not sure Bytel is the answer but he probably should be tried against the Hawks. Maybe Windy too.

What Ross and Lenny need to work on is our strategy at clearances. That’s the key to our diminished performance In recent weeks.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Brad Johnson today “Crouch is one of the most underrated top end midfielders”

his game today not stellar, but still most pressure acts and second most tackles

He will not be dropped

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Membrey will come back in.
Crouch or Ross need a rest.

Although Hawthorn won by 100+ today, I think this round we should be playing Windy and Bytel for a full game.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I think we get Owens in there when he’s back and not necessarily as second ruck. Gun contested ball winner and a goal-kicker. Might become a champion of the competition.

Also keen to get games into Windhager and Bytel.

As for Sinclair, he’s a star wherever you play him. I think his best role is halfback, but certainly can go into the middle if we need a spark.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote: Sun 21 May 2023 10:39pm

Crouch had 2 poor games and one pretty ordinary one and he didn't get dropped, so makes sense that Sebby gets equal treatment.

Interesting that Seb had equal game minutes as Hunter (67% ToG) with both spending a third of the game on the bench. Mattaes had 83% Time on Ground

takeaway
Club Player

I don't know why posters want Sinclair shifted permanently to the midfield. He is very dangerous (AA) from half back, where he can use his superb ability to read the play and launch attacks, also intercept plenty of threatening moves forward by the opposition. That would be negated somewhat in the midfield.

Leave him at HB, with perhaps occasional forays into the midfield. Not sure he actually spent much time at all in the midfield vs GWS anyway.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

We don't set up well and we often have three in-and-under players (Steele, Ross, Crouch) at the bounce, giving us no run and no spread. Our opposition seem to always have an outlier and quickly create space.

In my opinion, Sinclair needs to play as a full time mid. We can't continue with both Ross and Crouch in there.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We need a pair of 35s.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
wally
Club Player

I like bringing Sinclair in the middle in bursts to change it up if he was in there full time he may well be negated / tagged.

takeaway
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Mon 22 May 2023 8:46am We don't set up well and we often have three in-and-under players (Steele, Ross, Crouch) at the bounce, giving us no run and no spread. Our opposition seem to always have an outlier and quickly create space.

In my opinion, Sinclair needs to play as a full time mid. We can't continue with both Ross and Crouch in there.
Just watched press conference. Ross virtually confirmed that Sinclair's role would not be changing.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 22 May 2023 9:09am We need a pair of 35s.
One in the coaches box, one on the field. Works for me.