Tim Membrey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Tim Membrey

I thought that not only was Tim's game good first up (7 marks), but that his forward line leadership was excellent. In the same vein, I liked Zaine Cordy's game. He will probably lose his spot to Max but has not been disgraced. Both Mattaes (6 games) and Mitch (13 games) are benefiting enormously.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tim Membrey

Membrey played as expected- very well - he’s a good AFL footballer.

His VFL game - 4 disposals- was a run around to get the cobwebs out.

Cordy - oh please
He got 7 possessions, 2 HOs and 1 goal. In keeping with his average. Ans was subbed out for the 3rd time!
His goal was created by great play and vision by Sinclair!

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 23 Apr 2023 10:45pm Membrey played as expected- very well - he’s a good AFL footballer.

His VFL game - 4 disposals- was a run around to get the cobwebs out.

Cordy - oh please
He got 7 possessions, 2 HOs and 1 goal. In keeping with his average. Ans was subbed out for the 3rd time!
His goal was created by great play and vision by Sinclair!
I have to agree with BM. I just don't see why Caordy is there. It was nice to be there for that receive from Sincs, take the grab and calmly convert. The other odd bits and pieces, but I cannot see why a Sharman could not do that too. Even when Sharman was not getting it done, he also kicked the odd goal.

There was a moment in the fourth (?) just prior to Cairdy being dragged, when there was an entry that just needed a tall to do something, and he had no impact.

But if RTB likes him, so be it.

I am trusting the coaches 100%

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yeah Membrey started like a house on fire and showed his class. Pity it seems his once excellent goal kicking has dropped back to the average.

Regarding Cordy, I also find his role bizarre as it appears Owens is the 2nd ruck??

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
groupie1
Club Player

I agree.

Sharman in for Cordy.
Cordy in if Howard gets injured.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Cordy is in the team because, from Lyon's perspective, he holds his position well and follows the instructions he has been given. Lyon has never cared much about stats, and is particularly dark on players who are there to play a structural role and then ruin the structure by chasing after the ball into areas where they are not supposed to go. He will give a pass to certain players to run more freely - eg, Gresham and, to some extent, Owens in the present lineup - and sternly forbid others from doing the same.

I have never been a Lyon fanboy, but I fully appreciate that this stuff is at the core of his coaching strategy. If you want Lyon and his structure, you are going to get things like Dempster playing in the forward line for much of 2009, Eddy playing in two GFs, and Cordy playing in the forward line in 2023. If you would rather watch a team featuring the 22 most skilful players at the club playing a more free-flowing game, then you can't seriously be a Lyon fanboy.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’m not a teenager

So not a fanboy

I would rather a good player play that role

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 8:54am Cordy is in the team because, from Lyon's perspective, he holds his position well and follows the instructions he has been given. Lyon has never cared much about stats, and is particularly dark on players who are there to play a structural role and then ruin the structure by chasing after the ball into areas where they are not supposed to go. He will give a pass to certain players to run more freely - eg, Gresham and, to some extent, Owens in the present lineup - and sternly forbid others from doing the same.

I have never been a Lyon fanboy, but I fully appreciate that this stuff is at the core of his coaching strategy. If you want Lyon and his structure, you are going to get things like Dempster playing in the forward line for much of 2009, Eddy playing in two GFs, and Cordy playing in the forward line in 2023. If you would rather watch a team featuring the 22 most skilful players at the club playing a more free-flowing game, then you can't seriously be a Lyon fanboy.
I agree with you but the problem is that all of those things you pointed out were terrible.
Dempster was ineffective in the role, Eddy was close to WOG and Cordy ain’t much chop either based on what he has priced so far.

My biggest criticism of RTB has always been that he over values the contribution of these types of role players.

I will still maintain that it would be better to develop someone or work a project then have a player there who only is able to provide defensive pressure.
I’d rather see development into Campbell or Sharman, or rest mids down there so Windy and Bytel could play etc

There’s a bigger group of players that typically start slower and improve around the 20-30 game mark. A guy like Byrnes for example got tastes of the top level here and there having had 27-28 odd games across 3 years… boom hit the ground running in 2023 and that development is paining dividends.

