Match Thread Saints v Freo Round 1 2023

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Re: Match Thread Saints v Freo Round 1 2023

chook23 wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 7:46pm 23,000 odd

What a disappointing home crowd

Really poor
23,429 was a pretty good attendance for the graveyard shift and our supporters were in fine voice.

Plus, you have to understand most the Dockers supporters at the game were probably on day release and would probably struggle to be home before curfew.

Saint supporter since '62
stkfc1
Club Player

Great win.

Loved how we kept our structure throughout the game. Most noticeable difference from last year.

Effort was fantastic. Errors were there but always happens R1.

The newbies all played well.

Clark looked great.

Wood's is finally playing to his potential. Was fantastic today.

Great game by Byrnes and Bytel.

Massive effort from RoMo.

We have 1 too many small forwards. Butler, Gresh and Higgins doesn't work. Not sure what we do there.

No one picked us. All the "experts" on SEN all week was saying Freo was the lock of the round so stick that up ya, ya bunch of flogs!!

Go Saints!!

Saintmike65
Club Player

Make no mistake, we had no right to win that game.
Kudos to our coaching panel to conjure up an unlikely win.
14 injured, with our first choice tall forwards all unavailable, this was a magnificent effort by all involved.
So pleased for for Byrnes and Bytel, both players playing for their careers.

therabbitinthehat
Club Player

23k at a family unfriendly time against an interstate team with little to no local fanbase = pretty good turnout imho

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 8:01pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 7:57pm

Really poor
We were there

I won’t be able to speak tomorrow

Fantastic to feel the deafening foot stamping

23k for underdogs against the Furple Paze was pretty good
I was too

I think a few threw the towel in

Crowd size poor

Sunday arvo 4:40 local cricket GF final day put any clubs v Freo and the numbers would be similar.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 8:01pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 7:57pm

Really poor
We were there

I won’t be able to speak tomorrow

Fantastic to feel the deafening foot stamping

23k for underdogs against the Furple Paze was pretty good
I was too

I think a few threw the towel in

Crowd size poor

Sunday arvo 4:40 local cricket GF final day put any clubs v Freo and the numbers would be similar.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
King Max
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 6:54pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 6:39pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 6:36pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 6:16pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 6:12pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 6:01pm

I thought Cordy was a garbage choice considering he’s not a forward, hasn’t played well as a forward, hasn’t been impressive and his preseason characterised by his lack of fitness… has been a complete non-factor so far.

I’d have preferred Sharman by a long shotop but not overly damaging. Hope to see Bytel get in amongst or some more. Made a bad decision early but he looks a goer for me

There's a fair amount of irony in these statements, probably for the same reason too many fans went way too early on Sharman and thought he was the answer to our next forward line super star.

Here we go again we are calling a player garbage after 2 quarters, just hilarious considering Cordy at least has some credits in the bank, namely he's played in a flag, time will tell that could be his peak but I don't need another minute of watching either player to know Cordy is the player 18 out of 18 coaches would have Cordy over Sharman on an AFL field for the time being.
I said it was a garbage decision and your criticism has nothing to do with the form parameters I mentioned. Try not to let your bias get in the way.

Is Cordy even playing still? 3 touches. Close to worst on ground
and yet you believe a player who was overtaken to a kid who's been at the club for 3 weeks would be better, my point being is maybe it's time to just reserve judgement before going too early on the ridiculous.
do you reckon Coops would have got more than 3 touches?

All I’m saying is that based on our preseason…
Both haven’t been great but Cordy came in as a defender, out of shape, in form, hasn’t played well as a forward and had a lacklustre preseason.

Coops came back in better shape, plays as a forward and has had ok games as a forward.

Experience doesn’t mean anything if you’re not in a position not to do well…
It was very predictable that Cordy would present as very very poor in this game and so far he has met those expectations
mate I don't give a dead set farg about how many touches Cordy has got, so what if he's played a shocker so far, the fact is he's got one million more credits in the bank compared with Sharman, so for sure, call out a player like Cordy for not having an impact so far but for crying out loud have some self respect for having a bigger clue and at least suggest a player to be the alternative who isn't spud
Checks out.

Cordy 12 goals in 118 games.
Sharman 13 in 15

Cordy caught him today.

Gershwin
Club Player

I thought Freo were very poor.
We were better and deserved the win.
And we can get much better than that.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 8:40pm

I thought Cordy was a garbage choice considering he’s not a forward, hasn’t played well as a forward, hasn’t been impressive and his preseason characterised by his lack of fitness… has been a complete non-factor so far.

I’d have preferred Sharman by a long shotop but not overly damaging. Hope to see Bytel get in amongst or some more. Made a bad decision early but he looks a goer for me

There's a fair amount of irony in these statements, probably for the same reason too many fans went way too early on Sharman and thought he was the answer to our next forward line super star.

Here we go again we are calling a player garbage after 2 quarters, just hilarious considering Cordy at least has some credits in the bank, namely he's played in a flag, time will tell that could be his peak but I don't need another minute of watching either player to know Cordy is the player 18 out of 18 coaches would have Cordy over Sharman on an AFL field for the time being.
I said it was a garbage decision and your criticism has nothing to do with the form parameters I mentioned. Try not to let your bias get in the way.

and yet you believe a player who was overtaken to a kid who's been at the club for 3 weeks would be better, my point being is maybe it's time to just reserve judgement before going too early on the ridiculous.

Both haven’t been great but Cordy came in as a defender, out of shape, in form, hasn’t played well as a forward and had a lacklustre preseason.

Coops came back in better shape, plays as a forward and has had ok games as a forward.

