Phillipou

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SuperDuper
Club Player

Re: Phillipou

Watched "all the goals" on saints website and Phillipou was involved in a lot of them.

1. A well weighted kick forward to Marshal who handed to Cordy to Gresh... goal
2. Another long ball from half back to Caminiti who brings ball to ground,.. Higgins, Clark, Higgins goal
3. Marks and goals himself
4. Almost took a mark in the hot spot, arm chopped, awarded a free but the ball spilled to Owens who played the advantage for a goal.
5. Showed good awareness with a hand off to Wood who kicked a goal.
6. Gets both hands to a marking contest in the hot spot from a Sinclair long ball. Spills the mark (under pressure) but is able to tap the ball to Gresham who goals.
7. Good movement to recieve from Caminiti, good vision to find hill in space (slightly missed target but put ball in front of Hill). Hill runs on to it..Hill to Caminiti in the hotspot, to Wood, goal

So he was involved in 7 of the 10 goals.

i almost added the last goal as well, for involvement 8, because Phillipou was one of the players, along with Clark and Crouch, putting pressure on the Freo forwards when Cordy eventually tackled Young for a free kick and goal.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

And he knows where the goals are - with Gresham one he puts his hands up in celebration without even turning to see it go through!

Not saying he is a GOAT but damn - a lovely debut!

This year was made for the 18 yo

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Pick 9 must be some special talent.

bakes
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote: Wed 22 Mar 2023 8:19am Watched "all the goals" on saints website and Phillipou was involved in a lot of them.

2. Another long ball from half back to Caminiti who brings ball to ground,.. Higgins, Clark, Higgins goal
4. Almost took a mark in the hot spot, arm chopped, awarded a free but the ball spilled to Owens who played the advantage for a goal.
6. Gets both hands to a marking contest in the hot spot from a Sinclair long ball. Spills the mark (under pressure) but is able to tap the ball to Gresham who goals.
7. Good movement to recieve from Caminiti, good vision to find hill in space (slightly missed target but put ball in front of Hill). Hill runs on to it..Hill to Caminiti in the hotspot, to Wood, goal

i almost added the last goal as well, for involvement 8, because Phillipou was one of the players, along with Clark and Crouch, putting pressure on the Freo forwards when Cordy eventually tackled Young for a free kick and goal.
Spot on, the AFL website shows that he had 6 Score Involvements. He came equal 2nd in this stat, only trailling Mason Wood who had 7 Score Involvements.

Also, the AFL stats said that Phillipou had 2 Centre Clearances, is that right? Was he at some of the centre bounces? Side note: Hunter Clark led with 3 Centre Clearances and only had 59% game time.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

bakes wrote: Wed 22 Mar 2023 9:26am
SuperDuper wrote: Wed 22 Mar 2023 8:19am Watched "all the goals" on saints website and Phillipou was involved in a lot of them.

Spot on, the AFL website shows that he had 6 Score Involvements. He came equal 2nd in this stat, only trailling Mason Wood who had 7 Score Involvements.

Also, the AFL stats said that Phillipou had 2 Centre Clearances, is that right? Was he at some of the centre bounces? Side note: Hunter Clark led with 3 Centre Clearances and only had 59% game time.
I mean I already thought he was impressive but in this context, he might just be a super player

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Just let the boy play and learn

not calling him a superstar after 1 outing

He looks very good - but he’s got plenty of development to do

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Phillipou is elite. He thinks elite, he looks elite, he is a forward, a midfielder and I've no doubt he could defend. He will learn heaps very quickly and enable the progress of others by his output.
He was bottom age as a junior and excelled, he had a choice between elite basketball or afl. Like his little mate said after his debut, 'this is what he lives for' then all I can say is 'long live the Pou and long may his reign be'
We got extremely lucky he lasted to our pick.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Moves like a taller, stronger version of Dal Santo and appears to have springs in his boots and good hands. Exciting prospect

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

There was also a moment in the first qtr on the outer wing where he marked the ball, shaped to move boundary side, totally sucked the Freo player in and then smoothly changed direction and went inside. It was with10.30 to go in the 1st.
It wasn’t far from me and I noticed at the time the poise and balance he showed. Made time and space for himself….smooth….

He might still have some growing to do as well. Saints website says 190cm. Thought he was taller than that already.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I’ve been watching footy for 45 years and he’s just got it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 22 Mar 2023 11:17pm I’ve been watching footy for 45 years and he’s just got it.
Same here.
And oh boy does he have it.

The only other bloke on our list that has it as much as #25 is Sinclair.
Sinclair was a slow burn to get where he is at today.

#25 just freakin oozes it.

At first I thought he as a bit cocky, but he's not. Just confident and honest without a lot of filter. He just loves it.

Cant wait for his next game.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

bigred wrote: Thu 23 Mar 2023 12:18am
SaintPav wrote: Wed 22 Mar 2023 11:17pm I’ve been watching footy for 45 years and he’s just got it.
Same here.
And oh boy does he have it.

The only other bloke on our list that has it as much as #25 is Sinclair.
Sinclair was a slow burn to get where he is at today.

#25 just freakin oozes it.

At first I thought he as a bit cocky, but he's not. Just confident and honest without a lot of filter. He just loves it.

Cant wait for his next game.
He's so damn exciting, sure.
First game, though. Be patient. He's young

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee