Round 2 Side

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 2 Side

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 22 Mar 2023 11:43pm Butler is your bread and butter VFL player if that's how you wish to frame the discussion. Makes Kent look OK.
Dan just can't score or defend in the big league. Sharman and Highmore bring far more to the table. Both good marks and Sharman excellent kick.
Blooding Peris would be a better long term investment.
VFL players aren't like vintage wines: they aren't going to be significantly better just because you haven't set eyes on them for a while. Sharman had a great start in AFL but has shown relatively little since then. Highmore has never shown much at all. If Butler is dropped, we will to be light on for players who can provide defensive pressure inside our forward 50, and I can't see that either Sharman or Highmore can help in that regard. It is conceivable that one could play in place of Webster: I'd prefer Sharman, but neither are going to be half as good as Jimmy.

Peris needs to get a game at AFL level before the end of the season. It'd be great if he was ready right now: I will defer to others who might have watched him play or train this year.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Club Player

I accept most of what you say meher baba but disagree that Tom Highmore has shown not much at all. I think in the games he played in 2021 he was actually reasonably good. Last year I think he was given litte opportunity and when he was he froze in the spotlight perhaps due to the pressure he was under to retain his spot. We have too many half backs.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 23 Mar 2023 9:05am
Yorkeys wrote: Wed 22 Mar 2023 11:43pm Butler is your bread and butter VFL player if that's how you wish to frame the discussion. Makes Kent look OK.
Dan just can't score or defend in the big league. Sharman and Highmore bring far more to the table. Both good marks and Sharman excellent kick.

It would destroy Peris to play him with the big boys way ahead of time. Quality and safe player development also involves knowing when a player is ready to step up to the AFL level.
Haha. His mother once said that other coaches thought he would never be a national champion sprinter.

Too small they said. So, she coached him herself until they academy coaches swallowed their pride.
At 17, he turned his attention to football.
He could have chosen any academy, but he probably picked Larry Moe and Curly to take on.
Larry has gone, Curly is on the way out and Moe is now a leading forward playing on intercept markers.
Meanwhile, Peris spent a fair chunk of the early pre-season, sharking goals and learning to kick bananas and boomerangs under Ross Lyons tutorage. He has skills to work on, but his role will be to be lightning quick and not get caught, not roaming around chasing clangers and defenders.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 23 Mar 2023 11:42am

It would destroy Peris to play him with the big boys way ahead of time. Quality and safe player development also involves knowing when a player is ready to step up to the AFL level.
Haha. His mother once said that other coaches thought he would never be a national champion sprinter.

Too small they said. So, she coached him herself until they academy coaches swallowed their pride.
He could have chosen any academy, but he probably picked Larry Moe and Curly to take on.
Larry has gone, Curly is on the way out and Moe is now a leading forward playing on intercept markers.
Meanwhile, Peris spent a fair chunk of the early pre-season, sharking goals and learning to kick bananas and boomerangs under Ross Lyons tutorage. He has skills to work on, but his role will be to be lightning quick and not get caught, not roaming around chasing clangers and defenders.
Stop it! You are getting me excited.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Vortex wrote: Thu 23 Mar 2023 11:49am
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 23 Mar 2023 11:42am

Stop it! You are getting me excited.
Peris was the first player Ross Lyon mentioned as being impressive in the Sandringham practice match.

Played well in the intraclub too.

older saint
SS Life Member

Out: Webster, Bytel Paton
IN: Ross, Windy, Highmore

Sub Windy

My guess

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Out - Webster & Bytel
In - Paton & Windhager

Sub - Connolly

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Teams are in.

Ross, Paton in
Webster, Bytel out
Sub from Windy, Highmore, Peris, Campbell
Last edited by Otiman on Thu 23 Mar 2023 6:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Bytel also confirmed as missing from the Round 2 side

Rubyjo
Club Player

Treloar out probably spelt that wrong..but huge out

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

So Windy Sub then.

Treloar out helps...still a massive challenge.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Easy win coming up

BadRossco
Club Player

Have to agree Fireman, assuming you mean it will be the dogs easy win

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 23 Mar 2023 8:56pm Easy win coming up
Yep.
For sure.