I’d always rather go for that and fail rather than accepted 7 touches and a largely invisible presence built around defensive pressure

older saint
SS Life Member

Sharman couldn't do Cordy's role. 4 kg lighter , few cm smaller and Sharman isn't a grunt, grind and sacrifice type player.
I know i am the outlier here but Cordy has made guys like Owen, Phillipou and Caminiti job so much easier doing the bustling work early on.
Yes he goes when Max comes back but he is as important a role player as Brynes and Paton at the moment watching what happens off the ball at the moment.

As said i now i am in the minority here will get hailed down but he is the modern version of Leigh Brown for us at the moment.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Clearly Cordy provides something to the structure, as his direct output (goals, score assists) is not worthy of selection.

Forward line leadership - we have Membrey for that now
Bring the ball to ground - Caminiti the bulldozer takes this spot when available
Defensive forward on tall intercept defender - Quite possibly

Gone are the days of forward being attacking and defenders being defensive.

Defensive forwards and attacking defenders are a huge part of the game now.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The coach mentioned Zaine twice in the presser.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 12:38pm The coach mentioned Zaine twice in the presser.
It’s cuddly Ross making sure that his player doesn’t lose confidence

You gotta have balance.

If you were Zaine, you’d be doubting yourself or your spot in the team after being subbed off 3 times now

Ross is not losing sight of the fact that he needs him next week

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 10:30am Sharman couldn't do Cordy's role. 4 kg lighter , few cm smaller and Sharman isn't a grunt, grind and sacrifice type player.
I know i am the outlier here but Cordy has made guys like Owen, Phillipou and Caminiti job so much easier doing the bustling work early on.
Yes he goes when Max comes back but he is as important a role player as Brynes and Paton at the moment watching what happens off the ball at the moment.

As said i now i am in the minority here will get hailed down but he is the modern version of Leigh Brown for us at the moment.
Can you give examples of this “bustling” work you speak of.

Not having a dig… just that my frustration is that whenever people talk about his contribution they never actually talk about what he does
Bustling work
Role
Structure
Makes others look good
Grunt/grind

Everything except getting possessions, getting to contests or doing much of anything that directly influences.

It’s different to a guy like Caminati who sometimes has 7-8 possession game but you legitimately see him present a target and get to heaps of contests.

Cordy I barely see to the point I wonder if he’s subbed off. Balls generally not kicked towards him and then it’s all talk about the intangibles he brings to the table. Sometimes it feels like a cult to me.

I just don’t get what it is ppl think we’d miss if he wasn’t playing and whatever it is… we obviously don’t need it in last quarters

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

This thread WAS about Tim Membrey; as usual it has been hijacked by persons with the attention span of a gnat.

Saint supporter since '62
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 2:23pm This thread WAS about Tim Membrey; as usual it has been hijacked by persons with the attention span of a gnat.
There's just not much to be said about Tim, he has been injured, came back and had a good game. His skillset is well known and not up for much discussion. No debate about him in starting 22, no debate about playing him behind the ball. Just a good forward and glad to have him back fit and firing.

older saint
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 1:57pm
older saint wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 10:30am Sharman couldn't do Cordy's role. 4 kg lighter , few cm smaller and Sharman isn't a grunt, grind and sacrifice type player.

Not having a dig… just that my frustration is that whenever people talk about his contribution they never actually talk about what he does
Bustling work
Role
Structure
Makes others look good
Grunt/grind

Everything except getting possessions, getting to contests or doing much of anything that directly influences.

It’s different to a guy like Caminati who sometimes has 7-8 possession game but you legitimately see him present a target and get to heaps of contests.

Cordy I barely see to the point I wonder if he’s subbed off. Balls generally not kicked towards him and then it’s all talk about the intangibles he brings to the table. Sometimes it feels like a cult to me.

I just don’t get what it is ppl think we’d miss if he wasn’t playing and whatever it is… we obviously don’t need it in last quarters
He made impact in the third. Mark and goal, then mark on the lead and rushed behind from 50. There was a ball up ( off memory ) where he created a hole which lead to handball out and goal.. I wasnt at the game so could only get that off the tv.
The WB game i watched live behind the goals and he worked blocks for Caminiti against bigger bodied Bruce and Heath and generally provided a bigger body in a very light forward line.

