Match Thread Saints v Freo Round 1 2023

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match Thread Saints v Freo Round 1 2023

V man ... ffs

what happened to the peacepipe
or the peace train
or whatever the faaaark it was !!

jeezus wept

ya GOTTA go the flow jo

current moderation is way betterer than what we had

personally , i thought , that because Curls broke the Ratts sacking story ... he could be God for a year

but seemingly not

SO

imo , fwtw , re the match day thread

first person to whinge gets banned
then the second

that'll fix that issue

give Curls 1 post about the umps per quarter

that'll fix that issue

and then continue aftermatch as normal programming
for Curls AS for the whingers ... if they wanna go on with it

fair dinkum

the end story here is

whatever Byron says
i'm backing him in .

so i wont be saving your arse.

rectum head retract

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

If it was just me and Dud and one or two others who find Curly's obsession ruins the match threads, then there might be some merit in suggesting that my personal preference is all that's in play in moderating this issue. . But it seems to me there are at least as many if not more posters who find it tiresome than those who don't. It's like sitting in front of someone at the footy who constantly shouts out the same one eyed abuse over and over and over, regardless of its accuracy. There will be people who don't care and people for whom it pretty quickly becomes tiresome and tedious So some people aren't going to like my choice as mod, whatever it is. Bottom line is, 'do the posts in question cause repeated disturbances in the match thread for multiple posters?' Yes they do. So the choice is clear. And Curly has the option of starting a separate thread regarding the umpiring. That way everyone who wants to can bag the umps as much as they like and those who don't want to read it don't have to.

Regarding poster diversity, it appears to me that the start of the season and a concurrent absence of conflict has seen a marked increase in the diversity of people posting.

Vortex, since you have desisted in the past couple of weeks from condescension, personal abuse, baiting and tolling there have been zero conflicts on here. Zero. If you're unable to sustain that abstinence, there will only be one outcome.

And finally, if a poster being the object of a personal vendetta is something that genuinely concerns you, then I suggest you review your history of posts and PMs towards myself.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

giving peace a chance by john lennon on high rotation

thats what it was !!

well :P

that'd send any donkey over the wrong edge

... listen to porcupine tree instead

that'll fix ya

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 8:20pm
give Curls 1 post about the umps per quarter

that'll fix that issue

and then continue aftermatch as normal programming
for Curls AS for the whingers ... if they wanna go on with it
Which is pretty much what I've been saying. Posting about the umpiring is the match thread is fine, just not repetitively repeating the same agenda 8 times per quarter. Curly was asked multiple times to tone it down but was unable to curb his enthusiasm, hence the need to ask him to start another thread..

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 6:37pm
st.byron wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 5:44pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 5:22pm
st.byron wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 4:29pm
saynta wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 2:46pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 6:39pm St Byron, I know you’re at the footy so shouldn’t be worrying about this joint, but round 1 is the time to set the standard for the year regarding spamming this thread with umpiring whinging, even when asked specifically not to.
You are not a mod or a f****** censor so stop trying to be both.
There are posters on both sides of the fence when it comes to commenting on umpiring in the match thread.
So here's my take on it.

Commenting on the umpiring is fine and part of going to to the footy.
However if that commenting becomes obsessive, relentless and manifestly one eyed there's a point where it becomes spam. Relentless being the key word here.

There are a few posters who regularly diss the umpiring and others who regularly disagree with them. May I suggest guys that no ground is going to be given so you generally agree to disagree.

Clearly, Curly you are the most avid critic of the umpiring. I've made it clear over a few seasons now that spamming the match thread with umpiring comments won't be allowed. There was one thread a couple of seasons ago where you made 35 comments in the match thread and 32 of them were about the umpiring being biased against the Saints. That's an average of 8 per quarter or one every four minutes or less. My interpretation of that kind of posting is that it constitutes spam.

Curly has been asked many times to not spam the match thread and experience has shown that if unchecked, his umpiring posts and the arguments arising from them come to dominate the match thread. Hence, a few comments are within the bounds of reason but beyond that, please start a separate thread about umpiring so the match thread doesn't descend into a s*** fight.
Moderating against a personality again and not to the rules again.

Why cant the ones doing the complaining just use the FOE function. That's' what its there for.

Be a damn shame to lose more personalities like Curly, I love what he brings to the site.

If you aren't careful you will only be left with a half a dozen old and intolerant cranky old men on this site.
Vortex, I advise you to be very careful. Leopards and spots. I noticed your previous comments in this thread,
"if you are 13 years old and still collect Scanlan footy cards I suppose that makes sense"

and

"it's hard concept to grab for those that don't understand some fundamentals of the game.."

Stay away from personally derogatory commenting or s*** stirring. You are on thin ice.

No I'm not moderating to a personality. My aim is to keep fights, abuse and ongoing disputes off the forum.
Curly's umpiring posts in the match thread contravene this rule,

"Do not spam the forum board with multiple posts designed to disrupt the harmony of the board. This may include repeating a point of view over and over, when such posts cause the forum to descend into abuse. Such disruption will result in a 1 WEEK BAN."
There has always been a relaxation of moderation on game day threads, ALWAYS!

Everyone has a few drinks and the banter get's colourful in game day threads, but your power tripping seems to be getting worse and you just completely don't moderate to the spirit of the occasion, it just doesn't occur to you that the posters complaining probably also are on the juice and playing games.

It can be simply moderated by telling the complainers to use the FOE button but for some reason you chose to ignore that the complainers love the game and you are pandering and aiding them in their games.

You are killing this site St.Byron and you can twist it any way you like but you are moderating to personalities, targeting Curly just is completely losing the plot and you are continuing to drive away some of our most colourful and more interesting personalities. The site is boiling down to a half a dozen grumpy and intolerant individuals.
My only gripe with St Byron is that he hasnt got rid of you ages ago..his thankless job here is to moderate and keep some sort of decorum.
You on the other hand want to cause problems on here with your baiting posts and chest beating multiple quote posts..if the site is boiling down to a few grumpy old men then fine..stay on BF and dont come back
As far as Curly is concerned he's fine, just needs a seperate thread for his game day umpire rants which leaves the gameday thread to those with two eyes.
you...can piss right off.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 9:02pm giving peace a chance by john lennon on high rotation

thats what it was !!

well :P

that'd send any donkey over the wrong edge

... listen to porcupine tree instead

that'll fix ya
peace is overated ;)

asiu
Saintsational Legend

:D @firery

and that's why V man
that your arse is un-saveable

you've organically gone 'n put yourself on the chopping block

there's no 'injustice' that i can rally the troops behind

i'd miss u terribly

i quite liked the scanlon footy card comment
'n thought it quite apt

butt , my headless friend

it's sneakily organic
... NOT : here i am chop my head off

ffs.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

look if you could all refrain form posting on gameday threads, and leave it to me, all will be fine. sensible concise comments or platitudes, no bloody quoting into infinity, and no argy bargy dick jousting competitions.
you're all welcome to read it, just keep your fingers away from that post button.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 10:36pm look if you could all refrain form posting on gameday threads, and leave it to me, all will be fine. sensible concise comments or platitudes, no bloody quoting into infinity, and no argy bargy dick jousting competitions.
you're all welcome to read it, just keep your fingers away from that post button.
As long as your thoughts, align with mine, I’m all for it

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

What gets me is Wilkie knew he had the other bloke by the jumper? I love the passion of trying but it's not a good look. He will cop flak and won't do that again.

But the Steele one that was a shocker, there was very little in the way of dissent, unless he swore.

Passion is a great thing.

Curly should be able to express himself. So should Dud. But it if you respond to Curly, you are acting under your own steam. Interestingly, Dud goes over to a post dedicated to the umpires and starts the same s*** and needed to be reminded to pull up or retract his s*** about the matchday thread.

St.Byron, if you are going to name Dud as one who protests, then you might take his effort in the other thread into consideration, that his motive in the round 1 match day thread is indeed trolling.

People agree with Curly quite often, I know in the moment that I often do. If Dud responded to most people in the bar like he does here to Curly, who is directing his angst at the umpire, then I'd probably ask Curly to take his hands off his throat and seperate the two. Then I'd ban the provocateur.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 11:18pm What gets me is Wilkie knew he had the other bloke by the jumper? I love the passion of trying but it's not a good look. He will cop flak and won't do that again.

But the Steele one that was a shocker, there was very little in the way of dissent, unless he swore.

Curly should be able to express himself. So should Dud. But it if you respond to Curly, you are acting under your own steam. Interestingly, Dud goes over to a post dedicated to the umpires and starts the same s*** and needed to be reminded to pull up or retract his s*** about the matchday thread.

St.Byron, if you are going to name Dud as one who protests, then you might take his effort in the other thread into consideration, that his motive in the round 1 match day thread is indeed trolling.

People agree with Curly quite often, I know in the moment that I often do. If Dud responded to most people in the bar like he does here to Curly, who is directing his angst at the umpire, then I'd probably ask Curly to take his hands off his throat and seperate the two. Then I'd ban the provocateur.
In the match thread they can knock the selves out so long as it doesn’t become repetitive to the point iof spam. Coz when that happens the hatch thread becomes all about that issue, As though the whole match is see through the lens of how the umps are cheating- screwing us et al.Everything else becomes secondary to potting the umpiring. To me, it’s as boring as batshit

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

CQ would you agree curly is over obsessive about the umpires.? Accusing them of cheating etc ?
And doing so every single game ?
He can’t help himself so I don’t believe he is being purposely disruptive and that’s fine but it would be nice if he didn’t clutter the game day thread with irrational jargon I read his other posts with interest

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I like St Byron wiggle.

Thing is in our game
Backs are pinged in one on one tussles more than forwards. Except for Max. Umpires know AFL wants scoring.
Umpiring is inherently inconsistent therefore unfair.
Bottom sides, derided sides, e.g. Saints never get 50/50s, often not 65/35s.
It's a cross we carry until we start having winning seasons.
AFL Umpires are ok, but not top notch in complex decisions. Sometimes they are inexplicable.
However if we agree Umpires will shaft us often either through group think or confirmation bias or just make human errors then there is no need to comment. Take it as a given.
Umpires short change us, Marvel roof is shut, beers are exorbitant, ground announcer annoying, tram home will be crowded, players never give a footy to someone over 8, guy behind belches like Rotorua.......
Peace is a nice sentiment as is appreciation for St Byron. Certainly is a Saint given his tolerance level.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 11:50pm CQ would you agree curly is over obsessive about the umpires.? Accusing them of cheating etc ?
And doing so every single game ?
He can’t help himself so I don’t believe he is being purposely disruptive and that’s fine but it would be nice if he didn’t clutter the game day thread with irrational jargon I read his other posts with interest
Yes I'd agree. Does it bother me, no.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 8:55pm If it was just me and Dud and one or two others who find Curly's obsession ruins the match threads, then there might be some merit in suggesting that my personal preference is all that's in play in moderating this issue. . But it seems to me there are at least as many if not more posters who find it tiresome than those who don't. It's like sitting in front of someone at the footy who constantly shouts out the same one eyed abuse over and over and over, regardless of its accuracy. There will be people who don't care and people for whom it pretty quickly becomes tiresome and tedious So some people aren't going to like my choice as mod, whatever it is. Bottom line is, 'do the posts in question cause repeated disturbances in the match thread for multiple posters?' Yes they do. So the choice is clear. And Curly has the option of starting a separate thread regarding the umpiring. That way everyone who wants to can bag the umps as much as they like and those who don't want to read it don't have to.

Regarding poster diversity, it appears to me that the start of the season and a concurrent absence of conflict has seen a marked increase in the diversity of people posting.

Vortex, since you have desisted in the past couple of weeks from condescension, personal abuse, baiting and tolling there have been zero conflicts on here. Zero. If you're unable to sustain that abstinence, there will only be one outcome.

And finally, if a poster being the object of a personal vendetta is something that genuinely concerns you, then I suggest you review your history of posts and PMs towards myself.
Actually - it is not Curly's comments on the Umpires that most people find boorish - it is constant bickering between the Dud and Curly - both trying to point score and it can take over a whole thread

Who is worse - Dud by far - Curly bates him - and he always repsonds - ALWAYS! and it is probably 1/4 of the whole thread

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 6:17am
Actually - it is not Curly's comments on the Umpires that most people find boorish - it is constant bickering between the Dud and Curly - both trying to point score and it can take over a whole thread

Who is worse - Dud by far - Curly bates him - and he always repsonds - ALWAYS! and it is probably 1/4 of the whole thread
Agree that the ongoing dispute is tedious - as is any ongoing dispute.

Clearly there are opposing perspectives amongst posters on this issue. Hard though to claim with any certainty what ‘most people find boorish’. Certainly some agree with what you’ve said, but not at all clear that it’s most. Not even clear that it’s a majority.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The players and umpires have a pretty good relationship, and if a 50mt is given, then it would be an obvious breaking of a rule- the players know that, and if they don't, then the coach needs to sit them on his knee and have good talk. I suspect RL would have had a very quiet chat to Wilke, Steele, and Howard, but more likely just an assassin stare in their faces.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Curly and Dud could just foe each other for the season proper and the issue is done.
Totally up to themof course but given dud whinges about curly numerous times every single game thread i'm at a loss as to why he hasn't already done so. unless...

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 6:17am

I would suggest you re-read the thread my friend.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 11:41pm

To me, it’s as boring as batshit,

This comment couldn't make my point any more sussinctly....meaning you are moderating the personality and not the rules.

Ever been to the footy and sat next to Beryl and the Blue Rinse Brigade, all of them knitting way with great fury and anger, all types of scarfs and beanies for generations of chilen' to come, all giving it to the umpires, all clueless about the rules and nuances of Aussie Rules.

It can be bloody annoying right, especially if the RW&B are not doing so well, but not once have I had the inkling to drop into their woolen production line and tell them they aren't doing knitting properly.

And Crickey it's never occurred to me to ask them to take their knitting elsewhere.

So many posters who I see their nic and gloss over it, easy as, and then some days I'm in the mood for even reading Sayntaz posts just for a giggle.

I don't get why it's so hard, and then there is the FOE button.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 11:18pm What gets me is Wilkie knew he had the other bloke by the jumper? I love the passion of trying but it's not a good look. He will cop flak and won't do that again.

Please show me one instance during the game where I responded to Curly.

And discussing the umpiring in a thread dedicated to discussing the umpiring? Blasphemy.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 8:30am Curly and Dud could just foe each other for the season proper and the issue is done.
Totally up to themof course but given dud whinges about curly numerous times every single game thread i'm at a loss as to why he hasn't already done so. unless...
or ... a pre match foe fest

just before the umps first involvement
so as there's commentary not , on the ...

handing the coin incorrectly to the coin tosser
or worse , tossing the thing after showing/not showing
the incorrect captain his 'call' point at launch

then an un foe fest

to return to normal programming

too easy

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 8:55am
st.byron wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 11:41pm

To me, it’s as boring as batshit,

This comment couldn't make my point any more sussinctly....meaning you are moderating the personality and not the rules.

Ever been to the footy and sat next to Beryl and the Blue Rinse Brigade, all of them knitting way with great fury and anger, all types of scarfs and beanies for generations of chilen' to come, all giving it to the umpires, all clueless about the rules and nuances of Aussie Rules.

It can be bloody annoying right, especially if the RW&B are not doing so well, but not once have I had the inkling to drop into their woolen production line and tell them they aren't doing knitting properly.

And Crickey it's never occurred to me to ask them to take their knitting elsewhere.

So many posters who I see their nic and gloss over it, easy as, and then some days I'm in the mood for even reading Sayntaz posts just for a giggle.

I don't get why it's so hard, and then there is the FOE button.
Take your knitting elsewhere

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 9:00am

Please show me one instance during the game where I responded to Curly.

And discussing the umpiring in a thread dedicated to discussing the umpiring? Blasphemy.
Curly posted, you responded by asking Byron to do something. Could it be any clearer what your motive is?
Its clear that the poster and not the topic are your problem, you made nothing of anyone else who also made comments on the umpire.
Somehow, you think Curly is responsible for the responses of yourself and others.
You got found out by Saynta and now your trying to seperate matchday and umpire discussion. Have your say and leave it at that, why bring attention to Curly.
My kids blame each other for their own behaviour quite often.
I hope they mature at some stage before they enter the public domain independently.
The mum and the moderators won't be there to help them.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 9:27am
desertsaint wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 8:30am Curly and Dud could just foe each other for the season proper and the issue is done.
or ... a pre match foe fest

just before the umps first involvement
so as there's commentary not , on the ...

handing the coin incorrectly to the coin tosser
or worse , tossing the thing after showing/not showing
the incorrect captain his 'call' point at launch

then an un foe fest

to return to normal programming

too easy
This is the type of creative thinking we need more of.

Interesting fun fact

I am generally and totally against the concept of the FOE button but I have one person on my FOE list.

Dud is just too one dimensional for my liking, he's probably a ripping fella but I just felt it worked for me.

Which is a shame because I'm probably denying myself of some rich content, but I like a bit of light N shade.

Maybe there is something in that for all of us.