We actually beat the Bulldogs in 2020- 3 points.

Makes sense we’ll get this by 30-33, I call 33.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Hopefully we come to play, because our last two matches vs the Bulldogs have been two of the worst efforts I've ever seen from a St Kilda side.

Both games were over in the 2nd quarter.

2021 Round 10 - Q2 23 mins - STK 13 vs WB 62
2022 Round 18 - Q2 23 mins - STK 8 vs WB 52

spert
Saintsational Legend

Slow starts have cost us games in the past, and at least we got the score on the board last week early. I reckon the Dogs will be all out attack, and our midfield just need to be up and about from the first bounce.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Is sub announced only just before the ball is bounced?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I've got a feeling the win against Freo will say more about them and how poorly they played.

Freo stuffed up a lot especially when they got on the outside and their F50 entries.

I think the Dogs will open us up this week, hopefully it isn't ugly.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 24 Mar 2023 6:54pm I've got a feeling the win against Freo will say more about them and how poorly they played.

Freo stuffed up a lot especially when they got on the outside and their F50 entries.

what I expected from you. :wink:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 24 Mar 2023 7:45pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 24 Mar 2023 6:54pm I've got a feeling the win against Freo will say more about them and how poorly they played.

what I expected from you. :wink:
Objectivity?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Freo were certainly dreadful last week, faffing around with the ball going forward much like we did under Richo and in the second half of 2022. They lacked confidence, which was a bit odd when you consider that most commentators assume they will be in the final 8, possibly even the top 4.

The Bulldogs will surely bring everything to the game tonight and will consequently be much tougher opponents than Freo. They have some dangerous players, but fewer than when we beat them in the 2020 finals. As always, the midfield battle will be the key: unless we can greatly restrict the amount of ball going into their forward 50, their forward line plus the Bont will be too much for our defence to handle, even if Howard, Wilkie and Battle can all play at their very best.

So I would think the Dogs deserve to be favourites, but am hoping it will be a reasonably close contest. And, with Lyon in charge, I fancy our chances in close contests.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Sat 25 Mar 2023 8:29am Freo were certainly dreadful last week, faffing around with the ball going forward much like we did under Richo and in the second half of 2022. They lacked confidence, which was a bit odd when you consider that most commentators assume they will be in the final 8, possibly even the top 4.

The Bulldogs will surely bring everything to the game tonight and will consequently be much tougher opponents than Freo. They have some dangerous players, but fewer than when we beat them in the 2020 finals. As always, the midfield battle will be the key: unless we can greatly restrict the amount of ball going into their forward 50, their forward line plus the Bont will be too much for our defence to handle, even if Howard, Wilkie and Battle can all play at their very best.

So I would think the Dogs deserve to be favourites, but am hoping it will be a reasonably close contest. And, with Lyon in charge, I fancy our chances in close contests.
Freo is an interesting one, I note your view on Acres and Freo dumping him which was because they rate their midfield and also to free up salary cap to bring in Jackson which also meant losing Lobb so they are going to be an interesting watch, they should make easy work of North this week at home but if they don't then those trades might come into sharp focus over the next week.

With regards to fancying our chances in close contests, I probably do with a smaller injury list but only on the proviso we are in front, I couldn't see us being capable of coming from behind in a close one, especially this weekend with the personnel we have in the forward line. The Dogs midfield should account for ours this weekend.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Vortex "...I couldn't see us being capable of coming from behind in a close one"

My recollection is that we didn't come from behind very often under Lyon: the first 2010 GF being something of an exception.

In games against the better sides, we'd do all we could to stay close or slightly ahead of our opponents until the last quarter, and then we'd either hold on or fold (mostly the former). I like Lyon's metaphor of "taking them to the deep end": it sums his approach up well.

- Jonathan Swift
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 23 Mar 2023 9:55pm
The Fireman wrote: Thu 23 Mar 2023 8:56pm Easy win coming up
Yep.
For sure.

We actually beat the Bulldogs in 2020- 3 points.

Makes sense we’ll get this by 30-33, I call 33.
We beat them earlier in that season by 7 goals too.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.