I think the sub has been a combination - Essendon was poor form, Yesterday was to bring in a runner and exploit carltons fatigue further also both around the ball and playing with an open forward line which can be opened up on turnover when fatigurd.

I see him like a front rower in NRL, do a lot of work early that doesnt necessarily get stats and then open the game up later for speed where other can exploit.

To me possessions are the most overrated stat in AFL now days. Carlton had top 5 possession winners on the field but apart form Cripps i didnt feel any others hurt us.
Anyway like i said i will be in minority here but without King or Hayes i cannot see anyone on the list who is fit to do this role.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 2:31pm

Bustling work
Role
Structure
Makes others look good
Grunt/grind

He made impact in the third. Mark and goal, then mark on the lead and rushed behind from 50. There was a ball up ( off memory ) where he created a hole which lead to handball out and goal.. I wasnt at the game so could only get that off the tv.
The WB game i watched live behind the goals and he worked blocks for Caminiti against bigger bodied Bruce and Heath and generally provided a bigger body in a very light forward line.

I think the sub has been a combination - Essendon was poor form, Yesterday was to bring in a runner and exploit carltons fatigue further also both around the ball and playing with an open forward line which can be opened up on turnover when fatigurd.

I see him like a front rower in NRL, do a lot of work early that doesnt necessarily get stats and then open the game up later for speed where other can exploit.

To me possessions are the most overrated stat in AFL now days. Carlton had top 5 possession winners on the field but apart form Cripps i didnt feel any others hurt us.
Anyway like i said i will be in minority here but without King or Hayes i cannot see anyone on the list who is fit to do this role.
Ironically I think the Essendon game is the one where he’s most harshly marked. Poor stats but he really wasn’t on the ground for all that long.
Was good against the Bulldogs. Best game by a mile.

Contrary to my frustrations… I don’t dislike him… I’d just like to see him more involved in the play.
I used the example of Caminati as he’s the one that’s most around the ball and competing/going grunt work that doesn’t necessarily translate to stats. Have no qualms with the mentality… just want to see him present more.

older saint
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 2:37pm
older saint wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 2:31pm

Bustling work
Role
Structure
Makes others look good
Grunt/grind

Ironically I think the Essendon game is the one where he’s most harshly marked. Poor stats but he really wasn’t on the ground for all that long.
Was good against the Bulldogs. Best game by a mile.

Contrary to my frustrations… I don’t dislike him… I’d just like to see him more involved in the play.
I used the example of Caminati as he’s the one that’s most around the ball and competing/going grunt work that doesn’t necessarily translate to stats. Have no qualms with the mentality… just want to see him present more.
Perhaps yesterday his role was to keep Weitering away and when Weitering went to Membrey it changed? Not sure wasn't there, but Weitering was quiet.

Saints58
Club Player

groupie1 wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 4:58am I agree.

Sharman in for Cordy.
Cordy in if Howard gets injured.

Sorry have to disagree with you Sharman has done nothing In the VFL to warrant a call up.
Cordy is very quick with his hands and some good hand balls to players running past he competes well and gets his odd goal does the 1% ross loves that.
Not raped in putting Owens in the ruck to valuable player to be pounded by big ruckman

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 3:49pm ...
Not raped in putting Owens in the ruck to valuable player to be pounded by big ruckman
Perhaps you meant "wrapped".

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 4:51pm
Nope - rapt - as in ‘in rapture’ or heaven bound

I love it when people correct others and get basic knowledge wrong

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 7:28pm
perfectionist wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 4:51pm
Nope - rapt - as in ‘in rapture’ or heaven bound

I love it when people correct others and get basic knowledge wrong
Oops. :oops: :wink: :wink:

Banger9798
SS Life Member

David Brent moment

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
realdeal
Club Player

Membrey is either one of the best kicks for goal in the AFL or he looks so unsure you can tell he's gonna miss before he even kicks it...

I think kicking a goal early helps settle him but to be fair he hadnt played a game for a fair while..

In regards to Cordy, he's obviously playing the role Lyon has set for him so he'll be playing this week.. I just dont see anyone he'd be replaced by at Sandy that allows us the keep the same structure.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Tom Campbell