Our team will look vastly different

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rubyjo
Club Player

Our team will look vastly different

Come the half way mark ..
Some big names will come back and give us a refreshing look heading into the pointy end of the season . Perhaps replacing some of the young warriors who have got us 3 zip..

What do you saintsaitional warriors think .
I wonder how it will play out many machinations about to unfold. Food for thought .

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our team will look vastly different

Was thinking about this today.
King for The Hammer
Membrey for one of Higgins or Butler
Steele for Windy or Bytel or Byrnes
Hayes for Cordy

I don’t even want to drop Caminiti or Windy or Byrnes. They’ve done so well so far.

As for Billings, Zak Jones, Dmac and Coffield - do they walk right back in? I’m not sure. I think not. If so, who makes way?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

st.byron wrote: Mon 03 Apr 2023 9:48pm Was thinking about this today.
King for The Hammer
Membrey for one of Higgins or Butler
Steele for Windy or Bytel or Byrnes
Hayes for Cordy

I don’t even want to drop Caminiti or Windy or Byrnes. They’ve done so well so far.

As for Billings, Zak Jones, Dmac and Coffield - do they walk right back in? I’m not sure. I think not. If so, who makes way?
Despite all of our injuries, only a handful will walk straight back into the team. Jack Steel a certainty, probably at the expense of Bytel. Caminiti probably makes way for King, but not if he kicks two or three goals each week. I'm not so sure RTB would drop Butler or Higgins for Membery, Philipou or Owens are the nearest like for like. And Jack Hayes would certainly need to earn his spot via the magoos.

To be brutally honest I'm not sure Zac is our best 22 these days. Personally I'd love to find a spot for Billings, he could slot in on a wing or half forward and possibly replace an injury or drop an out of form player. Coffield is an option in the back like, again a replacement for injury or form. Dmac I like, and I reckon RTB will really value this type of player. Like Hill, Mason Wood, Byrnes and Wanganeen he just runs those outside lines, which I suspect is the key to our game plan,

repta
Club Player

We have a lot of kids playing.
They will get tired and sore and will need rests.
They will be up and down in their development enthusiasm and impact.

It is just the nature of learning the game.
We couldn't take the number of kids we have playing into the finals. The bigger bodies will rag doll them.
There will be opportunities for the players coming back as well as for the kids

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I too have a feeling that some of the injured players will have a tough time getting back into the team. Without the fitness base that comes from a full pre season and match conditioning I don't think playing our game style would be possible. Obviously some come straight in like King, Steele and Membrey but Billings, Jones, Hayes and McKenzie might all have to put in a significant amount of time at Sandy before they're considered ready to displace someone in the senior side. I don't see an underdone Billings pushing Byrnes out when he's running 18kms in a game.

TBH I'd be stoked to see this team taking the field after the bye

B: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Sinclair, Battle, Stocker
C: Wood, Steele, Ross
HF: Hill, Membrey, Higgins
F: Gresham, King, Owens

Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Clark
Int: Phillipou, Windhager, NWM, Butler

That team may still be short one tall though. Any of Caminiti, Hayes, Campbell or Cordy would be a chance to get a spot as a third tall forward/relief ruck. I wouldn't mind seeing the Hammer get some ruck time once he no longer has to be the focal point of the forward line. He's tall enough and I imagine his follow up work at ground level would be very good.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

repta wrote: Tue 04 Apr 2023 12:04am We have a lot of kids playing.

We couldn't take the number of kids we have playing into the finals. The bigger bodies will rag doll them.
Philipou, Owens and maybe Nas would be omitted with the note 'managed', several times during the season.
Young bodies need rest.
They haven't put on muscle yet, but eventually, they will

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

repta wrote: Tue 04 Apr 2023 12:04am We have a lot of kids playing.

We took two second year "kids", Neale and Breen, and two first year "kids", Davis and Payze, into the 1966 finals. Nobody rag-dolled them and they went alright 👍.

Saint supporter since '62
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Having both King and Caminiti in the team is really powerful and will stretch opposition teams. One up and one deep. Membrey can also play that role, but I think Caminiti is worth persisting with until members is 100% fit.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

dare I say it ?....Depth ?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

In the inconceivable event that all players were available to play against the Suns, here's a suggested team (don't worry too much about the positions I've named them in):

B: Webster, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Sinclair, Battle, NWM
C: Wood, Steele, Hill
HF: Gresham, Hayes, Owens
F: Membrey, King, Higgins
Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Ross
Int: Clark, Stocker, Windhager, Butler
Sub: Billings

That leaves Byrnes, Phillipou, Caminiti, Paton, Cordy and Coffield out of the lineup, all of whom are, if fit, clearly on the fringe of selection IMO. Caminiti looks to me to be the real deal: if he could be developed as a second ruckman, then he'd be ahead of Hayes.

In reality, Hayes, along with Jones and McKenzie, all appear to be a long way off coming back to AFL: conceivably not this year.

It's amazing how much depth we suddenly appear to have. Of course, as was often said by plugger66 (who was a silly poster but has a good understanding of football), a club's depth always looks good while it's winning games, but the perspective can suddenly change with a string of losses.

(BTW, for the very few who might be interested, plugger66 appears to have thrown all the toys out of the cot on BF after - of all things - getting upset at other posters being unduly nasty about Jake Stringer. As he will presumably never be welcome back on here, I guess we won't have any further opportunity to read what he has to say about footy: a pity IMO, but I suspect I'm in a small minority.)

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I know someone that can join Plugger over there and if we want to read their babble we have the choice of visiting BF i guess.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon any players wit chronic injury issues, or are not recovering very well from serious injury, may just find themselves on the outer under Lyon. King and Membrey are probably next off the rank to get a senior game if they get fully fit, but the rest..might be a struggle

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The player that I think has most to consider is Josh Battle. As talented and brave as he is, Josh is not really big enough for a regular key position. Would not be surprised if Van Es has been marked to take over CHB. Josh then might replace Jimmy W as a regular. Can't see how Jimmy's body can keep coming back from all the punishment he gets. Higgins is vulnerable when Membrey gets fit, as long as he hasn't lost speed. Heath to take over from Cordy in due course. There is going to be an almighty scrap for places in a few months as guys recover, but new injuries always provide opportunities.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Tue 04 Apr 2023 8:47am In the inconceivable event that all players were available to play against the Suns, here's a suggested team (don't worry too much about the positions I've named them in):

B: Webster, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Sinclair, Battle, NWM
C: Wood, Steele, Hill
HF: Gresham, Hayes, Owens
F: Membrey, King, Higgins
Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Ross
Int: Clark, Stocker, Windhager, Butler
Sub: Billings

That leaves Byrnes, Phillipou, Caminiti, Paton, Cordy and Coffield out of the lineup, all of whom are, if fit, clearly on the fringe of selection IMO. Caminiti looks to me to be the real deal: if he could be developed as a second ruckman, then he'd be ahead of Hayes.

In reality, Hayes, along with Jones and McKenzie, all appear to be a long way off coming back to AFL: conceivably not this year.

It's amazing how much depth we suddenly appear to have. Of course, as was often said by plugger66 (who was a silly poster but has a good understanding of football), a club's depth always looks good while it's winning games, but the perspective can suddenly change with a string of losses.

(BTW, for the very few who might be interested, plugger66 appears to have thrown all the toys out of the cot on BF after - of all things - getting upset at other posters being unduly nasty about Jake Stringer. As he will presumably never be welcome back on here, I guess we won't have any further opportunity to read what he has to say about footy: a pity IMO, but I suspect I'm in a small minority.)
Minority of one, I suspect. :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 04 Apr 2023 9:11am I know someone that can join Plugger over there and if we want to read their babble we have the choice of visiting BF i guess.
If you mean vortex , he is already there under the name of cairnsman.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Suspect injuries and form will sort this out organically but imo the below is the side post bye tweaked from above.

B: Stocker, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Sinclair, Battle, NVW
C: Wood, Steele, Byrnes
HF: Hill, Membrey, Higgins
F: Gresham, King, Owens

Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Clark
Int: Phillipou, Ross, Billings, Butler

Emg/sub. Windhager, Paton, Bytel, Hayes, Hammer, Heath

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 04 Apr 2023 10:20am
The Fireman wrote: Tue 04 Apr 2023 9:11am I know someone that can join Plugger over there and if we want to read their babble we have the choice of visiting BF i guess.
Vortex/Cairnsman has some good football knowledge too, although he sometimes struggles to resist the temptation of prodding the ants nest with a stick.

I think that for some reason I lack the gene that would make me get angry when other people fail to agree with me, and that makes me more tolerant of these types of posters. (Athough I also acknowledge that plugger66 thoroughly deserved to be banned for life from SS a few years back for reasons that had nothing to do with his views about football.)

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Tue 04 Apr 2023 11:05am
Vortex/Cairnsman has some good football knowledge too, although he sometimes struggles to resist the temptation of prodding the ants nest with a stick.

I think that for some reason I lack the gene that would make me get angry when other people fail to agree with me, and that makes me more tolerant of these types of posters. (Athough I also acknowledge that plugger66 thoroughly deserved to be banned for life from SS a few years back for reasons that had nothing to do with his views about football.)
his football knowledge is based on negativity and the bleeding obvious.
Feels the over-the-top need to win any debate which clogs the place up and is usually baseless jargon and then there's the prodding. Then sprouts off that he has a PhD which pretty much says it all.
just a destabilising influence over all. as popular as a wart on ass around here.
Unfortunately i don't lack that gene ;)
Last edited by The Fireman on Tue 04 Apr 2023 12:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

older saint
SS Life Member

Will be interesting -Steele, Membrey and King only locks to come in for me ( last 2 may have a run at Sandy first ).
Beyond that Billings, Coffield, Webster likely available but far from automatic selections after such a long lay off.

Mckenzie, Jones, Hayes, Allison further off again.

Form will drop off for some and there will be further injuries however you would think the guys in the most danger using this weeks teams - Cordy, Caminiti, Brynes. Young blokes will need a rest at some point probably
Back 6 looks very settled.

B: Stocker, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Sinclair, Battle NWM
C: Wood, Crouch, Hill
HF: Butler, Membrey, Owens
F: Butler, King, Gresham
Foll: Marshall, Steele, Ross

Int: Phillipou, Clark , Windy, Paton

Emerg: Cordy, Caminti, Billings, Webster/Coffield

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

we started the season missing 8-9 likely first team players. the good news is now likely only 3 of them would come straight back in when properly fit. the rest will need to earn their spot or get an opportunity through injury or need rest. it's a goo position to be in - even better if those returning do earn a spot.of course things always look better when you're winning but so far very happy with the performances of newbies - cami, pooi, and stockerii. mitchi and nasi look to have taken a step up in the challanging second year, and as for fringe dweller woodi - wow!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 04 Apr 2023 11:29am
meher baba wrote: Tue 04 Apr 2023 11:05am

his football knowledge is based on negativity and the bleeding obvious.
Feels the over-the-top need to win any debate which clogs the place up and is usually baseless jargon and then there's the prodding. Then sprouts off that he has a PhD which pretty much says it all.
just a destabilising influence over all. as popular as a wart on ass around here.
Unfortunately i don't lack that gene ;)
PhD? Yeah sure. Just like the 10 grand he promised to put on the bar. Just pure crap.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Selection based on effort not reputation and seniority will be the big change.

A skillful player who normally would only put in enough effort to retain his place will now reside at Sandringham.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.