Poor Sandy (not the Zebras)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Poor Sandy (not the Zebras)

Terrible news about Sandy Roberts’ health. Poor guy was diagnosed with an incurable form of blood cancer called myeloma. He has gone through rigours of chemotherapy and now in feeling a little more himself, he is on a mission to help find a cure.

Have to say, I became quite fond of Sandy. Loved his upbeat style as a TV presenter and commentator. And in finding out he barracked for St.Kilda made him even more likeable.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Poor Sandy (not the Zebras)

Good luck Sandy!

You can do this!!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Club Player

Yeah all the very best. Fond memories.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Mon 15 May 2023 10:28pm Terrible news about Sandy Roberts’ health. Poor guy was diagnosed with an incurable form of blood cancer called myeloma. He has gone through rigours of chemotherapy and now in feeling a little more himself, he is on a mission to help find a cure.

Have to say, I became quite fond of Sandy. Loved his upbeat style as a TV presenter and commentator. And in finding out he barracked for St.Kilda made him even more likeable.

Myeloma killed my dad. Feel for Sandy as it is a terrible way to die.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

For those willing to trust ChatGPT
(Spare me the personal insults - and maintain your own posting standards- and inform yourself - I know you will)

It says,
In recent years, there have been significant advancements in the treatment of multiple myeloma, leading to improved outcomes for many patients. With the use of novel therapies, such as immunomodulatory drugs (IMiDs), proteasome inhibitors, and monoclonal antibodies, the overall survival rates have increased.

However, it is important to note that multiple myeloma remains a complex and incurable disease for most patients. The prognosis can vary widely, ranging from a few months to several years or more, depending on individual factors. Some patients may achieve complete remission or long-term disease control, while others may experience relapses or develop resistance to treatment.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Much better outlook for MM sufferers now than even 10 years ago.
We're very lucky in Melbourne to be a hub of blood cancer research. He will get the best care.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 16 May 2023 12:59pm Myeloma killed my dad. Feel for Sandy as it is a terrible way to die.
Sorry to hear that, mate. I can only imagine that being a very difficult time in your life.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I switched on 3AW this morning to catch the tail end of Neil Mitchell talking with two men from Myeloma Australia. In particular, the topic was the Australian Government's apparent reluctance to support CAR-T Cell therapy for myeloma, an insidious form of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Shanegrambeau's first paragraph sums up immunotherapy as it applies to multiple myeloma, a blood cancer that forms tumours throughout the body.

Unfortunately Shane, your second paragraph reads like a typical Google search. Having been 1 of 20 Australians fortunate enough to have participated in a CAR-T Cell clinical trial (specifically for another aggressive lymphoma) I know how successful new immunotherapy treatments can be. I also knew over a year ago, based on the trial's apparent success with the likes of me, that CAR-T treatment had already been successfully used on multiple myeloma patients.

It's an extremely complex issue that, even after 4 years of different treatments, I struggle to effectively explain to family and friends who, fortunately, have never been exposed to illnesses such as these forms of cancers. Suffice to say, in my case, the CAR-T treatment DOUBLED the success rate of my previous treatment. This was the totally horrible intensive chemotherapy and stem cell transplant method which leaves you extremely ill for months.

The pace of change in cancer therapies is incredible. It needs to be though, as cancer is almost as smart as our doctors and researchers. It needs to be fully funded for the most aggressive cancers, but that isn't cheap - clinical trials cost multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars for each participant.

I wish you well Sandy, but while there may be no cure there will be new treatments that allow you to live a normal life really soon. Go Saints!

Saint supporter since '62
CarlD
Club Player

All the best to Sandy.

Lost both my parents to multiple myeloma - Mum in 1993 and Dad in 2013. Medicine made some leaps forward between those years but still more needs to be done to defeat this wretched cancer.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Loved Sandy's work over the many, many years.
All the best to him.

Can't have a thread on Sandy without mentioning one of, if not Australian TV's all time greatest TV Blooper.
Yes, Sandy introducing Miss Australia Leanne Dick - pure gold Sandy!

Sandy continues to chuckle his way through and good on Leanne for ignoring it with a smile.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 16 May 2023 9:12pm I switched on 3AW this morning to catch the tail end of Neil Mitchell talking with two men from Myeloma Australia. In particular, the topic was the Australian Government's apparent reluctance to support CAR-T Cell therapy for myeloma, an insidious form of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Shanegrambeau's first paragraph sums up immunotherapy as it applies to multiple myeloma, a blood cancer that forms tumours throughout the body.

Unfortunately Shane, your second paragraph reads like a typical Google search. Having been 1 of 20 Australians fortunate enough to have participated in a CAR-T Cell clinical trial (specifically for another aggressive lymphoma) I know how successful new immunotherapy treatments can be. I also knew over a year ago, based on the trial's apparent success with the likes of me, that CAR-T treatment had already been successfully used on multiple myeloma patients.

It's an extremely complex issue that, even after 4 years of different treatments, I struggle to effectively explain to family and friends who, fortunately, have never been exposed to illnesses such as these forms of cancers. Suffice to say, in my case, the CAR-T treatment DOUBLED the success rate of my previous treatment. This was the totally horrible intensive chemotherapy and stem cell transplant method which leaves you extremely ill for months.

The pace of change in cancer therapies is incredible. It needs to be though, as cancer is almost as smart as our doctors and researchers. It needs to be fully funded for the most aggressive cancers, but that isn't cheap - clinical trials cost multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars for each participant.

I wish you well Sandy, but while there may be no cure there will be new treatments that allow you to live a normal life really soon. Go Saints!
Feel for you mate, My dad died in 2002. The only treatment he ever got was regular blood transfusions. I always sat with him, Until one day the doctor, who was quite insensitive, told me that (something called blast cells?) things had changed and that they couldn't match dad's blood anymore.

Basically told me that dad had about two weeks and to take him home as there was nothing they could do.

The doctor ignored dad and only spoke to me. As I said quite insensitive. Whatever happened to doctor /patient relationship.

And like you I do still prefer to get my medical advice from proffessionals and not some f****** internet page.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 17 May 2023 12:25pm Loved Sandy's work over the many, many years.
All the best to him.

Can't have a thread on Sandy without mentioning one of, if not Australian TV's all time greatest TV Blooper.

Sandy continues to chuckle his way through and good on Leanne for ignoring it with a smile.

I remember that. Thanks for posting it.

Brought back memories to me that many years ago the place where I was employed had a client called Mrs (first name withheld) Duck.

I had occasion to write to her but of course I never checked the spelling on the envelope.

I was horrified when she later told me that the letter(envelope) was addressed to her with the D replaced with a F.

She never really forgave me and our rocky relationship became even rockier. The secretaries thought it hilarious though.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 17 May 2023 12:39pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 17 May 2023 12:25pm Loved Sandy's work over the many, many years.
All the best to him.

Brought back memories to me that many years ago the place where I was employed had a client called Mrs (first name withheld) Duck.

I had occasion to write to her but of course I never checked the spelling on the envelope.

I was horrified when she later told me that the letter(envelope) was addressed to her with the D replaced with a F.

She never really forgave me and our rocky relationship became even rockier. The secretaries thought it hilarious though.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope her first name wasn't ... Anita

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 17 May 2023 12:46pm
saynta wrote: Wed 17 May 2023 12:39pm
All the best to him.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope her first name wasn't ... Anita
No, started with a P. :wink:

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Wed 17 May 2023 12:28pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 16 May 2023 9:12pm I switched on 3AW this morning to catch the tail end of Neil Mitchell talking with two men from Myeloma Australia. In particular, the topic was the Australian Government's apparent reluctance to support CAR-T Cell therapy for myeloma, an insidious form of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Feel for you mate, My dad died in 2002. The only treatment he ever got was regular blood transfusions. I always sat with him, Until one day the doctor, who was quite insensitive, told me that (something called blast cells?) things had changed and that they couldn't match dad's blood anymore.

Basically told me that dad had about two weeks and to take him home as there was nothing they could do.

The doctor ignored dad and only spoke to me. As I said quite insensitive. Whatever happened to doctor /patient relationship.

And like you I do still prefer to get my medical advice from proffessionals and not some f****** internet page.
I'm sitting back in a chair at Peter Mac right now, Santa, having my 4-weekly immune system booster. If your platelet count is low you get as weary as a Saints supporter waiting for the next premiership. Or not.

The docs might have been referring to your Dad's B cells with myeloma. They go rogue and start attacking you instead of protecting you, a bit like Clarkson turning on the Hawks.

People tell me I'm unlucky to have relapsed twice though I see it the other way. How unlucky are the poor souls that never make it into remission?

I am getting away with taking just 2 capsules a day for now and feeing much better. But, to be brutally honest, I wouldn't wish what I've been through on a Collingwood supporter.

Yes, that bad.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Glad to hear the CAR-T worked for you Trev.
Think that lies in my future (hopefully not for a few years)
Amazing technology, weaponizing you're own T lymphocytes against the cancerous ones.
Thank God for modern medicine.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Banger9798 wrote: Wed 17 May 2023 8:59pm

Glad to hear the CAR-T worked for you Trev.
Think that lies in my future (hopefully not for a few years)
Amazing technology, weaponizing you're own T lymphocytes against the cancerous ones.
Thank God for modern medicine.
It worked extremely well for me for two years, then inexplicably failed towards the end of summer. Not to worry, the new medication is working well and hopefully does for at least three years. By then, hopefully, something newer and better will be available.

I have likened it to a game of chess as you have to be aware of the enemy's next moveand block them. In reality, snakes and ladders might be a better analogy. Unfortunately, there are more snakes than ladders.