It was very predictable that Cordy would present as very very poor in this game and so far he has met those expectations
mate I don't give a dead set farg about how many touches Cordy has got, so what if he's played a shocker so far, the fact is he's got one million more credits in the bank compared with Sharman, so for sure, call out a player like Cordy for not having an impact so far but for crying out loud have some self respect for having a bigger clue and at least suggest a player to be the alternative who isn't spud
Checks out.

Sharman 13 in 15

Cordy caught him today.
if you are 13 years old and still collect Scanlan footy cards I suppose that makes sense, they play totally different roles with complete different skill sets, one has some, the other not so much...and any fan who thinks Cordy is a forward or doesn't understand he's filling a gap while we get through the injury crisis seriously hasn't got a clue and probably should apply to St. Byron for a full time role as the SS special comments poster.

King Max
Club Player

So if they needed someone to play as a forward Cordy was a better option than Sharman? OK.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 8:48pm

Checks out.

Sharman 13 in 15

Cordy caught him today.
if you are 13 years old and still collect Scanlan footy cards I suppose that makes sense, they play totally different roles with complete different skill sets, one has some, the other not so much...and any fan who thinks Cordy is a forward or doesn't understand he's filling a gap while we get through the injury crisis seriously hasn't got a clue and probably should apply to St. Byron for a full time role as the SS special comments poster.

Hilarious Vortex keeps disparaging sharmen who isn't even playing ...it's psychotic his hate for a saints player ..

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 8:53pm So if they needed someone to play as a forward Cordy was a better option than Sharman? OK.
it's hard concept to grab for those that don't understand some fundamentals of the game but based on the very basic fact there was literally no AFL capable players left on the list then Cordy was the obvious choice to fill the gap and clearly his role was to bring it to ground which probably doesn't show up in fantasy points but Cordy brought the ball to ground where most of our goals were scored from, don't think I have ever seen Sharman bring it to ground in a one on one in the forward line ever. Only ever seen him rag dolled in a one on ones...

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 8:54pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 8:48pm

Checks out.

Sharman 13 in 15

Cordy caught him today.

Hilarious Vortex keeps disparaging sharmen who isn't even playing ...it's psychotic his hate for a saints player ..
not at all just debating the merits of footy which is probably why you are struggling to see what is even being debated.

Lennylegs
Club Player

Gershwin wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 8:44pm I thought Freo were very poor.
Freo's ball movement will have them going nowhere. Playing 2018 footy.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Here we go again multi quoted chest beating . And who is the common denominator ?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Lennylegs wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 9:11pm
Was that them or us though? I feel like we strangled there movement to a degree. Serong and Broadie both stepped up a bit in the last but were way down on influence. Hard to tell but seems to me like a bit of the credit goes to the coaches tonight.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 9:19pm
Was that them or us though? I feel like we strangled there movement to a degree. Serong and Broadie both stepped up a bit in the last but were way down on influence. Hard to tell but seems to me like a bit of the credit goes to the coaches tonight.
Agreed … I noticed straight away that we had a good defensive game plan and said so earlier

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Anyone know who played on Bradshaw in the last?

23 touches to 3/4 times, coming off 7 in the third… had 10 in the second as they looked to get on top… blanketed in the last with just 2 kicks and a handball.

Pbly the difference between a win and a loss.

Lennylegs
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 9:19pm
Fair call. But they're uncontested kings. We were the same last year. Got us nowhere.

But I appreciate your point.

Lennylegs
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 9:48pm Anyone know who played on Bradshaw in the last?

23 touches to 3/4 times, coming off 7 in the third… had 10 in the second as they looked to get on top… blanketed in the last with just 2 kicks and a handball.

Pbly the difference between a win and a loss.
That's actually a great observation. I kept worrying about him in the last quarter.

I guess it would've been bytel of Byrnes, though I'll have to watch it again.

King Max
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 9:03pm
King Max wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 8:53pm So if they needed someone to play as a forward Cordy was a better option than Sharman? OK.
it's hard concept to grab for those that don't understand some fundamentals of the game but based on the very basic fact there was literally no AFL capable players left on the list then Cordy was the obvious choice to fill the gap and clearly his role was to bring it to ground which probably doesn't show up in fantasy points but Cordy brought the ball to ground where most of our goals were scored from, don't think I have ever seen Sharman bring it to ground in a one on one in the forward line ever. Only ever seen him rag dolled in a one on ones...
I just finished watching the game. I didn’t see Cordy bring the ball to ground at all. Then there’s this:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 10:53pm
I just finished watching the game. I didn’t see Cordy bring the ball to ground at all. Then there’s this:

And then there was Ross in his presser praising Cordy for brining the ball to ground, so I'm going to go with my eyes and Ross's eyes.

Not sure why anyone would argue Sharman should have played instead of Cordy, clearly are watching with sticks in their eyes.

Bring guns to a knife fight please.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Surely he wasn’t playing on Brennan Cox?

The guy that had 22 kicks, 8 handballs, 20 marks, and 450m gained!!!

Geeez if that’s the case, I take back my compliment for sealing the win for us… that would make Cordy an absolutely liability that nearly sunk us.

Disastrous selection if true

King Max
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 10:59pm

And then there was Ross in his presser praising Cordy for brining the ball to ground, so I'm going to go with my eyes and Ross's eyes.

Not sure why anyone would argue Sharman should have played instead of Cordy, clearly are watching with sticks in their eyes.

No doubt you can name a few occasions where we benefited from Cordy “brining” the ball to the ground.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 11:16pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 10:59pm

No doubt you can name a few occasions where we benefited from Cordy “brining” the ball to the ground.
Nah I can't I just made that up, Ross made it up too so maybe both of us didn't watch the game like you did.