Round 2 Side

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Round 2 Side

Assuming Webster, Windhager, Membrey and Ross all available.

Windhager in
Membrey in
Ross VFL (soft tissue injury)

Stocker Howard Wilkie
Sinclair Battle Wang
Hill Steele Byrnes
Wood Membrey Owens
Higgins Caminiti Gresham

Marshall Crouch Clark

Webster, Phillipou, Paton, Bytel

Sub: Windhager

Out: Cordy and Butler

If Webster doesn't get up then Windhager moves into the 22 and Butler to sub

If membrey doesn't get up then Cordy remains in

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Round 2 Side

I reckon Caminiti and Sharman should alternate until one of them plays a blinder.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Membrey won’t be available for another 4 weeks at least.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 12:38am I reckon Caminiti and Sharman should alternate until one of them plays a blinder.
That's certainly not going to happen!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 12:38am I reckon Caminiti and Sharman should alternate until one of them plays a blinder.
That's certainly not going to happen!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Most of our injured regular first team players still seem to be a fair way off. Perhaps Ross and Windhager are close, and there would be spots for both in the team: replacing Bytel and Butler. If Webster is out next week, then I guess Paton would come into the first team: not exactly a like for like, but I think the structure can be slightly adjusted in order to acommodate that change. Sharman for Webster would be another option: not quite as good a one in my opinion, but it's the sort of role that in which I reckon Sharman will perform better than up forward.

I don't think there is any chance of a change to the forward line, other than Butler coming out for a returning midfielder, if one is ready (and Gresham consequently spending more of his time forward: although that would be pity, as he is a terrific shock trooper in the middle). I reckon Caminiti, Phillipou and Cordy are all much better options up forward than Sharman, who is basically the sort of run, jump and mark forward that modern defences have become very good at shutting out of the game. Like Ratten, I reckon that Sharman's future in AFL, if he has one, will be down back. Sad for him, but AFL is pretty Darwinian these days.

- Jonathan Swift
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Webster out, Paton in
Windy in, Butler out
Sharman Sub

George27
Club Player

Assuming Windhager is fit, he comes into midfield , Gresham to play forward, and Butler out.

If Webster out, then I agree Paton into the 22. Maybe Sharman as the sub, as a bit of a swingman.

Unless Ross comes back, Bytel keeps his spot.

George27
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 8:51am Webster out, Paton in
Windy in, Butler out
Sharman Sub
Sorry Otiman - while I was ever so carefully crafting my team and preparing my post, you got in ahead of me and posted exactly the same team !

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Ross will come straight back in if he's peachy keen and right to go. I can't see him being nursed through the VFL.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps Windhager for Butler?

Small forward - gotta take your opportunities
Butler had the first two shots at goal
1 behind and then
Didn’t make the distance from 45

After that - no impact

older saint
SS Life Member

Need to consider the fact the WB at times went with 4 talls foward. With that being the case IF Webster is out perhaps a Highmore may be a better like for like option as opposed to a Paton?

Membrey for Cordy (if he is fit).
Otherwise need to consider how much the injured guys have missed - Ross, Windhager,

Otherwise as is

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

We also need to have someone who can pinch hit in the ruck to give Marshall a break, to that end Cordy probably should stay in.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Updated. If Ross is available then one of Campbell, Cordy or Butler make way.

Campbell and Cordy both in the side allow for a lot flexibility in terms of our forward 6 and also allows for cordy to go back if required.

Pou as sub to protect him more than anything, will inject serious class once the game has slowed down if the sub remains a tactical and not an injury based move.

Stocker Howard Wilkie
Sinclair Battle Wang
Hill Steele Byrnes
Wood Owens Higgins
Cordy Caminiti Gresham

Marshall Crouch Clark

Campbell, Windhager, Paton, Butler

Sub: Phillipou

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Phillipou as the sub?..No f****** way.
Last edited by saynta on Wed 22 Mar 2023 2:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 22 Mar 2023 1:39am Updated. If Ross is available then one of Campbell, Cordy or Butler make way.

