Racial abuse

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Racial abuse

Instead of talking up the saints following a great and unexpected win. all the journos will have their stories centered on the arsehole "fan" who racially abuse a bulldogs indigenous player.

What is the matter with some brain dead morons. Well I suppose being brain dead supplies at least part of the reason.

I hope he/she/it is identified and barred for life.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... e984eede2b

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Racial abuse

No place for it complete disgrace.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 6:58pm No place for it complete disgrace.
Yep, agree mate.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Sadly, there’ll always be racism in some form. You can only do so much to discourage it in educating people.

What a shame Jamarra Ugle-Hagan had to put up with that :(
I don’t have access to the article, but I can only hope the offender has been given a lengthy ban to rethink their actions.
Last edited by Sainternist on Fri 31 Mar 2023 3:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Club says it will not stand for this and rightly so.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1291880/ ... d-for-this

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

How is it certain it was a Saints supporter. Person must have already been identified?
We have a number of Indigenous players and the legacy of Nicky. Unacceptable and incomprehensible.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately it exists in every clubs' fanbase.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

From the hun.

"Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is spending time away from the Western Bulldogs after being the target of “horrific” racist abuse as the hunt continues for the culprit.
Jon Ralph
and
Chris Cavanagh

/
Duration 1:52
Saints light up Bulldogs at Marvel

Western Bulldogs young gun Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is spending the day away from the club after being affected by “horrific” racist comments which were directed at him over the weekend.

Bulldogs players arrived at Whitten Oval this morning for recovery work, but Ugle-Hagan was not among them after being given the day off by the club.

The key forward is understood to be hurting after hearing the comments made by a member of the crowd during the Bulldogs’ loss to St Kilda at Marvel Stadium on Saturday night.

The AFL Integrity Unit and St Kilda are investigating the incident and are working to identify the fan involved.

After the game Ugle-Hagan was separately racially abused on social media.

Dogs chief executive Ameet Bains said the racist comments were “beyond disgusting” and “horrific on every level”.

It is understood supporters sitting in the vicinity of the offending patron have called into the clubs to confirm the comments.

Those fans could help to identify the offender and see them banned for the racist comments.

The AFL labelled the racism as “inexcusable” and urged supporters to report similar incidents to the league’s integrity hotline.

Ugle-Hagan is shaken and upset by the comments, having spoken often of his pride at his indigenous heritage after growing up in the Framlingham community near Warrnambool.

The Dogs said in a statement they were “saddened by the constant need to reinforce the negative impact this has on the individuals concerned and all First Nations people”.

“The Western Bulldogs strongly condemn the harmful and abhorrent racist remarks aimed at Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, during and following last night’s match against St Kilda,” the club said.

“Racism of any kind does not belong in our game, nor in our society.

“We cannot tolerate it. Comments like these are extremely upsetting and cause significant hurt and harm for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. They are said to intentionally harm, and we continue to be confronted by them as a community.

“The club is supporting Jamarra, his family, and others within the club who have justifiably been impacted by this event. The club has contacted the AFL Integrity Department, and thanks the St Kilda Football Club for investigating the matter and working to identify the individuals concerned.”

In three weeks St Kilda will commemorate the 30th anniversary of Nicky Winmar’s famous stand against racism when he lifted his jumper after racist crowd abuse at Victoria Park and proclaimed: “I’m black and I’m proud”.

But Winmar told the Herald Sun last month he worried about the lack of progress over racism.

“Enough is enough. I have got five grandkids who are going to come through in the next generation,” he said.

“Are they going to be treated the same? No, it hasn’t improved. What gives people the right to stand there and say nasty things. What is wrong with these people?”

St Kilda said in a statement: “We will not stand for this. The club takes these matters incredibly seriously and condemns vilification of any kind.

“To be repeatedly addressing these repugnant instances of racism is a blight on our game and society. We will continue to stamp out and call out this unacceptable behaviour by having these important conversations, as well as make ongoing education available for the wider community.”

The AFL also released a statement on Sunday: “Racism is inexcusable and is never OK.

“Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is a young 20-year-old player trying to forge a career as an AFL footballer. An impressive young man in which part of his pride and strength comes from his family. We stand with his family in calling out the racist comments, comments that cause significant hurt and harm for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

“The AFLIU (Integrity Unit) has been contacted by both the Western Bulldogs and the St Kilda Football club and will now work with both clubs to provide support for those impacted and investigate the matter, working towards identifying the individuals concerned.

“We strongly support all our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander players and condemn the racial vilification of anyone in the community in football.”

Dr Dvir Abramovich, Chairman of leading civil rights organisation the Anti-Defamation Commission, told the Herald Sun: “I am sickened to the stomach by this evil. This attack on Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is a disgrace and is timely reminder that unvarnished racism endures as a pervasive stain and a menace on our community.

“The ADC stands with Jamarra Ugle-Hagan during this difficult time and expresses its unbending solidarity. This type of bigoted rhetoric is an affront to every Australian and tears to shreds our shared ideas. It compels each one of us to voice our zero-tolerance to this kind of hate, on and off the field, and to push against this ugliness.

“We are heartened that the Western Bulldogs and St Kilda Football Club are countering this abhorrent outburst with decisive action and have sent the unequivocal message that such vilification will not go unanswered.

“Sporting clubs and public figures are role models for many, and must employ their public standing, fame and following to inspire young people to stand shoulder to shoulder and declare that prejudice will never find a haven in our game and in our country. This individual must be banned for life from attending any sporting matches, and if they are a member of an AFL club, immediately be shown the door.”

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I used to think banning and severe punishment was the way racism should be handled.

I have since evolved through great relationships with indigenous leaders in the reconciliation space who believe education is possibly the better route.

