Rate Ryan Byrnes’ game!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Rate Ryan Byrnes’ game!

27 touches -
19 kicks, 8 handballs, 1 tackle, 5 marks

On stats… a fantastic performance. Was lively and present all day and quite a few had him in the votes but I have to say that his numbers surprised me a bit.

His best quarter was the second (10 touches) which felt to me like our worst.

Very hard for me to get a read on this kid. Obviously this was a big step forward from him from last year… was present all day, quality opposition, got lots of touches etc. is he damaging enough though?

The big challenge is his kicking which is a bit iffy at times… he has this odd kicking motion with his short kicks like he stabs at the ball… kind of accurate but goes up a lot.

I don’t know… what do others think? Seems like he may be a small step away from really elevating his game like he threatened to do a year or two back. What does he need to do and what’s his best role?

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Re: Rate Ryan Byrnes’ game!

He owned the wing today. If it wasn’t for his efforts in the second quarter we would have been a few goals down at half time. He looked at home with the game plan and knew his role. He was hard at the ball, hard at player and his decision making was enormous today. Easily the best game he has played and if he continues to play that way an easy lock for the year.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Well, I rated him BOG.

Saint supporter since '62
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Skeptic were you at the game? If so I wonder where you were sitting. I was on the outer wing, which meant I saw his second quarter up close and it was fantastic. I wonder if you were sitting in another position at the ground or even watching it on TV you could have missed just how vital he was at that time.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Tries his guts out but his kicking is a real worry, 2023 version of Clint Jones?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Before today I didn't really know where he fit in the side, what his role was or could be. Had the pace, could win a contested ball, questions on disposal.

After today he ticked all the boxes, keen to see him stay in the side. Was streets ahead of Bytel which I wasn't expecting after preseason.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 9:00pm Skeptic were you at the game? If so I wonder where you were sitting. I was on the outer wing, which meant I saw his second quarter up close and it was fantastic. I wonder if you were sitting in another position at the ground or even watching it on TV you could have missed just how vital he was at that time.
Yeah I wasn’t there and appreciate the insight. Saw it on TV.

Certainly don’t mean to knock the kid… best game I’ve seen him play and I was one of those that thought he was ready to explode heading into last year. I don’t know… didn’t seem as damaging to me as the numbers reflected.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

One our top few and easily the best work rate out there. Continued his preseason form. Laughable that many thought he wasn’t worthy of a game.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

A really good step in the right direction, still needs to tidy up his foot skills but he at least executed energy, intensity and attack on the ball to win it and then speed from the contest and drive the ball forward, not sure what his meters gained were but he'd be up there.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Great game, some poor disposal at times but similar to many other players. Played a cracker & deserves the accolades. If he plays every game close to this arvo's he's in for a huge pay rise...If?

King Max
Club Player

As a mark of respect, Dwayne has a special nickname for him. “Bytel”

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 9:28pm As a mark of respect, Dwayne has a special nickname for him. “Bytel”
Geeez that was infuriating. Just after the announcement that Bytel was off injured too.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Easily the best game I've seen him play, he owned one wing, and Mason Wood the other. He ran strongly both ways and looked clean, skilled and courageous for 4 quarters. With a game like that, Billings, Jones or McKenzie will find him difficult to displace.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 9:17pm A really good step in the right direction, still needs to tidy up his foot skills but he at least executed energy, intensity and attack on the ball to win it and then speed from the contest and drive the ball forward, not sure what his meters gained were but he'd be up there.
Well spotted Vortex… at a cursory level, appears to be our best in that regard with 580 about 5m clear of Steele who was the next best (I just checked the top few disposal getters).

Interestingly enough… Crouch way down compared to our other premier mids (in that regard) obviously passing a bit more out of the contest then the others.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 9:00pm Skeptic were you at the game? If so I wonder where you were sitting. I was on the outer wing, which meant I saw his second quarter up close and it was fantastic. I wonder if you were sitting in another position at the ground or even watching it on TV you could have missed just how vital he was at that time.
Was also on the outer wing, level 3 and I agree. Thought he was great. Best thing is to see him being influential. Let’s hope he keeps developing. Has go5bsome speed and ran hard all day. Would put him in the votes.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 9:17pm A really good step in the right direction, still needs to tidy up his foot skills but he at least executed energy, intensity and attack on the ball to win it and then speed from the contest and drive the ball forward, not sure what his meters gained were but he'd be up there.
Funny, I thought you said he would be delisted come season's end. Must have been mistaken. :wink:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 9:39pm
Well spotted Vortex… at a cursory level, appears to be our best in that regard with 580 about 5m clear of Steele who was the next best (I just checked the top few disposal getters).

Interestingly enough… Crouch way down compared to our other premier mids (in that regard) obviously passing a bit more out of the contest then the others.
Well there you go aye, 580m is a great stat for someone who has to prove running is his strength. Let's hope he can deliver on that most weeks.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Looks like this season Ryan wants to play games for the Saints than the Zebras!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 9:50pm
Funny, I thought you said he would be delisted come season's end. Must have been mistaken. :wink:
Funny thing is he might still so maybe don't do what a lot of other knuckle heads on this board do and go too early.

Could have played his best game tonight, and a lot of competition for his spot so maybe keep the powder dry.

But I'll be stoked if he becomes a flag type none the less.

StPeter
Club Player

Best game he has played for the club.

He is a player who, to me, keeps improving which is a good sign.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Just to put emphasis on his game today… based on stats

21 years old, 29 games -
Averages 12 touches a game, pretty much below average in all categories, averages 117m gained a game

Absolutely blew all of that out if the water today.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Have no confidence at all when he has the ball.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Me too, and he took his time, measured up and found a team mate by foot. Dudley might disagree but we had a bird's eye view. I doubt whether the broadcast cameras on the opposite side of the ground would have picked this up.

Saint supporter since '62
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

What stood out to me was his burst speed and that he likes to take the game on

He had a few kick shockers today but also showed that he can deliver lace out when he composes himself

I think with a few more games under Ross the feeling that he belongs and is good enough will grow and his skill level will improve

I like what I saw - he just needs to start to believe himself

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 10:16pm Have no confidence at all when he has the ball.
I feel this way about half our side
Having said that this was definitely one of his best games for us , hopefully with confidence he will continue to improve.

In red white and black from 73