Vilification will earn you a lifetime ban

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vilification will earn you a lifetime ban

https://www.afl.com.au/news/918352/fans ... lification

Good, nothing else will stop the racist pigs.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Vilification will earn you a lifetime ban

It's astonishing that this kind of behaviour still exists. I grew up with friends from lots of different countries, half of them with dark skin and I was just gobsmacked over the racism they experienced.

What possesses people think like that is just beyond my comprehension

You have to close the door on these people, because if you leave the door slightly ajar they will kick it open

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately this type of behaviour is still very prevalent everywhere in society including this forum. The challenge is amongst that group of ppl that harbour those negative attitudes but know what they can and can’t say and walk around the line rather than cross it.

All you can really do is confront it directly when it rears its ugly head up in terms of behaviour and hope that with enough education and pressure, people see the error of their ways.

Certainly the worst of it I’ve ever copped has been here on this forum (which all things considered makes me pretty lucky), which is why I talk a lot less about my background. Those types of posts wouldn’t fly these days but you still catch snippets of it in people’s mannerisms

“Why would I watch that foreign sport”
“Your type”

Or you see it with people that always have issues with minorities or people of other cultures that take a stand against the bias - that’s when politics is sports is often not ok.

All in all though… every generation seems better than the next and I really think the young ppl coming through today really believe in the message of inclusiveness + respect and will put this to bed for us

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Will the people booing JHF get a lifetime ban??

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
happy feet
Club Player

Good initiative, there is no excuse for such disgraceful and disgusting behaviour.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 3:39pm Will the people booing JHF get a lifetime ban??
It is clear that they mean vilification beyond racial, without defining how broad it will go. So yes, there is a possibility they will be. Slippery slope.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

If only we had the same rule here!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 5:43pm If only we had the same rule here!
Yep, and I know who would be one of the first to go. :roll: :wink:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Never ever seen any racial vilification on here?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 3:39pm Will the people booing JHF get a lifetime ban??
It's the difference between actions and characteristics. As far as I could tell, people were booing JHF was for something that he did and was responsible for. When people boo, or otherwise harass, someone because of the colour of their skin, or their sexuality, or their gender that is something that the person cannot change - something that should not have any adverse comment made or actions taken that affect their lives i.e. discrimination.

No doubt the usual suspects will claim that "It's political correctness gone mad." They long for the good old days when they could racially abuse with impunity.

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 6:57pm Never ever seen any racial vilification on here?
I have, it was a few months ago and was poor form. I think it had something to do with a First Nations Football Academy for women’s AFL.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 7:23pm
B.M wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 6:57pm Never ever seen any racial vilification on here?
I have, it was a few months ago and was poor form. I think it had something to do with a First Nations Football Academy for women’s AFL.
Yep, plenty of subtle, not so subtle, and just blatant racism finds its way on here every now and then

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 7:11pm
It's the difference between actions and characteristics. As far as I could tell, people were booing JHF was for something that he did and was responsible for. When people boo, or otherwise harass, someone because of the colour of their skin, or their sexuality, or their gender that is something that the person cannot change - something that should not have any adverse comment made or actions taken that affect their lives i.e. discrimination.

No doubt the usual suspects will claim that "It's political correctness gone mad." They long for the good old days when they could racially abuse with impunity.
I disagree - plenty of reasons to boo a sniper, who had a rule bought in because of his dog actions, but still people got labelled racist.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

While I don’t condone the constant booing, scale up what JHF did across the league. At the system level, his individualism was a selfish act and a national draft would be unworkable because every player who was drafted away from their home state would want to come home in year 2.

Free riding problem.

Hats off NWM. 👍

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Tasmania won't have to worry about the go home factor as they will be the only team allowed to draft Tassie talent.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 9:07pm Tasmania won't have to worry about the go home factor as they will be the only team allowed to draft Tassie talent.
LOL - even possibly Roo's children when the time comes.

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 9:02pm While I don’t condone the constant booing, scale up what JHF did across the league. At the system level, his individualism was a selfish act and a national draft would be unworkable because every player who was drafted away from their home state would want to come home in year 2.
Hhhmm - draft tampering??? Surely that cant happen?

― Aristophanes

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I can just imagine the Riewoldt's leaving the States, selling up in Victoria and heading to Tassie for a new start.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 9:47pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 9:02pm While I don’t condone the constant booing, scale up what JHF did across the league. At the system level, his individualism was a selfish act and a national draft would be unworkable because every player who was drafted away from their home state would want to come home in year 2.
Hhhmm - draft tampering??? Surely that cant happen?
For sure it happens.

I’m conflicted. All these authoritarian rules go against my libertarian values.

😬😁

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 9:07pm Tasmania won't have to worry about the go home factor as they will be the only team allowed to draft Tassie talent.
Restraint of trade.

In a perfect world, players should be allowed to go wherever the hell they like.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Every club has to deal with the go home factor- fact is, Hobart is a beautiful (albeit trendy) city

With a footy culture

It will have elite facilities

An under roof stadium- which will be packed every game

Players will be able to afford to live in the best suburbs

For 500k - 1M I’d be happy to relocate there for work

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

What happens if one player racially vilifies another? I presume that is also a lifetime ban

Templar
Club Player

Now, now. That could affect revenue.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
SaintWiki
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 1:01am What happens if one player racially vilifies another? I presume that is also a lifetime ban
Good Point - that would set the cat among the pigeons :D

I agree with a lifelong ban as long as they get a chance to get out on bail after a year.

Sebastian Tombs
Club Player

Interesting the 'fan' gets a life time ban and yet Taylor Walker got only six weeks for doing exactly the samething , so I guess theres alittle wiggle room in the punishments