The person involved should be given the opportunity to reflect and apologise firstly, if the person gets through that act of accountability then agreeing to an education process should also be part of the process when considering if that person should be allowed to attend AFL again.

Better to educate people so they might become educators too than place them on the other side of a division.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 2:12pm Unfortunately it exists in every clubs' fanbase.
You would love to think it won't happen from our club, but reality is, as you say, - it's a Bell curve

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Likely to be a Bulldog fan unhappy with the performance

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 2:28pm I used to think banning and severe punishment was the way racism should be handled.

I have since evolved through great relationships with indigenous leaders in the reconciliation space who believe education is possibly the better route.

The person involved should be given the opportunity to reflect and apologise firstly, if the person gets through that act of accountability then agreeing to an education process should also be part of the process when considering if that person should be allowed to attend AFL again.

Better to educate people so they might become educators too than place them on the other side of a division.
Nope. I am more into crime and punishment where racism is involved. The arsewipe cretin has had more than enough time to educate himself/herself.

I don't want to have to suffer such imbeciles when I go to a footy game.

Had enough of it listening to low self esteem dropkicks abusing Raph Clarke, and filth supporters abusing their own indigenous players.

A life ban is more of a deterrent to other like minded fools
Last edited by saynta on Mon 27 Mar 2023 4:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 1:50pm How is it certain it was a Saints supporter. Person must have already been identified?
We have a number of Indigenous players and the legacy of Nicky. Unacceptable and incomprehensible.
This was my first thought as they've said they are looking to identify the person . Also was it one person or more who heard the comment because surely many would be able to give a good description of the culprit.
In regard to the online trolling , surely this kind of stuff can be easily traced ?

In red white and black from 73
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 4:31pm Likely to be a Bulldog fan unhappy with the performance
I think that all reports seem to indicate it was one of our own unfortunately.

SaintWiki
Club Player

It's not good enough and the perpetrator should be punished to demonstrate it won't be tolerated. The AFL have been leading the way in taking a firm stance, but I have a lot to do with an Aboriginal page where it is necessary for the page to ban many extreme racists every day. There are very many sections of the wider community that are openly racist so don't expect this sort of thing to go away as quickly as we'd like, just maintain firm punishment and provide appropriate education programs, that's all that can be done.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

SaintWiki wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 5:04pm It's not good enough and the perpetrator should be punished to demonstrate it won't be tolerated. The AFL have been leading the way in taking a firm stance, but I have a lot to do with an Aboriginal page where it is necessary for the page to ban many extreme racists every day. There are very many sections of the wider community that are openly racist so don't expect this sort of thing to go away as quickly as we'd like, just maintain firm punishment and provide appropriate education programs, that's all that can be done.
Firm punishment, like what? Talk about pouring petrol on a fire.

You don't win hearts and minds with firm punishment, just build resentment.

The Aboriginal fellas Vortex knows, are right.

Also, not discussing race with a manic obsession may help. I wonder about people consumed by the issue.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying you're obsessed with the issue.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

It's against the law to racially vilify another person. It should be investigated by the police.

I feel sorry for Jamarra.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 2:28pm I used to think banning and severe punishment was the way racism should be handled.

100% correct Vort. Sometimes racial abuse is born out of ignorance. I was never taught about the Stolen Generation or the dreadful treatment of our indigenous communities over the years. I was educated through work and then working with indigenous businesses and communities. People don’t always have education opportunities, this is an opportunity to change a person for the better.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 6:24pm It's against the law to racially vilify another person. It should be investigated by the police.

I feel sorry for Jamarra.
I'm sure the Police have better things to do and if they don't there's too many of them.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 4:31pm Likely to be a Bulldog fan unhappy with the performance
That’s what I don’t get - it’s appalling but where’s the definitive proof it was a Saints supporter??
How do we go from the below to - It’s definitely a Saints fan???
I will not be at all surprised if a disgruntled Dogs fan is found guilty …. It doesn’t change the behaviour but gee ….media quick to apportion blame..

I find it odd….we were up all night …belting them…the Saints fans angst couldn’t be that high surely ..

This from Lethlean:

St Kilda CEO Simon Lethlean confirmed on Monday that the club had not been able to identify the Saints fan who made the racist remark.
"As far as we know, it was a comment Jamarra heard, which was totally inappropriate from, he thought, a St Kilda supporter area, so we're working to try and find out who that was," he said.

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 6:25pm

100% correct Vort. Sometimes racial abuse is born out of ignorance. I was never taught about the Stolen Generation or the dreadful treatment of our indigenous communities over the years. I was educated through work and then working with indigenous businesses and communities. People don’t always have education opportunities, this is an opportunity to change a person for the better.
Yeah nice one HF.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

there's something not quite right with this propaganda exercise

as the story broke , Jamarra was reported as saying
he knew nothing about it until the boys told him in the rooms

and who is this power tripper ?
(Dr Dvir Abramovich)

in fact , lots of pontification/s going on
... if one was to look

all lined up , so neatly like

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I don’t think it matters who the lame brain belongs to

Anyone who yells racial abuse at a game in this day and age is obviously a tile short of a roof and probably beyond help

Permanent banning would help the situation

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yep, I agree firey. The AFL should impose a substantial if not a life ban.

Racial abuse is a crime. Leave the softcock stuff to the courts should this dropkick be charged,

If they haven't learnt by now they never will.

I will be embarrassed if this loser is a saints supporter

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

BTW, how's the Hawthorn racism review going. Must be pretty much under the carpet now, has it been months? Complete inertia? Played AFL! Inquired into oblivion; these things are always better when left to fester, not.
Two main protagonists coaching, report author charged with fraud. And......radio silence? Fans treated as fools? Were the charges valid or not? Few journos went right off, now......?