Rate Ryan Byrnes’ game!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmike65
Club Player

Re: Rate Ryan Byrnes’ game!

skeptic wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 8:49pm 27 touches -
19 kicks, 8 handballs, 1 tackle, 5 marks

On stats… a fantastic performance. Was lively and present all day and quite a few had him in the votes but I have to say that his numbers surprised me a bit.

His best quarter was the second (10 touches) which felt to me like our worst.

Very hard for me to get a read on this kid. Obviously this was a big step forward from him from last year… was present all day, quality opposition, got lots of touches etc. is he damaging enough though?

The big challenge is his kicking which is a bit iffy at times… he has this odd kicking motion with his short kicks like he stabs at the ball… kind of accurate but goes up a lot.

I don’t know… what do others think? Seems like he may be a small step away from really elevating his game like he threatened to do a year or two back. What does he need to do and what’s his best role?
I’ve watched him a fair bit at training, noticed he seems to kick better with his left when on the move.
Best position is wing.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

New coaches have given him confidence. Always had ability.
Did you know we sponsor Ryan.
As you know commentators kept calling him Bytel. Loved it when Ryan hit Jack B with a bullet pass resulting in a goal. Could feel the embarrassed heads exploding in 7 call box. Loved it. Specially the prolonged pause.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 4:06pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 3:43pm
B.M wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 2:00pm Dunstan unfairly maligned?

He was a butcher - horrible technique - kicked scrubbers

Byrnes

Easily a better kick, does kick running at high speed a bit. Not that easy.
Yep, very unfairly.

I've seen Dunstan hit King on the lead running thru the middle 50m lace out.

I haven't seen Byrnes do anything like that yet, not saying he won't in the future.

I like both players.

But I'd also like to move towards being a highly skilled team, and if that means Byrnes working on mastering the R Harvey 30m dink pass inside 50, do it.
You mean like the Byrnes 30m sizzler to Bytel for a goal in the 2nd quarter?
Sizzler?

Was a nice kick off one step under little pressure to hit a target, kudos. That's the exact kind of R Harvey pass I referred to earlier that I think he should master.

I didn't like his attempt going inside 50 a few minutes before that tho.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 9:24am

Byrnes

Yep, very unfairly.

I haven't seen Byrnes do anything like that yet, not saying he won't in the future.

I like both players.

But I'd also like to move towards being a highly skilled team, and if that means Byrnes working on mastering the R Harvey 30m dink pass inside 50, do it.
Sizzler?

Was a nice kick off one step under little pressure to hit a target, kudos. That's the exact kind of R Harvey pass I referred to earlier that I think he should master.

He went inside 5 times for a scoredoard result of 2.1. How many entries did we have and what was our score?
He lowered his eyes and hit Phillipou and Bytel and the third entry you speak of in a 7 min period of play, directly after our captain and vice captain lost the plot and the lead.
In the old days, they call that, keeping us in it.

The attempt he made was spot on. He lowered his eyes and defined a target but delivered poor execution.
Given his output for the day, I forgot about it very quickly. I've learnt to do that.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

I liked his game. Played very well - no criticisms of note given no one ever plays the perfect game.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Looks like Roscoe has confidence in him, which is a start.

Someone said a 2023 version of Clint Jones, which I thought not a bad analogy. A long way to go for him, but I was impressed with his run and willingness to take the game on.

StPeter
Club Player

I will have no problem if he turns out as well as Clint Jones.

He was underrated by many Saint supporters.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 4:44pm New coaches have given him confidence. Always had ability.
Did you know we sponsor Ryan.
As you know commentators kept calling him Bytel. Loved it when Ryan hit Jack B with a bullet pass resulting in a goal. Could feel the embarrassed heads exploding in 7 call box. Loved it. Specially the prolonged pause.
It was Foxtel call box. Seven didn't do the game.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 9:01pm Tries his guts out but his kicking is a real worry, 2023 version of Clint Jones?
I genuinely reckon there's a place for this kind of player. Earns $200,000, runs all day and fights his guts out to keep his career alive by giving 120% every week.

Can make a living out of that. I hope that's what Byrnes does for us. I hope he goes so well in the coming years that someone comes along and offers him $500k and we get a very nice compensation pick for him (unless he becomes so good that we're better off keeping him - never know).

Just the one tackle, however. Would have traded a few of those touches for some tackles. Still, a terrific game, easily his best ever.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Byrnes is exactly the type of player Lyon will get the most out of.
Now onto dougal

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Do S every player hit every target going i50?

I remember Dunstan scrubbing the ball along the ground - he seriously couldn’t kick!

Byrnes missing a few kicks doesn’t equate to a ball butcher

Gresham is more of an issue with regards to his kicking

If we took Sunday as reference- Nasiah was horrible by foot

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Byrnes had 5 I50's for a total of 2.1. that's 60% efficiency and hit Phillipou and Bytel lace out, through congestion. This was just after the period were we gave up the lead to 2 50m penalties and let Freo kick 3 in a row. He got us back in the game, with great effect at a crucial time.

He bombed 2 others in, under pressure, both resulted in turnovers that were cut off because that is what we were seting up for, that was obvious. He also had a clanger, that missed completely.
The team had 43% return from I50's.
He played 80 percent of his time on field on the defensive side of centre, in a full press. He ran 14 klm's and gained more metres than anyone else at 580 and uses both feet to avoid running around in circles, choking up the run of play.
We've been screaming for a game plan, are we sure we know what one looks like?

Killa
Club Player

Good skills, good pace and neat off both sides by foot

The mids all did extra work with only brief spells on the bench

They all performed well

The running of Hill was most impressive including particularly his defensive running

Anyone saying Clark is not fit is off the mark When he comes back on from the bench he absolutely lopes, covering ground at pace

No 47 was out of position in front of the Interchange conceding an uncontested mark and really paid out on himself And I mean really paid out Very clearly heard

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 12:45pm I will have no problem if he turns out as well as Clint Jones.

He was underrated by many Saint supporters.
Yes, agree.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Another VIP invite?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I think the previous coach limited Byrnes' and Bytel's opportunities to show their wares.

Hopefully that will now change.

I think Lenny and Banger will both be in the corner. Hope so anyway.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps they weren’t ready

Or not as good as those occupying their spots

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 9:00pm Perhaps they weren’t ready

Or not as good as those occupying their spots
Looking at this game in isolation, it's clear, when we go to those goals, we saw what we have missed. Byrnes in a dangerous spot outside congested 50, not chasing the ball, and on two different occasions, Phillipou and Bytel squared him up with good positioning.
There was method to what was going on, I haven’t seen that in a while.

I'm not expecting immediate sustained results, but our list is proving to be better than expected soo er than expected. If anything was identified Sunday night, St.Kilda has recently drafted a considerable amount of talent and they are replacing, a talented list of injury troubled players. 2023 had better be planned and executed with 2024 in mind.

Byrnes, NWM, Owens, Caminiti and Phillipou are coming on. Throw in Wood, Gresham and Hotton part time and King, Membrey and Higgins as full time forwards and we will look pretty dangerous this time next year.

Crossy66
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 9:24am

Byrnes

Yep, very unfairly.

I like both players.

Sizzler?

Great game, has lots to offer, but his disposal is an issue for him. Just needs to play within his limitations. Hope he can cement a spot.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Mongrelpunt showing their St Kilda bias

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 23 Mar 2023 7:35pm Mongrelpunt showing their St Kilda bias
Most commentary on St.Kilda is either biased one way or another.

But based on all the evidence we have for Round 1, Byrnes, in his 28th? game, given a full opportunity, didn't fluke 14km, he didn't fluke the 27 possessions and he directly assisted in 2 goals by hitting 2 players in dangerous positions, lace out, out of 5 i50's. Yet, bias says he needs to improve his kicking, not many don't.

Those stats also indicate that, of all the players on the injury list, Byrnes placed himself in the company of Ross, Jones and Mackenzie for pace and endurance and Billings for inside 50 delivery and his upside will be an increase on output and kicking accuracy. He won 12 of his possessions contested and the other 15 with pace and endurance. That's a fair game on the wing with 80% played in defence.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Byrnes was a highly rated junior. Captain of the Dragons and won their Best and Fairest as well. He also represented Vic Metro.

Not sure why he was written off. I expect him to be a good player for the next 10+ years.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 24 Mar 2023 8:01am Byrnes was a highly rated junior. Captain of the Dragons and won their Best and Fairest as well. He also represented Vic Metro.

Not sure why he was written off. I expect him to be a good player for the next 10+ years.
Not a bad profile

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/ryan-byrnes/

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 24 Mar 2023 8:01am Byrnes was a highly rated junior. Captain of the Dragons and won their Best and Fairest as well. He also represented Vic Metro.

From recollection - he debuted early and was not competitive at senior level at all.

Came back a while later and had actually improved quite markedly and there were a lot of signs that he would be a good pick.

He then had a little stretch where he was in and out on merit which was fine. Then I think it was 2021 but maybe off where most were hoping he’d elevate to be top 22 consistently and he was just off the pace. Didn’t get a lot of ball, disposal was iffy etc. I think most here still hoped that he would have his break out year last year but Byrnes seemingly fell even further off the pace… landed in the category of can he get enough ball, is his disposal average, does he actually have any weapons etc

From memory, he featured amongst delist conversations in the off-season (not overly so but noticeably) and there was commentary about whether he had the tank to be a mid or should he move to a flank/pocket which was complicated by the query on his disposal.

I think what was missing was a big performance that showed us this guy actually has a high ceiling. Obviously one game a season does not make but boy Byrnes emphatically put that to bed. Now the hope is that he stays at a standard that is clearly top 22 as opposed to making us wonder if it was a fluke.