Campbell and Cordy both in the side allow for a lot flexibility in terms of our forward 6 and also allows for cordy to go back if required.

Pou as sub to protect him more than anything, will inject serious class once the game has slowed down if the sub remains a tactical and not an injury based move.

Stocker Howard Wilkie
Sinclair Battle Wang
Hill Steele Byrnes
Wood Owens Higgins
Cordy Caminiti Gresham

Marshall Crouch Clark

Campbell, Windhager, Paton, Butler

Sub: Phillipou
Why would we play Campbell? Marshall will go forward from the ruck and so will Tim English.

I'd rather see if Cordy can track/run with English while Marshall goes forward and stretches the Bulldogs defence, who may not have Jones.

I'd get Caminiti to run Josh Bruce around and get Marshall to head straight for Keath and let Higgins, Gresham and Phiilipou get to work on finding space and exploiting ground work in dangerous zones.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 22 Mar 2023 10:57am Phillipou as the sub?..No f****** way.
It's not meant as a reflection on him.

The bloke has done one AFL preseason and is playing in a team with a gamestyle that is extremely taxing on his body.

By starting as the sub we protect him a little bit and his class will be even more evident coming on fresh when everyone else is slowing down.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 22 Mar 2023 2:58pm
saynta wrote: Wed 22 Mar 2023 10:57am Phillipou as the sub?..No f****** way.
It's not meant as a reflection on him.

The bloke has done one AFL preseason and is playing in a team with a gamestyle that is extremely taxing on his body.

By starting as the sub we protect him a little bit and his class will be even more evident coming on fresh when everyone else is slowing down.
He is a confidence player. Let him.play and get out of the way. He didn't just decide he might have a go. He was going to be either an elite basketbsller or an elite AFL player. He came prepared better than quite a few bloke who sit in the system getting protected by playing older players with less skill.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

I back the coach to explain the rationale and him to understand it without losing confidence.

Will probably depend how sore he is.

Would rather he sub occasionally than have to be rested in a few weeks.

Saints58
Club Player

I would defiantly play Phillipou I would bring in WH for webster and Campbell for bytel with both Marshall and Campbell one rucking while the other is forward they would really stretch the WB defence with cordy and Caminiti Paton in and butler as sub extra speed if we need it later or if bigs are not working!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

We are going to miss Jimmy's left foot coming out of defence, and his physicality.

When I watched, several times, that Freo bloke clock his ear drum late in the game and he tried to play on, I took back any disparaging comments I might have made over the years in the heat of disappointment. A warrior and important piece of the defence.

Funny game footy, Jimmy gets the side of his head rearranged, play on. Bit of a jumper tug = goal.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 9:34am Perhaps Windhager for Butler?

Small forward - gotta take your opportunities
Butler had the first two shots at goal
1 behind and then
Didn’t make the distance from 45

After that - no impact
Perhaps I'm alone in this perspective, obviously including RTB, but perhaps if Higgins & Gresham applied similar pressure when St Kilda does not have the ball, Butler may be a recipient of some easy goals.

I like what Butler brings, pressure wise, I do not like his cute stuff that invariably result in a turnover.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I can't see Buttler going out, maybe Sub, but clearly we are at the critical tipping point for the amount of AFL grade performers, or lack of we can compensate being in the side.

Putting up an argument for Buttler making us better in the current crisis, we are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel and beggars can't be choosers.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Butler is your bread and butter VFL player if that's how you wish to frame the discussion. Makes Kent look OK.
Dan just can't score or defend in the big league. Sharman and Highmore bring far more to the table. Both good marks and Sharman excellent kick.
Blooding Peris would be a better long term investment.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 22 Mar 2023 11:43pm Butler is your bread and butter VFL player if that's how you wish to frame the discussion. Makes Kent look OK.
Dan just can't score or defend in the big league. Sharman and Highmore bring far more to the table. Both good marks and Sharman excellent kick.
Blooding Peris would be a better long term investment.

It would destroy Peris to play him with the big boys way ahead of time. Quality and safe player development also involves knowing when a player is ready to step up to the AFL level.